Killing time

The reasons, the cure, why bother?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Killing time

#121  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 16, 2018 8:16 pm

My goal is knowledge acquisition but even with all of the free time in the world I am only going to
learn a fraction of everything that is known but it doesnt bother me because I just do what I can

Only nihilists and depressives have a lot of time to kill because they see no meaning at all to life
As long as you are neither of these you will find things to do that occupy your time meaningfully

The knack is to get in to a routine you like and keep yourself busy
Long as you can do that and most of us do then you have it sorted
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#122  Postby jamest » Feb 17, 2018 1:58 am

surreptitious57 wrote:My goal is knowledge acquisition

One of the reasons I stopped watching Mastermind was the ridiculousness of people who had spent years of their life researching the facts surrounding Disney etc., if you get my drift.

One cannot define one's goal as you have without first taking the time to comprehend the kind of knowledge which is significant. Otherwise, one is in danger of going to one's grave knowing fuck-all about anything, except the kind of carrots Bugs Bunny preferred.

If you don't understand this metaphor as a promotion for devoting your life to metaphysics, I'll understand. But you are at least one of the lucky ones since 99% of us, even in here, will never realise that they've devoted the totality of their lives pertaining to facts about a cartoon-rabbit, so to speak.

You are lucky to have known me, for few at this time have been offered an escape route. You have. If you choose to ignore it then don't cry at the exit gates.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Macdoc » Feb 17, 2018 2:32 am

It's all in your mind laddie....:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#124  Postby jamest » Feb 17, 2018 2:42 am

Macdoc wrote:It's all in your mind laddie....:coffee:

Where else would it be?
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#125  Postby jamest » Feb 17, 2018 2:49 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
jamest wrote:Most hobbies are trivial, but they will [generally] extend your lifespan. Simply because any instant whereby you are consuming time, as opposed to killing it, will gain you favour with time.

Aviators have an old saying, "Time spent flying (piloting an aircraft) is not deducted from your lifespan." I wonder if that's what you're on about.

Perhaps, though I don't need an aircraft to traverse the vast gulfs apparent within diverse mindsets. I cross from one side to the next, in an instant.

Compared with flying, most hobbies are along the lines of YMMV. My first flight instructor, when we met for early morning lessons before I had to head to the office to finance my flying hobby, used to say, "Flying is the second-best way to start your day."

Apart from philosophers, you won't find anyone more bored with life ON Earth than flyers. I'll grant you that.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 17, 2018 6:32 am

jamest wrote:Apart from philosophers, you won't find anyone more bored with life ON Earth than flyers. I'll grant you that.

I thought you said life was in your head jt?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#127  Postby Fallible » Feb 17, 2018 2:14 pm

jamest wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:My goal is knowledge acquisition

One of the reasons I stopped watching Mastermind was the ridiculousness of people who had spent years of their life researching the facts surrounding Disney etc., if you get my drift.

One cannot define one's goal as you have without first taking the time to comprehend the kind of knowledge which is significant. Otherwise, one is in danger of going to one's grave knowing fuck-all about anything, except the kind of carrots Bugs Bunny preferred.

If you don't understand this metaphor as a promotion for devoting your life to metaphysics, I'll understand. But you are at least one of the lucky ones since 99% of us, even in here, will never realise that they've devoted the totality of their lives pertaining to facts about a cartoon-rabbit, so to speak.

You are lucky to have known me, for few at this time have been offered an escape route. You have. If you choose to ignore it then don't cry at the exit gates.

:dielaughing:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#128  Postby Thommo » Feb 17, 2018 2:42 pm

jamest wrote:Perhaps, though I don't need an aircraft to traverse the vast gulfs apparent within diverse mindsets. I cross from one side to the next, in an instant.

If that's so, why are you consistently unable to accurately describe any of the philosophical positions contained in these mindsets, including your own?

There are certainly gulfs here, but I can't help wondering whether the real gulf is between the perception and reality of the quality of these bridges between mindsets.
Thommo

Print view this post

#129  Postby BWE » Feb 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Also, if your philosophy leaves you frustrated and unhappy, it seems a good argument for shopping around for a new philosophy.
BWE

Print view this post

#130  Postby jamest » Feb 18, 2018 1:28 am

It's not my philosophy that leaves me frustrated and unhappy. Talk bollocks about everything else, but at least get that fucking thing correct.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#131  Postby jamest » Feb 18, 2018 1:29 am

Thommo wrote:
jamest wrote:Perhaps, though I don't need an aircraft to traverse the vast gulfs apparent within diverse mindsets. I cross from one side to the next, in an instant.

If that's so, why are you consistently unable to accurately describe any of the philosophical positions contained in these mindsets, including your own?

There are certainly gulfs here, but I can't help wondering whether the real gulf is between the perception and reality of the quality of these bridges between mindsets.

Your ability to wonder has failed you thus far, so I wouldn't trust it any more.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#132  Postby jamest » Feb 18, 2018 1:45 am

Keep It Real wrote:
jamest wrote:Apart from philosophers, you won't find anyone more bored with life ON Earth than flyers. I'll grant you that.

I thought you said life was in your head jt?

Where did I say that the experience of flying happened outside of your 'head'?
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#133  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 18, 2018 2:36 am

jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Your ability to wonder has failed you thus far, so I wouldn't trust it any more.

He seems to wonder just fine.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#134  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 18, 2018 2:44 am

jamest wrote:It's not my philosophy that leaves me frustrated and unhappy. Talk bollocks about everything else, but at least get that fucking thing correct.

Well your philosophy clearly doesn't account for that which leaves your frustrated and unhappy.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Thommo » Feb 18, 2018 3:08 am

jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Way to avoid the question.

This complete inability to ever respond substantively is the exact cause of my suspicion. There is a reality that people display talent by exercising it, whether that's a talent for writing, reasoning, singing, dancing or anything else.

If you're really able to traverse vast gulfs between diverse mindsets, why not actually do it? Why stick to this banal, low grade back and forth?

Just imagine how boring these threads would get if everyone else behaved the same way, and justified almost every post by telling everyone else how clever and talented they were, or telling you how untalented and unclever you are every time you tell us you are. You're so reliant on other people's good behaviour, but you don't seem to realise it, which is a real shame.
Thommo

Print view this post

#136  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 18, 2018 3:32 am

james wrote:
One cannot define ones goal as you have without first taking the time to comprehend the kind of knowledge which
is significant. Otherwise one is in danger of going to ones grave knowing fuck all about anything except the kind of
carrots Bugs Bunny preferred

I make a distinction between knowledge and wisdom and so I think what you are referring to here is more the latter than the former. I think I have acquired some wisdom but am careful not to assume it is set in stone as I only hold it to be true for me
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#137  Postby jamest » Feb 20, 2018 2:14 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:

I don't know who the fuck your propaganda works upon other than your own ilk, but as far I'm concerned you can shove it up your arse. Which is merely a metaphor, of course, for stop talking bollocks. You have no idea what Thommo thinks, so spare me/us the fuckin' spiel.

Perhaps, one day, you'll realise that I'm not fucking daft. Who knows. Who fucking cares. Just know that I don't give an f either way.

Who would, in Puppetsville?

There's a point at which you don't always have to view this as a personal battle between individuals. Namely because I'm not like you. Try a fucking different approach, squire. Please.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#138  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 20, 2018 4:06 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:

I don't know who the fuck your propaganda works upon other than your own ilk, but as far I'm concerned you can shove it up your arse. Which is merely a metaphor, of course, for stop talking bollocks. You have no idea what Thommo thinks, so spare me/us the fuckin' spiel.

Says the guy who just claimed to know what Thommo thinks :lol:

Perhaps, one day, you'll realise that I'm not fucking daft. Who knows.

Perhaps one day, you'll say something that will make me realize you're not fucking daft. Who knows.

Who fucking cares. Just know that I don't give an f either way.

Seeing as you're the one who mentioned it in the first place, I've got a pretty good idea who 'gives an f'.

Who would, in Puppetsville?

There's a point at which you don't always have to view this as a personal battle between individuals. Namely because I'm not like you. Try a fucking different approach, squire. Please.

I don't view this as a personal battle, peasant. I don't know much about you, and you don't seem to know much about me. Maybe it's you who needs the different approach? I'd say after 20 years, it could at least be worth a try.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Thommo » Feb 20, 2018 5:34 am

jamest wrote:You have no idea what Thommo thinks, so spare me/us the fuckin' spiel.

Just for the record, as far as the thoughts I express on the forum go he seems to get it just fine almost all the time*. For example here, he was right and you were wrong, I wonder just fine.

*Allowing for the imperfections in my own writings.
Thommo

Print view this post

#140  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 20, 2018 8:10 am

Thommo wrote:If you're really able to traverse vast gulfs between diverse mindsets, why not actually do it? Why stick to this banal, low grade back and forth?

Thommo, observed diverse mindsets are not mindsets in themselves. If we are indeed actors on a stage – beggars, 'friends', thieves – then it matters naught that we understand such selfish belief sets; only that we observe that they are bereft of true value. Having said, that, we are all those mindsets, because we are God experiencing them. However, the bigger picture entails that God keep those mindsets separate, and so we cannot be friends except for talking shit to each other, as God, unified as One... minus the vast gulf, other than the observed one.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy