There's no such thing as an atheist baby

as silly as assuming a default language or nationality

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: There's no such thing as an atheist baby

#101  Postby redwhine » Aug 07, 2014 11:10 am

Animavore wrote: A baby has never made any decision or definined themselves in any way.

So...

It has not decided to believe in god or gods, nor defined itself as a theist

So...

It is without belief in god or gods

So...

(Guess what.)

It is an atheist.
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Animavore » Aug 07, 2014 11:17 am

redwhine wrote:
Animavore wrote: A baby has never made any decision or definined themselves in any way.

So...

So...

So...

(Guess what.)

It is an atheist.

But then you might as well say onions, rocks and corpses and anything else which lacks the mental faculties with which to form concepts are also athesit.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#103  Postby redwhine » Aug 07, 2014 11:25 am

Animavore wrote:
redwhine wrote:

So...

So...

So...

(Guess what.)

It is an atheist.

But then you might as well say onions, rocks and corpses and anything else which lacks the mental faculties with which to form concepts are also athesit.

Now you're getting it.

Anything and everything that is not theistic is atheistic.

What do I believe?

redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Animavore » Aug 07, 2014 11:32 am

redwhine wrote:
Animavore wrote:
redwhine wrote:

So...

So...

So...

(Guess what.)

It is an atheist.

Now you're getting it.

How can something which is incapable of concepts such gods be considered to be atheist in any meaningful way? A rock is a- anything with regards man-made concepts.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#105  Postby hackenslash » Aug 07, 2014 11:55 am

That's an interesting case, Ani, and it did give me a little pause for thought, but I'd still call a corpse atheist.

ETA: Would you generally refer to dead people in the past tense? Would you not say that he was a theist, as opposed to still being one?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#106  Postby hackenslash » Aug 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Animavore wrote:How can something which is incapable of concepts such gods be considered to be atheist in any meaningful way? A rock is a- anything with regards man-made concepts.

I addressed this in detail above.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#107  Postby Animavore » Aug 07, 2014 12:08 pm

hackenslash wrote:That's an interesting case, Ani, and it did give me a little pause for thought, but I'd still call a corpse atheist.

ETA: Would you generally refer to dead people in the past tense? Would you not say that he was a theist, as opposed to still being one?

I'd refer to them in the past tense. Whatever they were that is all gone once the brain ceases. After that they're just inanimate meat.
Some theists might refer to them dead ones as if they're still there, looking over them or some junk. I guess a person who is "with God now" is still a theist in the eyes of a theist. Although I'm sure they'd still refer to the corpse itself in the past tense. According to them whoever that person was, they've moved on.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#108  Postby hackenslash » Aug 07, 2014 12:13 pm

Animavore wrote:I'd refer to them in the past tense. Whatever they were that is all gone once the brain ceases.

Bingo! So they're no longer theist, then.

After that they're just inanimate meat.
Some theists might refer to them dead ones as if they're still there, looking over them or some junk. I guess a person who is "with God now" is still a theist in the eyes of a theist. Although I'm sure they'd still refer to the corpse itself in the past tense. According to them whoever that person was, they've moved on.

Well, it should be noted that theists think that the person carries on after the bag of mostly water has expired, so in their worldview, the person would still and always, in the present, be a theist (or an atheist), but we also know that they're talking bollocks in this regard.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#109  Postby Animavore » Aug 07, 2014 12:16 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Bingo! So they're no longer theist, then.

They're no longer anything.

hackenslash wrote:
Well, it should be noted that theists think that the person carries on after the bag of mostly water has expired, so in their worldview, the person would still and always, in the present, be a theist (or an atheist), but we also know that they're talking bollocks in this regard.

I'm not sure how someone can remain an atheist after death in a theistic worldview. In fact many of them think that when we die and we're getting ass-raped with hot-pokers we'll know for damn sure there is a God.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#110  Postby hackenslash » Aug 07, 2014 12:20 pm

Animavore wrote:They're no longer anything.

It's a true dichotomy.

I'm not sure how someone can remain an atheist after death in a theistic worldview. In fact many of them think that when we die and we're getting ass-raped with hot-pokers we'll know for damn sure there is a God.

I've addressed that at length in the past. I've already stated categorically that, even were a deity to introduce himself to me in person, with unequivocal evidence that he were, in fact, a deity, I would remain an atheist. Of course, we'd be operating under one of the other definitions of atheism at this point, but the simple fact is that I have no deity, regardless of the existence of one. It isn't mine, and I'm not its.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#111  Postby Fallible » Aug 07, 2014 12:20 pm

Well again, this is what I think - the only utility in labelling a corpse or a rock an atheist is in discussions like this where we are basically just thrashing out technicalities for situations which I can't conceive of ever coming up outside of said discussions. Technically speaking both are atheist, but much like we don't go around making the specific point that rocks don't enjoy films in the romance genre, we don't go round making that specific point either. I personally only find utility in using the word 'atheist' to describe other human beings, by which I mean post-birth and pre-death members of the species homo sapiens sapiens.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#112  Postby hackenslash » Aug 07, 2014 12:21 pm

Fallible wrote:Well again, this is what I think - the only utility in labelling a corpse or a rock an atheist is in discussions like this where we are basically just thrashing out technicalities for situations which I can't conceive of ever coming up outside of said discussions. Technically speaking both are atheist, but much like we don't go around making the specific point that rocks don't enjoy films in the romance genre, we don't go round making that specific point either. I personally only find utility in using the word 'atheist' to describe other human beings, by which I mean post-birth and pre-death members of the species homo sapiens sapiens.

Exactly, and beautifully put.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#113  Postby halucigenia » Aug 07, 2014 12:49 pm

What I often wonder about in discussions such as this is the following scenario; In a world without theists, according to some, there would be no atheists because they could not possibly have entertained the concept of theism. However, if in that world one person came up with the idea of gods and no one else knew about it, or even if only their immediate close friends knew about it, would everyone else in that world immediately become atheists? :ask:
halucigenia

Print view this post

#114  Postby hackenslash » Aug 07, 2014 12:59 pm

halucigenia wrote:What I often wonder about in discussions such as this is the following scenario; In a world without theists, according to some, there would be no atheists because they could not possibly have entertained the concept of theism. However, if in that world one person came up with the idea of gods and no one else knew about it, or even if only their immediate close friends knew about it, would everyone else in that world immediately become atheists? :ask:

No, those who suggest that, in world without theists, there would be no atheists are simply wrong. We wouldn't have a word for it prior to a conception of deity being formulated but the world would still be full of atheists.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#115  Postby purplerat » Aug 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Animavore wrote:
redwhine wrote:
Animavore wrote:
redwhine wrote:
So...

So...

So...

(Guess what.)

It is an atheist.

Now you're getting it.

How can something which is incapable of concepts such gods be considered to be atheist in any meaningful way? A rock is a- anything with regards man-made concepts.

I don't see why this is a problem. Describing something, anything, as lacking a particular quality does not require that it could have that quality.
It might be odd to describe something like a rock that way if there was no particular reason, but if somebody claimed a rock was a Christian rock it would be correct to answer that it's atheistic because it lacks the capability of being theistic.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#116  Postby redwhine » Aug 07, 2014 8:50 pm

A red car is not a blue car even if it does not know that it is not a blue car.

What do I believe?

redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#117  Postby hackenslash » Aug 07, 2014 9:17 pm

redwhine wrote:A red car is not a blue car even if it does not know that it is not a blue car.

You know what, mate? That might be one of the most elegant posts I've ever seen.

Bookmarking to pop in the appropriate thread when it isn't a pain in the arse to do so.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#118  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Aug 07, 2014 11:38 pm

Fallible wrote:Well again, this is what I think - the only utility in labelling a corpse or a rock an atheist is in discussions like this where we are basically just thrashing out technicalities for situations which I can't conceive of ever coming up outside of said discussions. Technically speaking both are atheist, but much like we don't go around making the specific point that rocks don't enjoy films in the romance genre, we don't go round making that specific point either. I personally only find utility in using the word 'atheist' to describe other human beings, by which I mean post-birth and pre-death members of the species homo sapiens sapiens.

Well if there are atheist rocks you can point out to theists that they are being out-witted by pebbles! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#119  Postby cogitate-truth » Aug 10, 2014 7:18 pm

Babies are born with a blank slate so, there are neither believer, nor non-believer babies.

This makes babies typical zipper-heads, their parents or guardians unzip their little heads and pour in whatever they want them to believe.

Why? Because, they are afraid that if they wait until the child can reason then the idea may be rejected.
cogitate-truth

Name: Leslie Snovelle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Fallible » Aug 10, 2014 7:21 pm

You can't be neither a believer nor a non-believer.

Secondly, that's decidedly not the way I brought up my own kid.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism