Atheism and Feminism (or, Watson v. Dawkins)

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Atheism and Feminism (or, Watson v. Dawkins)

#7161  Postby horacerumpole » Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

At 54:30 http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/37611? ... &out=48:16 - she says that she can't tell us how many times men have touched her in inappropriate ways without my permission at these conferences.

That's a serious indictment. What's the charge, Skepchick? Where were you touched and when and how? If guys are smacking her on the ass at conferences, touching her breast, or otherwise inappropriately touching her, as opposed to shaking her hand, or the odd hand on the shoulder or pat on the back, then that is something that REALLY DOES deserve videos and lectures. Doesn't it? I mean - she chose to highlight a rather benign situation of a guy asking her for coffee and taking no for an answer, but waits until now to mention that she was ASSAULTED repeatedly - innumerable and unrecountable times - inappropriately touched by men at conferences?????

That's far more serious than the odd sexual email or the impertinent request for "coffee."

It's this kind of thing that makes me suspect she's just a liar and an opportunist. If she has innumerable incidents where guys have actually physically touched her inappropriately - assault and/or sexual assault - then why report on the innocuous elevator incident which she even says was not really a big deal. http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/progr ... d-shopping (here, she agrees with the interviewer that it really wasn't a big deal, and RW goes on to say that she wasn't really complaining about it so much as just offering men some innocent advice about better ways to interact with women).

So, she makes a video about the innocuous, minor event, and just doesn't bother mentioning how the first thing men could do at conferences to make it more welcoming to women (including her) is stop the incessant, innumerable physical assaults that occur at conferences. No "guys, don't do that" videos for those guilty of assaulting her?
"There is not a court in Heaven or Earth...where Horace Rumpole is not ready and willing to appear. On the Day of Judgment I shall probably be up on my hind legs putting a few impertinent questions to the prosecutor."
horacerumpole

Name: Horace Rumpole
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7162  Postby tolman » Dec 11, 2012 4:53 pm

It is possible (and not hugely uncommon) for a relatively minor thing to be the straw which breaks the camel's back if someone is being wound up by various things, though in such a case I'd normally expect someone to vent not merely about the final straw, but about many of the others as well.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#7163  Postby Corneel » Dec 11, 2012 5:24 pm

horacerumpole wrote:At 54:30 http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/37611? ... &out=48:16 - she says that she can't tell us how many times men have touched her in inappropriate ways without my permission at these conferences.
Well how would she know who had your permission to touch her in inappropriate ways?
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7164  Postby Oldskeptic » Dec 11, 2012 11:37 pm

horacerumpole wrote:At 54:30 http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/37611? ... &out=48:16 - she says that she can't tell us how many times men have touched her in inappropriate ways without my permission at these conferences.

That's a serious indictment. What's the charge, Skepchick? Where were you touched and when and how? If guys are smacking her on the ass at conferences, touching her breast, or otherwise inappropriately touching her, as opposed to shaking her hand, or the odd hand on the shoulder or pat on the back, then that is something that REALLY DOES deserve videos and lectures. Doesn't it? I mean - she chose to highlight a rather benign situation of a guy asking her for coffee and taking no for an answer, but waits until now to mention that she was ASSAULTED repeatedly - innumerable and unrecountable times - inappropriately touched by men at conferences?????

That's far more serious than the odd sexual email or the impertinent request for "coffee."

It's this kind of thing that makes me suspect she's just a liar and an opportunist. If she has innumerable incidents where guys have actually physically touched her inappropriately - assault and/or sexual assault - then why report on the innocuous elevator incident which she even says was not really a big deal. http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/progr ... d-shopping (here, she agrees with the interviewer that it really wasn't a big deal, and RW goes on to say that she wasn't really complaining about it so much as just offering men some innocent advice about better ways to interact with women).

So, she makes a video about the innocuous, minor event, and just doesn't bother mentioning how the first thing men could do at conferences to make it more welcoming to women (including her) is stop the incessant, innumerable physical assaults that occur at conferences. No "guys, don't do that" videos for those guilty of assaulting her?

Didn't we do this 9 months ago? You have a point, but it seems a little past it's prime. Maybe you're just trying to rev this thread up again? Have at it, and I wish you luck, but don't you think that we need some new material?
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#7165  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 12, 2012 12:12 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
Didn't we do this 9 months ago?

When's the baby due?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#7166  Postby Oldskeptic » Dec 12, 2012 12:35 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:

When's the baby due?

Last I saw of Watson she looked like she was ready to pop, but maybe that's just too many cheese fries and a lot of beer. Even her cheeks looked like they were about to give birth to puppies.

Oh my God! That was sexists wasn't it?

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#7167  Postby Oldskeptic » Dec 12, 2012 12:38 am

Deleted. Double post.

Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#7168  Postby Imagination Theory » Dec 12, 2012 2:25 am

Oh, who cares if she is chubby or overweight?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#7169  Postby laklak » Dec 12, 2012 5:16 am

I certainly don't. She's in six-pack territory already, a bit of flab won't make much difference.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7170  Postby quixotecoyote » Dec 12, 2012 5:45 am

This thread is just cross-forum trolling at this point, right?
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7171  Postby stijndeloose » Dec 12, 2012 7:24 am

What does that mean 'cross-forum trolling'? How does it work?
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7172  Postby quixotecoyote » Dec 12, 2012 7:29 am

"all dose guys over there is fat and stoopid, hur hur"
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7173  Postby tolman » Dec 12, 2012 10:59 am

Comments about personal appearance seem only likely to distract from the actual point of the thread, and make it easy for people who wish to so conclude to conclude that all negative comments regarding people's behaviour are motivated by sexism, ageism, or any other 'ism.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#7174  Postby Made of Stars » Dec 12, 2012 11:35 am

Rebecca Watson is not a forum...
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7175  Postby horacerumpole » Dec 12, 2012 1:19 pm

tolman wrote:It is possible (and not hugely uncommon) for a relatively minor thing to be the straw which breaks the camel's back if someone is being wound up by various things, though in such a case I'd normally expect someone to vent not merely about the final straw, but about many of the others as well.

Sure, but when the camel's back breaks, it's not just that last straw that falls. The whole bundle comes down.

And, if it were me and finally some jerk made me want to come out about the atrocities, I'd certainly mention the sexual assaults I repeatedly suffered on numerous occasions, and I would not just limit it to the innocuous comment that didn't really bother me and which I only brought up because other women get upset about it...
"There is not a court in Heaven or Earth...where Horace Rumpole is not ready and willing to appear. On the Day of Judgment I shall probably be up on my hind legs putting a few impertinent questions to the prosecutor."
horacerumpole

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7176  Postby horacerumpole » Dec 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Corneel wrote:
Well how would she know who had your permission to touch her in inappropriate ways?

LOL -- very true. pronoun trouble....
horacerumpole

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7177  Postby horacerumpole » Dec 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:

Didn't we do this 9 months ago? You have a point, but it seems a little past it's prime. Maybe you're just trying to rev this thread up again? Have at it, and I wish you luck, but don't you think that we need some new material?

The second link is the new material.

In the second link, she says, just the other day, that she wasn't really bothered by elevator guy in the first place...

I juxtaposed that against her claim in the Althouse interview that she has been sexually assaulted more times than she can even remember at conferences...
horacerumpole

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7178  Postby horacerumpole » Dec 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:

When's the baby due?

Last I saw of Watson she looked like she was ready to pop, but maybe that's just too many cheese fries and a lot of beer. Even her cheeks looked like they were about to give birth to puppies.

Oh my God! That was sexists wasn't it?

Weight-ist.

Your just imposing your privileged male sexual standards, as if women have to "look a certain way" to be attractive...
horacerumpole

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7179  Postby tolman » Dec 12, 2012 1:48 pm

horacerumpole wrote:
tolman wrote:It is possible (and not hugely uncommon) for a relatively minor thing to be the straw which breaks the camel's back if someone is being wound up by various things, though in such a case I'd normally expect someone to vent not merely about the final straw, but about many of the others as well.

Sure, but when the camel's back breaks, it's not just that last straw that falls. The whole bundle comes down.

And, if it were me and finally some jerk made me want to come out about the atrocities, I'd certainly mention the sexual assaults I repeatedly suffered on numerous occasions, and I would not just limit it to the innocuous comment that didn't really bother me and which I only brought up because other women get upset about it...

That was rather what I was saying, if in my own circumspect way.
tolman

Print view this post

#7180  Postby Skinny Puppy » Dec 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Horacerumpole wrote:
It's this kind of thing that makes me suspect she's just a liar and an opportunist.

Yes I suspect that there is a lot of truth in that! She’s got an agenda that she pursues regardless of minor details like having to use truth and honesty.

She can basically state almost anything to her gaggle of followers with few, if any of them, actually using critical thinking or asking for (or expecting) any form of evidence. If she says it, it must be the truth.

She wants to see misogyny everywhere... and she does.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism