The Role of Intellectual Elites

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Role of Intellectual Elites

#81  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 30, 2010 11:23 am

chairman bill wrote:Er, I thought I was the Prince of Darkness & therefore the soul-sucker. Then again, I might have mis-heard the last bit ...

Elites are not immune to hearing difficulties.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#82  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 30, 2010 11:29 am

All in favour of pronouncing this thread a 'fail'?

Any nays?
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#83  Postby chairman bill » Jun 30, 2010 11:29 am

I third the proposal ... but in an elitist manner
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Mazille » Jun 30, 2010 11:31 am

Made of Stars wrote:
Mazille wrote:BUT, everyone has to assume that they are right in the first place and that the committee is only a formality anyway. That's how you elitists do that, right?

Don't underestimate the importance of formalising a formality though. Shall we take a vote? Can I get a second?

I second the motion.

Made of Stars wrote:
Mazille wrote:Well, I honestly wouldn't have said no to some more beers with you, mate, but - alas - you were busy sucking souls.

Trudat. Tasty morsels they were too.

:hungry:

Made of Stars wrote:
Mazille wrote:You're welcome to come back any time, though. The next beer's on me.

I should be in Stockholm in September. That's near you, innit?

Well, kinda. From an Aussie perspective... :ask:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#85  Postby NineOneFour » Jun 30, 2010 11:32 am

YanShen wrote:It's sometimes been stated that the top 10% of society, from an intellectual perspective, contribute virtually everything of value. If we want to be even more precise, we might argue that only the top few percent of the IQ distribution make any real scientific contributions to humanity. For instance, Geoffrey Miller has argued that an IQ of roughly 130 is generally the cut-off point required for being able to make original scientific contributions. If one assumes a normal distribution for IQ with a mean of 100 and a SD of 15, this corresponds roughly to the top 2.275% of society at large. The bottom line is quite clear. A few people are carrying the vast majority of society on their backs, allowing them to enjoy the accouterments of modern civilization.

And yet the left frequently despises what it labels as elitism. I struggle mightily to understand this sentiment. When a few people work hard and utilize their intellects, making vastly disproportionate contributions to humanity, shouldn't they be revered rather than scorned? Can someone explain where this source of anti-elitism comes from? Does anyone think that its vastly hypocritical for those on the left to criticize elitism on the one hand, but partake of the fruits of modern civilization on the other?

I'd say it's more the Right than the Left that criticizes elitism and intellectualism. See Sarah Palin for more info...
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#86  Postby NineOneFour » Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am

YanShen wrote:The Feynman number has often been asserted to be flawed. Steve Hsu argues that some tests have relatively low ceilings for math and verbal ability.

http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2008/07/an ... inent.html

Feynman's 124: in this context one often hears of Feynman's modest grade school IQ score of 124. To understand this score we have to remember that typical IQ tests (e.g., administered to public school children) tend to have low ceilings. They are not of the kind that Roe used in her study. One can imagine that the ceiling on Feynman's exam was roughly 135 (say, 99th percentile). If Feynman received the highest score on the mathematical portion, and a modest score of 115 on the verbal, we can easily understand the resulting average of 124. However, it is well known that Feynman was extremely strong mathematically. He was asked on short notice to take the Putnam exam for MIT as a senior, and received the top score in the country that year! On Roe's test Feynman's math score would presumably have been > 190, with a correspondingly higher composite IQ.

Steve Hsu is a fool who spends too much time caressing racist stereotypes.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#87  Postby NineOneFour » Jun 30, 2010 11:39 am

Mazille wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:
Mazille wrote:BUT, everyone has to assume that they are right in the first place and that the committee is only a formality anyway. That's how you elitists do that, right?

Don't underestimate the importance of formalising a formality though. Shall we take a vote? Can I get a second?

I second the motion.

Thirded.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#88  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 30, 2010 11:47 am

That's two secondings and two thirdings.

Who's going to go fourth.....

But quite honestly, if we can't even get the proposing and seconding right, what hope has this committee got?
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#89  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 30, 2010 11:48 am

I will......
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#90  Postby chairman bill » Jun 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:That's two secondings and two thirdings.

Who's going to go fourth.....

But quite honestly, if we can't even get the proposing and seconding right, what hope has this committee got?

We need more elites, obviously.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Well Scot appears to have passed the motion. Does anyone have any air freshener?

(We elites are not above a foray into scatological humour, wot?)
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#92  Postby alienpresence » Jun 30, 2010 1:27 pm

All human intellectual elites are hereby disbanded on account of being too dim. I would like to welcome my cat....if I knew where the blighter was.
To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. - Maximillien Robiespierre

alienpresence

Male

Print view this post

#93  Postby Dracena » Jun 30, 2010 6:33 pm

alienpresence wrote:All human intellectual elites are hereby disbanded on account of being too dim. I would like to welcome my cat....if I knew where the blighter was.

Oh just one last...

YanShen wrote:Boy, I can tell that some people on this forum would rather bite off their own arms than concede that certain individuals contribute disproportionately to human civilization.

Girl, I can tell that one individual in this thread would rather bite off his/her own arms than concede that we had never said that there aren't any people who contribute disproportionately to human civilization, but instead go on making shit arguments, creating strawmen and refuse to admit that the various groups deemed elites couldn't have contributed if it hadn't been for all the other people servicing their basic needs.

Oh that was a long sentence, I belive I should get a prize for that.
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Mazille » Jun 30, 2010 6:43 pm

There you go:

- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Dracena » Jun 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Mazille wrote:There you go:

:rofl: :thumbup:
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#96  Postby tuco » Jun 30, 2010 6:59 pm

I still fail to see how this so-called contribution to human civilization is measured.

Stalin, Michael Jackson, Jesus and Sennedjem .. who contributed more?

And until someone will prove that some/one of them contributed less/more, beyond the .. most people will agree .., I reserve my right to hold view that none of them contributed more/less than anyone else. Actually, I will go even further and claim such question is essentially nonsensical.

If we were to pick 1000 people out of 6 billion to survive a global catastrophe, sure, some of us would pick the so-called elites, and I can see their justification for such notion, but some of us would refuse to pick and insisted on a lottery for example and their justification for such notion is to me as valid.
tuco

Print view this post

#97  Postby YanShen » Jun 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Unlike your arguments nineonefour, Steve Hsu's arguments actually reflect a certain level of intelligence. You would of course expect that from someone who attended Caltech at the age of 16, later obtained his PhD in theoretical physics and became a Harvard Junior Fellow before eventually becoming a tenured professor in the field. And this on top of his having founded 2 start ups in Silicon Valley, one of which was bought out by Symantec in 2003.

You though are pretty good at calling other people names. If there was ever a PhD program for that, you'd ace the thesis defense. I've learned more about the art of name calling from you than from anyone else on this forum.
Last edited by YanShen on Jun 30, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Mazille » Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Now there's an argument from authority, if I ever saw one. :mrgreen:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#99  Postby YanShen » Jun 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Not really Mazille. If you examine what I wrote, I stated that first and foremost his arguments were reasonable, and that you'd expect that from someone intelligent. I never stated that he was first and foremost intelligent, and therefore his arguments were reasonable. You're imputing a causal link to my statement, where none exists.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Mazille » Jun 30, 2010 7:57 pm

YanShen wrote:Not really Mazille. If you examine what I wrote, I stated that first and foremost his arguments were reasonable, and that you'd expect that from someone intelligent. I never stated that he was first and foremost intelligent, and therefore his arguments were reasonable. You're imputing a causal link to my statement, where none exists.

Not at all. You stated that his arguments are reasonable, with no reason given as to why they should be considered as such and then went on to cite his credentials. Hence "Argument from authority".

I'm not saying that I disagree with him. In fact, I don't give two shits, but I wanted to point out your fallacy. Anyway, it's not like this has anything to do with the matter at hand. :cheers:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology