Relationship with your father

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Relationship with your father

#161  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 2:35 pm

NineOneFour wrote:

Pathetically disingenuous.

Uhm, let's see you quote me one time in this thread or anywhere else arguing that the cause of anti-theism is a bad relationship with a person's father. You base your entire argument on trying to mind read what you believe the intention for my question in the OP is. I already said why I asked the question, you believe I'm lying, because you find yourself to be a gifted psychic.

If anyone is pathetically disingenuous is more likely to be you then me.
theidiot

Print view this post

#162  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Paul G wrote:Theidiot, I have some questions you need to answer.

Uhm where's the question? I see one post by you on page 15 with a broken link.
theidiot

Print view this post

#163  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 21, 2010 2:50 pm

theidiot wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

Uhm, let's see you quote me one time in this thread or anywhere else arguing that the cause of anti-theism is a bad relationship with a person's father. You base your entire argument on trying to mind read what you believe the intention for my question in the OP is. I already said why I asked the question, you believe I'm lying, because you find yourself to be a gifted psychic.

Nah, you posted the OP in the hope of getting people to talk about bad relationships with their fathers so you could then pounce.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see through your ploy.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#164  Postby MattHunX » Mar 21, 2010 2:55 pm

NineOneFour wrote:
theidiot wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

Nah, you posted the OP in the hope of getting people to talk about bad relationships with their fathers so you could then pounce.

I suggest to theidiot to read my post if he's looking for that.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#165  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 3:04 pm

NineOneFour wrote:

No it takes a psychic.

Your reasoning here is idiotic as someone going around and saying, "All those who said they have a good relationship with their father are lying, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see their dishonesty. They don't want to admit it because it gives theists more tools in their arsenal. All atheist have bad fathers, those that claim not to are lying."

If your capacity for inference was the norm, we'd probably be dealing with a haven of retards.

It's funny, you infer all this from a single question in the OP of a 17 page thread. Man, your mind reading skills are quite impressive, or just pathetically disingenuous.
theidiot

Print view this post

#166  Postby MattHunX » Mar 21, 2010 3:08 pm

theidiot wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

No it takes a psychic.

Your reasoning here is idiotic as someone going around and saying, "All those who said they have a good relationship with their father are lying, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see their dishonesty. They don't want to admit it because it gives theists more tools in their arsenal. All atheist have bad fathers, those that claim not to are lying."

If your capacity for inference was the norm, we'd probably be dealing with a haven of retards.

It's funny, you infer all this from a single question in the OP of a 17 page thread. Man, your mind reading skills are quite impressive, or just pathetically disingenuous.

I'd say NineOneFour is just simply more familiar with the tactics of religious debaters, especially lay-men such as yourself.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#167  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 3:09 pm

MattHunX wrote:First of all I have one father, who's tangible and by no means imaginary.

Second, my feelings and attitude towards my father in particular is based his behavior.

There's nothing to say here. Some atheist have bad relationship with their father, some have good ones, just like it would be for non-atheist. I asked a question about correlation between the two, but there doesn't seem to be any. I never claimed there was.
theidiot

Print view this post

#168  Postby Fallible » Mar 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Well...not explicitly anyway.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#169  Postby MattHunX » Mar 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Fallible wrote:Well...not explicitly anyway.

Well, especially if the father is a fundamentalist, or even just the ordinary, devout, (not necessarily) church-going, drone type.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#170  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 21, 2010 3:13 pm

MattHunX wrote:
theidiot wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

No it takes a psychic.

I'd say NineOneFour is just simply more familiar with the tactics of religious debaters, especially lay-men such as yourself.

With disingenuous debaters in general. I'd say he's just annoyed his ploy didn't work.

If he was interested in fatherhood in general, he'd not have posted it in Nontheism, now would he?
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#171  Postby dylan » Mar 21, 2010 3:17 pm

theidiot wrote:
There's nothing to say here. Some atheist have bad relationship with their father, some have good ones, just like it would be for non-atheist. I asked a question about correlation between the two, but there doesn't seem to be any. I never claimed there was.

I do agree it seemed like a legitimate query. BUT it kind gave the impression of an implied relation wither you meant it or not. It would be like asking: "I'm curious what kind of education fundamentalists have? IQ? Especially the ones who are most certain. I want to know it there is a correlation between the two". You can see how some may interpret that?
Rational Skepticism: the mind's bullcrap filter
dylan

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#172  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 3:17 pm

MattHunX wrote:

I'd say he's become delusional by it. He displays the psychology of a person robbed by a black man, who thinks that every black male is secretly trying to rob them. It's pathetic. His inferential capacity is rather lacking. I've already wrote why I asked the question in my OP, his delusions don't allow him to accept that, so he has to settle for implying that I am a liar.

It's absurd.
Last edited by theidiot on Mar 21, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theidiot

Print view this post

#173  Postby Animavore » Mar 21, 2010 3:26 pm

theidiot wrote:It's absurd.

What's so absurd about NineOneFour's assumption that you were looking for a negative correlation between anti-theism and their relation to their fathers?

This is what you said, isn't it?

theidiot wrote:I'm just looking to hear what sort of relationship anti-theist have with their fathers? I'm curious to know if there is some relationship between this and their anti-theism.

I'm not looking to hear from just any atheist, but rather by those who classify themselves as anti-theist, like Christopher Hitchens.

Wait! Were you hoping for a positive correlation? What drove you to even ask this question if not to find out if having a bad father was a cause for anti-theism?
It's not irrational to assume, in light of your previous posts, that you had hoped that being rejected by ones father would cause one to not be able to relate to or accept another authority figure... I dunno let's say "God" for example... and be bitter and angry in his rejection of him?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#174  Postby MattHunX » Mar 21, 2010 3:28 pm

theidiot wrote:
MattHunX wrote:

I'd say he's become delusional by it. He displays the psychology of a person robbed by a black man, who thinks that every black male is secretly trying to rape them. It's pathetic. His inferential capacity is rather lacking. I've already wrote why I asked the question in my OP, his delusions don't allow him to accept that, so he has to settle for implying that I am a liar.

It's absurd.

You can say you didn't, but how do we know what went on in your head, we can only speculate going off from previous experience with christian posters who used a tactic previously described and use it quite often.

Also, what Animavore has pointed out.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#175  Postby Occam's Laser » Mar 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Goldenmane wrote:In response to the OP:

I went around to see my dad this morning. We had a good time, ranting and raving about the stupid shit we've seen since last we caught up, had a beer, gave each other a hug, and parted ways once more.

We get on pretty well.

"I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer..." (Jim Morrison, The Doors, Roadhouse Blues}
Occam's Laser

Male

Print view this post

#176  Postby Paul G » Mar 21, 2010 3:30 pm

theidiot wrote:
Paul G wrote:Theidiot, I have some questions you need to answer.

Uhm where's the question? I see one post by you on page 15 with a broken link.

There's another about my grandfather.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#177  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 3:36 pm

dylan wrote:
I do agree it seemed like a legitimate query. BUT it kind gave the impression of an implied relation wither you meant it or not. It would be like asking: "I'm curious what kind of education fundamentalists have? IQ? Especially the ones who are most certain. I want to know it there is a correlation between the two". You can see how some may interpret that?

I did admit that I asked the question because the psychologist Paul Vitz had raised it, and he used some popular atheist as his examples, but his sample seemed rather selective to me, I couldn't really think of any popular counter examples because most of the works of atheist I'm familiar with never even talk about their own personal relationships.

I have argued a number of times about certain atheist and scapegoating, but I've never linked the anger to a single cause. Vitz did, but it sounded simplistic to me, sort of like Freud's Oedipus complex, but I was curious, and since it's rather easy to do, I just asked the question here.

I never used it as a line of argument anywhere in this thread, and just the first few responses alone revealed that Vitz argument doesn't really have any meat. I could have let the thread die, but my interest in scapegoating came up, and this thread has lived on as result of it.

It's sort of like hearing Dawkins claim that religious individuals are more scared of death than non-religious individuals. We might realize that it's a bit naive of an assumption to make, yet we might be curious enough to ask a few theist how they feel about death. This doesn't mean that you endorse Dawkins belief.
theidiot

Print view this post

#178  Postby Animavore » Mar 21, 2010 3:40 pm

theidiot wrote:
dylan wrote:

I did admit that I asked the question because the psychologist Paul Vitz had raised it, and he used some popular atheist as his examples, but his sample seemed rather selective to me, I couldn't really think of any popular counter examples because most of the works of atheist I'm familiar with never even talk about their own personal relationships.

I have argued a number of times about certain atheist and scapegoating, but I've never linked the anger to a single cause. Vitz did, but it sounded simplistic to me, sort of like Freud's Oedipus complex, but I was curious, and since it's rather easy to do, I just asked the question here.

I never used it as a line of argument anywhere in this thread, and just the first few responses alone revealed that Vitz argument doesn't really have any meat. I could have let the thread die, but my interest in scapegoating came up, and this thread has lived on as result of it.

It's sort of like hearing Dawkins claim that religious individuals are more scared of death than non-religious individuals. We might realize that it's a bit naive of an assumption to make, yet we might be curious enough to ask a few theist how they feel about death. This doesn't mean that you endorse Dawkins belief.

It would've helped if you mentioned this in the first place. This Vitz character is going off a pre-conceived notion that many religious have about atheists so you can see why when you asked the same question it was easy for people to think the conclusion of Vitz is what you were driving at.
If you had of started off This guy Vitz says X and I want to test its veracity and then lead on into the question any misunderstanding could of been avoided.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#179  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 3:49 pm

MattHunX wrote:

You can say you didn't, but how do we know what went on in your head, we can only speculate going off from previous experience with christian posters who used a tactic previously described and use it quite often.

Because there are over two billion Christians, and christian posters come in every shape, form, and size. If you want to generalize christians by your interaction with a few bad apples it says more about you than me. It reveals that you want to see all christian posters in one box, and can't bear to come to grips with the truth that many don't fit their quite as easily.

It's an example of the delusions of scapegoating. You don't know, but you associate the worst.

You can accuse me of a lot of things of being arrogant, cocky, demeaning, insulting, and I might even have to agree with you. But implying that I am a liar speaks more about your delusions than mine.
theidiot

Print view this post

#180  Postby aspire1670 » Mar 21, 2010 3:52 pm

theidiot wrote:
MattHunX wrote:

I'd say he's become delusional by it. He displays the psychology of a person robbed by a black man, who thinks that every black male is secretly trying to rape them. It's pathetic. His inferential capacity is rather lacking. I've already wrote why I asked the question in my OP, his delusions don't allow him to accept that, so he has to settle for implying that I am a liar.

It's absurd.

Actually NineOneFour flat out called your post disingenuous and you raised the issue of truthfulness. This all to familiar tactic of yours when taken together with your ad homs and your woeful lack of inferential skills (robberry = future fear of rape :lol: ) suggest to me that you may be engaged in a little projection. Are you unwittingly telling us something about your probity and the relationship you had with your father?
psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism