UK Labour Party Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Labour Party Watch

#9641  Postby ronmcd » Aug 26, 2016 8:55 am

Wowsers. This could be *fucking hilarious*.

On Radio Scotland this morning, Paul Sinclair ex Scottish Labour spin doctor said :
Paul Sinclair says Corbyn win will spark Rowley leadership challenge in Scotland and Scottish Labour will split.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9642  Postby ronmcd » Aug 26, 2016 9:00 am

Give them their due though, it was a good night for Scottish Labour last night. They won a council seat! Woohoo!

Unfortunately, they won it on these numbers:
The Lochs (Fife) first preferences:
LAB: 47.1% (+0.7)
SNP: 38.6% (+19.6)
CON: 9.6% (+7.0)
COM: 3.1% (-24.4)
GRN: 1.6% (+1.6)

like the North Ayrshire election a week ago, Labour won the seat helped by TORY second preferences, while being trounced significantly caught up :smile: by SNP on first. Looks like the Communists moved from labour to SNP! LOL

Oh, and the winning Labour candidate? Supports independence.

Scottish Labour, a branch on the way up, no doubt. Sarah Smith will be delighted.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9643  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 26, 2016 9:06 am

I suppose Jeremy got involved there.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9645  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 26, 2016 9:27 am

Well he is JC. He is everywhere where his father is.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9647  Postby logical bob » Aug 26, 2016 9:35 am

ronmcd wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I suppose Jeremy got involved there.

Did Jeremy kick & then run over your cat in the 70's, or something?

I liked this post because it made me laugh, but then I had to unlike it again because of the spurious apostrophe. Sorry, but standards have to be maintained.
logical bob

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9648  Postby ronmcd » Aug 26, 2016 10:22 am

logical bob wrote:
ronmcd wrote:

I liked this post because it made me laugh, but then I had to unlike it again because of the spurious apostrophe. Sorry, but standards have to be maintained.

Its true. Shame'd.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9649  Postby zoon » Aug 26, 2016 10:26 am

logical bob wrote:
ronmcd wrote:

I was about to say that was an illegitimate use of spurious, but I'm still learning English :oops:
zoon

Print view this post

#9650  Postby ronmcd » Aug 26, 2016 10:34 am

zoon wrote:
logical bob wrote:
ronmcd wrote:

I was about to say that was an illegitimate use of spurious, but I'm still learning English :oops:

Hmm, probably right. Gratuitous or superfluous perhaps.

[scot]Just like Corbyn! [/end scot]
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9651  Postby logical bob » Aug 26, 2016 10:42 am

zoon wrote:I was about to say that was an illegitimate use of spurious, but I'm still learning English :oops:

If you'd said that it would have been a spurious use of illegitimate. :P

Respect, by the way. I'd always taken you for a native speaker. In the big picture, we're all of us still learning English.
logical bob

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9652  Postby zoon » Aug 26, 2016 10:45 am

logical bob wrote:
zoon wrote:I was about to say that was an illegitimate use of spurious, but I'm still learning English :oops:

If you'd said that it would have been a spurious use of illegitimate. :P

Respect, by the way. I'd always taken you for a native speaker. In the big picture, we're all of us still learning English.

I am a native speaker, my claim to your respect was spurious as well as inadvertent, I was speaking of the bigger picture. :cheers:
Last edited by zoon on Aug 26, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoon

Print view this post

#9653  Postby chairman bill » Aug 26, 2016 10:47 am

logical bob wrote:... we're all of us still learning English.

I think Scot & mrjonno are unlearning English. I've seen some of their posts.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9654  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 26, 2016 10:54 am

chairman bill wrote:
logical bob wrote:... we're all of us still learning English.

I think Scot & mrjonno are unlearning English. I've seen some of their posts.

When are you going to learn? I never comment on your mistakes as they are far too numerous.

The oh so perfects here.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9655  Postby chairman bill » Aug 26, 2016 11:02 am

When are you going to get a sense of humour? It's called 'taking the piss'.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9656  Postby ronmcd » Aug 27, 2016 9:05 am

chairman bill wrote:When are you going to get a sense of humour? It's called 'taking the piss'.

This vile bullying must stop. Corbyn is of course responsible.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9657  Postby ronmcd » Aug 27, 2016 9:08 am

:doh:

The Art of Labour
Today Jeremy Corbyn is launching a ‘comprehensive strategy for the arts’ in Edinburgh, but it will have little or nothing to do with Edinburgh or Scotland, where art, culture and education are all devolved matters. It is another sign of how semi-detached and culturally removed Labour is that this could be happening at all. Although much of the festival feels as if it is in Edinburgh but not of Edinburgh, this is a truly shambolic set of announcements by a team desperately trying to resurrect their credibility in their former heartlands.

The headline announcements include “a pledge to introduce an arts pupil premium to every primary school in England in line with the PE pupil premium, to reverse cuts to real terms arts expenditure boosting arts funding back on to a secure financial footing and a commitment that the next Labour Government would introduce a cross-departmental Cabinet Com­mittee on the arts and creative industries tasked with increasing participation in the arts and culture.”

Other plans include:

“Consulting on the design and national roll-out of the arts pupil premium to look to extend this to all secondary schools” [Education is devolved].

“A commitment to launch a wide-ranging consultation on supporting British arts and commit to delivering a comprehensive national plan for the publicly funded arts, culture and heritage sector in government” [whose culture? whose heritage?]

“Working within Labour’s Fiscal Credibility rule, Labour will reverse Tory real terms cuts to arts expenditure and restore grant in aid funding of the Arts Council” [which arts council?]

“Labour in alliance with a broad coalition of organisations will be at the forefront of the campaigning to defend the licence fee as a means of funding an independent BBC and oppose cuts to grant-in-aid funding to our treasured public broadcasting institution” [this doesn’t address the massive issues about the devolution of broadcasting]

“Endorsing proposals made by the creative learning alliance to consider dance and drama as national curriculum subjects within their own right and to consult with educational experts to establish dance and drama as independent subjects within the National Curriculum” [education is devolved].

We are being treated as if we don’t exist. I have a lot of respect for Corbyn and his team but this is a travesty. If you are being charitable they are at least making ineptitude into a new art form.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9658  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 27, 2016 9:12 am

Par for the course. Never thinks things through. Making promises unable to keep. Nothing new. Why not nationalise art?
Cant get any worse. :lol:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9659  Postby ED209 » Aug 27, 2016 11:37 am

Not everyone* is happy with owen smith's pro-ISIS** statements:

* by 'not everyone' I mean 'nobody'
** that's how this works, isn't it? Owen smith definitely supports ISIS now.

Who am I to criticise but I'd rather wear a camo hat than a bright red bag on my head
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#9660  Postby Byron » Aug 27, 2016 12:46 pm

ronmcd wrote:Disappointed in Corbyn :( . I may take my 'lukewarm-posting-in-support-of-Corbyn-on-ratscep' ball and go home. In a wee huff :smile:

Have to say, Frothy the PR man is a scumbag, isn't he? When he was suggesting Corbyn might not have voted remain, Corbyn should have outright asked him last night: are you calling me a liar? He let him off the hook.

And compared to the Blairites behind the throne, Frothy's a saint who feeds starving children and gifts them puppies before taking a nice, refreshing gulp of his manly chipped mug of finest bubbly beans.

The jaunt up to the Central Belt shows just how estranged Scotland's become from Labour. You'll never get a Labour leader more left-wing than Corbyn; he's opposed to all the policies that made Mhairi Black say that Labour left her. Yet, as shown in his response to GERS, the SNP, and in the Bella link, he's utterly tone-deaf to Scottish issues. This isn't just about policies: it's a cultural gap that's growing ever wider.

However much Labour despise "constitutionalism," people care about the kind of county they live in, and the kind of government they have.

Best Labour could do now would be to separate from SLab, form an alliance with the SNP, and prioritize internationalism over the Union. The bastard child of empire, the UK will never be a progressive entity, not in its current, centralized form, with a deep state built of parliamentary absolutism and co-opted royal authority. Leave defending it to actual Tories.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs