There's no such thing as an atheist baby

as silly as assuming a default language or nationality

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: There's no such thing as an atheist baby

#121  Postby Mac_Guffin » Aug 10, 2014 7:28 pm

Depends on how you define "atheist". If you mean just a lack of belief in a deity, they are. On an anecdotal note, my 10 year old niece told me, when talking about religion, that when she was little she didn't know anything about God and that she found out what it was later.
I sometimes get the feeling she will end up as an atheist, and while I do believe now, I totally support her. We were discussing religion, and I told her how many people believe in different things and some people don't believe, and it's all okay unless it harms another person.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#122  Postby Fallible » Aug 10, 2014 7:29 pm

If that's a response to me, the term was 'non-believer' You either believe or you don't. If it's not a response to me, never mind.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#123  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 10, 2014 7:41 pm

cogitate-truth wrote:
Babies are born with a blank slate so, there are neither believer, nor non-believer babies

Have you read comment number 77 by hackenslash in this thread because if not you really should
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#124  Postby hackenslash » Aug 10, 2014 7:44 pm

cogitate-truth wrote:Babies are born with a blank slate so, there are neither believer, nor non-believer babies.

That might hold water if it weren't for the simple fact that it's a true dichotomy. Either you believe or you don't.

This makes babies typical zipper-heads, their parents or guardians unzip their little heads and pour in whatever they want them to believe.

And if they pour in nothing, they won't believe, ergo: they'll be atheist.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#125  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Aug 11, 2014 12:12 am

I salmon could philosophize or think strategically [I will cunningly ignore the question if they actually can do these things or not! :) ]. They may remark: "Fuckit! Only two of my eggs need to survive for me to do my bit to keep the population stable". With humans, the investment [particularly by the mother] in an individually fertilized egg is HUGE. And these babies are born as helpless as they can be. So the logic is that babies Are zipperheads, and the priority is data collection, not processing. "Be cute, get mum to help me, feed me, tell me what is dangerous about the world" is the pseudocode for a bay's survival. Of course the baby's half-developed brain it will let in woo. So they may lack religion [they lack a lot of opinions], but it sets them up for any nonsense that the parent may communicate to them.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#126  Postby ADParker » Aug 11, 2014 8:23 am

cogitate-truth wrote:Babies are born with a blank slate so, there are neither believer, nor non-believer babies.

That's like saying that an object is nether white or non-white. A breaking of the Law of excluded middle, third of the three classic laws of thought (the big three).

To put it even more simply: If someone is not a believer then they are a non-believer. Because "not a believer" means "a non-believer".
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Animavore » Aug 11, 2014 8:34 am

Mac_Guffin wrote: On an anecdotal note, my 10 year old niece told me, when talking about religion, that when she was little she didn't know anything about God and that she found out what it was later.

This is an odd turn of phrase to me. I don't know anything about God to this day. I've never been able to figure out, exactly, what it was actually supposed to be. All I know is what people tell me it is, but they seem all be describing something different. I'm reminded of the blind men searching the elephant analogy, only there doesn't seem to be an elephant there in this case. Except the one that is in the room.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#128  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 11, 2014 4:35 pm

ADParker wrote:

That's like saying that an object is nether white or non-white. A breaking of the Law of excluded middle, third of the three classic laws of thought (the big three).

To put it even more simply: If someone is not a believer then they are a non-believer. Because "not a believer" means "a non-believer".

This may be the same issue as with "atheist" v. "theist", depending on your definition of "non-believer" - ie, does it mean consciously non-believing, or just by default (ie, not having thought about it)? :dunno:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Hamster » Aug 11, 2014 10:23 pm

DavidMcC wrote:This may be the same issue as with "atheist" v. "theist", depending on your definition of "non-believer" - ie, does it mean consciously non-believing, or just by default (ie, not having thought about it)? :dunno:

Hmmmm... so it's possible for someone who's believing is "acquired", by default, unconsciously through tradition/culture rather than by some conscious submission/acceptance/epiphany might actually be a "non-believer" at some level?

No I didn't think so either.

A friend of mine once tried to argue that once a baby was christened/baptized they were xtian regardless.
He reckoned I was xtian because I was christened (and have the mug to prove it).
[He did eventually change his mind over years of knowing me.]
Last edited by ADParker on Aug 12, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected quote tags
Hamster

Print view this post

#130  Postby hackenslash » Aug 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Hamster wrote:A friend of mine once tried to argue that once a baby was christened/baptized they were xtian regardless.

It's a central tenet of Christian dogma (or at catholic dogma, at least). There was a famous case of an Italian-Jewish child name of Edgardo Mortara who, when sick, and feared by the christian domestic looking after him to be dying, was baptised by her. When the church heard about it, they removed him from his parents because the ad hoc baptism made him officially christian, and there was no way that a christian child was being raised by Jews. This was in the mid 1890s.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#131  Postby ADParker » Aug 12, 2014 9:08 am

DavidMcC wrote:
ADParker wrote:

This may be the same issue as with "atheist" v. "theist", depending on your definition of "non-believer" - ie, does it mean consciously non-believing, or just by default (ie, not having thought about it)? :dunno:

I prefer to take words as they are presented. "Non-believer" includes no hint, or limitation to, being conscious of it. Why assume someone means anything of a narrower scope than what they actually said?
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#132  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 12, 2014 12:25 pm

ADParker wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
ADParker wrote:

I prefer to take words as they are presented. "Non-believer" includes no hint, or limitation to, being conscious of it. Why assume someone means anything of a narrower scope than what they actually said?

Because that's the way language is. Look up almost any word in the dictionary, and you will find different shades of meaning. Often, context can be used to decide what the word means in that context, but other times it has to either be specified by the user of the word, or guessed, and so ambiguity comes in. In this case, you may be being a little idiosyncratic in your choice of definition, and you therefore may sometimes cause confusion.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Fallible » Aug 12, 2014 12:35 pm

It's pointless, I wouldn't even bother.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#135  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 12, 2014 12:56 pm

hackenslash wrote::picard:

If you don't understand, you should ask, not just be appalled, because you are only showing your ignorance.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 12, 2014 1:16 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

If you don't understand, you should ask, not just be appalled, because you are only showing your ignorance.

Atheist are people who do not believe in gods, regardless of whether this lack of belief is based on ignorance or knowledge.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#137  Postby hackenslash » Aug 12, 2014 1:30 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

I understand perfectly, thanks.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#138  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Atheist are people who do not believe in gods, regardless of whether this lack of belief is based on ignorance or knowledge.

That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. However, my dictionary (Chambers'), at least, describes "atheism" as "DISBELIEF in a god". Note, the word, "DISbelief" is used. The same dictionary defines "disbelieve" as "believe to be false". This does not mean merely a non-belief by default, but a positive and deliberate non-belief. I'm sure that there are dictionaries around that are less clear about that, but it is the definition that many of us understand to be the "best" one, even if hack, etc, pour scorn on it, on the basis of ignorance.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Fallible » Aug 12, 2014 1:39 pm

:yawn: Many other dictionaries define disbelief as refusal or INABILITY to believe. You can therefore disbelieve simply because you are unable to believe, which says nothing about any deliberate non-belief. This discussion has been had so many fucking times.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#140  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 12, 2014 1:39 pm

They pour scorn on it for being a shit definition and one that needs to be changed in dictionaries since it doesn't match the current usage of the people who claim the label.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism