Electric car

is it in my future? Yours?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Electric car

#201  Postby The_Piper » Jan 22, 2018 6:13 pm

I saw a restaurant in Brewer with half a dozen "Tesla" things that look like charging stations. There are never any cars parked there. That's the closest charging station that I know of, it's about 100 miles away. I hope that changes soon. Not that I could afford to buy an electric car yet, but the sooner they're mainstream, the sooner I can buy a used one for a couple thousand. I'll have gray hair by then. I might even be a skeleton.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#202  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Well by 2030 all cars will have to be electric. I dont know how many will have cars. The snowdrops are not buying them. There is no second hand car market except in the rural areas. It is calculated that car ownership has peaked.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#203  Postby felltoearth » Jan 23, 2018 2:01 pm

IMG_3800.JPG
IMG_3800.JPG (147.24 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#204  Postby Alan B » Jan 24, 2018 10:50 am

aban57 wrote:And I rent an appartment, so how am I supposed to do ?

With multiple storey accommodation the problem could be insurmountable: 120 flats in a tower block could require 120 minimum designated parking spaces, either underground or surrounding the property, each with access to a charging point with either card payment or designated to a particular flat’s electricity supply. Each flat will also have to cater for multiple vehicle ownership per family. If not, then there would be a premium rate for flats with those facilities. If a flat has no charging facilities, and the resident becomes a car owner, would they then have to move to the appropriate accommodation?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#205  Postby Macdoc » Jan 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Take it all a step forward ....

Here you go

The World’s First Production-Ready Flying Car Is Finally Here

AeroMobil is set to unveil their flying car at the Top Marques car show in Monaco on April 20.
By becoming the first commercially available flying vehicle to date, we can expect the two-seater car/plane hybrid to change the way we travel forever.
AEROMOBIL

SciFi visions of the future are usually defined by key technologies: lasers, time travel, and — more often than not — flying cars. Now, AeroMobil is finally bringing fiction to reality following the announcement of the world’s first flying car.

The vehicle, a two-seater powered by hybrid propulsion, combines aero and car functionality seamlessly and will become the first commercially available flying car. Granted, the vehicle isn’t specifically designed to just be airborne, but that’s precisely what gives it better functionality. It affords users the option to drive on land or pilot the vehicle in the air.

and it's hybrid ;)

https://press.aeromobil.com/world-premiere-aeromobil-will-announce-its-next-generation-flying-car-at-top-marques-monaco-2017
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#206  Postby Alan B » Jan 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Hybrid, eh? "Hybrid propulsion", eh? Fancy words. It uses an internal combustion engine to generate electricity to charge the batteries.

And when the fossil fuels run out it will be left in the garage rotting away...

Unless it can be converted to 'all-electric'. :whistle:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#207  Postby Macdoc » Jan 24, 2018 9:31 pm

A) fossil fuels will not run out anytime soon.....they will simply be uneconomical on a large scale.

b) easy to convert to hydrogen or pure EV and hell you can distill fuel from rotting apples :D

Weight performance of electric aircraft motors are astonishing.

Siemens 260 kW electric aircraft motor makes first public flight
Posted July 13, 2016 by Charles Morris & filed under Newswire, The Tech.

Siemens 260 kW electric aircraft
Siemens researchers have developed a new type of electric motor that delivers a continuous output of about 260 kW and weighs 50 kg. The new drive system, designed for a joint project of Siemens and Airbus to develop electrified aircraft, recently made its maiden flight in an Extra 330LE aerobatic airplane.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/siemens ... ic-flight/

Lots of very cool tech emerging....

The neat thing about a hybrid aircraft is it uses stored power for takeoff....once a plane is in the air it does not take very much to keep it airborne.....often the harder trick with modern sailplanes is to get them to STOP flying - the airbrakes are huge.
This does not have the wingspan of a modern sailplane but I suspect add on 3m winglet on each side could get it there.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#208  Postby The_Piper » Jan 25, 2018 6:44 am

Macdoc wrote:

b) easy to convert to hydrogen or pure EV and hell you can distill fuel from rotting apples :D

-snip-

My squirrel buddy has been doing that too. :mrgreen:
eta (maybe he's becoming an alcoholic from the rotten apples, he eats them almost every day.)
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#209  Postby zulumoose » Jan 25, 2018 7:05 am

Hybrid, eh? "Hybrid propulsion", eh? Fancy words. It uses an internal combustion engine to generate electricity to charge the batteries.

Benefit of Hybrid is that you can start with a battery charge, and top up with a small engine that can be sized and tuned to optimal efficiency. Since the motor is electric and can deal with peak demands the I/C engine can be tiny enough to deal with average or even well below average demands, and can run at one speed and load, with the single goal of being optimally efficient at that point. No compromises in the I/C engine required and if battery is enough for your daily commute, you may rarely burn fuel at all.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#210  Postby Animavore » Jan 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Apparently Formula E racing is a thing.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#211  Postby zulumoose » Jan 30, 2018 1:28 pm

There will come a day when formula E is the only thing, and it may not be far off.
As per my post just above, if hybrid is the future of combustible fuel vehicles, their performance will be determined by the electric motors, not the combustion, which only has to meet average top-up demand and does not contribute to speed or acceleration. There will be no such thing as exciting internal combustion performance except perhaps for niche military or emergency vehicles while liquid fuel still holds a (now dwindling) range and power/mass advantage.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#212  Postby Macdoc » Jan 30, 2018 7:48 pm

The Isle of Man has a full EV motorcycle race that is now challenging the ICE for speed. The fastest production motorcycle is an EV and the Pike's Peak climb is owned by EV.

Amnivore .....it's in it's fourth season....do keep up ;)

Weird without the wail. :what:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#213  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 31, 2018 11:32 am

Why do they need drivers in the cars? They do need sound effects and maybe smell machines.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#214  Postby truelgbt » Sep 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Mitsubishi makes a decent all-electric car. All electric cars can be charged using a solar setup in case gasoline becomes unavailable. most e-cars have a range of at least 50 miles which is plenty for around town and short commutes. Just don't get a Smart car - terrible reliability although the parent company is mercedes benz.
truelgbt

Name: trev

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#215  Postby Macdoc » Nov 02, 2018 8:27 pm

astonishing

China is the largest market for electric vehicles, and most forecasters predict that electric vehicle sales in the country will accelerate rapidly as government regulation drives toward a goal of 100-percent electric vehicles by 2030.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesl ... N71CB?il=0
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#216  Postby laklak » Nov 03, 2018 1:48 am

With a billion and a half Chinese they're probably the largest market for everything. Or will be soon.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#217  Postby Macdoc » Jan 15, 2019 3:43 am

Wow ....

A Reuters analysis of 29 global automakers found that they are investing at least

$300 billion

in electric vehicles, with more than 45 percent of that earmarked for China.

https://graphics.reuters.com/AUTOS-INVE ... index.html

Wild times in the auto industry...

Volkswagen to invest $800 million, build new electric vehicle in U.S.
David Shepardson

DETROIT (Reuters) - Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) said on Monday it was investing $800 million to build a new electric vehicle at its plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and scheduled a briefing with Ford Motor Co (F.N) for Tuesday on their efforts to forge a global alliance.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-auto ... SKCN1P81R1

Now if they could just get momentum in the solar industry as well instead of fighting it tooth and nail... :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#218  Postby Alan B » Jan 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Autocar
Broken EV charging points in London finally set to be fixed

The Telegraph
Electric car drivers face queues and quarrels

The Independent
UK needs six-fold increase in electric vehicle charging points by 2020, finds report

How do you prevent vandalism of unattended charging points? It will be too easy with rubber gloves and wire cutters.
:scratch:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#219  Postby Macdoc » Jan 15, 2019 4:24 pm

It's no different than any other vandalism ...why pick out charging points? not much fun innit. Given your 1984 surveillance camera's not a lot of reward for the risk.

Fights and quarrels over fuel is nothing new - you are old enough to recall the 70s and every home can charge an EV vehicle.
and
AA's Electric Vehicle Mobile Charging Unit First in Europe - AA Blog
https://www.theaa.ie/blog/aas-electric- ... st-europe/
Jul 13, 2018 - AA Rescue has today unveiled a new mobile charging unit for electric vehicles, with the AA highlighting that it expects the number of electric ..

Of course there will ber transition hiccups ....for instance while you can charge your EV in Manhattan you can't buy gas for your ICE vehicle. :roll:

UK seems behind the curve in some technologies emerging more rapidly elsewhere but then they can learn from other city's efforts
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#220  Postby Macdoc » Jan 17, 2019 2:43 am

A battle brewing at the Detroit Auto Show is electric versus horsepower
PUBLISHED JANUARY 15, 2019
UPDATED 11 HOURS AGO

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/a ... ersus-2-2/
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology