Alcohol Induced Psychosis

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#141  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2018 7:10 pm

If there is no reprimand administered on BB for calling me a whinging coward by 3pm monday (tomoz) gmt I'm done with this board. I most deeply and sincerely hope I am not.
Dinosaurs = atheism
User avatar
Keep It Real
Banned User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9341
Age: 42

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#142  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2018 7:11 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:So, so much irony.


I am dearly loved by many; so no.
Dinosaurs = atheism
User avatar
Keep It Real
Banned User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9341
Age: 42

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#143  Postby Fallible » Mar 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Keep It Real wrote:If there is no reprimand administered on BB for calling me a whinging coward by 3pm monday (tomoz) gmt I'm done with this board. I most deeply and sincerely hope I am not.


I'm afraid you will be then. Please, just get to bed or something.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 51
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#144  Postby BlackBart » Mar 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Keep It Real wrote:If BB doesn't get slapped for this I swear down there will be no more posts from me on this forum.


And that will disadvantage who exactly?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12607
Age: 61
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#145  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:If there is no reprimand administered on BB for calling me a whinging coward by 3pm monday (tomoz) gmt I'm done with this board. I most deeply and sincerely hope I am not.


I'm afraid you will be then. Please, just get to bed or something.


If it does pan out that way I wish I had your email or something so we can stay in touch.
Dinosaurs = atheism
User avatar
Keep It Real
Banned User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9341
Age: 42

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#146  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:So, so much irony.


I am dearly loved by many; so no.

Well at least you'll have more time to spend with your dearly loved ones when you stop posting here as a result of someone not personally attacking you.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14774
Age: 44
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#147  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Not just anyone. BB.
Dinosaurs = atheism
User avatar
Keep It Real
Banned User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9341
Age: 42

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#148  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Okay, as a result of BB not personally attacking you. And then you personally attacking Shrunk right afterwards because you want advice from some guy on the internet instead of just getting off your ass and going to a doctor.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14774
Age: 44
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#149  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Gigantic strawman bullshit.
Dinosaurs = atheism
User avatar
Keep It Real
Banned User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9341
Age: 42

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#150  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2018 7:38 pm



How's your government going SAM fam?
Dinosaurs = atheism
User avatar
Keep It Real
Banned User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9341
Age: 42

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#151  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Gigantic strawman bullshit.

Tell yourself whatever you need to hear, I guess. So much for keeping it real.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14774
Age: 44
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#152  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 04, 2018 7:43 pm

Keep It Real wrote:

How's your government going SAM fam?

Aww poor guy, someone said some facts and now you're all butthurt. Go to bed.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14774
Age: 44
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#153  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2018 7:47 pm

I hope you react militantly/memetically to the anger you feel m8.
Dinosaurs = atheism
User avatar
Keep It Real
Banned User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9341
Age: 42

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#154  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I hope you react militantly/memetically to the anger you feel m8.


Image
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14774
Age: 44
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#155  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2018 8:18 pm

3pm GMT. Super cereal.
Dinosaurs = atheism
User avatar
Keep It Real
Banned User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9341
Age: 42

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#156  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2018 8:25 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:I hope you react militantly/memetically to the anger you feel m8.


Image


Well I fucking hope you feel angry m8 - if that greedy stupid twat was the nominal leader of our country I would be!
Dinosaurs = atheism
User avatar
Keep It Real
Banned User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9341
Age: 42

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#157  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 04, 2018 8:27 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH fuck me americans seem so stupid sometimes.
Dinosaurs = atheism
User avatar
Keep It Real
Banned User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9341
Age: 42

Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#158  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Keep It Real wrote:3pm GMT. Super cereal.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out! :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14774
Age: 44
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#159  Postby John Platko » Mar 04, 2018 8:33 pm

:book:

from

Alcohol-Induced Psychosis: Causes, Concerns & Treatment Options

People who drink excessive amounts of alcohol can develop the symptoms of psychosis (hallucinations and/or delusional thinking) while intoxicated or in a state of withdrawal. They can also develop a distinct condition called alcohol-induced psychotic disorder or alcohol-induced psychotic syndrome (AIPS). The development of AIPS is a very serious occurrence that can lead to poor treatment outcomes and a significantly increased chance of dying prematurely. Fortunately, you can potentially recover from alcohol-induced psychosis with the help of antipsychotic medication.

How Can Drinking Lead to Psychosis?

Psychosis is considered an extremely dysfunctional mental state. It has several potential alcohol-related underlying factors or causes. Prominent examples include:
The long-term brain effects of alcoholism
The brain’s response to early- or late-stage alcohol withdrawal
The presence of alcoholism in combination with a mental health condition capable of producing psychosis
The presence of a vitamin B1 (thiamine) deficiency
The co-existence of other forms of substance abuse, and
Lack of adequate mental health resources for a heavy drinker

Major Concerns Regarding Alcohol-Induced Psychosis

The American Psychiatric Association recognizes AIPS as a form of mental illness separate from alcohol abuse or alcoholism. Studies indicate that about 4% of people with diagnosable alcohol problems will develop this condition. Compared to individuals only affected by alcohol abuse/alcoholism, individuals with AIPS have higher risks for a range of serious health problems, including alcohol-related liver damage, broken bones, head injuries and gastritis (stomach lining inflammation). The presence of the condition can also increase your chances of receiving a primary diagnosis for a separate psychotic illness such as schizophrenia or schizophreniform disorder. In addition, the presence of AIPS can significantly increase your chances of dying from heart disease, accidents or suicide.

Treatment Options


Antipsychotic medications are widely used to treat all forms of psychosis. These medications don’t cure psychotic symptoms, but help keep such symptoms under control so you can stay active in daily life. There are two classes of antipsychotic drugs: typical antipsychotics and atypical antipsychotics. Atypical medications, such as risperidone and quetiapine, tend to produce fewer negative side effects than typical medications, such as haloperidol or chlorpromazine.
It is possible to recover from alcohol-induced psychosis, especially if you don’t meet the criteria for an official AIPS diagnosis. However, researchers now believe that AIPS itself is tougher to treat than once commonly thought. Your potential for improvement depends largely on your ability to bring your drinking to a halt and establish a long-term pattern of sobriety.
I like to imagine ...
User avatar
John Platko
 
Name: John Platko
Posts: 9411
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Alcohol Induced Psychosis

#160  Postby John Platko » Mar 04, 2018 9:17 pm

This looks like a good overview of alcohol induced psychosis. It looks very complicated to sort out this sort of diagnosis.

I like to imagine ...
User avatar
John Platko
 
Name: John Platko
Posts: 9411
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests