The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#4101  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Dec 04, 2021 7:17 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Macdoc wrote:Hammer comes down in Germany

All that's left is to wonder what took them so long. Those who understand the German federal / Länder system may take a shot at explaining why it took them so long.

It’s a mixture of „leadership phobia“ and „fascism blindness“.
The lefty politicians are kind of uncomfortable with strong leadership, the conservatives would like to have the votes of the right wingers and both are blind to fascists who don’t look like it. (and those are the ones driving the anti-vax & anti-countermeasure movement)
Plus Bavaria practically has a one party system which breeds incompetence in one of the most powerful Länder.

Health and Education is the responsibility of the 16 Länder, but the pandemic calls for action from the central government.
So what you got is 17 parties who are busy shoving the responsibility around until the situation is so bad that drastic measures are unavoidable.
Then they aways only take the measures that would have helped at the start of any debate, so too little too late,
and debate again for a week to re-adjust to the situation (of one week ago).
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#4102  Postby hackenslash » Dec 04, 2021 11:42 am

Really excellent and measured analysis of the early omicron data in the first segment of this broadcast.

hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#4103  Postby The_Piper » Dec 04, 2021 3:22 pm

"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4104  Postby felltoearth » Dec 06, 2021 3:58 am

Lol, a bunch of Anti-Vaxxers tried to organize a boycott of a pro-vax Canadian ice cream company. It hasn't gone well.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2021/1 ... t-failure/

A boycott of Chapman's Ice Cream totally backfired on anti-vaxxers and the company is now feeling the love from all across Canada.

In November, Chapman's, an Ontario ice cream company based in Markdale, announced they'd be giving a $1 raise to all employees who were fully vaccinated and asked all unvaccinated employees to take a rapid test, on the company dime.

The $1 raise was meant to balance out the costs of doing the rapid tests. In response, a small group of people decided to start a boycott.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4105  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Dec 06, 2021 7:21 am

felltoearth wrote:Lol, a bunch of Anti-Vaxxers tried to organize a boycott of a pro-vax Canadian ice cream company. It hasn't gone well.
arm chair heroes,
boycotting an ice cream company in winter is easy. :roll:

here’s some Omicron news
https://www.samrc.ac.za/news/tshwane-di ... y-features
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#4106  Postby Macdoc » Dec 10, 2021 6:20 pm

excellent science ...hope it actually works

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2021/1 ... ancer.html
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4107  Postby felltoearth » Dec 11, 2021 5:32 am

Paywalled

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4108  Postby The_Piper » Dec 11, 2021 6:48 pm

Maine had over 2000 new cases reported yesterday, though I don't know if that number was artificially inflated due to delayed reporting in some instances. As time goes on, people are becoming more ignorant, apparently. Hospitals in northern Maine being stretched thin, having to get extra beds donated from other agencies. I believe that was the most cases in one day for the whole pandemic, and more people are hospitalized now than at any other point. People still largely acting like there's no pandemic. I haven't been out in public for days.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4109  Postby Macdoc » Dec 12, 2021 8:46 am

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-co ... oming.html

snip
But I’m pretty certain that everybody in the next six to 12 weeks will be infected with Omicron, unless they’re living the life of a hermit. That’s just the reality.”
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4110  Postby Alan C » Dec 12, 2021 8:52 pm

We were able to visit the local movie theatre on Saturday to catch Eternals before it finished. Staff were onto it and asked to scan our passports [SO initially had trouble, new phone so pass not yet loaded into wallet]. Not very busy so no problem with people numbers inside. Hopefully the local tinhat fuckwit brigade don't cause us to revert to a higher level because it's a fairly busy movie month it seems, would like to catch Spiderman and the Matrix [missed Dune I think].

The new tory opposition leader is off to a flying start; owned in Parliament Q&A and drivelling on about how we should be immediately down to a less strict level so we can be more open. True to pattern he cares more about the entitled rich pricks than the plebs. He's another one off the assembly line of rich, white men [the party here slightly more diverse than the GOP] only he's something of a funny christian; voted against abortion and in support of those that want to harass women for it and he's the third dodgy fucker that his dumbfuck of an electorate voted for since it was established.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4111  Postby Macdoc » Dec 13, 2021 10:57 pm

Insane acceleration

Why omicron is overtaking delta — and what that means for our fight against COVID-19

Ontario figures suggest new variant has doubling time of just 3 days

Lauren Pelley · CBC News · Posted: Dec 13, 2021 11:53 AM ET | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/why-omic ... -1.6283611

And Ontario is reasonably covered with double vax and some triple.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4112  Postby Macdoc » Dec 14, 2021 9:49 am

Insane acceleration

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/2021/12/13/two-shots-may-not-be-enough-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-booking-a-booster-as-omicron-surges-in-ontario.html[/URL]
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4113  Postby Tortured_Genius » Dec 14, 2021 12:58 pm

Just got back from my local shopping centre where some rabid conspiracy anti-vaxxer(s) have put up dozens of stickers all over the place (outside and inside shops) denouncing Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Putin, WTO, WHO, Uncle Tom Cobbly and all presumably controlled by the Illuminati.

Thinking about it, it should be unsurprising that large numbers of people are falling for what are essentially cults based around unfounded beliefs. Every school morning for nearly 2 decades I was forced to sing praises to an imaginary sky daddy and his telepath zombie son with absolutely no evidence. I wasn't buying it whereas most did, or at least paid it lip service since it made for an easier life (I did indeed get shit for no-belief). The conspiracy cultists even have an advantage in that Bill Gates, Putin, etc all demonstrably exist.

Unfortunately dissuading the deluded (and there are several in my own family) and getting them to have the bloody vaccine is at the same level of difficulty as deprogramming a cultist or religious zealot
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4114  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 14, 2021 2:32 pm

If only their denial of reality had consequences that affected only them, I'd happily wave them on.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4115  Postby hackenslash » Dec 14, 2021 2:54 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:Just got back from my local shopping centre where some rabid conspiracy anti-vaxxer(s) have put up dozens of stickers all over the place (outside and inside shops) denouncing Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Putin, WTO, WHO, Uncle Tom Cobbly and all presumably controlled by the Illuminati.

Thinking about it, it should be unsurprising that large numbers of people are falling for what are essentially cults based around unfounded beliefs. Every school morning for nearly 2 decades I was forced to sing praises to an imaginary sky daddy and his telepath zombie son with absolutely no evidence. I wasn't buying it whereas most did, or at least paid it lip service since it made for an easier life (I did indeed get shit for no-belief). The conspiracy cultists even have an advantage in that Bill Gates, Putin, etc all demonstrably exist.

Unfortunately dissuading the deluded (and there are several in my own family) and getting them to have the bloody vaccine is at the same level of difficulty as deprogramming a cultist or religious zealot

From one of my recent outings on antivaxxers...

Do you ever wonder how religions begin?

In a recent offering, we began to look at how propaganda rabbit-holes work. The current situation is providing a road map of the process not seen since convicted huckster Joseph Smith and his famously unseen golden tablets, and not seen so obviously to all at any point in the past. There are many manifestations of this around at the moment, but the big one is one that's been with us for a very long time; antivaxxers.

We're well beyond people merely shouting. Those of us who've been engaged in debunking junk science for any non-trivial amount of time have known that antivaxxers have been responsible for deaths for a long time, and have been saying so but, until now, we couldn't even get close to putting numbers on it. At present, they're racking up a kill count that would shade a small dictatorship.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#4116  Postby minininja » Dec 14, 2021 5:44 pm

This is an evidence session from earlier today to the UK's All-Party Parliamentary Group on Coronavirus, with a first panel of experts looking at data about omicron and vaccines and how it relates to current government policy and messaging, and a second panel in the medical profession looking at how the NHS is set to face the oncoming crisis. It's well worth a watch to get an in-depth and up-to-date picture of where we're really at, but TL;DR it's not good. The NHS has already had its resources stretched way too thin and the current measures from government are going to be too little too late to stop omicron making things significantly worse.

[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4117  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 16, 2021 3:32 pm

Spearthrower wrote:99 year old Grandad took a tumble and had to spend 2 nights in hospital where he caught covid.... ffs.

And sadly didn't make it. Funeral tomorrow. He was truly a great guy. Worked hard all his life, knew nothing else, and was absurdly fit until a year ago.

My partner's 105 year old grandmother also died a few days after.

Massive disparity there as she was buried the next day due to Thai Muslim beliefs, while my grandad's funeral is 17 days after his death!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4118  Postby fluttermoth » Dec 16, 2021 8:36 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:99 year old Grandad took a tumble and had to spend 2 nights in hospital where he caught covid.... ffs.

And sadly didn't make it. Funeral tomorrow. He was truly a great guy. Worked hard all his life, knew nothing else, and was absurdly fit until a year ago.

Massive disparity there as she was buried the next day due to Thai Muslim beliefs, while my grandad's funeral is 17 days after his death!

I'm so sorry to hear that, condolences to his friends and family x
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4119  Postby hackenslash » Dec 16, 2021 9:32 pm

Damn, that sucks. Sorry. dude.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#4120  Postby The_Piper » Dec 17, 2021 1:44 am

Spearthrower wrote:

:hugs: Sorry to hear, Spearthrower, that's terrible.
My (86 year old) dad took a fall last night and is in the hospital in Illinois. He'll be in for at least tonight. There are no beds for him so he has to stay in the ER. :ill:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs