The Role of Intellectual Elites

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Role of Intellectual Elites

#61  Postby alienpresence » Jun 30, 2010 6:55 am

YanShen wrote:Boy, I can tell that some people on this forum would rather bite off their own arms than concede that certain individuals contribute disproportionately to human civilization.

Their the smart ones playing a shell game. :naughty2:
To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. - Maximillien Robiespierre

alienpresence

Male

Print view this post

#62  Postby NineBerry » Jun 30, 2010 8:59 am

It's like saying a football team doesn't need defenders and midfielders because the strikers shoot all the goals...

Not to mention the coaches, masseurs, water boys, football manufacturers, ....
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#63  Postby Mazille » Jun 30, 2010 9:14 am

NineBerry wrote:It's like saying a football team doesn't need defenders and midfielders because the strikers shoot all the goals...

Not to mention the coaches, masseurs, water boys, football manufacturers, ....

Vuvuzelas...
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#64  Postby chairman bill » Jun 30, 2010 9:36 am

YanShen wrote:Chairman Bill, you've been reported for a personal insult. Try to keep the discussion civil and impersonal.

Apologies, but when someone starts spouting insulting & inaccurate bollocks about 'the left', & 'left-wingers', as if we are some homogenous whole with no diversity of attitude & viewpoints, I think personal insult becomes fair. As a 'Leftist' & an academic with an IQ about four standard deviations above the mean, and having previously served with commando forces, I have no problem whatsoever with elites. But recognising the existence of elite groups & valuing their contributions to society is not the same as elitism.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#65  Postby natselrox » Jun 30, 2010 9:42 am

Intellectual snobs... As if we needed more of them. :duh:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#66  Postby alienpresence » Jun 30, 2010 9:55 am

We all know what happens to elites on the day they cease to deliver. Intellectual high flyers are very often individualistic to a excessive extent.
To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. - Maximillien Robiespierre

alienpresence

Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 30, 2010 9:58 am

Anybody else smell socks?

As another person with an IQ >4SD above the mean, I consider myself evidence of the falsity of the OP. I've contributed virtually nothing of value to society. Except my genes. :grin:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#68  Postby chairman bill » Jun 30, 2010 10:01 am

As for the role of 'elites', of any stripe, it should be to work towards the betterment of society.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 30, 2010 10:15 am

Preach it.

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Mazille » Jun 30, 2010 10:27 am

Made of Stars wrote:Anybody else smell socks?

As another person with an IQ >4SD above the mean, I consider myself evidence of the falsity of the OP. I've contributed virtually nothing of value to society. Except my genes. :grin:

Well, I wouldn't call selling your soul and subsequently sucking the soul of others dry until nothing but black, shrivelled husks remain "nothing". :ask:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 30, 2010 10:33 am

Mazille wrote:
Well, I wouldn't call selling your soul and subsequently sucking the soul of others dry until nothing but black, shrivelled husks remain "nothing". :ask:

Reported: this moderator comment on another moderator as a personal attack.

:lol:
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#72  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 30, 2010 10:37 am

I not moderator, so it's just bullying instead. :waah:

As for the soul-sucking remarks: :vampire:

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 30, 2010 10:40 am

Made of Stars wrote:I not moderator, so it's just bullying instead. :waah:

As for the soul-sucking remarks: :vampire:

So you aren't, MOS. Just goes to show how far behind the times I am! :mrgreen:
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#74  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 30, 2010 10:45 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:So you aren't, MOS. Just goes to show how far behind the times I am! :mrgreen:

It was time for some fresh intellectual elitists to make their mark on society. :smug:

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#75  Postby chairman bill » Jun 30, 2010 10:47 am

Er, I thought I was the Prince of Darkness & therefore the soul-sucker. Then again, I might have mis-heard the last bit ...
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 30, 2010 10:52 am

chairman bill wrote:Er, I thought I was the Prince of Darkness & therefore the soul-sucker. Then again, I might have mis-heard the last bit ...

We could establish a committee. That's another thing intellectual elites love. Or so my 'Simple fool's guide to being an arrogant prick' says.

The soul-sucking remark from Mazille is a reference to my occupation. He's just jealous because I didn't use my expense account to buy him more of his excellent Austrian beer.

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Mazille » Jun 30, 2010 11:02 am

Made of Stars wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Er, I thought I was the Prince of Darkness & therefore the soul-sucker. Then again, I might have mis-heard the last bit ...

We could establish a committee. That's another thing intellectual elites love. Or so my 'Simple fool's guide to being an arrogant prick' says.

BUT, everyone has to assume that they are right in the first place and that the committee is only a formality anyway. That's how you elitists do that, right?

Made of Stars wrote:The soul-sucking remark from Mazille is a reference to my occupation. He's just jealous because I didn't use my expense account to buy him more of his excellent Austrian beer.

Well, I honestly wouldn't have said no to some more beers with you, mate, but - alas - you were busy sucking souls. :cheers: You're welcome to come back any time, though. The next beer's on me.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 30, 2010 11:09 am

Mazille wrote:BUT, everyone has to assume that they are right in the first place and that the committee is only a formality anyway. That's how you elitists do that, right?

Don't underestimate the importance of formalising a formality though. Shall we take a vote? Can I get a second?

Mazille wrote:Well, I honestly wouldn't have said no to some more beers with you, mate, but - alas - you were busy sucking souls.

Trudat. Tasty morsels they were too.

Mazille wrote:You're welcome to come back any time, though. The next beer's on me.

I should be in Stockholm in September. That's near you, innit?

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Shrunk » Jun 30, 2010 11:18 am

YanShen wrote:It's sometimes been stated that the top 10% of society, from an intellectual perspective, contribute virtually everything of value. If we want to be even more precise, we might argue that only the top few percent of the IQ distribution make any real scientific contributions to humanity. For instance, Geoffrey Miller has argued that an IQ of roughly 130 is generally the cut-off point required for being able to make original scientific contributions. If one assumes a normal distribution for IQ with a mean of 100 and a SD of 15, this corresponds roughly to the top 2.275% of society at large. The bottom line is quite clear. A few people are carrying the vast majority of society on their backs, allowing them to enjoy the accouterments of modern civilization.

And yet the left frequently despises what it labels as elitism. I struggle mightily to understand this sentiment. When a few people work hard and utilize their intellects, making vastly disproportionate contributions to humanity, shouldn't they be revered rather than scorned? Can someone explain where this source of anti-elitism comes from? Does anyone think that its vastly hypocritical for those on the left to criticize elitism on the one hand, but partake of the fruits of modern civilization on the other?

It seems to me it is the right that is usually disparaging of "intellectual elites".

For instance:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzrUt9CHtpY[/youtube]
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 30, 2010 11:22 am

Made of Stars wrote:Don't underestimate the importance of formalising a formality though. Shall we take a vote? Can I get a second?

*Holds hand up* I formally second the proposal of the important step of taking a vote on the importance of formalising any formality that the committee - which may or may not be a formality - proposes.

:ask:
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology