The Tolkien Thread.

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Tolkien Thread.

#41  Postby Gawdzilla » Mar 09, 2010 11:24 pm

Weaver wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Anybody read Lord of the Rings?

I stopped counting how many times I'd read after # 25 - and that doesn't count picking up a book to re-read a particular passage or more.

I'm going through it right now, as a matter of fact - I'm preparing to deploy to A-stan, and find I always return to it just before I say goodbye to my book collection. (Although, this time at least, I'm bringing it in digital form).

I've also been reading The Hobbit to my granddaughter, though she's a little too young to pay attention still.

Of course, read many (if not all) of JRRT's other works, as well as the stuff published by his son (facinating the way some stories developed, and what stuff got left on the cutting room floor).

Be safe out there.

And if you run out of reading material, Google Books has a poo-poo load of stuff, some free, some not.
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#42  Postby tnjrp » Mar 10, 2010 5:44 am

j.mills wrote:They also had the best extras of any DVDs ever. I'm talking about the extended editions, of course.
Thou shalt not have other LOTR movies but the extended editions :pray:

Did go to the cineplex for the orinals myself tho. But the DVD versions are clearly superior.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Gawdzilla » Mar 10, 2010 10:38 am

tnjrp wrote:
j.mills wrote:They also had the best extras of any DVDs ever. I'm talking about the extended editions, of course.
Thou shalt not have other LOTR movies but the extended editions :pray:

Did go to the cineplex for the orinals myself tho. But the DVD versions are clearly superior.

I gave my theatrical releases away as soon the Ex-DVDs came out. Brenda and I watched the extras disk straight through each time. [/nerd]

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#44  Postby tnjrp » Mar 10, 2010 10:47 am

Gawdzilla wrote:Brenda and I watched the extras disk straight through each time. [/nerd]
I bow before your dork powers! Even I have not watched all of them on any release, tho I think my lifemate did sit through pretty much everything on The Fellowship of the Ring. Still, the bitz I did watch were very informative... Like the part where they show how the Uruk-Hai marching on the Helm's Deep past the jutting rock their leader climbs on to wave his sword/cleaver were all CGI puppets -- I though that scene was shot with actors :shock:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Gawdzilla » Mar 10, 2010 11:24 am

tnjrp wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Brenda and I watched the extras disk straight through each time. [/nerd]
I bow before your dork powers! Even I have not watched all of them on any release, tho I think my lifemate did sit through pretty much everything on The Fellowship of the Ring. Still, the bitz I did watch were very informative... Like the part where they show how the Uruk-Hai marching on the Helm's Deep past the jutting rock their leader climbs on to wave his sword/cleaver were all CGI puppets -- I though that scene was shot with actors :shock:

I drooled over the Weta parts. I knew they'd be doing some awesome stuff in the future once that technology was generally available, and they haven't disappointed. :thumbup:

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Jumbo » Mar 10, 2010 11:33 am

Brenda and I watched the extras disk straight through each time. [/nerd]

I've watched the lot too. I have a mini dvd player and watch a bit in bed and made it through the lot over a few weeks.

The sheer scale of the project is almost incoprehensible. The amount of work that is so subtle you may not notice is incredible too.

Th extras means i now have a clue about digital colour grading and it was interesting to see how it was used to emphasise actors lines by altering the lighting and colour on them as the delivered the lines.

As for the books i cant remember who many times i've read them. Currently i'm going through the Children of Hurin but the Silmarrilion is always on the go. The latter is IMO Tolkiens most interesting work and one i never tire of.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Gawdzilla » Mar 10, 2010 11:43 am

The movies were at times too good. The reason I say this that the hastily done bits really stand out for me. For example, the archer orcs at Isengard when the Ents attack. They have to keep to their backs to the camera because they've been very poorly made up. Definitely a third string effort there.

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Gawdzilla » Mar 10, 2010 11:53 am

The Lord of the Rings (1978)

I would definitely advise seeing this before you buy it.

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#49  Postby j.mills » Mar 10, 2010 10:50 pm

The extras brought home to me still further what a magnificent project those movies were. The interviewees were so enthusiastic, the crafting so meticulous and creative. They seriously make me feel good about what humanity can accomplish, with best efforts and right goodwill. Everyone involved was plainly working hell for leather: assembling chainmail by hand, ffs; carving Theoden's sigil on the inside of his armour(!); and painting thousands of tiny skulls for a momentary scene only in the extended version... We might measure the advance of civilisation by the extent to which we are able to offer employment of that calibre to the widest number, so that everyone can not merely survive but love what they are doing. I'd have been happy to be even the tea-boy for those movies! :dopey:
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Gawdzilla » Mar 11, 2010 12:12 am

My favorite secondary character was Cancer Boy, the head of the army at the Battle of the Pellinor. He was also the bull Uruk in the first movie and the Lord of the Nazgul. They used him. :hehe:

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#51  Postby drl2 » Mar 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:The Lord of the Rings (1978)

I haven't clicked that link but I'm guessing if I did I'd find a line of orcs singing "Where there's a whip, <crack!> there's a waaaay"... :)
drl2

Print view this post

#52  Postby Gawdzilla » Mar 11, 2010 5:20 pm

drl2 wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:The Lord of the Rings (1978)

I haven't clicked that link but I'm guessing if I did I'd find a line of orcs singing "Where there's a whip, <crack!> there's a waaaay"... :)

It has the WORST vision of Sam Gamgee I've ever heard of.

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#53  Postby virphen » Mar 11, 2010 7:59 pm

Doesn't it also end about 2/3rds of the way through the story?
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#54  Postby Gawdzilla » Mar 11, 2010 8:08 pm

virphen wrote:Doesn't it also end about 2/3rds of the way through the story?

At Helm's Deep.

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#55  Postby virphen » Mar 11, 2010 8:11 pm

Mmmmm, well that's a bit like stopping Star Wars at the end of Empire Strikes Back "fuck off, you're never going to find out what happens".

A little different when it's from a book though.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#56  Postby Gawdzilla » Mar 11, 2010 8:24 pm

virphen wrote:Mmmmm, well that's a bit like stopping Star Wars at the end of Empire Strikes Back "fuck off, you're never going to find out what happens".

A little different when it's from a book though.

Bakshi planned a three-parter, then money ran tight. He did Wizards and Fire and Ice, but never got the change up to do the last one. His option ran out before he could finish it.

But if you want truly crappy JRR, try the Rankin-Bass "Hobbit". :nono:

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#57  Postby j.mills » Mar 11, 2010 9:56 pm

I recall being impressed with the natural fluidity of movement in the animated effort. FWIW. :dunno:

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Gawdzilla » Mar 11, 2010 9:59 pm

j.mills wrote:I recall being impressed with the natural fluidity of movement in the animated effort. FWIW. :dunno:

They used too much rotogravure because they couldn't animate it all, no money. (Assuming you're talking about the Bakshi LOTR.)

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#59  Postby j.mills » Mar 11, 2010 10:04 pm

That's cheaper? Is it different to the two years of rotoscoping post-production they used on A Scanner Darkly?

(Yes, the Bakshi(?). Ironic name for someone who ran out of money - not very 'bakshi-ish'! Geddit? Geddit? :shifty: )

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Shaker » Mar 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Bakshi(?). Ironic name for someone who ran out of money - not very 'bakshi-ish'! Geddit? Geddit? :shifty: )

Oh dear :whistle:
To be boosted by an illusion is not to live better than to live in harmony with the truth ... these refusals to part with a decayed illusion are really an infection to the mind. - George Santayana
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment