The god Thor

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The god Thor

#1  Postby cursuswalker » Mar 11, 2010 7:31 pm

Do any Christians here believe in the existence of the god Thor?
Image http://www.caerabred.org/

Space Corps Directive 723. 'Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.'
cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The god Thor

#2  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 11, 2010 7:55 pm

After all these years of physiotherapy, I don't think he's Thor anymore. :lol:
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 11, 2010 8:25 pm

cursuswalker wrote:Do any Christians here believe in the existence of the god Thor?

I'm an atheist and I don't believe in Thor (redundant statement) but he's my favorite mythical god. His way of dealing with things is very- blunt. Nor does he have a later segment of the holy book where he suddenly becomes the opposite of what he started out being.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby cursuswalker » Mar 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Moonwatcher wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:Do any Christians here believe in the existence of the god Thor?

I'm an atheist and I don't believe in Thor (redundant statement) but he's my favorite mythical god. His way of dealing with things is very- blunt. Nor does he have a later segment of the holy book where he suddenly becomes the opposite of what he started out being.

That is also an interesting question: what ones favourite god/s is/are. I have said before that an atheist pride march should consist of people dressing as things they don't believe exist. It could outdo gay pride!

But anyway...back on topic. Once again I am looking for any Christian on this forum who believe in the existence of Thor.

As well as those who don't as it happens.
Image http://www.caerabred.org/

Space Corps Directive 723. 'Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.'
cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Sphynxcat » Mar 11, 2010 8:46 pm

lordshipmayhem wrote:After all these years of physiotherapy, I don't think he's Thor anymore. :lol:

And if he ith, then he thould put thome ointment on it.
Author of 'Dreamshade', one weird and wild fantasy epic: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916
Sphynxcat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Dracena » Mar 11, 2010 8:51 pm

lordshipmayhem wrote:After all these years of physiotherapy, I don't think he's Thor anymore. :lol:

:scratch: A joke I don't get, can someone explain?
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mister Agenda » Mar 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Thure.
Mister Agenda

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby chairman bill » Mar 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Dracena wrote: :scratch: A joke I don't get, can someone explain?

Imagine being sore, but with a lisp ...
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Dracena » Mar 11, 2010 8:56 pm

chairman bill wrote:

:grin: Thanks, got it.
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Rollerlocked » Mar 11, 2010 11:28 pm

I've known Christians who believed that mythological deities were demons.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."
-Samuel Putnam
Rollerlocked

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Melhael » Mar 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Favourite deity: Apollo. The guy's hot, slept with anything that moved and was the god of most cool things, like poetry, medicine, etc. :)
Happiness is not a state; it's the process through which we better ourselves.

ImageTHE DRUIDIC ORDER OF NATURALISTS
http://www.caerabred.org/
Melhael

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby akigr8 » Mar 11, 2010 11:51 pm

Dracena wrote:
chairman bill wrote:

:grin: Thanks, got it.

I'm Thor, but not complaining :shifty:
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

#13  Postby Ciarin » Mar 11, 2010 11:53 pm

I believe in Thor(Thunor), but I'm not Christian. If you believe in Thor it most likely means you follow a different religion than Christianity. So what's up with the question? Just trying to point out to Christians that they are "atheist" towards other gods? That's called Monotheism.
Ciarin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 12, 2010 3:23 am

Rollerlocked wrote:I've known Christians who believed that mythological deities were demons.

No, no, no, Christians: Daemons are processes that run in the background on *nix operating systems. (Unix, Linux, Minux, Apple Mac OS X, etc.)

Silly fundamentalist goofballs. :naughty2:
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Melhael » Mar 12, 2010 9:38 am

Ciarin wrote:I believe in Thor(Thunor), but I'm not Christian. If you believe in Thor it most likely means you follow a different religion than Christianity. So what's up with the question? Just trying to point out to Christians that they are "atheist" towards other gods? That's called Monotheism.

That's a bit weird: taking a god from a polytheistic pantheon and worshipping just him? Isn't that rather a type of polytheism? Like they did in Greece, or Rome or Egypt where they worshipped a local deity in priority but still acknowledge the existence of others?

(I can remember the exact term for that, I'm afraid...)
Happiness is not a state; it's the process through which we better ourselves.

ImageTHE DRUIDIC ORDER OF NATURALISTS
http://www.caerabred.org/
Melhael

Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby Ciarin » Mar 12, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm a Polytheist, not a Henotheist.
Ciarin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Varangian » Mar 12, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm not a xian or into the Norse stuff, but I've been wearing a Thor's hammer pendant for 25 years now.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Chinaski » Mar 13, 2010 10:00 am

I wear a Mjolnir pendant as well. Affirmation of naturalism and European cultural identity as opposed to Christianity and its presumptuousness, and all that.
Chinaski

Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

#19  Postby katja z » Mar 13, 2010 10:19 am

I'm a staunch believer in the Invisible Pink Unicorn (bbhhh), but my beautiful pink pendant I wear in Her honour is, sadly, invisible.

Oh, but if I were to choose among the pre-Christian European gods, it would be either Vesna or Živa - those were old Slavic goddesses of Spring and of life, respectively.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Varangian wrote:I'm not a xian or into the Norse stuff, but I've been wearing a Thor's hammer pendant for 25 years now.

I've owned a Thor pendant, lost in moving. I've read Norse Myth and I am absolutely sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that a childhood's worth of Thor comic books has absolutely nothing to do with why I find him fascinating. :oops:

When I was a child, there was a time I asked my parents why "God" didn't perform miracles anymore like he used to do, why we saw no direct evidence of his existing. They explained that he did that in biblical times but after the Bible was completed, he stopped doing that anymore. :scratch:

Anyway, from reading Thor comics, I read some Norse mythology and indicated maybe Thor could be real. My parents explained he was just made up. I asked how they knew that. They said, "Well, have you ever seen him? Does he do anything?"
I said, "Not anymore but maybe its just like the Bible. At a certain point, he just doesn't do obvious things anymore. Maybe it's that magic stuff just stopped being done at some point just like with "God"."
My mother had this look on her face like, 'Trapped in my own logic' and said, "That's different."
Of course, I said, "Why?"
I think she just said something about how I'd understand whan I was older and walked away.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems