A Year Without God

This will be good.

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: A Year Without God

#241  Postby Goldenmane » Feb 04, 2014 8:36 am

Agrippina wrote:I know people say they "believe" but in their heads, personally when they're alone in the dark, do they actually say to themselves, "I really, really believe!" Or is it just cant to get people to listen to them? I've asked this question of believers and they say they really do believe that God as they define him, really, really exists. :crazy:

I certainly believed when I was a kid, even if I did notice that there were things that seemed to make no sense - simply put, I believed that God existed, I just thought the discrepancies and contradictions and the like were the result of human error.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#242  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 04, 2014 8:45 am

Agrippina wrote:I know people say they "believe" but in their heads, personally when they're alone in the dark, do they actually say to themselves, "I really, really believe!" Or is it just cant to get people to listen to them? I've asked this question of believers and they say they really do believe that God as they define him, really, really exists. :crazy:

Plenty say they believe as a part of a belt and braces construction. I agree Aggie it is still a head and heart thing.

There are enough people who just follow because it is easier due their social position and location. Coming out would create for them too many problems.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#243  Postby Agrippina » Feb 04, 2014 10:52 am

Goldenmane wrote:

I certainly believed when I was a kid, even if I did notice that there were things that seemed to make no sense - simply put, I believed that God existed, I just thought the discrepancies and contradictions and the like were the result of human error.

A little like reading your horoscope and thinking "well that looks good today, no surprises." Then you forget all about it and some time in the future you read your horoscope again. Just there use, don't use it. That's how I think most people feel about their religion. It's not an intense "I'm a believer" thing, it's more like a habit, or something you just do because you just do it, it doesn't really mean anything. The intense believers, they're the people who come knocking at doors. I think these people have psychological problems that believing helps to feel better.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#244  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 07, 2014 5:38 pm

I’m coming in to this a bit late and right now I don’t have time to read 13 pages... however to address your point.

When I was a fundie it wasn’t a matter of “belief”, (at first yes, but not later on) it was a matter of knowing; as in 100% knowledge of an absolute actual fact.

It would be like trying to convince someone that you loved your spouse. Regardless of what one does or says, it’s simply impossible to prove it to anyone else since all of the outward signs could be easily be faked, but you know in your heart that your love is as true as true can be.

In our congregation we never said that we believed in God, in the sense of perhaps or possibly, we said that God existed and we knew that for a fact. I suppose belief (knowing) could be on a sliding scale from 1 to 10. I was a 10. I knew that God existed as surely as I knew that the sun would rise every morning. I had zero doubts because (wait for this one!) ;) I had seen Jesus in person. Yes, I really did!

When I was born again he appeared in my room. That incidentally, was not totally uncommon. A select number of people in my congregation had seen visions too but only “true” believers got to see them.

When I next went to church and told the congregation that Jesus had appeared to me I was met with a shower of PRAISE the LORD! There was not even one doubting or questioning eye in the building.

Having actually seen Jesus: any doubts that could have ever crossed my mind were a thing of the past. I simply had proof positive that God exists.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#245  Postby Agrippina » Feb 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Skinny, I don't understand the "blind faith" and unquestioning belief. I see it in other people, and not only about religion, about other things: the zodiac, homeopathy, acupuncture, etc. I suppose it's because I always ask "why" and insist that things are explained to me, that I simply can't understand that other people can believe without asking.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

A year without god, gets extended

#246  Postby ElDiablo » Dec 28, 2014 2:20 am

Last year around this time of the year, Ryan Bell, a pastor for 19 years, decided to see what it was living without god was like to give atheism a shot for a year. He's continuing his journey and even has a blog on patheos. Good for him.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/yearwithoutgod/

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/27/373298310/after-year-of-atheism-former-pastor-i-dont-think-god-exists

God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#247  Postby scott1328 » Dec 28, 2014 4:52 am

The year has come and gone and the year without God has shown this pastor that God does not likely exist

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/27/373298310 ... god-exists
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#248  Postby Agrippina » Dec 28, 2014 8:10 am

Well that's good news. :thumbup:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#249  Postby THWOTH » Dec 28, 2014 8:45 am

From the link...

Former Pastor Ryan Bell wrote:... One of his biggest lessons from the year is "that people very much value certainty and knowing and are uncomfortable saying that they don't know."

Now he thinks certainty is a bit overrated.

"I think before I wanted a closer relationship to God and today I just want a closer relationship with reality," Bell says.

See, miracles really do happen at Christmas! Happy to admit I was wrong about him.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#250  Postby NamelessFaceless » Dec 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Excellent! :thumbup:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#251  Postby Willie71 » Dec 29, 2014 5:31 pm

This is what reasonable people do. They test the hypothesis. It's too bad the church, at least the one I grew up with, threatened eternal damnation for questioning. Whether the experiment worked out or not, he was damned to hell anyway.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#252  Postby scott1328 » Dec 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Willie71 wrote:This is what reasonable people do. They test the hypothesis. It's too bad the church, at least the one I grew up with, threatened eternal damnation for questioning. Whether the experiment worked out or not, he was damned to hell anyway.

Well, not if he repented of his questioning and recommitted his life to unquestioning faith.

He could defile the corpses of a thousand murdered babies and not face hell if he repents before he dies. Such is the nature of Divine Justice and Grace.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#253  Postby trubble76 » Dec 30, 2014 10:28 am

Well, I'm pleased for the chap but I guess it's possible that he's playing the long game, with miraculous occurrences and renewed faith and certainty on the horizon. Perhaps I just have an over-active suspicion gene?
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#254  Postby twistor59 » Dec 30, 2014 10:50 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:

When I was born again he appeared in my room. That incidentally, was not totally uncommon. A select number of people in my congregation had seen visions too but only “true” believers got to see them.

Wow, I never knew that! When I was a Xian I always wanted to experience something like that, but got to experience sod-all. Have you written an account of it somewhere on the forum?
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: A year without god, gets extended

#255  Postby Rumraket » Dec 30, 2014 11:11 am

:popcorn:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#256  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 30, 2014 11:43 am

trubble76 wrote:Well, I'm pleased for the chap but I guess it's possible that he's playing the long game, with miraculous occurrences and renewed faith and certainty on the horizon. Perhaps I just have an over-active suspicion gene?

That is my POV. :thumbup: This is an after-life experience for him. Bet you he will say been there done that and god exists.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#257  Postby DoctorE » Jan 06, 2015 9:37 am

DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#258  Postby chairman bill » Jan 06, 2015 9:47 am

Living without a god, I get - everyone does it all the time, whether they realise it or not. But what does it mean for someone who believes in a deity, to 'live without god' for a period of time? If you believe, you still believe. If you don't believe, you're already living without a god, so what's the big deal?

I could try 'living with god' for a year, but it would be meaningless, because I still wouldn't believe in one. If it means engaging in the outward practices, well I could do that, but to what end? And in this pastor's case, giving up on prayer (which never worked anyway) & singing hymns & all the associated bollocks, isn't atheism, it's just theism without the bells & smells.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#259  Postby ElDiablo » Jan 06, 2015 3:06 pm

^^^
I think it was more than that for him. He actively questioned the validity of his beliefs and sought out conversations with atheists.

I can sort of identify with him in that in my early twenties after reading about mythology. philosophy, and history, I came to a point in my life where I asked what would it be like to live without this idea of a loving and protective god that my parents imparted on me. Would life change for the worse once I rejected the insurance policy? If anything, it was an experiment, since I didn't know what was going to happen and wanted my experience to inform me.

Rejecting the belief was like turning off a light switch. It was off, but I could always go back and turn it on if I needed. After a while I realized I didn't need the light switch at all and removed it from the circuit.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#260  Postby The Serpent » Jan 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Well watching that video, it seems that he has moved from theism to agnostic atheism. He says so explicitly and there seems to be no reason not to take him at his word.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism