Atheism and Feminism (or, Watson v. Dawkins)

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: AW: Atheism and Feminism (or, Watson v. Dawkins)

#7221  Postby Scar » Apr 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Macky Avelli wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
Macky Avelli wrote:There was an article somewhere about a girl who had a "nice guy" friend who then suddenly changed and became attractive to her. She had sex with him. Then she discovered that he had gotten into all that PUA stuff. Now she thinks he's a rapist. I'm not kidding.

http://www.mgtowforums.com/forums/mens- ... -rape.html

I mean, I'm all for equality where it matters and all that, but this is freaking ridiculous. all I can say to that is Baloopa!

That story sounds like complete fabrication to me. There's nothing about it that resonates with how I understand people to operate and behave around each other(whether feminists or not). The simplicity of the writing (and the simplicity of the story itself), the casual mentioning that they intentionally laughed at him and she slapped him once etc. etc.
Bullshit story, it's designed by some malignant asshole to piss people off. it digs into all the nasty stereotypical traits that would otherwise revolt someone and plays on them. Too simple and outrageous to be true. I see the same kinds of stories prop up here and there in racist communities that play on people's fears and desires by hammering on stereotypes.

Ever seen one of those "blacks are trying to outbreed us" racist shitstories? This one reads like one of those. It's designed to piss people off and incite, in this case instead of racist tension and mistrust, hate against feminists.

I flat out simply don't buy it, it's a bullshist story on the internet.

I know exactly what you mean and I too have come across the sort of thing youre talkin about. Maybe it's a true story or maybe it is made up as you say. Even if it's true it doesn't mean all women are like that, just the one in the story and maybe some others aswell. I wouldn't want feminist to keep getting a bad name because of sucj stories like this one. My cousin did once know a girl like the one in the story, well, more or less like her inthe story. not as extreme but you get the point. It kind of reminds me of this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvYyGTmcP80

This is obviously got to be staged. The stereotypic red hair, bright red lipstick, antagonistic tone, manner,belligerent. there's no way she's for real.

Sad, but she is indeed real.

Send from my z10 via Tapatalk and magic
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: Atheism and Feminism (or, Watson v. Dawkins)

#7222  Postby Scarlett » Apr 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Ah fuck, who revived this thread? :shock:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7223  Postby campermon » Apr 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Scarlett wrote:Ah fuck, who revived this thread? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: AW: Atheism and Feminism (or, Watson v. Dawkins)

#7224  Postby Macky Avelli » Apr 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Scar wrote:
Macky Avelli wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
Macky Avelli wrote:There was an article somewhere about a girl who had a "nice guy" friend who then suddenly changed and became attractive to her. She had sex with him. Then she discovered that he had gotten into all that PUA stuff. Now she thinks he's a rapist. I'm not kidding.

http://www.mgtowforums.com/forums/mens- ... -rape.html

I mean, I'm all for equality where it matters and all that, but this is freaking ridiculous. all I can say to that is Baloopa!

That story sounds like complete fabrication to me. There's nothing about it that resonates with how I understand people to operate and behave around each other(whether feminists or not). The simplicity of the writing (and the simplicity of the story itself), the casual mentioning that they intentionally laughed at him and she slapped him once etc. etc.
Bullshit story, it's designed by some malignant asshole to piss people off. it digs into all the nasty stereotypical traits that would otherwise revolt someone and plays on them. Too simple and outrageous to be true. I see the same kinds of stories prop up here and there in racist communities that play on people's fears and desires by hammering on stereotypes.

Ever seen one of those "blacks are trying to outbreed us" racist shitstories? This one reads like one of those. It's designed to piss people off and incite, in this case instead of racist tension and mistrust, hate against feminists.

I flat out simply don't buy it, it's a bullshist story on the internet.

I know exactly what you mean and I too have come across the sort of thing youre talkin about. Maybe it's a true story or maybe it is made up as you say. Even if it's true it doesn't mean all women are like that, just the one in the story and maybe some others aswell. I wouldn't want feminist to keep getting a bad name because of sucj stories like this one. My cousin did once know a girl like the one in the story, well, more or less like her inthe story. not as extreme but you get the point. It kind of reminds me of this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvYyGTmcP80

This is obviously got to be staged. The stereotypic red hair, bright red lipstick, antagonistic tone, manner,belligerent. there's no way she's for real.

Sad, but she is indeed real.

Send from my z10 via Tapatalk and magic

Really? But she seems so OTT. Well if that one is real then who's to say the other one isn't? Feminists do talk about rape an awful lot, so I wonder if the story is also real.
Macky Avelli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#7225  Postby orpheus » Apr 20, 2013 3:35 pm

TMB wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
orpheus wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

I agree with you and you’ve spelled it out quite clearly.  :cheers: 

I’m (literally) still trying to get my head around the convoluted logic that any advantages that women get are actually “benevolent sexism” and not really advantages per se. The concept is so at odds with reality it’s mind boggling.  :scratch: 

That type of perverted logic turns any discrimination that a male has to endure in society on its tail and redirects the sympathy towards the female.

(bold mine)

An excellent way of phrasing it. I may borrow this in the future, if it's ok with you. (Giving credit, of course.)

Yes of course, feel free to use it. You don't need to give me any credit.  :cheers:

Surely the difference is simpler than this. the fact that women tend to live longer than men is an advantage, while the fact that womens only events have been created to allow women to compete as elite athletes in the Olympics and similar events is benevolent sexism.

I have actually heard women say that womens' average longer lifespan is a disadvantage - as just one more unfair problem that women face. The "reasoning" goes like this: because men die earlier, older women are left alone, abandoned, having to fend for themselves in a hostile world.

Granted, I haven't heard this often, but I have heard it. No kidding. 
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7226  Postby Fallible » Apr 20, 2013 3:40 pm

I don't wish to cause a ruckus here, but it actually does induce a real feeling of dread in some people when they imagine losing a loved one with whom they have spent many years and having to grow old alone. I don't find anything particularly strange about considering that to be a disadvantage. The dead person is gone, they don't feel anything. The one left behind is the one suffering.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7227  Postby Imagination Theory » Apr 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Yeah, that's fake. The internet is king of shit stories like these. Wherever there is talk on feminism there is always, in my experience, trolls making fake stories up. It's sad people fall for it. It's obvious it is fake because they almost always start out with "I'm a feminist"...and then tell a story that is NOT feminist (I'm sure you can tell "I'm an atheist..." troll posts for what they are and wouldn't say "maybe it's true, maybe it's not"), the writing style, and you go to their post history where it gets even more parody and/or they slip up and revel they are a sock puppet/troll. I'm sure once in awhile it is just a really stupid person who thinks that. But mostly, they are fake.

What was the point of you posting that? As you said, even if it is somehow real, maybe the poor girl got too many hits on the head, it has nothing to do with women or feminism, so, why did you post it?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#7228  Postby Imagination Theory » Apr 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Fallible wrote:I don't wish to cause a ruckus here, but it actually does induce a real feeling of dread in some people when they imagine losing a loved one with whom they have spent many years and having to grow old alone. I don't find anything particularly strange about considering that to be a disadvantage. The dead person is gone, they don't feel anything. The one left behind is the one suffering.

Is that really controversial?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#7229  Postby Macky Avelli » Apr 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:Yeah, that's fake. The internet is king of shit stories like these. Wherever there is talk on feminism there is always, in my experience, trolls making fake stories up. It's sad people fall for it. It's obvious it is fake because they almost always start out with "I'm a feminist"...and then tell a story that is NOT feminist (I'm sure you can tell "I'm an atheist..." troll posts for what they are and wouldn't say "maybe it's true, maybe it's not"), the writing style, and you go to their post history where it gets even more parody and/or they slip up and revel they are a sock puppet/troll. I'm sure once in awhile it is just a really stupid person who thinks that. But mostly, they are fake.

What was the point of you posting that? As you said, even if it is somehow real, maybe the poor girl got too many hits on the head, it has nothing to do with women or feminism, so, why did you post it?

Because at the time i thought it was real but thinking about it I guess there's a chance it could have been made up but the other one, the one with the red hair woman, what do you make of that one?
Macky Avelli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#7230  Postby orpheus » Apr 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Fallible wrote:I don't wish to cause a ruckus here, but it actually does induce a real feeling of dread in some people when they imagine losing a loved one with whom they have spent many years and having to grow old alone. I don't find anything particularly strange about considering that to be a disadvantage. The dead person is gone, they don't feel anything. The one left behind is the one suffering.

I see your point, Fallible, and I certainly sympathize. It's very hard for the one who must face going on alone, especially late in one's years.

But I only make two points:

1) it's wrong for people to minimize the disadvantage for the one who dies. Sure, they can't feel anything when they're dead. But what about before that? How does it feel to look ahead and know you're likely to have less time alive? Becausenits a disadvantage for the woman doesn't mean it's not also a disadvantage for the man. It's not a zero-sum game. The disparity is not a good thing for either partner.

2) turn it around. What would women say if they were the ones with shorter lifespans? Wouldn't they raise a hue and cry about what a disadvantage it is to die earlier?
Last edited by orpheus on Apr 20, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7231  Postby Precambrian Rabbi » Apr 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:

That being dead is better than not being dead? I think there might possibly be some counter-argument to be made.
"...religion may attract good people but it doesn't produce them. And it draws in a lot of hateful nutjobs too..." AronRa
Precambrian Rabbi

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7232  Postby Imagination Theory » Apr 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Macky Avelli wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:Yeah, that's fake. The internet is king of shit stories like these. Wherever there is talk on feminism there is always, in my experience, trolls making fake stories up. It's sad people fall for it. It's obvious it is fake because they almost always start out with "I'm a feminist"...and then tell a story that is NOT feminist (I'm sure you can tell "I'm an atheist..." troll posts for what they are and wouldn't say "maybe it's true, maybe it's not"), the writing style, and you go to their post history where it gets even more parody and/or they slip up and revel they are a sock puppet/troll. I'm sure once in awhile it is just a really stupid person who thinks that. But mostly, they are fake.

Because at the time i thought it was real but thinking about it I guess there's a chance it could have been made up but the other one, the one with the red hair woman, what do you make of that one?

Do you remember this photo?Image I fell for it. It happens. :oops:

I don't know about the video, I'm really deaf. There are stupid people out there though, so it could be real. But just because they label themselves something doesn't mean they actually are that. So say that story with the girl is actually real, she would be wrong to think she was a feminist.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#7233  Postby Macky Avelli » Apr 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Macky Avelli wrote:

Do you remember this photo?Image I fell for it. It happens. :oops:

I don't know about the video, I'm really deaf. There are stupid people out there though, so it could be real. But just because they label themselves something doesn't mean they actually are that. So say that story with the girl is actually real, she would be wrong to think she was a feminist.

I don't know. Maybe.
Macky Avelli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#7234  Postby Imagination Theory » Apr 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Precambrian Rabbi wrote:

That being dead is better than not being dead? I think there might possibly be some counter-argument to be made.

No, that out living your loved ones is better than dying first and not suffering. I'm surprised, I just assumed that if someones loved ones died first they would also just kill themselves, so it isn't an advantage. I pray (well, wish, hope, sob, beg) every night I won't live to see my loved ones die. That is the worst thing in the world.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#7235  Postby Imagination Theory » Apr 20, 2013 4:08 pm

@Macky Avelli, maybe what?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#7236  Postby Macky Avelli » Apr 20, 2013 4:10 pm

Precambrian Rabbi wrote:

No, that out living your loved ones is better than dying first and not suffering. I'm surprised, I just assumed that if someones loved ones died first they would also just kill themselves, so it isn't an advantage. I pray (well, wish, hope, sob, beg) every night I won't live to see my loved ones die. That is the worst thing in the world.

I agree Nijinsky. I've never had anyone die on me so i dont know what that feels like I think it would be best to be the to go first
Macky Avelli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#7237  Postby Macky Avelli » Apr 20, 2013 4:10 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:@Macky Avelli, maybe what?

I meant maybe she is not a feminist. It might not have been written by a female at all. You never know,
Macky Avelli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#7238  Postby Imagination Theory » Apr 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Oh, yea, that's true.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#7239  Postby Thommo » Apr 20, 2013 4:13 pm

orpheus wrote:

I see your point, Fallible, and I certainly sympathize. It's very hard for the one who must face going on alone, especially late in one's years.

But I only make two points:

1) it's wrong for people to minimize the disadvantage for the one who dies. Sure, they can't feel anything when they're dead. But what about before that? How does it feel to look ahead and know you're likely to have less time alive? Becausenits a disadvantage for the woman doesn't mean it's not also a disadvantage for the man. It's not a zero-sum game. The disparity is not a good thing for either partner.

2) turn it around. What would women say if they were the ones with shorter lifespans? Wouldn't they raise a hue and cry about what a disadvantage it is to die earlier?

I get what you're both saying, but I think a third path is available to us here, which is to ask whether it really matters from an equal rights perspective who has the worst deal. If I've learned anything from this thread it's how ugly the contest for "privilege" or "who has it worst" can look. Family and loved ones dying is tragic for everyone involved, but sadly we can't prevent death from old age and I think reasonable folks have enough empathy to go around. I'd like to think that we can avoid turning bereavement into a political struggle (ok yes, in the week Thatcher died that might sound a bit thin, but I can dream, right?)
Thommo

Print view this post

#7240  Postby Imagination Theory » Apr 20, 2013 4:19 pm

Macky Avelli wrote:
Precambrian Rabbi wrote:

I agree Nijinsky. I've never had anyone die on me so i dont know what that feels like I think it would be best to be the to go first

But unlike the women orpheus, knows I'm not going to act like it is only men who die first or anything stupid like that. And, knowing you're dying must be really terrible, but once you're dead, you're dead and the person who lives longer suffers for longer. And so I do think that is worse on a personal level.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)