Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere. Yes or No ?

Yes
17%
No
72%
Yes But...Add your reason
6%
No But...Add your reason
6%

Total votes : 181

Re: Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere

#2861  Postby lucek » Dec 07, 2011 4:58 am

nealadams wrote:
New postby Just A Theory » Dec 06, 2011 6:22 pm

nealadams wrote:
(sigh) Gentlemen (and ladies) Subduction is a GRAVITY-driven process. NOT that the subducting plate is HEAVIER than the asthenosphere,....WHICH is WHERE IT COMES FROMMMMMmmm, ,..at all but, it is more SOLID,.. than the DUCTILE asthenosphere. STIFFER,.... So the DOWNHILL slide FROM THE RIFT''S,.. force, added to the stiffness,..DRIVES the subducting plate into an asthenosphere that purchase was made into 60 MYA as the Australian plate drove upward shattering the Indonesian plate above it.
Best Regards
Neal Adams

Subduction is absolutely not driven by gravity. The driving force is convective currents generated by the heat of the Earth's core.

(sigh) Let us review CONVECTION in a simple lab experiment.
Water is put in a glass beaker or a Pan, and the pan/beaker on a fire.
Let's clarify: Between the core and crust is first the MANTLE,.. then the upper portion of the MANTLE , we call the asthenosphere, which, we are told is LESS DENSE than the Mantle and DUCTILE (from the rising of,...Not 'heat" Because as we know, heat does not "RISE" but molecules. HEATED, RISE. So GASES RISE, making the Asthenosphere DUCTILE.
Up higher these super heated gasses collect under the crust. Scientists tell us that only 4% of the Asthenosphere is LIQUID, and MOST of that is under the rifts,...because the RIFTS are HIGHER than the rest of the ocean floor! (Thinner, younger and pushed up by the super-heated gases.)

Back to our lab experiment. The "FLAME" heats the water, the molecules rush around and RISE to the TOP of the water. Some fly off as steam,..others cool and therefor drop down in a process we call 'convection' to heat up and rise again.
Now we will replace the Beaker or Pot with a PRESSURE COOKER, with a sealed LID. The lid holds the HEATED molecules IN,.. and they do NOT go down,.. they collect at the TOP,.. which is the HOTTEST area. ) Unless we turn the flame up.
On PRESSURE COOKERS there is a relief valve that lets super hot gases out,....not unlike RIFTS!
This is what Earth is, for want of a better, more elitist phrase, a Pressure Cooker! There is NO Bunsen burner under the asthenosphere, which is, in fact cooler. The Super-Heated Gases rise from the Core, through the mantle,(Because that is the only way to go....UP) and through the asthenosphere and into the liquid. molten Basalt collected under the RIFTS,...and there it stays.
This is the Physics of it, and this is how convection works,...and doesn't work.
There are NO convectine currents moving continental plates around, according to Physics FACT!

GRAVITY always works to bring things down,.. no matter how shallow the slant,.. and the GREATEST PRESSURE is at the bottom-most thinest area. Mostly it makes troughs. At the Ring of Fire, because of Australia, it subducts.
Best Regards
Neal Adams

There is so much wrong there.

For most is the fact that a material that is heated does tent to rise. Not gasses, but any material heated will increase in volume and decrease in density. OK now that you're misconception of basic convection, that most people learned the actual mechanism in 6th grade if not before, is corrected want to try that again?

Then again you still apparently think that a solid will spontaneously sink into a fluid that is denser then it.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2862  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 07, 2011 5:09 am

sathearn wrote:
I agree with Weaver's statements which precede and follow Florian's. However, Florian's questions are highly apropos of some statements that have been made on this forum (though I don't recall authorship offhand) to the effect that expanding Earth proponents must now "put up or shut up" in the wake of this study, and to others which express an uncritical attitude toward the calculated error margins. These questions are highly relevant to the question of the study's validity.

Let me slightly amend that: "expanding Earth proponents should now "put up or shut up" in the wake of this study" - there is no 'must' - people are entirely free to be stupidly wrong and to publicise it.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2863  Postby lucek » Dec 07, 2011 5:20 am

sathearn wrote:
Weaver wrote:
Florian wrote:

Did you read Wu's paper carefully?
What stations did they use to make the measurement? all? a subset? what guided their choice? Is their choice adapted to measure a growth? What kind of growth do they expect? homogenous? heterogenous? by bulging? Why? Was vertical displacements separated from horizontal displacements in the data treatment? Why? What model was used to model horizontal displacement? Why? Is the methodology appropriate to measure a growth?
These are the questions you should answer before jumping to conclusions.

What conclusions do you think I've jumped to? Wu et al were the ones who did the work - the measurements and error bars were theirs, not mine.

I agree with Weaver's statements which precede and follow Florian's. However, Florian's questions are highly apropos of some statements that have been made on this forum (though I don't recall authorship offhand) to the effect that expanding Earth proponents must now "put up or shut up" in the wake of this study, and to others which express an uncritical attitude toward the calculated error margins. These questions are highly relevant to the question of the study's validity.

You may want to review that. We had special pleading from the proponents that an error bar could meant that there is expansion.

But here's the thing. if we grant you the 0.1MM/years you still have problems. If the earth radius is increasing by .1 MM/year then the circumfrance is increaseing by ~1/3MM/year. However we observe continents moving faster then that by an order of magnitude. So basically if that's the case then subduction is the dominant mover of plates. And again if that's the case then the pretty lines Maxlow and Adams draw are completely wrong.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2864  Postby Just A Theory » Dec 07, 2011 9:21 am

nealadams wrote:
(sigh) Let us review CONVECTION in a simple lab experiment.
Water is put in a glass beaker or a Pan, and the pan/beaker on a fire.
Let's clarify: Between the core and crust is first the MANTLE,.. then the upper portion of the MANTLE , we call the asthenosphere, which, we are told is LESS DENSE than the Mantle and DUCTILE (from the rising of,...Not 'heat" Because as we know, heat does not "RISE" but molecules. HEATED, RISE. So GASES RISE, making the Asthenosphere DUCTILE.
Up higher these super heated gasses collect under the crust. Scientists tell us that only 4% of the Asthenosphere is LIQUID, and MOST of that is under the rifts,...because the RIFTS are HIGHER than the rest of the ocean floor! (Thinner, younger and pushed up by the super-heated gases.)

Back to our lab experiment. The "FLAME" heats the water, the molecules rush around and RISE to the TOP of the water. Some fly off as steam,..others cool and therefor drop down in a process we call 'convection' to heat up and rise again.
Now we will replace the Beaker or Pot with a PRESSURE COOKER, with a sealed LID. The lid holds the HEATED molecules IN,.. and they do NOT go down,.. they collect at the TOP,.. which is the HOTTEST area. ) Unless we turn the flame up.
On PRESSURE COOKERS there is a relief valve that lets super hot gases out,....not unlike RIFTS!
This is what Earth is, for want of a better, more elitist phrase, a Pressure Cooker! There is NO Bunsen burner under the asthenosphere, which is, in fact cooler. The Super-Heated Gases rise from the Core, through the mantle,(Because that is the only way to go....UP) and through the asthenosphere and into the liquid. molten Basalt collected under the RIFTS,...and there it stays.
This is the Physics of it, and this is how convection works,...and doesn't work.
There are NO convectine currents moving continental plates around, according to Physics FACT!

GRAVITY always works to bring things down,.. no matter how shallow the slant,.. and the GREATEST PRESSURE is at the bottom-most thinest area. Mostly it makes troughs. At the Ring of Fire, because of Australia, it subducts.
Best Regards
Neal Adams

I'm not sure what precisely leads you to believe that convective currents do not form in a pressure cooker but let me assure you that if you put sufficient liquid inside one then you would observe convection. Additionally, the steam vents at the top of the cooker because the applied heat is sufficient to force part of the liquid inside the cooker into the gaseous phase. The corresponding applied heat (at the Earth's core) forces very very little of the aesthenosphere into the gaseous phase.

The situations are somewhat similar but you have completely misunderstood the effects that are occurring.
"He who begins by loving Christianity more than Truth, will proceed by loving his sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all."

Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772-1834
Just A Theory

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2865  Postby ginckgo » Dec 07, 2011 9:51 am

Just A Theory wrote:...you have completely misunderstood the effects that are occurring.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHVjs4aobqs[/youtube]
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2866  Postby nealadams » Dec 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Gents,
The good things about "good" science, properly applied always works. "CONVECTION" always works, and no amount of barking or nay-saying or fudging changes that.

Wu's study and results as you all discuss has all the Earmarks of POOR SCIENCE! Using known and studied science with "NEW" results. Simple conclusion with NO details of changing details,..Uplift, decent. Rising Mountains in major areas of the world, The North pole, virtually UNRECORDABLE, Antarctica, WORSE! Recording devices around only the coast, The oceanic crust TWO THIRDS of the Earth!. ( MOST of Africa, South America, and Asia. )

Best Regards
Neal Adams

On one breath Science tells us so much of the world is unexplored. In the second breath they say they can calculate the Radius of Earth AND all the other methodologies that have given their CONCLUSIVE RESULTS are WRONG,,...and NOW, they are right. AND tomorrow?

35 years of Geology's studies and personal private careful calculated removal of subducted surface of the last 60 Million Years with reference to the Geological communities calculated crustal spread figures will give a reasonably intelligent person the current Radius increase on average of the whole Earth, today. THIS is dependable information, based on DECADES of work, by hundreds of Professional Geologists with real progressive supportable and double and triple checked results.
PERFECT?
Nothing's perfect.
Compared to Wu?
Much, much, much better.
nealadams

Name: Neal Adams

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2868  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Neal - you're bullshitting. You've crossed that point where your bullshitting is not even consistent with itself anymore.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2871  Postby lucek » Dec 07, 2011 2:53 pm

nealadams wrote:Gents,
The good things about "good" science, properly applied always works. "CONVECTION" always works, and no amount of barking or nay-saying or fudging changes that.

First off there are ladies, or at least women present.

Next you are absolutely right. Convection works. I don't see why you bring this up because you're the one it doesn't and is "barking", "nay-saying", and "fudging" the fact it does work.

Wu's study and results as you all discuss has all the Earmarks of POOR SCIENCE! Using known and studied science with "NEW" results. Simple conclusion with NO details of changing details,..Uplift, decent. Rising Mountains in major areas of the world, The North pole, virtually UNRECORDABLE, Antarctica, WORSE! Recording devices around only the coast, The oceanic crust TWO THIRDS of the Earth!. ( MOST of Africa, South America, and Asia. )

Best Regards
Neal Adams

On what criteria do you judge application of current techneeks with new more accurate data,"poor science". Oh sorry, "POOR SCIENCE". It's just special pleading and cherry picking.
On one breath Science tells us so much of the world is unexplored. In the second breath they say they can calculate the Radius of Earth AND all the other methodologies that have given their CONCLUSIVE RESULTS are WRONG,,...and NOW, they are right. AND tomorrow?

Ah the old "I don't know, You don't know, So I'm right." No Neal every scientific observation bares forth new question, but the scope is always smaller. To that end we can measure the entire earth without knowing everything that we are looking at. If we take the stance you just proposed we'd need perfect knowledge to know anything.
35 years of Geology's studies and personal private careful calculated removal of subducted surface of the last 60 Million Years with reference to the Geological communities calculated crustal spread figures will give a reasonably intelligent person the current Radius increase on average of the whole Earth, today. THIS is dependable information, based on DECADES of work, by hundreds of Professional Geologists with real progressive supportable and double and triple checked results.
PERFECT?
Nothing's perfect.
Compared to Wu?
Much, much, much better.

Neal the more I interact with you the more I have a feeling you started this in 2000 and just say the 30(35 years amazing how that changed as soon as I asked)of research. However I can't prove that. But what I can prove is you have shown a scientific understanding that would result in a d in any high school science class. Fourth I can prove you've claimed that this is because the you claim science classes are designed to indoctrinated people with the myth of PT and not to teach them about the truth,
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2872  Postby nealadams » Dec 08, 2011 1:52 am

Thwoth . The continental plates move in nearly STRAIGHT LINES, back to their origin point on the EarlIER Earth. On a GLOBE it's easier to see and follow (Visually) the direction of the Isochrons, the going outward backward in time crack separation in the oceanic floor, Fans and such that show and define direction. These are like sidewalk pavement squares that get bigger as they go out from their origin point. and show the spread of the Oceans.
So, there is NO WINDING per se,..THOUGH some feel there is a bit of a spiraling and twisting. I think it's merely Rifts opening in other direction from previous rifts. It's like a story book, or tracks in the woods. One just follows them backward.
For Animation I use Cinema 4-D and Maya and several warp programs. to track the North and South Poles and stretched and angled tags.

Gents and Ladies
I'm here to discuss Science and the Growing Earth-Growing Universe.

I held forth on the very, very simple process of CONVECTION! What could be simpler. When I read the responses I was forced to realize Everyone here had no such agenda as I. When simple convection cant be presented factually without this sort of uncivilized unscientific uproar, It is clear that my visit is done. I can't say it's been pleasant, it has not,.. and so I bid you a fond FONDUE.
I'll be taking my light with me. It's the only one on.
Best Regards
Neal Adams.

Anytime someone wants to have a civilized pleasant Scientific discussion, I am the easiest person to find on the internet.
nealadams

Name: Neal Adams

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2873  Postby ginckgo » Dec 08, 2011 2:06 am

nealadams wrote:Thwoth . The continental plates move in nearly STRAIGHT LINES, back to their origin point on the EarlIER Earth. On a GLOBE it's easier to see and follow (Visually) the direction of the Isochrons, the going outward backward in time crack separation in the oceanic floor, Fans and such that show and define direction. These are like sidewalk pavement squares that get bigger as they go out from their origin point. and show the spread of the Oceans.
So, there is NO WINDING per se,..THOUGH some feel there is a bit of a spiraling and twisting. I think it's merely Rifts opening in other direction from previous rifts. It's like a story book, or tracks in the woods. One just follows them backward.
For Animation I use Cinema 4-D and Maya and several warp programs. to track the North and South Poles and stretched and angled tags.

Gents and Ladies

I held forth on the very, very simple process of CONVECTION! What could be simpler. When I read the responses I was forced to realize Everyone here had no such agenda as I. When simple convection cant be presented factually without this sort of uncivilized unscientific uproar, It is clear that my visit is done. I can't say it's been pleasant, it has not,.. and so I bid you a fond FONDUE.
Best Regards
Neal Adams.

Anytime someone wants to have a civilized pleasant Scientific discussion, I am the easiest person to find on the internet.

Chess with Pigeons :nono:
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2874  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 08, 2011 2:14 am

Awwww, you broke it. Brainman's gonna be pissed.

Bet it comes back though.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2875  Postby THWOTH » Dec 08, 2011 2:37 am

:coffee:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2876  Postby hackenslash » Dec 08, 2011 2:43 am

Onyx8 wrote:Awwww, you broke it. Brainman's gonna be pissed.

Bet it comes back though.

It hasn't left yet...

hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#2877  Postby Light Storm » Dec 08, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Asinine Responses

Some of us are intrigued with the empirical evidence of the Expanding Earth. While I only speak for myself, when I keep asking questions, I would prefer answers I couldn't fertilize my lawn with.

Neal; There is a very simple way to prove physical evidence for a 'Growing Earth'. Verify an increasing gravity over the past 100 years. I believe those gravity benches can see variations in gravitational changes to the 6th or 7th decimal place. If the Earth is increasing in 'mass' opposed to 'volume' there should be an upward trend in gravitational changes.

Thanks
"The greatest discoveries of science have always been those that forced us to rethink our beliefs about the universe and our place in it."
Light Storm

Name: James Parrott

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2878  Postby lucek » Dec 08, 2011 4:46 am

Light Storm wrote:Re: Asinine Responses

Some of us are intrigued with the empirical evidence of the Expanding Earth. While I only speak for myself, when I keep asking questions, I would prefer answers I couldn't fertilize my lawn with.

Neal; There is a very simple way to prove physical evidence for a 'Growing Earth'. Verify an increasing gravity over the past 100 years. I believe those gravity benches can see variations in gravitational changes to the 6th or 7th decimal place. If the Earth is increasing in 'mass' opposed to 'volume' there should be an upward trend in gravitational changes.

Thanks

OK LS, do you realize you are defending the position that convection is driven by gas.
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2879  Postby Light Storm » Dec 08, 2011 5:44 am

lucek wrote:OK LS, do you realize you are defending the position that convection is driven by gas.

I've gone looking for changes in gravity meters, some of them have been recording information for decades. I've found no hints of significant change in Earth Mass.

You will find I don't oppose subduction. I believes PT and EE are both based on all the same evidence. The only difference between them is one theory 'allows' a large variance in volume and the other 'demands' a static set volume.
"The greatest discoveries of science have always been those that forced us to rethink our beliefs about the universe and our place in it."
Light Storm

Name: James Parrott

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2880  Postby Just A Theory » Dec 08, 2011 5:52 am

nealadams wrote:Thwoth . The continental plates move in nearly STRAIGHT LINES,

Given that the continents are moving on the surface of an oblate spheroid, shouldn't STRAIGHT LINES actually be ELLIPTICAL ARCS?

back to their origin point on the EarlIER Earth. On a GLOBE it's easier to see and follow (Visually)

Is this the earlier, smaller Earth of your pseudoscientific fantasies? If so, it'll be a little harder to follow that on a GLOBE because map manufacturers nowadays try to ensure that their products bear some resemblance to reality.

the direction of the Isochrons,

The initial states of a convergent system have direction, who knew?
Oh, you meant isochrones! I don't think that helps your argument either.

the going outward backward

Left right centre, got it.

in time crack

I think you misspelled Time Cube

separation in the oceanic floor,

But if there's a separation in the ocean floor, won't all the water gurgle down into that rapidly enlarging space at the centre of the expanding Earth?

Fans and such that show and define direction.

Most fans I know are too busy getting drunk & yelling at their team to give directions.

These are like sidewalk pavement squares that get bigger as they go out from their origin point. and show the spread of the Oceans.

So is the pavement the continents or the oceans? No wait, this is a trick question right, don't tell me...
Oh, I get it, they're both the same size! it's an OpTICaL iLLuSIOn - how clever!

So, there is NO WINDING per se,..THOUGH some feel there is a bit of a spiraling and twisting.

But can't there be a little bit of winding? Who's to say that NO WINDING occurs?

I think it's merely Rifts opening in other direction from previous rifts.

So Rifts are opposite to rifts - good to know.
Tell me, does the water drain into the Earth's core in the opposite direction in Rifts?

Wait, I have it! Rifts are just Australian rifts!

It's like a story book, or tracks in the woods. One just follows them backward.

I think reading story books backwards is what got us into this mess.

I use MSPaint and crayons but not blue crayons because they taste the best.

Gents and Ladies

Thanks, but this is the Tectonic Plate Theory Woo forum. For a discussion on the hard science associated with growing Earth-growing Universe, you should head over to http://www.timecube.com

I held forth on the very, very simple process of CONVECTION! What could be simpler. When I read the responses I was forced to realize Everyone here had no such agenda as I.

You are correct, expanding Earth is not on anyone's agenda here.

When simple convection cant be presented factually without this sort of uncivilized unscientific uproar, It is clear that my visit is done.

You're probably right. if you leave, I'm sure that simple convection will be able to be presented here with an uncivilized, unscientific uproar.

I can't say it's been pleasant, it has not,.. and so I bid you a fond FONDUE.

Cheese?

Best Regards
Neal Adams.

The physics you have presented preclude the emission of photons from an incandescant filament, you'll be typing in the dark.

I'm sure we'll all keep that in mind.
"He who begins by loving Christianity more than Truth, will proceed by loving his sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all."

Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772-1834
Just A Theory

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience