Are Genocides Associated with Atheists?

Why were many of history's most brutal regimes authored by atheists?

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Are Genocides Associated with Atheists?

#181  Postby Nebogipfel » Oct 04, 2014 1:00 pm

@Carl,

What do you understand the noun belief and the verb to believe to mean?
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#182  Postby Rumraket » Oct 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:
Rumraket wrote:Image

One's a suicide bomber and one's wrong on the internet.

The latter also seems to have substantially bigger boobs. :naughty2:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#183  Postby Varangian » Oct 04, 2014 1:50 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:
Rumraket wrote:Image

One's a suicide bomber and one's wrong on the internet.

The latter also seems to have substantially bigger bombs. :naughty2:

FIFY

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#184  Postby Nicko » Oct 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Makes you shudder at the thought of what the inquisition and the Crusades would have been like with nuclear weapons, doesn't it?

I do actually recall the devastation caused by the Catholic response to the Anabaptist takeover of the city of Munster in Germany being described by a historian as the equivalent of an atomic bomb detonated by muscle power.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#185  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Oct 04, 2014 6:55 pm

Aside from it being totally irrelevant to bring up their tits, I can't even tell if Reem Riyashi has breasts in that picture.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#186  Postby laklak » Oct 04, 2014 8:11 pm

I see not collecting stamps has been raised, have we talked about believing there are no unicorns or leprechauns yet?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#187  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 04, 2014 8:13 pm

laklak wrote:I see not collecting stamps has been raised, have we talked about believing there are no unicorns or leprechauns yet?

Atheism catch phrase bingo only counts if you announce that's what you're doing before you start playing. :naughty:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#188  Postby pelfdaddy » Oct 04, 2014 8:29 pm

B--urden of proof
I--ntellectual honesty
N--azis were Catholic
G--enetic fallacy
O--ccam's razor

What do I win?
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#189  Postby redwhine » Oct 05, 2014 8:58 am

pelfdaddy wrote:B--urden of proof
I--ntellectual honesty
N--azis were Catholic
G--enetic fallacy
O--ccam's razor

What do I win?

Fuck all.

(Which, incidentally, is the answer my father gave when I asked what he'd left me in his will. I was ecstatic - I'd always wanted a big house in the country! :P )
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#190  Postby carl » Oct 06, 2014 6:04 pm

carl wrote:
pelfdaddy wrote:When I taught Church History in a seminary, I encountered a serious problem....
It was straight up bullshit, and I suspected as much.

I find the above post to be as common as ever. It reminds me of a conversation I had with a pastor once, where he said he was in the ministry, as a pastor, for over 20 years BEFORE he became a Christian. He was an unbeliever for over 20 years in the ministry! I am not being critical of him as I was an unbeliever attending church for at least 20 years before I became a Christian myself.

BTW, this is the Biblical definition of a Christian as far I as I understand it:
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent". (John 17).

A Christian is someone who KNOWS God personally. Although I knew about God, I didn't KNOW Him personally for the first 25 years of my life. Going to church consistently doesn't make someone a Christian either, according to what Jesus said (Matthew 7):

"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never KNEW you."

Notice the word "KNOW" and "KNEW" which are emphasized everywhere in the Bible, not the head knowledge but the personal knowledge similar to KNOWING your own mother, for example.

Just to clarify, I am simply explaining my own experience and understanding of the subject so am not 'preaching' as such. My understanding of this subject does not necessarily include everyone else under the sun.

Just to clarify my post above, nowhere above did I mention I was providing or attempting to provide proof of God's existence. I wasn't. If anyone thought I was, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I was only providing my personal understanding of the Bible's definition of a Christian - as someone who KNOWS God - as opposed to someone who knows ABOUT God. That is all.

For the posts/responses claiming I provided no proof of God, you may have been reading into my post something that isn't there. I never stated nor appealed to any sort of 'proof' for God's existence - only the Bible definition of a Christian.

Why did I define a 'Christian' using the passage in John 17 in the first place? Because there are many who 'thought' they were Christians at one time, of which I was one myself. I thought I was a Christian and later found I was not, as I did not meet the Bible definition of a Christian.
carl

Name: carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#191  Postby Animavore » Oct 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Wait! You KNOW God personally?

Can you do me a favour and ask him why I never got that Commodore 64 I asked him for when I was seven?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#192  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 06, 2014 6:20 pm

carl wrote:
carl wrote:
pelfdaddy wrote:When I taught Church History in a seminary, I encountered a serious problem....
It was straight up bullshit, and I suspected as much.

I find the above post to be as common as ever. It reminds me of a conversation I had with a pastor once, where he said he was in the ministry, as a pastor, for over 20 years BEFORE he became a Christian. He was an unbeliever for over 20 years in the ministry! I am not being critical of him as I was an unbeliever attending church for at least 20 years before I became a Christian myself.

BTW, this is the Biblical definition of a Christian as far I as I understand it:
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent". (John 17).

A Christian is someone who KNOWS God personally. Although I knew about God, I didn't KNOW Him personally for the first 25 years of my life. Going to church consistently doesn't make someone a Christian either, according to what Jesus said (Matthew 7):

"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never KNEW you."

Notice the word "KNOW" and "KNEW" which are emphasized everywhere in the Bible, not the head knowledge but the personal knowledge similar to KNOWING your own mother, for example.

Just to clarify, I am simply explaining my own experience and understanding of the subject so am not 'preaching' as such. My understanding of this subject does not necessarily include everyone else under the sun.

Just to clarify my post above, nowhere above did I mention I was providing or attempting to provide proof of God's existence. I wasn't. If anyone thought I was, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I was only providing my personal understanding of the Bible's definition of a Christian - as someone who KNOWS God - as opposed to someone who knows ABOUT God. That is all.

For the posts/responses claiming I provided no proof of God, you may have been reading into my post something that isn't there. I never stated nor appealed to any sort of 'proof' for God's existence - only the Bible definition of a Christian.

Why did I define a 'Christian' using the passage in John 17 in the first place? Because there are many who 'thought' they were Christians at one time, of which I was one myself. I thought I was a Christian and later found I was not, as I did not meet the Bible definition of a Christian.

How do you know those other people weren't really Christians?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#193  Postby hackenslash » Oct 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Because nobody was ever born in Scotland. ;)
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#194  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Carl wrote:

Why do Christians tend to get their own scripture so wrong? They often just pick out a small part which seems to say what they want it to say. And here Carl shows a very good example. He cites Matthew 7: 21-23 and ignores what comes immediately before and after.

15 `But, take heed of the false prophets, who come unto you in sheep's clothing, and inwardly are ravening wolves.

16 From their fruits ye shall know them; do [men] gather from thorns grapes? or from thistles figs?

17 so every good tree doth yield good fruits, but the bad tree doth yield evil fruits.

18 A good tree is not able to yield evil fruits, nor a bad tree to yield good fruits.

19 Every tree not yielding good fruit is cut down and is cast to fire:

20 therefore from their fruits ye shall know them.

21 `Not every one who is saying to me Lord, lord, shall come into the reign of the heavens; but he who is doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, lord, have we not in thy name prophesied? and in thy name cast out demons? and in thy name done many mighty things?

23 and then I will acknowledge to them, that -- I never knew you, depart from me ye who are working lawlessness.

24 `Therefore, every one who doth hear of me these words, and doth do them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house upon the rock;

25 and the rain did descend, and the streams came, and the winds blew, and they beat on that house, and it fell not, for it had been founded on the rock.

26 `And every one who is hearing of me these words, and is not doing them, shall be likened to a foolish man who built his house upon the sand;

Mathew 7: 15-23 is talking about false prophets, and notice to make his little snippet say what he wanted it to say Carl snipped off the last little bit. ",depart from me ye who are working lawlessness."

Matthew 7: 24 lays it out pretty simply; Hear the words and do what they say. So a Christian by this definition is anyone doing what Jesus said, and does not require "knowing" Jesus personally.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#195  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 06, 2014 8:04 pm

How do you "know personally" an entity that has only been asserted to exist?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#196  Postby carl » Oct 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:Why do Christians tend to get their own scripture so wrong?

You do realize what I get out of the Bible is specific to me and me alone? I am not including you, but thank you for your concern.
carl

Name: carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#197  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 06, 2014 8:20 pm

carl wrote:

You do realize what I get out of the Bible is specific to me and me alone? I am not including you, but thank you for your concern.

Not really. You were claiming the authority of the bible to judge whether other people were Christians, not just defining your own relationship with the term.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#198  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Animavore wrote:Wait! You KNOW God personally?

Can you do me a favour and ask him why I never got that Commodore 64 I asked him for when I was seven?

Wrong fictional character.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#199  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 06, 2014 9:24 pm

carl wrote:

Well, maybe I should rephrase my question then. Why do Christians tend to get their own scripture so wrong? There, that's better.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#200  Postby BlackBart » Oct 06, 2014 10:19 pm

carl wrote:

When you erect it here it's becomes fair game for dissection whether it's relevant to anyone else or not.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism