Can someone with QM knowledge debunk this guy?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Can someone with QM knowledge debunk this guy?

#101  Postby Destroyer » Mar 09, 2020 10:17 pm

Nevets wrote:It seems that people here do not know what Quantum Mechanics is

Scientific inquiry into the wave nature of light began in the 17th and 18th centuries, when scientists such as Robert Hooke, Christiaan Huygens and Leonhard Euler proposed a wave theory of light based on experimental observations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics#History

They are searching for how light particles may be able to form matter

Perhaps this is actually where the person in the youtube video could also be misconceived.

He probably also believes that Quantum Mechanics is debunking physical matter in favour of a computer simulation.

But while Quantum mechanics may hold this theory, it seeks mostly to try and understand how physical matter can be formed

It is possible that I can save you a bit of time here, Nevets. Quantum Mechanics is the actual science of how energy behaves at its most fundamental level. This is not what you are speaking about - and that is why your interlocutors here will continue to run rings around you. These guys are very well informed... What you are speaking about is the logical inferences that follows from Quantum Mechanics in relation to the behaviour of mass. Therefore the Theory of Quantum Mechanics is a very well established science, whereas there are now various theories - none of them established - concerned with the logical implications of the science.

You will be made to look a fool if you do not clearly define your terms, with this community.
Destroyer

Name: Patrick Mills
Male

Print view this post

#102  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 09, 2020 10:41 pm

You will be made to look a fool if you do not clearly define your terms, with this community.

On the positive side, if you do learn how to do that, it will stand you in good stead for the remainder of your life.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#103  Postby Destroyer » Mar 09, 2020 10:46 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

On the positive side, if you do learn how to do that, it will stand you in good stead for the remainder of your life.

Indeed.
Destroyer

Name: Patrick Mills
Male

Print view this post

#104  Postby laklak » Mar 10, 2020 2:44 am

campermon wrote:
That's great advice laklak.

Perhaps we should write it down into a book for future generations of atheists or sumfink :ask:

Vote for me for Atheist Pope and I'll make you a Cardinal. We'll fucking run this place.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Hermit » Mar 10, 2020 4:20 am

Nevets wrote:
Hermit wrote:Stop digging already nevets. Read the bolded and underlined text again. Pay particular attention to the two words "make matter". QM is not, cannot be concerned with making matter. That is not even within the purview of science. Leave abiogenesis to theology and metaphysics.

Ok, seen as you have no understanding of Quantum Mechanics, let me take you back to the introduction, let there be light

Light behaves in some aspects like particles and in other aspects like waves. Matter—the "stuff" of the universe consisting of particles such as electrons and atoms—exhibits wavelike behavior too. Some light sources, such as neon lights, give off only certain specific frequencies of light, a small set of distinct pure colors determined by neon's atomic structure. Quantum mechanics shows that light, along with all other forms of electromagnetic radiation, comes in discrete units, called photons, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduct ... _mechanics

Let's have a look at that: "Light behaves in some aspects like particles and in other aspects like waves." Yes.
"Matter—the "stuff" of the universe consisting of particles such as electrons and atoms—exhibits wavelike behavior too." Fair enough.
"Some light sources, such as neon lights, give off only certain specific frequencies of light, a small set of distinct pure colors determined by neon's atomic structure." OK.
"Quantum mechanics shows that light, along with all other forms of electromagnetic radiation, comes in discrete units, called photons" Agreed.

Missing: "Light photons interacting with something else, in order to create a bang and make matter"

Again: Stop injecting meanings into statements that are exclusively of your own creation.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#106  Postby Hermit » Mar 10, 2020 4:32 am

Nevets wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Nevets wrote:
In physics, a quantum (plural quanta) is the minimum amount of any physical entity (physical property) involved in an interaction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum

This theory is trying to describe what might have caused the big bang, such as Light photons interacting with something else, in order to create a bang and make matter

There is nothing at all whatsoever in the bit you quote that says anything at all that could possibly be described as "Light photons interacting with something else, in order to create a bang and make matter". By attempting to squeeze this interpretation out of the bit you quoted you are making an utter fool of yourself. Stop injecting meanings into statements that are exclusively of your own creation.

Light photons are something QM are researching

Light behaves in some aspects like particles and in other aspects like waves. Matter—the "stuff" of the universe consisting of particles such as electrons and atoms—exhibits wavelike behavior too. Some light sources, such as neon lights, give off only certain specific frequencies of light, a small set of distinct pure colors determined by neon's atomic structure. Quantum mechanics shows that light, along with all other forms of electromagnetic radiation, comes in discrete units, called photons, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduct ... _mechanics

You have still not demonstrated how any of this leads to your assertion that "Light photons interacting with something else, in order to create a bang and make matter"

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#107  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 10, 2020 5:05 am

Hermit wrote:
You have still not demonstrated how any of this leads to your assertion that "Light photons interacting with something else, in order to create a bang and make matter"

But, but, but Hermit...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light

Light or visible light is electromagnetic radiation within the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that can be perceived by the human eye.

Don't you see?

Look!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature

Nature, in the broadest sense, is the natural, physical, or material world or universe.

How can you seriously argue with that?

And if you are still not convinced...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerbil

A gerbil is a small mammal of the subfamily Gerbillinae in the order Rodentia.

I rest my case.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#108  Postby Hermit » Mar 10, 2020 6:20 am

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Debunking