What's wrong with voluntary euthanasia?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's wrong with voluntary euthanasia?

#341  Postby shh » Jun 01, 2010 11:03 am

Gallstones wrote:If we are talking about teenagers or young adults or adults in their first episode of depression then I agree with you. They should be encouraged to seek treatment. And to show just what a hypocrite I am, I would be very concerned about any one I cared about who was suicidal regardless of the circumstances and would want to be able to do something to assist them and get them to reconsider. Even to the point of intrusion and interference by making the necessary phone calls to summon the proper authorities.

I don't think that's hypocrisy, that's just the difference between dealing with an abstract conception and something that's actually happening to you.
I'd do the same, unless I'd been convinced that it was the right thing for them to do, but again, that "unless" is abstract, and so unlikely as to be impossible in practice.
Here's the thing though, a person quickly learns how the system works and then can avoid triggering a response by the system.
No argument there, but in this case, what options are there? All you can do is look to those who are left, and do what you can there.
There are those who suffer from depression who get no relief from the standard treatment options and have not gotten relief for many years to many decades despite having made the good faith effort to try. For most people I think you are correct, they can and will find the condition transitory. However, in order for them to have a chance at survival they need a support network. And one of the first things to be lost during prolonged or severe depression is that network--people drop you like you are infectious, or they get disgusted or discouraged or angry--their own discomfort with you causes them to avoid you. And the nature of the disease is such that once the threshold is breached where one is struggling just to function, one is often unable to affect help for oneself, withdrawal intensifies and the situation gets worse. A person has to be extremely mentally tough to endure that and wait it out while willfully maintaining hope for getting back your life. That is difficult to do alone. Also, the disordered thinking that goes along with depression can cause a person to be temporarily disoriented and obsessive and unable to tell if their thoughts coincide with reality or not. It might take a second, informed person to derail that process.
Again, no argument. I think there are ways to deal with this, but they rely on a persons entire upbringing, and attitude, I'm not sure there's anything specific you can do once it gets to this stage, other than your best, whatever that might be.

r.c. wrote:I feel committing suicide when you have loved ones is akin to deserting your best friend in his time of need. Of course, you have the right to do it, but is a selfish option.
I don't see the analogy tbh. What's wrong with being selfish?
wiki wrote: despite the fact that chocolate is not a fruit[citation needed]
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#342  Postby XiledSpawn » Jun 01, 2010 12:24 pm

Gallstones wrote::hug: I was addressing whomever is making the argument that the pain of the survivors should take precedence over the pain of the depressed and suicidal person.

Ok, not me then :happydance:
"Until that day, that all are one" ~ Optimus Prime

Everybody equal, everybody loved!
XiledSpawn
RS Donator

Name: Michael Smith
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#343  Postby Scott H » Jun 09, 2010 11:19 am

shh wrote:What's wrong with being selfish?

There are two types of selfishness: the selfishness of entitlement to happiness as a conscious being (good selfishness), and the selfishness of disregard for the feelings of others (bad selfishness).

Thus, voluntary euthanasia may be seen to promote good selfishness, while forcing people through needless suffering may be seen to promote bad selfishness.
http://www.hoge-essays.com/cdl.html

I will not judge you by the color of your skin. But if I have to, I will judge you by the volume of your subwoofer.
Scott H

Name: Scott Hoge
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#344  Postby orpheus » Jun 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Of interest:

The New York Times wrote:
July 15, 2009
With Help, Conductor and Wife Ended Lives

By JOHN F. BURNS
LONDON — The controversy over the ethical and legal issues surrounding assisted suicide for the terminally ill was thrown into stark relief on Tuesday with the announcement that one of Britain’s most distinguished orchestra conductors, Sir Edward Downes, had flown to Switzerland last week with his wife and joined her in drinking a lethal cocktail of barbiturates provided by an assisted-suicide clinic.

Although friends who spoke to the British news media said Sir Edward was not known to have been terminally ill, they said he wanted to die with his ailing wife, who had been his partner for more than half a century.

The couple’s children said in an interview with The London Evening Standard that on Tuesday of last week they accompanied their father, 85, and their mother, Joan, 74, on the flight to Zurich, where the Swiss group Dignitas helped arrange the suicides. On Friday, the children said, they watched, weeping, as their parents drank “a small quantity of clear liquid” before lying down on adjacent beds, holding hands.

“Within a couple of minutes they were asleep, and died within 10 minutes,” Caractacus Downes, the couple’s 41-year-old son, said in the interview after his return to Britain. “They wanted to be next to each other when they died.” He added, “It is a very civilized way to end your life, and I don’t understand why the legal position in this country doesn’t allow it.”

Sir Edward, who was described in a statement issued earlier on Tuesday by Mr. Downes and his sister, Boudicca, 39, as “almost blind and increasingly deaf,” was principal conductor of the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra from 1980 to 1991. He was also a conductor of the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden in London, where he led 950 performances over more than 50 years.

Lady Downes, who British newspapers said was in the final stages of terminal cancer, was a former ballet dancer, choreographer and television producer who devoted her later years to working as her husband’s assistant.

“After 54 happy years together, they decided to end their own lives rather than continue to struggle with serious health problems,” the Downes children said in their statement.

British families who have used the Zurich clinic in the past have said that Dignitas charges about $6,570 for each assisted suicide.

Scotland Yard said in a statement on Tuesday that it had been informed on Monday “that a man and a woman” from London had died in Switzerland, and that it was “looking into the circumstances.” The information that prompted the police inquiry appeared to have been given voluntarily by the Downes family, which, Caractacus Downes said, “didn’t want to be untruthful about what had happened.”

“Even if they arrest us and send us to prison, it would have made no difference because it is what our parents wanted,” he said.

Attempting suicide has not been a criminal offense in Britain since 1961, but assisting others to kill themselves is. But since the Zurich clinic run by Dignitas was established in 1998 under Swiss laws that allow clinics to provide lethal drugs, British authorities have effectively turned a blind eye to Britons who go there to die.

None of the family members and friends who have accompanied the 117 people living in Britain who have traveled to the Zurich clinic for help in ending their lives have been charged with an offense. Legal experts said it was unlikely that that would change in the Downes case.

But British news reports about the Downeses’ suicides noted one factor that appeared to set the case apart from others involving the Dignitas clinic: Sir Edward appeared not to have been terminally ill. There have been at least three other cases similar to the Downeses’, in which a spouse who was not terminally ill chose to die with the other.

Sir Edward was known for his support for British composers and his passion for Prokofiev and Verdi. After studying at the Royal College of Music in London, he joined the Royal Opera House in 1952. His first assignment was prompting the soprano Maria Callas. He traveled widely as a conductor and became music director of the Australian Opera in the 1970s.

Friends of Sir Edward said that his decision to die with his wife did not surprise them. “Ted was completely rational,” said Richard Wigley, the general manager of the BBC Philharmonic. “So I can well imagine him, being so rational, saying, ‘It’s been great, so let’s end our lives together.’ ”

Jonathan Groves, Sir Edward’s manager, called their decision “typically brave and courageous.”

But even among those who support decriminalizing assisted suicide, Sir Edward’s death raised troubling questions. Sarah Wootton, chief executive of Dignity in Dying, said in a BBC interview that the growing numbers of Britons going abroad to die, and the manner of their deaths, made it more urgent to amend Britain’s laws. There are “no safeguards, no brakes on the process at all,” she said.

The British Medical Association voted this month against legalizing assisted suicide, or lifting the threat of prosecution from “friends and relatives who accompany loved ones to die abroad.” Last week, the House of Lords defeated a bill that would have allowed people, subject to safeguards, to travel abroad to help people choosing to die.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: July 16, 2009
An article on Wednesday about the double assisted suicide of a distinguished British conductor and his wife at a clinic in Switzerland misstated British law on suicides. Assisting others to commit suicide is a criminal offense, not attempting suicide. (The prohibition on attempting suicide was decriminalized in 1961.).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/world ... itain.html

I completely understand his decision. If I were in the same position, I'd probably do the same thing. And I'd want no interference - only compassion and assistance.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#345  Postby shh » Jun 09, 2010 3:34 pm

Scott H wrote:
shh wrote:What's wrong with being selfish?

There are two types of selfishness: the selfishness of entitlement to happiness as a conscious being (good selfishness), and the selfishness of disregard for the feelings of others (bad selfishness).

Thus, voluntary euthanasia may be seen to promote good selfishness, while forcing people through needless suffering may be seen to promote bad selfishness.

That's just a categorization, it's not a justification of the categories.
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#346  Postby Scott H » Jun 10, 2010 10:17 am

It's so frustrating that one reason we suffer so much is that people believe in a 'God.'

shh wrote:
Scott H wrote:There are two types of selfishness: the selfishness of entitlement to happiness as a conscious being (good selfishness), and the selfishness of disregard for the feelings of others (bad selfishness).

That's just a categorization, it's not a justification of the categories.

I call the first good selfishness because it encourages universal happiness, and the second bad selfishness because it excuses suffering.

I will not judge you by the color of your skin. But if I have to, I will judge you by the volume of your subwoofer.
Scott H

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#347  Postby shh » Jun 10, 2010 2:25 pm

You're missing my point. I know how you apply the labels, I want to know why you do.
What is "bad" about not caring about someone else's suffering? Is there some kind of axiom that it is every individual's responsibility to care about every other individual's suffering?
Do you think it's actually possible to care about everyone else's suffering?
Do you really think it's possible for everyone to be happy?
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#348  Postby Scott H » Jun 11, 2010 5:43 pm

shh wrote:You're missing my point. I know how you apply the labels, I want to know why you do.
What is "bad" about not caring about someone else's suffering? Is there some kind of axiom that it is every individual's responsibility to care about every other individual's suffering?
Do you think it's actually possible to care about everyone else's suffering?
Do you really think it's possible for everyone to be happy?

If no one cared about your suffering, then anyone could have your head.

To answer your third and fourth questions, I myself care about everyone's suffering. I meditate throughout the day on everyone else's consciousness. I do suspect it's possible for everyone to be happy, provided that everything that causes sadness is eliminated (possibly even animal-to-animal cruelty!) and we finally win what we have struggled so long to achieve. I certainly don't believe that one tiny bit of suffering justifies bringing a great deal more of it into the world, or that the continued existence of suffering means that we should leave it as it is.

Any jerk can tell you that there will always be cruelty; it takes bravery and compassion to do something about it.

Scott H

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#349  Postby Fallible » Jun 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Scott H wrote:
To answer your third and fourth questions, I myself care about everyone's suffering. I meditate throughout the day on everyone else's consciousness.

Care in what way? Because you've said things to me in this thread which would affect a less confident person adversely, causing them some suffering. There's no indication that that bothered you at all. You didn't even apologise when such was pointed out.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#350  Postby shh » Jun 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Scott H wrote:If no one cared about your suffering, then anyone could have your head.

Lol. So what? That has nothing to do with anything.
To answer your third and fourth questions, I myself care about everyone's suffering.I meditate throughout the day on everyone else's consciousness.
Lol That's not possible. You don't know everyone. You can meditate on being at the heart of a star without even getting sun burn.
I do suspect it's possible for everyone to be happy, provided that everything that causes sadness is eliminated (possibly even animal-to-animal cruelty!) and we finally win what we have struggled so long to achieve.
I do suspect this is fail.
I certainly don't believe that one tiny bit of suffering justifies bringing a great deal more of it into the world, or that the continued existence of suffering means that we should leave it as it is.
Who does?
Any jerk can tell you that there will always be cruelty; it takes bravery and compassion to do something about it.
Let's bravely and compassionately make abstract rules for governing the lives of people we don't even know then. To the Batmobile! :what:
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#351  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 11, 2010 7:34 pm

shh wrote:Let's bravely and compassionately make abstract rules for governing the lives of people we don't even know then. To the Batmobile!

I don't mean to Nagel, but "what is it like to be a Batmobile?" :drunk:
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#352  Postby shh » Jun 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
shh wrote:Let's bravely and compassionately make abstract rules for governing the lives of people we don't even know then. To the Batmobile!

I don't mean to Nagel, but "what is it like to be a Batmobile?" :drunk:

It's like you never imagined! :lol:
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#353  Postby Scott H » Jun 12, 2010 1:18 pm

shh wrote:
Scott H wrote:If no one cared about your suffering, then anyone could have your head.

Lol. So what? That has nothing to do with anything.

It has to do with your head. And your lack of empathy.

To answer your third and fourth questions, I myself care about everyone's suffering.I meditate throughout the day on everyone else's consciousness.

Lol That's not possible. You don't know everyone.

To say that because you don't know everything about a subject means you don't know anything: what fallacy is this?

You might as well tell Stephen Hawking that he doesn't know Cygnus X-1 contains a black hole because, well, he doesn't know the exact temperature of the black hole. Or its exact radius, or distance from the solar system. You might as well tell me that you don't know whether I'm right or wrong, because you don't know how tall I am.

You can meditate on the fact that others are conscious without knowing everything about them. (That is, unless you are the only one conscious, and in that case, your sadness might necessitate an assault on those who lacked consciousness -- a possibility I discuss in the thread titled, 'Refuting sadism.')

I'll revise my statement a little and say that I meditate on the possibility that everyone else is conscious, which is almost just as important.

I do suspect it's possible for everyone to be happy, provided that everything that causes sadness is eliminated (possibly even animal-to-animal cruelty!) and we finally win what we have struggled so long to achieve.

I do suspect this is fail.

Other than by justification through brute force, is there any reason why you suspect such a project would fail?

Scott H

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#354  Postby Ubjon » Jun 12, 2010 1:32 pm

I think its a bit more complicated than that. In the UK the government and therefore the tax payer (Well national insurance payer) foots most of the health care bills and so its in the governments interest to save money which does somewhat undermine the notion that it keeps unhealthy people alive to profit from treating them. I believe that the UK nurses organisation has altered its stance from anti-assisted suicide to being neutral on the issue.

My understanding is that there are concerns about whether a person is able to make the decision for themselves to die in that they have come to that decision of their own accord and fully understand it. Secondly that its not relatives trying to kill someone off to they can get that inheritence they've been waiting for.

Personally I feel that if someone is mentally stable enough to make that decision then they should be allowed to die on their own terms. Its redicilous that someone can't commit suicide peacefully and painfully in a comfortable environment when they can just throw themselves of a bridge or hang themselves in their bedroom. The outcome is the same but manner in which they die certainly differ. I suspect that if there is a proper councillilng procedure put in place to ensure that people are making the right decision that lives will be saved as there are many that commit suicide because they feel that there is no way out of their predicament.
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#355  Postby shh » Jun 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Scott H wrote:It has to do with your head. And your lack of empathy.

Neither of which has anything to do with the thread topic, it seems like internet-scary-guy talk to me.

To say that because you don't know everything about a subject means you don't know anything: what fallacy is this?

You might as well tell Stephen Hawking that he doesn't know Cygnus X-1 contains a black hole because, well, he doesn't know the exact temperature of the black hole. Or its exact radius, or distance from the solar system. You might as well tell me that you don't know whether I'm right or wrong, because you don't know how tall I am.

Lol, the fallacy of arguing against shit I never said?

You can meditate on the fact that others are conscious without knowing everything about them. (That is, unless you are the only one conscious, and in that case, your sadness might necessitate an assault on those who lacked consciousness -- a possibility I discuss in the thread titled, 'Refuting sadism.')

You can meditate on the center of the sun without even getting sunburnt. You're thinking about a sentence. You're not caring about every individual, nor even thinking about them, neither is possible. And what do you have as a result? You seem to think every human places or should place the same importance on everything as you do.
I'll revise my statement a little and say that I meditate on the possibility that everyone else is conscious, which is almost just as important.
No, it's exactly as important. :smoke:
Other than by justification through brute force, is there any reason why you suspect such a project would fail?

Lack of interest. But I hadn't thought far enough to think it would fail, only that it is fail.
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#356  Postby Gallstones » Jun 18, 2010 7:48 am

I read this on anther site.

You've sat through a movie and it started out bad and didn't get any better. There is no reason to think it's going to suddenly get enjoyable in the last few minutes so who would fault you for getting up and walking out early?
Gallstones

Print view this post

#357  Postby shh » Jun 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Time for a thread on suicide maybe?
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#358  Postby Sophie T » Jun 19, 2010 5:34 am

Gallstones wrote:I read this on anther site.

You've sat through a movie and it started out bad and didn't get any better. There is no reason to think it's going to suddenly get enjoyable in the last few minutes so who would fault you for getting up and walking out early?

I actually like this analogy, Gallstones. In asking what is "wrong" with it, I guess we'd need to know the details of the scenario. My first response would be to say there would be nothing at all wrong with that. However, suicide is different than merely leaving a theater because with suicide, we're leaving more than just the theater. We're also leaving the people who love us, and we're never going to return. I'm not saying this necessarily makes suicide wrong. I'm just pointing out that an analysis of the scenario would require more details to be filled in.

Even more importantly, though . . . I think there is the question of what does it mean for something to be "wrong?" Is there anything that we are willing to say is "wrong?" If so, what do we mean when we use the word "wrong" and how do we determine which things are "wrong" and which are not? I think the question in the case of suicide is this: Is it "wrong" to hurt someone else if in doing so we relieve our own suffering? But as Shh said in the previous post--perhaps this topic would be best suited to its own thread?
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
~ Excerpt from William Ernest Henley's Invictus
Sophie T

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Philosophy