Relationship with your father

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Relationship with your father

#181  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Animavore wrote:
It would've helped if you mentioned this in the first place. This Vitz character is going off a pre-conceived notion that many religious have about atheists so you can see why when you asked the same question it was easy for people to think the conclusion of Vitz is what you were driving at.
If you had of started off This guy Vitz says X and I want to test its veracity and then lead on into the question any misunderstanding could of been avoided.

I didn't even mention Vitz, until someone else had brought him up. I didn't want to link to his article in the OP, because I didn't want to give the impression that I was endorsing it.

I didn't realize that so much was going to be assumed by the question of my OP. If I did, I probably would have mentioned all this in the first place. But I wrote several times through out this thread that I didn't endorse Vitz's views, but that didn't stop some posters from implying that I was lying.
theidiot

Print view this post

#182  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2010 3:57 pm

theidiot wrote:
MattHunX wrote:

You can say you didn't, but how do we know what went on in your head, we can only speculate going off from previous experience with christian posters who used a tactic previously described and use it quite often.

Because there are over two billion Christians, and christian posters come in every shape, form, and size. If you want to generalize christians by your interaction with a few bad apples it says more about you than me. It reveals that you want to see all christian posters in one box, and can't bear to come to grips with the truth that many don't fit their quite as easily.

It's an example of the delusions of scapegoating. You don't know, but you associate the worst.

You can accuse me of a lot of things of being arrogant, cocky, demeaning, insulting, and I might even have to agree with you. But implying that I am a liar speaks more about your delusions than mine.

You keep coming back to this theme of delusion yet you have not addressed the issue of delusion which theism creates. Christians (and theists in general) may come in every shape, form and size but there is one generalization that does hold for all theist and that is their delusion. I can absolutely blame theism as the cause for their delusion and thus my anti-theism is appropriate since I like you believe delusion is bad. I'm not scapegoating religion by blaming it for causing mass delusion which is the root cause for all other criticisms of theism.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#183  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 4:01 pm

aspire1670 wrote:and your woeful lack of inferential skills (robberry = future fear of rape :lol: )?

Haha sorry for the slip. I initially used, a person who was raped by a man, who thinks that every male is trying to rape them. But I thought it might come off as a bit offensive to rape victims, so i thought the idea of using race associated with robbery would be more suitable for my point.

But it looks like i forgot to change rape to robbery in the last part of my analogy.

It's fixed now.
theidiot

Print view this post

#184  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 4:04 pm

purplerat wrote:
You keep coming back to this theme of delusion yet you have not addressed the issue of delusion which theism creates.

I started a post last night in response to you, but I fell asleep before I finished it. I wanted to give some time to it, so don't feel that I'm ignoring you.
theidiot

Print view this post

#185  Postby Fallible » Mar 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Let me get this straight - you have corrected your post because it was insulting the wrong people, but now all is well. O....K.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#186  Postby aspire1670 » Mar 21, 2010 4:09 pm

theidiot wrote:
aspire1670 wrote:and your woeful lack of inferential skills (robberry = future fear of rape :lol: )?

Haha sorry for the slip. I initially used, a person who was raped by a man, who thinks that every male is trying to rape them. But I thought it might come off as a bit offensive to rape victims, so i thought the idea of using race associated with robbery would be more suitable for my point.

But it looks like i forgot to change rape to robbery in the last part of my analogy.

It's fixed now.

Unlike your inability to address the questions I raised in my post. :waah:
psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670

Male

Print view this post

#187  Postby natselrox » Mar 21, 2010 4:12 pm

the idiot wrote:something
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#188  Postby ElDiablo » Mar 21, 2010 4:21 pm

theidiot wrote:
Notice what you do here. Religion encompass several billion people. You find these selective stories that anger you, and you hold all religious individuals accountable. 9/11 happens and it's not just anger reserved for the terrorist, but for all muslims, the moderates are even guilty. You appropriated blame on over a billion people.

Two taken out of recent headlines - didn’t have to go looking far for them. People should be angered, appalled and disgusted with these two don’t you agree?

Have you ever thought Osama bin Laden wanted Muslims to take the blame so the US would play into his plans? He may not represent all Muslims but you can bet he wishes he did and is trying to get more on board.

What I did is take those selective incidents of some prick kids, and viewed an entire race as the perpetrators, as a disgusting lot. The whole lot of them were to blame for all the racism, the lynching, the murdering of blacks, of indians, of Jews, of little children like Emmit Till.

This is scapegoating, and it is exactly what we find in the mentality of individuals here. The reason why you hold religion accountable is because you need someone to blame, it doesn't matter if the object you hold accountable is the source of what angers you or not.

Wrong. You stopped using white people as a scapegoat because you were introduced to information that showed you that not all white people were racist. Malcom X had a revelation too after visiting Mecca and seeing people of many colors that shared the same belief. It contradicted the world Elija Mohammed painted and changed his views profoundly.

I don't use religion as scapegoat; I shed it just like you shed your condemning of all white people. I understand that religion is a philosophical movement based on a mythology created by humans who were attempting to understand the world and exert influence upon it. Do you see any anger there? My atheism comes from experience and seeking knowledge. I wasn't running away from it, it fell off me like dirt in a car wash.

As the anthropologist Scott Atran points out "religion is basically a neutral vessel. It has done everything you can imagine, and its contrary. And there is nothing intrinsic about religion, for the good or the bad." But our atheist cannot come to terms with this reality, they can only see religion as one way, as intrinsically for the bad. Confirmation bias fuels their thoughts.

For every single religious person doing something evil, we'll find a thousand more doing something for the good. But our atheist cannot come to terms with this reality, because he needs something to blame. He's angry and needs a scapegoat to hold accountable.

But it's all a delusion, and not the truth. It's the myths they are prone to believe to coddle their anger.

If you looking to find any insight into the nature of religion, among such atheist you will find none. If you're seeking to resolve the issues that they claim to be so angry about, this is not the party you join. If you're looking for truth, it's not here. It's all resentful delusions, and fictions.

But when do you come to terms with this?

Religion doesn't exist outside of groups of people. It's not an entity unto itself like sand. It's a creation of human beings that's cryptic, mythical, philosophical, fantastical, poetic, symbolic, metaphorical, beautiful, and horrific and thus open to vast interpretation. In general, the aspect of it not being intrinsically good or bad I can agree with just as dynamite is not intrinsically good or bad but you have the other element that makes its use productive or destructive.

I would be comfortable with religion as a whole if it was taken for the positive philosophical values it has and not used to divide people. But that’s not the case is it? What makes religion more than a philosophy is that it’s tied to a particular creationist mythology that has a specific creator(s) that says: this is the way the world is, this is who we worship, and those who don’t believe what our book says are wrong. It’s not a benign vessel after all.

In the US, a strong, well financed, religious, conservative sector is aggressively leading a fight to set back education two-thousand years and is rewriting (lying) US history to conform to its subjective view of the world. Are all religious groups on board, with this? No, but from my atheist view, the counter to it is the same – a real scientific and historical education however unsettling it may be to many creationists. By the way, I would include Ken Miller as my ally.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#189  Postby stijndeloose » Mar 21, 2010 5:56 pm

!
MODNOTE
theidiot,

This post, this one and this one are personal attacks on fellow members, and thus violations of the FUA, namely of the following section:

You may challenge and criticise posts robustly but personal attacks on other members are not permitted.

Since you have already received an advisory about personal attacks here, the above mentioned posts add up to earn you your first formal warning.

You are hereby strongly advised to re-read and carefully study the Forum Users' Agreement, in order to avoid further formal warnings in the future.

In the mean time, all users in this thread are - again - advised to steer clear of personalizations and stick to addressing the subject at hand.

NB: Do not discuss moderator actions in this thread. To discuss moderation issues, contact me or one of the other moderators in charge of this forum by PM.
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#190  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 6:22 pm

purplerat wrote:Your own argument has been that mass delusion is bad - which I agree with.

Uhm, I don't know if mass delusion would be a correct term.

But no. Delusions are not intrinsically 'bad'. It's a part of being human. A normal human being can be delusional for a number of reasons, like the love for her a child, might not allow her to see him as guilty of a crime a jury conclusively decided he is the culprit of. Education, how big of an IQ you posses doesn't shield you from the power of delusion.

We live in a meaningless world, the idea that truth is intrinsically linked to the good is a fiction. I knew a family coming to grips with a brutal murder of a son. It was a cruel card that life dealt them. The delusion of believing that they'll see him again, that the mother will one day be reunited with her young boy, may not have resolved the anguish, but it helped to numb the pain a little. That's life, it's a privileged beauty for some, and a cruel and dark corner for others. We do what we have to, to come to terms with it.

Human emotions are highly volatile, and we often cling to delusions to contain them.

I'm not speaking of all delusions, but a particular sort of delusion, a delusion that is birthed by our anger, a delusion that leads to victimizing. It's a delusion that leads us to scapegoat an entire group of people, because of the actions of a few, where that entire groups becomes the object of our anger.

This delusion, has some 'good' things coming out of it as well, like this community, best selling books, conventions, getting people to come out and identify themselves as a part of this community. Scapegoating united an entire german society, brought them out of the despair of a depression, and renewed their hope through a violent delusion.

Here it gave a marginal group a voice.

It can be argued the delusion even here is a good thing, it can be argued it's a bad thing as well. I sort of stand on the fence here.

On one side it provides a sense of community, allowed many to make new friends, to not feel so isolated, on the other side we have the coin that feeds in group out group mentality, that sees groups that don't belong to their brand as inferior. Dawkins speaks of world where all that secularist value is under attack, and that it's time for the courageous atheist to go on the attack as well.

Historically, such a crusading spirit for rationalism and enlightenment thinking, that it has to be fought against a formidable enemy ends up in cruel violence. Violence becomes the option when all else seems to fail. This has nothing to do with rationalism or enlightenment thought at all, or even a belief that everyone should be rational and value enlightenment thinking, but rather it's fueled by the anger and resentment for those who don't share your ideology.

It's one thing for someone to believe that their christianity is true, and that other worldview are false, so we go knocking on people's door and talk to them about Christianity, it's another thing to go knock on their doors and express how much you hate them, and can't stand them for not being Christians, or in its most extreme form," convert or die".

Yet there are certain things that are currently absent that doesn't link this sort of atheistic movement, to the violent movements of the past. One is that they abhor violence, but this has less to do with the group being above it, and more to do with group being privileged to not be familiar with their own violence. Secondly much of this anger is rather closeted, it exists in the halls of the internet, and some selective venues. It's sort of like the racism that exists in xbox live headsets, it's the anger of anonymity. So those you resent by in large don't care too much about you, mainly because you occupy a planet they've never visited. You probably going to find the word Atheist in a typical evangelical church service is less likely to be associated with Richard Dawkins, but more likely with a DC talk line: "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle."

Thirdly all the fuss occupies a very privileged corner of the world. Men have more bark than bite. This woman may be quite angry at the idea of in God we Trust on her money, but she's probably not going to do anything about it beyond this youtube video. She more likely prefers the comfort of her lattes and internet forums than the devotion and hard work needed to try and remove it.

You may be quite angry that a woman was stoned to death by the Taliban, that some cult leader molested a little girl, but what are you going to do about it? "We're going to tell people we're angry, and tell the Taliban shame on you". And when you realize that most of these things you want to change, particularly the worst forms of it, give you the middle finger for all your effort, then what?

This brings into question what does this look like in the future? How does it turn? If religion has receded in certain part of the world it has done so organically, not by any sort of active effort. The beliefs of many prominent atheist of the past, is that religion would decline just like that. They would probably be a bit astonished to see the world as it exists today. Now we're looking at a semi-global movement to actively recede it, to create a world where there are less religious individuals, to see atheism on the rise through some active effort.

Little do they realize the formidable nature of the things they so strongly oppose, that they are the products of the basic irrationality of human life. if it disappears in one form, its just takes on another form. Sort of like changing dresses, but you're still the same person. Little do they realize that their most passionate goals are vain pursuits.

But if you look closely, it doesn't even seem like this matters to them. That aiming for these grand ambitions is rather a facade. You'd find very little thought, planning, strategy on how to take on the issues they attach themselves to. You're not going to find much in the writing of Dawkins and company that explore the nature of religion in relationship to the problems they paint, or how to go about curing the disease.

And for those that do genuinely seek to resolve these problems, violence is not an option for them, but what happens when violence is perceived as the only option for some, the ugly elements that can easily attach themselves to a group that has no real focal center, but just scattered individuals, only united by their anger?

Our atheist may be too be privileged to have to think of this question, and perhaps they continually will be.

And if that's the case, then I can't say your delusion is a bad thing. Surely, believers become the victims of name calling, and some atheist continue to believe that they belong to some superior group, of the most gifted thinkers, and the truly rational, while every one else is seen as deluded by their myths.

But yet for this price, you get your striving community, a sense of voice, and identity, you make some friends, don't feel so isolated anymore. You get t-shirts, and bumper stickers, and pins, and books that write of how privileged and lucky you are; professors that call you "Brights". Even our marginal loser, gets to feel that he's in the league of a Carl Sagan.

Even I get to partake at your table. You may not like me here, but I sure like your soup.

Perhaps the price is worth it.

You ask me if I find your delusion to be a bad thing? And I'm on the fence here. The way things are now, I couldn't say they are. I lean on the side of saying they're perhaps a good thing for our lonely atheist in a meaningless world. But often I'm apathetic-- to each his own.

If I lean on the side of 'bad', the worry is about what it all becomes? How is all this going to look tomorrow.
theidiot

Print view this post

#191  Postby Animavore » Mar 21, 2010 6:39 pm

That was probably the bleakest blanket statement I've read in my life.

You should read Straw Dogs by John Gray. I think you'd enjoy it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#192  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 21, 2010 6:41 pm

theidiot wrote:
purplerat wrote:Your own argument has been that mass delusion is bad - which I agree with.

But no. Delusions are not intrinsically 'bad'. It's a part of being human. A normal human being can be delusional for a number of reasons, like the love for her a child, might not allow her to see him as guilty of a crime a jury conclusively decided he is the culprit of. Education, how big of an IQ you posses doesn't shield you from the power of delusion.

We live in a meaningless world, the idea that truth is intrinsically linked to the good is a fiction. I knew a family coming to grips with a brutal murder of a son. It was a cruel card that life dealt them. The delusion of believing that they'll see him again, that the mother will one day be reunited with her young boy, may not have resolved the anguish, but it helped to numb the pain a little. That's life, it's a privileged beauty for some, and a cruel and dark corner for others. We do what we have to, to come to terms with it.

Human emotions are highly volatile, and we often cling to delusions to contain them.

I'm not speaking of all delusions, but a particular sort of delusion, a delusion that is birthed by our anger, a delusion that leads to victimizing. It's a delusion that leads us to scapegoat an entire group of people, because of the actions of a few, where that entire groups becomes the object of our anger.

This delusion, has some 'good' things coming out of it as well, like this community, best selling books, conventions, getting people to come out and identify themselves as a part of this community. Scapegoating united an entire german society, brought them out of the despair of a depression, and renewed their hope through a violent delusion.

It can be argued the delusion even here is a good thing, it can be argued it's a bad thing as well. I sort of stand on the fence here.

On one side it provides a sense of community, allowed many to make new friends, to not feel so isolated, on the other side we have the coin that feeds in group out group mentality, that sees groups that don't belong to their brand as inferior. Dawkins speaks of world where all that secularist value is under attack, and that it's time for the courageous atheist to go on the attack as well.

Historically, such a crusading spirit for rationalism and enlightenment thinking, that it has to be fought against a formidable enemy ends up in cruel violence. Violence becomes the option when all else seems to fail. This has nothing to do with rationalism or enlightenment thought at all, or even a belief that everyone should be rational and value enlightenment thinking, but rather it's fueled by the anger and resentment for those who don't share your ideology.

It's one thing for someone to believe that their christianity is true, and that other worldview are false, so we go knocking on people's door and talk to them about Christianity, it's another thing to go knock on their doors and express how much you hate them, and can't stand them for not being Christians, or in its most extreme form," convert or die".

Yet there are certain things that are currently absent that doesn't link this sort of atheistic movement, to the violent movements of the past. One is that they abhor violence, but this has less to do with the group being above it, and more to do with group being privileged to not be familiar with their own violence. Secondly much of this anger is rather closeted, it exists in the halls of the internet, and some selective venues. It's sort of like the racism that exists in xbox live headsets, it's the anger of anonymity. So those you resent by in large don't care too much about you, mainly because you occupy a planet they've never visited. You probably going to find the word Atheist in a typical evangelical church service is less likely to be associated with Richard Dawkins, but more likely with a DC talk line: "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle."

Thirdly all the fuss occupies a very privileged corner of the world. Men have more bark than bite. This woman may be quite angry at the idea of in God we Trust on her money, but she's probably not going to do anything about it beyond this youtube video. She more likely prefers the comfort of her lattes and internet forums than the devotion and hard work needed to try and remove it.

You may be quite angry that a woman was stoned to death by the Taliban, that some cult leader molested a little girl, but what are you going to do about it? "We're going to tell people we're angry, and tell the Taliban shame on you". And when you realize that most of these things you want to change, particularly the worst forms of it, give you the middle finger for all your effort, then what?

This brings into question what does this look like in the future? How does it turn? If religion has receded in certain part of the world it has done so organically, not by any sort of active effort. The beliefs of many prominent atheist of the past, is that religion would decline just like that. They would probably be a bit astonished to see the world as it exists today. Now we're looking at a semi-global movement to actively recede it, to create a world where there are less religious individuals, to see atheism on the rise through some active effort.

Little do they realize the formidable nature of the things they so strongly oppose, that they are the products of the basic irrationality of human life. if it disappears in one form, its just takes on another form. Sort of like changing dresses, but you're still the same person. Little do they realize that their most passionate goals are vain pursuits.

But if you look closely, it doesn't even seem like this matters to them. That aiming for these grand ambitions is rather a facade. You'd find very little thought, planning, strategy on how to take on the issues they attach themselves to. You're not going to find much in the writing of Dawkins and company that explore the nature of religion in relationship to the problems they paint, or how to go about curing the disease.

And for those that do genuinely seek to resolve these problems, violence is not an option for them, but what happens when violence is perceived as the only option for some, the ugly elements that can easily attach themselves to a group that has no real focal center, but just scattered individuals, only united by their anger?

Our atheist may be too be privileged to have to think of this question, and perhaps they continually will be.

And if that's the case, then I can't say your delusion is a bad thing. Surely, believers become the victims of name calling, and some atheist continue to believe that they belong to some superior group, of the most gifted thinkers, and the truly rational, while every one else is seen as deluded by their myths.

But yet for this price, you get your striving community, a sense of voice, and identity, you make some friends, don't feel so isolated anymore. You get t-shirts, and bumper stickers, and pins, and books that write of how privileged and lucky you are; professors that call you "Brights". Even our marginal loser, gets to feel that he's in the league of a Carl Sagan.

Even I get to partake at your table. You may not like me here, but I sure like your soup.

Perhaps the price is worth it.

You ask me if I find your delusion to be a bad thing? And I'm on the fence here. The way things are now, I couldn't say they are. I lean on the side of saying they're perhaps a good thing for our lonely atheist in a meaningless world. But often I'm apathetic-- to each his own.

If I lean on the side of 'bad', the worry is about what it all becomes? How is all this going to look tomorrow.

You're right, you've convinced me. Atheism is bad, Christianity is innocent. I'll never accomplish anything with my mean old angry atheism. I'm just going to give up.

:lol:
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#193  Postby MattHunX » Mar 21, 2010 6:56 pm

theidiot wrote:

I've only read part of your post, but it's interesting how you describe why people cling to delusions in their struggle to fit into a community, to belong, to feel better about life and themselves...etc.

And then, you practically say oh, but religion is not like that, it's not that kind of delusion. And...

You dare accuse us of being violent in our effort to simply get people to use their minds, and you use the phrase "crusading spirit", but forgetting about what YOUR side has done to people who "didn't share your ideology". And that's true christianity, the Pat Robertson kind. As Dawkins said, all who say Robertson has a distorted view and doesn't speak for all christians, are nothing but cherry-pickers who reject part of the dogma and take only those "teachings" that suit them and talk about being intellectually honest and knowing the "true word" when they don't even take every bit word for word as they should, since it's the inerrant word of their god.

theidiot wrote:It's one thing for someone to believe that their christianity is true, and that other worldview are false, so we go knocking on people's door and talk to them about Christianity, it's another thing to go knock on their doors and express how much you hate them, and can't stand them for not being Christians, or in its most extreme form," convert or die".

And how many atheist do you see who are doing that?
MattHunX

Print view this post

#194  Postby Wiðercora » Mar 21, 2010 7:26 pm

My mother ate my father after mating.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#195  Postby Mazille » Mar 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Wiðercora wrote:My mother ate my father after mating.

Funny. I think I got that on tape.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYp_Xi4AtAQ[/youtube]
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#196  Postby theidiot » Mar 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Wiðercora wrote:My mother ate my father after mating.

That's hott
theidiot

Print view this post

#197  Postby Beatrice » Mar 21, 2010 8:41 pm

I have a very good relationship with my father, one that is based, on love and mutual respect. Why?

Oh, I see.....

I'm an atheist.

I think I might start a thread on "Atheists and dry-shampoo".
Phew... for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself.....
"GOD" is an acronym which stands for "GOD Over Djinn".
Beatrice
RS Donator

Name:
Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#198  Postby purplerat » Mar 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for your reply theidiot. I answered some of your response and mostly just tried to focus on the part about why I view the fundamental delusion of theism as bad. Beyond that I'm not really concerned with all the stuff about the world being meaningless and there being no point in trying to change things. Your original claim was that anti-theist have no real reason to be anti-theism and their dislike for theism/religion was really an indication of some other issue in their life not related to religion. I think I've personally laid out a very good reason why I should dislike theism and religion in general having nothing to do with anything other than those reason alone.

theidiot wrote:

You yourself have listed the numbers for some of the larger religions. We're talking about billions of people between Christianity and Islam alone who believe in fantasy and put it on par with observable reality. I don't know any better definition for the term "Mass Delusion" than billions of people believing in a man who lives in the sky that nobody has ever seen. They believe in claims that are both fantastic beyond rational belief and unverifiable and accept them as being as true as anything else in their lives.

theidiot wrote:

Some delusions may not be bad, and some may even be positive when viewed in a vacuum. A grieving mother may find comfort in believing she will see her son in an afterlife. She may find so much comfort that she decides to kill herself to see him sooner. Maybe she also kills the rest of her family before killing herself because she wants them all to be there together.

The problem with religious delusions is not necessarily the delusions themselves (although some of them are pretty bad). Rather the real problem is the way religion teaches people to defer to delusions over reality. Believing prayer can cure a disease is not necessarily bad on it's own and may even create enough good feelings to have to positive effect. But when you believe that there is a sky daddy who controls everything to the point that you defer to his wishes over the reality of medical treatment then there is something very wrong going on.

theidiot wrote:

Except that violent anti-theism is pretty scarce. It's in no way analogous to Nazism or the holocaust (a reference you've brought up several times). When Dawkins or others say "go an the attack" it is not even metaphorically meant in a violent way. Like I said before you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what is going on here and you seemed more concerned with making reality fit your theory than the other way around.

theidiot wrote:

This is where general theistic delusion is bad. The delusion that a Christian human is fundamentally different, almost as in another species, from non-Christians is bad - no ifs, ands or buts about it. There is so much wrong with holding such a core belief that I'm not even going to bother trying to explain it. You've suggest some level of personal interest/knowledge of psychology and sociology so you should understand why that type of delusion is intrinsically bad.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#199  Postby Stagman » Mar 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I consider myself anti-theist, however I have never met my father so cannot comment on that. I have no desire to meet him nor any disdain toward him.
I did have a step father for a while. He was atheist, nudging toward the anti-theist, and was pretty much the one person who taught me to be critical of all. Thanks to him I'm not into the churchy stuff. My relationship with him went down in later years.
Still don't get what this question is all about...
Stagman

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#200  Postby Scarlett » Mar 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Beatrice wrote:I have a very good relationship with my father, one that is based, on love and mutual respect. Why?

Oh, I see.....

I'm an atheist.

I think I might start a thread on "Atheists and dry-shampoo".

I'm an atheist and I have quite a crappy relationship with my dad, isn't that a coincidence? We're both atheists :cheers:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism