Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere. Yes or No ?

Yes
17%
No
72%
Yes But...Add your reason
6%
No But...Add your reason
6%

Total votes : 181

Re: Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere

#2881  Postby lucek » Dec 08, 2011 6:04 am

Light Storm wrote:
lucek wrote:OK LS, do you realize you are defending the position that convection is driven by gas.

I've gone looking for changes in gravity meters, some of them have been recording information for decades. I've found no hints of significant change in Earth Mass.

You will find I don't oppose subduction. I believes PT and EE are both based on all the same evidence. The only difference between them is one theory 'allows' a large variance in volume and the other 'demands' a static set volume.

To correct, PT is based off the geology of the opposed continents biology on them, geography of their boundaries, geophysics, Observation of moving plates ETC.

EE is based off the geographic boundaries of the plates and a lot of wishful thinking.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2882  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 08, 2011 6:39 am

nealadams wrote: Gents and Ladies
I'm here to discuss Science and the Growing Earth-Growing Universe.

I held forth on the very, very simple process of CONVECTION! What could be simpler. When I read the responses I was forced to realize Everyone here had no such agenda as I. When simple convection cant be presented factually without this sort of uncivilized unscientific uproar, It is clear that my visit is done. I can't say it's been pleasant, it has not,.. and so I bid you a fond FONDUE.
I'll be taking my light with me. It's the only one on.
Best Regards
Neal Adams.

Anytime someone wants to have a civilized pleasant Scientific discussion, I am the easiest person to find on the internet.

No one here has an agenda - that might well be the problem. Your agenda is to fudge science to such a degree that any old claim can be jostled into position, then supported by ad-hoc changes to other scientific areas of knowledge. You might be interested in science, but you're most assuredly not conducting it yourself.

I also have to note for thoroughness that, while anyone might find you on the internet, they'd probably be obliged to pay the fee you charge to review your data - another distinctly unscientific procedure more akin to quack charlatans peddling their snake-oil.

As for my take on it - your stint here was far from unique; peddlers of pseudoscience are two-a-penny, and yes indeed, the internet is a fantastic medium for them to pollute the minds of the credulous. Unfortunately for you, people here aren't gullible enough to accept it unquestioningly. However, at the end of the day, you have to recall that you were invited here by Brain Man for a very specific agenda he didn't disclose to you; in effect, you were used to try to make his point, but it backfired spectacularly.

In sum: you are an awesome artist, a poor writer, and an absurdly incompetent scientist. This is perfectly normal; we all have our strengths and weaknesses, but wisdom comes through realising them.

All the best to you and your fondue.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2883  Postby lucek » Dec 08, 2011 6:47 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf0o9ocmQwE[/youtube]
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2884  Postby Light Storm » Dec 08, 2011 6:52 am

lucek wrote:To correct, PT is based off the geology of the opposed continents biology on them, geography of their boundaries, geophysics, Observation of moving plates ETC.

EE is based off the geographic boundaries of the plates and a lot of wishful thinking.

To re-correct... EE is based on all the same evidence that PT is. Even though geologists denied it for decades, the evidence for an enclosed Atlantic simply became to overwhelming to ignore. 200 million years ago, the Atlantic was simply not there. The disconnected coast lines share similar properties in the rocks, fossil records and sharing sister taxa not found anywhere else in the world prove this to be true. As Dennis McCarthy loves to point out... all that evidence, which I've created links to and talked about is also true in the Pacific. The sea floors are even the same age, and the rifting in the pacific is much faster then the atlantic. It just goes on un-acknoledged here.

PT is based off the geographic boundaries of the plates and a lot of assumptive thinking.
"The greatest discoveries of science have always been those that forced us to rethink our beliefs about the universe and our place in it."
Light Storm

Name: James Parrott

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2885  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 08, 2011 6:58 am

Light Storm wrote:
lucek wrote:To correct, PT is based off the geology of the opposed continents biology on them, geography of their boundaries, geophysics, Observation of moving plates ETC.

To re-correct... EE is based on all the same evidence that PT is. Even though geologists denied it for decades, the evidence for an enclosed Atlantic simply became to overwhelming to ignore. 200 million years ago, the Atlantic was simply not there. The disconnected coast lines share similar properties in the rocks, fossil records and sharing sister taxa not found anywhere else in the world prove this to be true. As Dennis McCarthy loves to point out... all that evidence, which I've created links to and talked about is also true in the Pacific. The sea floors are even the same age, and the rifting in the pacific is much faster then the atlantic. It just goes on un-acknoledged here.

PT is based off the geographic boundaries of the plates and a lot of assumptive thinking.

I can't agree. PT doesn't require extra mass, EE does. That's not the same evidence. Other evidence needs to be supplied to make EE work. Further, if you have 2 models that both explain the data, but one requires some unknown process, there's a scientific and logical reason to opt for the more parsimonious one.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2886  Postby Light Storm » Dec 08, 2011 7:14 am

Spearthrower wrote:I can't agree. PT doesn't require extra mass, EE does. That's not the same evidence. Other evidence needs to be supplied to make EE work. Further, if you have 2 models that both explain the data, but one requires some unknown process, there's a scientific and logical reason to opt for the more parsimonious one.

Aside from an orbital bombardment of mythical proportions that wiped out an Era of pre-historic life on this planet 60 million years ago, and the several hundred metric tons of space dust Earth collects every day, you will find no argument from me that there is not enough inbound matter to effect the mass of the earth.

With the above stated, EE does not need a change in Earth 'Mass' but presents one 'speculation' of a changing Earth Density.

I use Mars as an example of our possible future

It doesn't have the Mass or Density of Earth, but there is certainly a lot of evidence on that planet that would seem to suggest it underwent some form of major expansion in it's past. There is a lot of evidence now that seems to suggest the planet was once covered in a shallow ocean. A lot of mystery surrounds thoughts on what happened to this massive body of water. This EE proponent thinks the answer could be found in taking the EE hypothesis a little more seriously.

If Earth continued to Expand, and loose Density until a point that it had similar density to that of Mars, I think our future may look more like it that of Mars then future PT renders of that make Earth look like Pangea 2.0.
"The greatest discoveries of science have always been those that forced us to rethink our beliefs about the universe and our place in it."
Light Storm

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2887  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 08, 2011 7:23 am

lucek wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf0o9ocmQwE[/youtube]

Who is the geologist in this video?

Entertaining by the way.

One question that this non-geologist asked of Neal et al was why there aren't these crumple mountains from the increase in radius on the Canadian shield. Seemed like a slow ball to hit out of the park really. It was never answered.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2888  Postby Light Storm » Dec 08, 2011 7:25 am

Follow up to above:

I've thought about the Valles Marineris on Mars.

I have often wondered if that was the planets attempt at opening a massive ocean like our own pacific. But the little planet simply did not have the mass or density to continue expanding. Of course... those are ideas that could be looked into only if the EE gained some minute level of credibility to the scientific community. Until such time, I guess you just have to believe is was created by Water Erosion.
Last edited by Light Storm on Dec 08, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Light Storm

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2889  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 08, 2011 7:29 am

Why do you have to believe that?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2890  Postby Light Storm » Dec 08, 2011 7:36 am

Re: Onyx8

One question that this non-geologist asked of Neal et al was why there aren't these crumple mountains from the increase in radius on the Canadian shield. Seemed like a slow ball to hit out of the park really. It was never answered.

You can find just about any Neal Answer to 'Ge' related questions in his videos....

Mountain:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vznUwLAq14[/youtube]

Canada & Great Lakes:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lerwq9HC49M[/youtube]
Light Storm

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2891  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 08, 2011 7:50 am

Light Storm wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I can't agree. PT doesn't require extra mass, EE does. That's not the same evidence. Other evidence needs to be supplied to make EE work. Further, if you have 2 models that both explain the data, but one requires some unknown process, there's a scientific and logical reason to opt for the more parsimonious one.

Aside from an orbital bombardment of mythical proportions that wiped out an Era of pre-historic life on this planet 60 million years ago, and the several hundred metric tons of space dust Earth collects every day, you will find no argument from me that there is not enough inbound matter to effect the mass of the earth.

Yes, well that's already well known and documented and nowhere near even remotely sufficient to support an expanding earth.

Light Storm wrote:With the above stated, EE does not need a change in Earth 'Mass' but presents one 'speculation' of a changing Earth Density.

Density is mass/volume. So you are suggesting that the volume increases while the mass stays approximately the same, leading to a less dense Earth? What process causes this? It's certainly not given by the same data as PT, which was your claim.

Light Storm wrote:I use Mars as an example of our possible future

It doesn't have the Mass or Density of Earth, but there is certainly a lot of evidence on that planet that would seem to suggest it underwent some form of major expansion in it's past.

Such as?

Light Storm wrote:There is a lot of evidence now that seems to suggest the planet was once covered in a shallow ocean.

Which has nothing to do with whether there was an expansion.

Light Storm wrote:A lot of mystery surrounds thoughts on what happened to this massive body of water.

The mystery is whether the water went up or down. We know water is sequestered in the polar cap, underground, and in mineral deposits. We know that Mars loses something like 100 tonnes of atmosphere a day. If you can point me to an article that suggests that this water loss was a result of Mars expansion, I would be very interested... but I think it's just speculation based on your belief in EE rather than in any actual data. I am more than happy to be shown wrong though.

Light Storm wrote:This EE proponent thinks the answer could be found in taking the EE hypothesis a little more seriously.

If the EE hypothesis can't even be shown to work on Earth, which it is tailored to, why extend it to a planet we know far less about?

Light Storm wrote:If Earth continued to Expand, and loose Density until a point that it had similar density to that of Mars, I think our future may look more like it that of Mars then future PT renders of that make Earth look like Pangea 2.0.

Well, the reason Mars is less dense is that it is about half the radius of Earth and has only about 10% of the mass (plug in mass/volume for the answer). Factoring gravity into that (62% less on Mars) seems to explain this satisfactorily without recourse to non-established hypotheses being inserted, surely?

Also, I am a bit concerned about your appeal to density. As already explained, density is mass/volume. Mars's volume is tiny comparatively, yet you seem to be suggesting that it increased in volume while its mass stayed the same, and this resulted in the loss of atmosphere... and that this somehow sheds light onto Earth?

Perhaps someone else can make head or tails of this argument, because it looks self-contradictory to me.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2892  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 08, 2011 7:55 am

Light Storm wrote:
I have often wondered if that was the planets attempt at opening a massive ocean like our own pacific. But the little planet simply did not have the mass or density to continue expanding. Of course... those are ideas that could be looked into only if the EE gained some minute level of credibility to the scientific community. Until such time, I guess you just have to believe is was created by Water Erosion.

Why does a planet need a particular mass or density to increase in volume? :think: Isn't that contradictory to what you are arguing for?

An increase in volume without an increase in mass equates to a loss of density.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2893  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 08, 2011 7:59 am

Onyx8 wrote:Why do you have to believe that?

Quite: a well documented process on Earth that produced similar geological features as found on another world requires 'belief'... but real insight will only come about via accepting an unestablished hypothesis as fact....

I feel like I've stepped into some bizarre parallel world of explanation where no sense = sense.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2894  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 08, 2011 8:21 am

Light Storm wrote:Re: Onyx8

You can find just about any Neal Answer to 'Ge' related questions in his videos....

Mountain:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vznUwLAq14[/youtube]

Canada & Great Lakes:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lerwq9HC49M[/youtube]

Those two videos show two different things happening to purportedly the same place. Where are the mountain ranges in the east to match the Rockies? Why are there no mountains on the shield? Why didn't it collapse and form mountains when the radius changed?

Seems like you (or he, I'm not quite sure where you stand on all this) wants it both ways: things stretch when they have to and crumple when they have to depending on what we see today, but for no other reason offered.

Why did all, or at least a majority of the crumpling happen at the rockies but the rest of Canada just stretched to the new radius?
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2895  Postby Light Storm » Dec 08, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Spearthrower

Light Storm wrote:With the above stated, EE does not need a change in Earth 'Mass' but presents one 'speculation' of a changing Earth Density.

Density is mass/volume. So you are suggesting that the volume increases while the mass stays approximately the same, leading to a less dense Earth? What process causes this? It's certainly not given by the same data as PT, which was your claim.

The inner core of the Earth is under a fair amount of pressure... 360 gigapascals. That's a lot of pressure. It's the kind of pressure that can transform density of solid matter into a significantly greater dense state. I'm not a physicist, but I've learned enough about it that when something can not compress any further, it begins to heat up. As it gets hotter... the molecules get more excited, and can be increased further in density.

Speculation: What happens to this material if it looses heat? I suggest that as the Earth Cools from the outside in, it looses density over time forcing a molecular expansion simply because the molecules can not be that tightly packed in a cooler state. Without real core samples from the earth, this will forever be a 'guess'

Light Storm wrote:I use Mars as an example of our possible future

It doesn't have the Mass or Density of Earth, but there is certainly a lot of evidence on that planet that would seem to suggest it underwent some form of major expansion in it's past.

Such as?

How about this... I'll refer you to one of Neals Videos... if that's not good enough, I'll dig up the Nasa notes on Mars, however... none of them suggest Mars Expanded, rather suggest that Mars used to under go Plate Tectonics much like Earth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d44Jj_3gp-M[/youtube]

Light Storm wrote:There is a lot of evidence now that seems to suggest the planet was once covered in a shallow ocean.

Which has nothing to do with whether there was an expansion.

Unless you understand Expansion Theory. It is believed by many of the proponents, primarily Maxlow, that the oceans are a bi-product out venting/gassing as the earth cools on the inside. There is now evidence that supports Ocean Quantities of water still trapped within the mantle. If the cooling process continues, that out venting could continue. If the Expansion stops, and the crust looses density, one could speculate that it might reabsorb the water, much like a giant sponge.

Light Storm wrote:A lot of mystery surrounds thoughts on what happened to this massive body of water.

The mystery is whether the water went up or down. We know water is sequestered in the polar cap, underground, and in mineral deposits. We know that Mars loses something like 100 tonnes of atmosphere a day. If you can point me to an article that suggests that this water loss was a result of Mars expansion, I would be very interested... but I think it's just speculation based on your belief in EE rather than in any actual data. I am more than happy to be shown wrong though.

I vote it went down

Light Storm wrote:This EE proponent thinks the answer could be found in taking the EE hypothesis a little more seriously.

If the EE hypothesis can't even be shown to work on Earth, which it is tailored to, why extend it to a planet we know far less about?

For this observer, the answer fits not just one planet, but all planets. Even the recent study of that comet is showing evidence that the comet is more like a spherical planet than a giant hunk of rock. I think there is more evidence about the life cycle of a planets, and it's sitting right in front of us.

Light Storm wrote:If Earth continued to Expand, and loose Density until a point that it had similar density to that of Mars, I think our future may look more like it that of Mars then future PT renders of that make Earth look like Pangea 2.0.

Well, the reason Mars is less dense is that it is about half the radius of Earth and has only about 10% of the mass (plug in mass/volume for the answer). Factoring gravity into that (62% less on Mars) seems to explain this satisfactorily without recourse to non-established hypotheses being inserted, surely?

So if Mars had the mass/density of Earth at it's current volume, what would it's gravity be like compared to Earth (I honestly don't know the answer to this)

What if Mars began as a much smaller planet, what if Earth started out as the size of mars. I think as time goes on, Mars will start to look more like our moon, and we will start to look more like Mars.

Also, I am a bit concerned about your appeal to density. As already explained, density is mass/volume. Mars's volume is tiny comparatively, yet you seem to be suggesting that it increased in volume while its mass stayed the same, and this resulted in the loss of atmosphere... and that this somehow sheds light onto Earth?

Perhaps someone else can make head or tails of this argument, because it looks self-contradictory to me.

I hope I'm helping you understand my perspective on the subject.
Light Storm

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2896  Postby Darkchilde » Dec 08, 2011 10:55 am

Light Storm wrote:Re: Spearthrower

The inner core of the Earth is under a fair amount of pressure... 360 gigapascals. That's a lot of pressure. It's the kind of pressure that can transform density of solid matter into a significantly greater dense state. I'm not a physicist, but I've learned enough about it that when something can not compress any further, it begins to heat up. As it gets hotter... the molecules get more excited, and can be increased further in density.

Wrong. Density depends on mass and volume. Heat is just kinetic energy. The hotter a substance is the faster its molecules move, so they have more kinetic energy. In order for density to increase you need to do one of the following things:

1. reduce the volume without any change in the mass
2. increase the mass without any change in the volume
3. reduce the volume and increase the mass.

As long as the volume and mass are the same, density does not change. Now, you can compress something a lot, look at black holes, but in those extreme cases you need much greater masses, something like 3-4 solar masses (don't remember at the moment, and my books are at home).

Light Storm wrote:
Speculation: What happens to this material if it looses heat? I suggest that as the Earth Cools from the outside in, it looses density over time forcing a molecular expansion simply because the molecules can not be that tightly packed in a cooler state. Without real core samples from the earth, this will forever be a 'guess'

NO. As I said, heat is nothing more than kinetic energy, which gets transferred to the outer layers, that's part of convection. The hotter material rises, it cools because as the molecules hit each other, they transfer the kinetic energy. (Look at collisions, both elastic and inelastic. In the case of atoms and molecules, most collisions are usually considered elastic), and then since they are slower, they sink, get heated again, and so on and so forth.

It's actually more complicated than this, and I am trying to use as simple physics as I can to explain this.

What happens when material cools down, is that it loses the kinetic energy, moves slower, and bonds between molecules and atoms form more easily. So, as material cools down it solidifies. Density may increase or decrease in such circumstances, depending on the volume, if we assume that the mass stays the same. For example, water when it cools and turns into ice, it actually expands, and so its density decreases. That is why ice floats on water; its density is less than its liquid form. Other liquids and gases, increase in density when they cool down, and solidify.

As for the rest, I am not going to comment because I think the whole expansion thing is total bollocks. There is no clear mechanism for expansion, no clear mechanism where the extra mass/energy comes from, and I am again repeating myself, with questions that are still unanswered.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2897  Postby THWOTH » Dec 08, 2011 1:00 pm

The reason I kept asking Mr Adams what software he used was to illuminate the suspicion that his animation were a technical realisation of what he imagined the expanding Earth to do. They weren't models in the sense that he claimed them, they did not model a system they merely reproduced the look of the supposedly expanding Earth which was held in his imagination. To say that the animations modelled continental movement is akin to saying that this models a duck...

If Mr Adams had had a mind to he could have wound the Earth back until it looked like a disc, or a pyramid, or a doughnut, etc. His whole hypothesis rests on this misconception; that his animated wind-backs should actually represent reality regardless of reality. This renders him a faith-based ideologue in my book.

Putting his ideology behind a pay-wall and offering it as the One True ScienceTM is dishonest charlatanism plain and simple.

:D
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2898  Postby Weaver » Dec 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Light Storm,

1) Please provide any evidence whatsoever that Mars was once covered by an ocean - not just depression areas like Hellas, but the whole planet.

2) Please provide evidence that the Valles Marinaris is a rift or expansion feature and not the water-carved canyon that most scientists view it to be.

3) Please define which is important to allow a planet to expand - mass or density?

4) Please explain why you continue to believe that EE has any value as a hypothesis, given your admissions that the planet is not currently expanding (as measured by Wu et al) and that there is no change in surface gravity to suggest expansion?
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2899  Postby jaygray » Dec 08, 2011 1:47 pm

nealadams wrote: Gents and Ladies
I'm here to discuss Science and the Growing Earth-Growing Universe.

Some science at the most basic level from you would have been nice. We could've taken it from there.

nealadams wrote:I held forth on the very, very simple process of CONVECTION! What could be simpler.

I wonder why you still couldn't get it though. By the way, if you are holding forth on anything, you should cut down on the spicy food.

nealadams wrote:When I read the responses I was forced to realize Everyone here had no such agenda as I.

As in nobody was falling for the bullshit.

nealadams wrote:When simple convection cant be presented factually without this sort of uncivilized unscientific uproar, It is clear that my visit is done.

Dear oh dear, what has happened to that 'I always win' spirit?

As for the uproar, I must have missed that.

Oh I see, you're using over-hyped piffle with no-basis in reality for effect. That makes a change. Not.

nealadams wrote:I can't say it's been pleasant, it has not,..

:boohoo:

nealadams wrote:and so I bid you a fond FONDUE.

I'd rather not partake of your hot cheesy dribble, thanks.

nealadams wrote:I'll be taking my light with me. It's the only one on.

Ah, but is there anybody home?
'Now, there are some who would like to rewrite history - revisionist historians is what I like to call them.' - George W. Bush
jaygray

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2900  Postby lucek » Dec 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Darkchilde wrote:

Wrong. Density depends on mass and volume. Heat is just kinetic energy. The hotter a substance is the faster its molecules move, so they have more kinetic energy. In order for density to increase you need to do one of the following things:

1. reduce the volume without any change in the mass
2. increase the mass without any change in the volume
3. reduce the volume and increase the mass.

As long as the volume and mass are the same, density does not change. Now, you can compress something a lot, look at black holes, but in those extreme cases you need much greater masses, something like 3-4 solar masses (don't remember at the moment, and my books are at home).

As a quick correction density is effected by heat. An object that is heated swells, and one that is cooled shrinks. Some exceptions apply, water for example which expands below 4 Celsius. The effect is minor with the exception of phase changes.
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience