Islamic position on Atheism

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Islamic position on Atheism

#21  Postby Davian » Mar 16, 2011 7:01 am

misterB wrote:
Davian wrote:
misterB wrote:...
Isn't it about time you bettered yourself?

Would you say that your religion is better? Unlike those other ones that are just fairy tales?

what??

If you are going to Preach-n-Paste, you should read what you are pasting before you do so. What you posted above makes religion look foolish.
"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
- Bertrand Russell
Davian

Name: Davian
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Scar » Mar 16, 2011 7:16 am

I think it's also worth pointing out that most of this wibble, that does not directly quote or mention the Koran, could've easily come from a Christian. Worse, I am pretty sure I've heard it from them more than once.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Nicko » Mar 16, 2011 9:51 am

Scar wrote:I think it's also worth pointing out that most of this wibble, that does not directly quote or mention the Koran, could've easily come from a Christian. Worse, I am pretty sure I've heard it from them more than once.

I must admit to being a little nonplussed at this thread. I originally thought that it was a thread by an atheist looking to make fun of religion in general. A sort of, "Look, those wacky Muslims spout exactly the same nonsense as the Christians do! Oh the irony!"

But misterB is a Christian? WTF? Still, that only deepens the irony. Pity the laugh's on him.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby chairman bill » Mar 16, 2011 9:57 am

misterB wrote:I found this topic on another site, what do you guys think about this?
Well, I think you nailed it just about here ...
... What if these are just fairytales ? They're not proven facts afterall.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby pennypitstop » Mar 16, 2011 11:09 am

misterB wrote:
JayWilson wrote:What is your position on Islam, misterB?

I think Islam is a dangerous exotic and morbid cult that degrades women. :)

If it has somewhat of noble basis I think it is now tainted beyond recognition.

Is there an actual reason for posting this deluded, dumb, belittling nonsense MisterB
It can be intersting to discuss the islamic position , these are not my views, I just reproduced the islamic position ( source provided) for the sake of the discussion.

Christianity is really morbid, praising a genocidal god for starters. A god that gets his son/himself nailed to a cross, dies, comes back to life. Holy communion, blood and body of Christ..... ewww. Not only that it the weird worshipping of body parts of 'saints', embalming popes and putting their bodies on display. Crucifixes hanging around their necks. Being told you're bad, sinful and evil from the day you're born.... double ewwww.

As a religion it doesn't think much of women either. Not allowed to become bishops, popes, cardinals... though that all depends on which bit of the faith you put your faith in. Eve damning all of human existence. Women are second to men, they must be submissive and silent. It's all in that favourite book of yours MisterB.

Both religions have very negative views of atheism. Apparently I will burn in hell no matter which religion is 'correct'. :thumbdown: So quite frankly fuck them both.
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
pennypitstop

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby trubble76 » Mar 16, 2011 11:33 am

pennypitstop wrote:

Both religions have very negative views of atheism. Apparently I will burn in hell no matter which religion is 'correct'. :thumbdown: So quite frankly fuck them both.

:this:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby DanDare » Mar 16, 2011 1:26 pm

So, mister B, can you show where you think the comments you posted are right or wrong?
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#28  Postby HughMcB » Mar 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:
misterB wrote:Isn't it about time you bettered yourself?

This part made me smile. I couldn't help but be reminded of those lifestyle coaches who paint the usual dismal picture of the world and then offer a solution in the purchase of their products. :lol:

Life getting you down?
Going nowhere when you die?
No creator of the universe to love?
Isn't it about time you bettered yourself?

Well now you can with MrB's Miracle Bible!
Repent now or burn with santa!!1!

Spinozasgalt wrote:Today we're offering not one, not two, but three conversions for half the price of the original. That's a saving of over nineteen ninety-five. And they come with this fantastic scrubbing brush, perfect for all those hard to clean areas of your shower recess!

And if you call right now, we'll give you this free Jesus "loaves and fishes" basket, requires no more refills, so no more fuss!
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#29  Postby DaveD » Mar 16, 2011 2:01 pm

HughMcB wrote:And if you call right now, we'll give you this free Jesus "loaves and fishes" basket, requires no more refills, so no more fuss!

Filled with rotting fish and mouldy bread in perpetuity!
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby ScottyMet » Mar 16, 2011 3:23 pm

pennypitstop wrote:Christianity is really morbid, praising a genocidal god for starters. A god that gets his son/himself nailed to a cross, dies, comes back to life. Holy communion, blood and body of Christ..... ewww. Not only that it the weird worshipping of body parts of 'saints', embalming popes and putting their bodies on display. Crucifixes hanging around their necks. Being told you're bad, sinful and evil from the day you're born.... double ewwww.

Not to mention that this god's final act regarding the Earth and everyone/everything on it will be to destroy it and kill everyone. Oh, the faithful are told that they will be taken up to heaven, but it's still genocide, no matter what happens afterward. (I suppose some of them believe that they will retain their bodies when this happens, but come ON, that's even sillier than the "normal" belief in this claptrap.)
Your heart is in the right place... but your brain is somewhere cold and dark and covered with spiders.
ScottyMet

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby misterB » Mar 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Here are some interesrting replies that come from this other site, it regards some of the points that have been risen here so i think it adds to the discussion to mention them.

1. I know many a atheists who are sad. Sad because of existentialist crises they are going through. They cannot live happily knowing (in their minds, according to their worldviews) they were a product of accidents.

So its you who needs to remove his ignorance. Maybe Qatada's post was not directed to ignorant happy atheists like yourself. Perhaps there are genuine curious sad atheists among your ilk, seems Qatada was addressing them.
misterB
Banned Sockpuppet

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 16, 2011 6:07 pm

misterB wrote:Here are some interesrting replies that come from this other site, it regards some of the points that have been risen here so i think it adds to the discussion to mention them.

1. I know many a atheists who are sad. Sad because of existentialist crises they are going through. They cannot live happily knowing (in their minds, according to their worldviews) they were a product of accidents.

So its you who needs to remove his ignorance. Maybe Qatada's post was not directed to ignorant happy atheists like yourself. Perhaps there are genuine curious sad atheists among your ilk, seems Qatada was addressing them.

Ah, but I was not an accident. Mommy and Daddy wanted me. :popcorn:
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Pebble » Mar 16, 2011 7:04 pm

misterB wrote:Here are some interesrting replies that come from this other site, it regards some of the points that have been risen here so i think it adds to the discussion to mention them.

What is interesting about that?

A believer claims to know the emotional status of some non specified atheists. He/she knows why they are in said particular emotional status. How marvellous, next they will be claiming to know that god loves them - equally evidence based!
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#34  Postby monkeyboy » Mar 16, 2011 7:23 pm

What a wonderful display of the ignorance some people have on what it means to be an atheist. I'd love to see some evidence that all atheists think they were the products of accidents and more to the point, an explanation as to just what the fuck that has to do with atheism in the first place.

Both of my children were the products of very deliberate decisions to have kids. We used contraception before the first and in between the first and second. We won't be having any more due to sterilisation. No accidents involved here, we set out to have two kids and that's exactly what we've got. If we'd been catholics, there may well have been some accidents. Either that, or a serious reduction in shagging in our house, I dare say leading to some unhappiness.

We're very happy people and a happy family, existing in our lives without the need for some celestial peeping tom scrutinising our every moves and applying bronze aged morals to judge our behaviour, which is a good thing really because I'm not into that whole voyeuristic scene, it'd put me of my stroke.

On the other hand, I happen to know a good handful of people who have gods (different ones) in their lives and they're distinctly unhappy at the moment. Some of them are on medication so I guess their respective gods either don't care about their happiness or perhaps want them to be unhappy at the moment. Bless those gods, they do know how to look after their respective flocks don't they?

Nice to see you're still around misterB. What's happened, run out of arguments to toss around of your own so now you're touting other people's for us to play with? Have you given up on the flood thing?
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 16, 2011 7:58 pm

An appropriate response to the OP:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxlPVSAnWOo[/youtube]
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby John P. M. » Mar 16, 2011 8:13 pm

The piece in the OP is not written for atheists to read and react to, perhaps change their mind through.
It's not written by someone who knows how it is to be an atheist; it's written by someone who tries to imagine how it would be to be an atheist, temporarily in his mind removing all the castles in the air that his religion has built, and creating a strawman worldview of atheism in the process. This is written so that other believers can read it and be scared back in line, should they have any doubts ("there's nothing for you in atheism, only dystopia and nihilism and death", basically).

It's like... ...them being part of a 'club' where all of them claim to be millionaires, without any real evidence to back that up. And then you come along and don't believe they are millionaires, or that you would become one by joining them. So they say "He's just sad because he's not a millionaire like us, he can't buy the stuff that we have the opportunity to buy if we wanted to, he's angry at the bank because he doesn't believe he has a million on his bank account, and he believes his life is meaningless because he's not a millionaire like us."

No - you would simply be accepting that the evidence for their millions is lacking, you wouldn't be sad, because you never thought the millions were there in the first place (or if you once did, you now accept that they never were), and you wouldn't feel that you couldn't buy anything since you're not a "millionaire", but instead accept that you can have a lot of nice experiences with the money you know you do have, and you're not angry at the bank, because you don't believe there were any millions there for you in the first place.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#37  Postby HughMcB » Mar 16, 2011 8:21 pm

:clap: John P. M. !
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Or the Emperor's New Clothes. The courtiers can go on and on about what a fine uniform the Emperor has, and aren't you just the teensiest bit jealous that you don't have an outfit like that, but that doesn't change your opinion that the Emperor just looks damn silly with his buttocks on display.
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Latimeria » Mar 16, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm an atheist and I'm quite happy. I have enough understanding of basic biology not to think it is the least bit demeaning to say that humans are animals.... It's a bunch of empty rhetoric based on ignorance.

I don't see anything in here that accurately applies to me or anyone I know, so it's pretty easily shrugged off. Especially if nobody is standing around defending the bullshit...
" [This space is for rent to "which ever version of POOF creates the largest cloud of obnoxious smoke following the POOF."[1] "- God
Works Cited:
[1] - theropod. Parsimony of the Miraculous. RatSkep Peanut Gallery Press, 2011.
Latimeria
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 16, 2011 10:35 pm

Can we please have a link to that site, misterB?
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism