The Role of Intellectual Elites

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Role of Intellectual Elites

#141  Postby Thommo » Jul 01, 2010 1:55 pm

YanShen wrote:I'm sorry Thommo, but if you think that being a Putnam Fellow isn't strong evidence of extraordinary mathematical aptitude, I'd argue that you're sadly mistaken. Or for that matter winning the Nobel prize in physics.

Be sorry all you like, how about you show me where I said that then?
Thommo

Print view this post

#142  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 1:55 pm

YanShen wrote:Sigh. Let me try one more time. Obviously his spectacular quantitative achievements render it highly likely, if not virtually certain, that the IQ test administered couldn't adequately measure out to his level of mathematical aptitude. He was also a Putnam Fellow.

So you reason that because he achieved he must have had a high IQ - this is a trivial example of confirmation bias.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#143  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 1:57 pm

The entire point is that because he achieved the status of being a Putnam Fellow, his quantitative IQ was almost certainly extraordinary. That's not an example of confirmation bias. It's a reflection of the intellectual rigor of the test.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#144  Postby Thommo » Jul 01, 2010 1:59 pm

Well, you've made your argument circular now. How silly.

You’re defining that people who have achieved a lot have high IQs (regardless of the actual scores they got on standardised IQ tests) then claiming that as evidence that people with high IQs achieve a lot.

:picard:

Edit: for clarity
Last edited by Thommo on Jul 01, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#145  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 2:02 pm

How is that a circular argument? The Putnam Exam has a much higher ceiling than the 99th percentile. Maybe that's the point that you're missing which is throwing you off. You can essentially think of the Putnam Exam as de factor math IQ test, albeit one without a traditional IQ score.

I hope that clarifies the confusion.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#146  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Nah. Let me try explaining it one more time. The Putnam Exam measures out to extreme levels of mathematical ability. If we wanted to, we could use that as a math IQ test. That's the entire point. Essentially Feynman aced a math IQ test with a much higher ceiling. However, his aggregate 125 score was the result of him having maxed out a math IQ subsection with a relatively low ceiling.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Thommo » Jul 01, 2010 2:07 pm

YanShen wrote:How is that a circular argument? The Putnam Exam has a much higher ceiling than the 99th percentile. Maybe that's the point that you're missing which is throwing you off. You can essentially think of the Putnam Exam as de factor math IQ test, albeit one without a traditional IQ score.

I hope that clarifies the confusion.

Yes, it shows quite clearly where you are confused, thanks.

You're using a test which doesn't measure IQ as the basis for a claim about IQs. Apples and pears.
Thommo

Print view this post

#148  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 2:07 pm

The test does measure IQ buddy, albeit indirectly. The Putnam Exam is an enormously difficult mathematics exam for college students. It would be quite absurd to argue that quantitative IQ wasn't involved in a mathematics exam.
Last edited by YanShen on Jul 01, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Thommo » Jul 01, 2010 2:08 pm

YanShen wrote:The test does measure IQ buddy, albeit indirectly.

Strange, I see no such claim:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putnam_exam

Can you provide a conversion chart for IQ scores from this test please?
Thommo

Print view this post

#150  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 2:09 pm

In general, being able to do difficult math requires quantitative IQ Thommo. I know that it's a profound concept. :)

In theory, you could figure out what percentile of the population scores above a certain level on the Putnam and use that as a guide to determining math IQ. Just assume a normal distribution with mean 100 and SD 15 and use the percentile from the Putnam Exam as the determining factor.
Last edited by YanShen on Jul 01, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Thommo » Jul 01, 2010 2:15 pm

YanShen wrote:In general, being able to do difficult math requires quantitative IQ Thommo. I know that it's a profound concept. :)

Not profound, wrong.

Being able to do difficult math requires the ability to do difficult math.

You're citing your conclusion as support for your argument. It's so obviously circular I can only assume you're winding me up!

Edit: Oh come on now, not only are you redefining IQ away from it's accepted definition but you're defining "math IQ" as being the ability to perform maths, then claiming that people with high "math IQ" have high ability to perform maths. :lol:
Last edited by Thommo on Jul 01, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#152  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Lol, you amuse me. You're right. Doing difficult math has nothing to do with math IQ. No brain processes are involved in any way. You don't have to think. THe answers magically appear to you if you just will yourself enough.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#153  Postby Thommo » Jul 01, 2010 2:19 pm

YanShen wrote:Lol, you amuse me. You're right. Doing difficult math has nothing to do with math IQ.

But that's not what you said. :roll:

What you said was:-
YanShen wrote:In general, being able to do difficult math requires quantitative IQ Thommo. I know that it's a profound concept. :)

You just added the word math later!

Edit: response to this edit:
YanShen wrote:Lol, you amuse me. You're right. Doing difficult math has nothing to do with math IQ. No brain processes are involved in any way. You don't have to think. THe answers magically appear to you if you just will yourself enough.

Well, gee, thanks for the straw man. How about you show me where I wrote this one? No? Just going to leave that one hanging in the wind too?
Last edited by Thommo on Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#154  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Come on, you're smarter than that. I'm claiming that people who ace a test which requires high math IQ have high math IQ. Sure. There's nothing circular about that. And people who fail a test which requires high math IQ don't have high math IQ. It's so simple that I don't get why you can't see it.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#155  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Oh okay. You caught me. I use the words math and quantitative interchangeably. From now on, let's establish the equivalence of the two terms in my language. Now, I'll give you one more chance to grasp the argument.

The Putnam Exam requires high math/quantitative IQ in order for one to succeed.
Richard Feynman succeeded on the Putnam Exam.
Therefore, Richard Feynman has a high math/quantitative IQ.

You see the logical deduction there? There's no circular reasoning. Of course, you seem to be challenging premise one, which is quite simply absurd.
Last edited by YanShen on Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#156  Postby Thommo » Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm

YanShen wrote:Come on, you're smarter than that. I'm claiming that people who ace a test which requires high math IQ have high math IQ. Sure. There's nothing circular about that. And people who fail a test which requires high math IQ don't have high math IQ. It's so simple that I don't get why you can't see it.

I don't know why you're asserting I don't get it. You've shifted your position and redefining your terms.

This is blatant goal post shifting and personalisation. Please cut it out.

Sure, if you define that people who perform well on a specific test have "high math IQ" then that "high math IQ" will be an excellent predictor of performance on that test. Profoundly and trivially circular. Big fat "so what".

This doesn't in any way actually address the issue that was apparently raised in the OP and to which I responded. You have yet to demonstrate the extent of the claimed connection between IQ (not "math IQ" as just invented) and productivity of intellectual output. I look forward to you backing up this claim.
Thommo

Print view this post

#157  Postby Thommo » Jul 01, 2010 2:25 pm

YanShen wrote:You see the logical deduction there? There's no circular reasoning. Of course, you seem to be challenging premise one, which is quite simply absurd.

Where did I challenge premise 1?
Thommo

Print view this post

#158  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 2:26 pm

Usually when the specific test is a rigorous mathematical examination, it's almost tautological to claim that it requires math IQ?

What else do I have to prove? That in order to do well at reading comprehension, you need to have good verbal IQ?

Do you even understand your own objection or argument? You basically dispute the claim that the Putnam Exam requires math/quantitative IQ. That's a direct challenge to premise 1.

YanShen wrote:In general, being able to do difficult math requires quantitative IQ Thommo. I know that it's a profound concept. :)

Not profound, wrong.

Your only objection is that you refuse to equate "the ability to do difficult math" with "math/quantitative IQ".

Sure, if you define that people who perform well on a specific test have "high math IQ" then that "high math IQ" will be an excellent predictor of performance on that test. Profoundly and trivially circular. Big fat "so what".

Are you sure you follow the nature of my deduction there? Or your own objection? Because basically your objection is that premise 1 is circular. My argument is that premise one is true, almost to be point of being self-evident.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#159  Postby Thommo » Jul 01, 2010 2:31 pm

YanShen wrote:Usually when the specific test is a rigorous mathematical examination, it's almost tautological to claim that it requires math IQ?

Well, I'm not aware of there even being a rigorously defined "math IQ", but what that has to do with your original claim that made no reference to specific "math IQ" anyway is a question begging to be asked.

YanShen wrote:What else do I have to prove? That in order to do well at reading comprehension, you need to have good verbal IQ?

What else? You haven't proven anything yet, you've just excercised some humpty dumpty English to avoid doing so.

YanShen wrote:Do you even understand your own objection or argument?

Yep, my objection was that you weren't applying consistent standards to create an objective measure on which to base your claim. I have subsequently pointed out that you're flip-flopping by redefining terms.

YanShen wrote:You basically dispute the claim that the Putnam Exam requires math/quantitative IQ. That's a direct challenge to premise 1.

Where did I do this? Please quote. And bear in mind that you have redefined IQ to "quantitative IQ" which you slipped in about half way through the conversation and declared it to be identical to "math IQ".

Edit: To accomodate your edit:-

YanShen wrote:Do you even understand your own objection or argument? You basically dispute the claim that the Putnam Exam requires math/quantitative IQ. That's a direct challenge to premise 1.

YanShen wrote:In general, being able to do difficult math requires quantitative IQ Thommo. I know that it's a profound concept. :)

Not profound, wrong.

Your only objection is that you refuse to equate "the ability to do difficult math" with "math/quantitative IQ".

No, that isn't my objection. Prior to the point where you arbitrarily declared by fiat that "quantitative IQ" meant "ability to do maths" I was discussing your assertions about IQ made in the opening post.
Thommo

Print view this post

#160  Postby YanShen » Jul 01, 2010 2:37 pm

So what are you saying? That someone with high quantitative IQ can't do math?
What else will you claim? That someone with high verbal IQ can't do reading comprehension?

Sure, I'll also declare by fiat that being able to driving a car requires "driving ability".
But I guess your response will be that being able to drive a car requires only being able to drive a car.
Last edited by YanShen on Jul 01, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology