Stanfords new definition of atheism

Still bullshit

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Stanfords new definition of atheism

#221  Postby romansh » Aug 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
This looks to me like theist definitions. Atheism is not a belief system.

So somebody who believes god does not exist, does not have a belief system?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#222  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 16, 2017 7:50 pm

romansh wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Atheism isn't 'the belief that god does not exist', so your question does not adress SD point.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#223  Postby romansh » Aug 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Atheism isn't 'the belief that god does not exist', so your question does not adress SD point.

OK what is believing god does not exist?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#224  Postby zulumoose » Aug 16, 2017 8:38 pm

romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Believing god does not exist is a hardcore subset of atheism, just like base jumpers are a hardcore subset of adrenalin junkies, or vegans are a hardcore subset of vegetarianism.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#225  Postby romansh » Aug 16, 2017 9:01 pm

zulumoose wrote: Believing god does not exist is a hardcore subset of atheism, just like base jumpers are a hardcore subset of adrenalin junkies, or vegans are a hardcore subset of vegetarianism.

While I might not disagree, I would use slightly more formal language as I did here post 217

Scot D and Thomas somehow seem to object.
romansh

Print view this post

#226  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 16, 2017 9:34 pm

romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Strong, possibly, gnostic atheism.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#227  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 16, 2017 9:35 pm

romansh wrote:
zulumoose wrote: Believing god does not exist is a hardcore subset of atheism, just like base jumpers are a hardcore subset of adrenalin junkies, or vegans are a hardcore subset of vegetarianism.

While I might not disagree, I would use slightly more formal language as I did here post 217

I object to atheism in general being defined as the positive claim or belief god(s) don't exist.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#228  Postby Pebble » Aug 16, 2017 9:35 pm

romansh wrote:Here's my take on the subject: an atheist is a collective noun for at least one of the following:

weak atheist ... someone who does not have a belief in a god.
    agnostic atheist ... someone who does not know whether god exists or not.
    strong atheist ... someone who believes god does not exist.
    gnostic atheist ... someone who knows god does not exist.

This is the way I use the word atheist and its derivatives.

The following would be closer to the mark

Atheist someone who either seeks rational rather than magical explanations for the existence of the universe or is happy to accept nature as it is, without inquiry.
Anti-theist someone that believes that it is wrong to assert that God(s) exist.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#229  Postby romansh » Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:

I object to atheism in general being defined as the positive claim or belief god(s) don't exist.

That's OK ... but what would you call someone who denies the existence of god?
romansh

Print view this post

#230  Postby romansh » Aug 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:

Sorry missed your previous post ... yes that is what I said ... so definitions of atheism should include (but not be limited to) hard, strong and gnostic?
romansh

Print view this post

#231  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 16, 2017 10:22 pm

If you're interested in what the atheist believes, you should probably use a qualifier. Otherwise, they just find the available evidence for any gods to be unconvincing. Since so many people seem to attack this position as if it were asserting that no gods exist, it seems like a necessary distinction to make, especially since folks seem to intentionally make that mistake in order to foist their burden of proof onto others.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#232  Postby romansh » Aug 16, 2017 10:31 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:If you're interested in what the atheist believes, you should probably use a qualifier. Otherwise, they just find the available evidence for any gods to be unconvincing. Since so many people seem to attack this position as if it were asserting that no gods exist, it seems like a necessary distinction to make, especially since folks seem to intentionally make that mistake in order to foist their burden of proof onto others.

Don't disagree SaM
My question remains when we use the word "atheism", we obviously include the soft, weak and agnostic qualifiers. But are we excluding the strong, hard, gnostic qualifiers?
romansh

Print view this post

#233  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 16, 2017 11:26 pm

romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:

Your question is phrased poorly as it implies that someone knows that a god exists but wants to deny it.
I already answered your question re: someone who believes god(s) don't exist: A hard/positive (possibly gnostic) atheist.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#234  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 16, 2017 11:29 pm

romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Sorry missed your previous post ... yes that is what I said ... so definitions of atheism should include (but not be limited to) hard, strong and gnostic?

Yes. It's really simple.
The one thing all atheists have in common is the absence of a belief in deities.
Among those there are those who positively believe gods don't/can't exist, some who think we can never know, some who find it a silly belief, etc.,etc.

But the one thing they all have in common and what makes them atheists, is the lack of belief in gods.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#235  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 16, 2017 11:29 pm

romansh wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:If you're interested in what the atheist believes, you should probably use a qualifier. Otherwise, they just find the available evidence for any gods to be unconvincing. Since so many people seem to attack this position as if it were asserting that no gods exist, it seems like a necessary distinction to make, especially since folks seem to intentionally make that mistake in order to foist their burden of proof onto others.

Don't disagree SaM
My question remains when we use the word "atheism", we obviously include the soft, weak and agnostic qualifiers. But are we excluding the strong, hard, gnostic qualifiers?

No.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#236  Postby romansh » Aug 16, 2017 11:32 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:

Don't disagree SaM

No.

So from a clarity point of view why not include positive and negative atheism?
romansh

Print view this post

#237  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 16, 2017 11:41 pm

romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:

Don't disagree SaM

No.

Where did I say I didn't? In fact I said the exact opposite: they are subsets of atheism.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#238  Postby romansh » Aug 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:
Don't disagree SaM

No.

Where did I say I didn't? In fact I said the exact opposite: they are subsets of atheism.

Am I misunderstanding something here?
Thomas Eshuis wrote: I object to atheism in general being defined as the positive claim or belief god(s) don't exist.
romansh

Print view this post

#239  Postby monkeyboy » Aug 16, 2017 11:51 pm

romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:

What, they deny the possibility of god existing in their mind whatever evidence is presented to them? That's strong atheism. They still lack belief in god existing.

Would they deny the existence of bigfoot or fairies at the bottom of the garden or would they just consider the tales to be bunkum and unbelievable? It seems an odd position to take and one which theists would prefer people to have since it alllows for their position that the evidence is irrefutable yet some would deny it.

I simply don't believe in god(s). Any of them. The positive belief I hold regarding them is that they are man made constructs, dating back to times when people ignorant of current understanding and knowledge about the world was absent. A creator and someone who controlled phenomenon such as extreme weather, earthquakes, floods etc substituted for knowledge we have available today. Worship and rituals were thought to have influence over these gods and whatever seemed successful in bringing about favourable conditions stuck. If then, something went badly, people were sought to blame, hence the invention of evil/devil's/witches/and others to demonise and blame. Alternatively, scapegoats could be blamed and/or appointed to be sacrificed to the god as appeasement, restoring the good favour of the believers. It genuinely baffles me that people still believe this sort of stuff. You only have to look at those who blame tsunamis or devastating hurricanes on groups like homosexuals who according to some are sinners against god. We know what causes these phenomenon yet still this bullshit superstition persists in some people's minds.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#240  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 16, 2017 11:55 pm

romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
romansh wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
No.

Am I misunderstanding something here?
Thomas Eshuis wrote: I object to atheism in general being defined as the positive claim or belief god(s) don't exist.

Yes. I am saying I object to atheism = the positive claim/belief (a) god(s) exist.
The latter is a subset of the former, not the the whole.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism