XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

#121  Postby Mazille » May 23, 2013 12:12 pm

:rofl:

Kinect Causes Trouble for Viewers During Xbox One Reveal

Viewers watching the Xbox One reveal on their Xbox 360s were unpleasantly surprised when their active Kinects began responding to commands from the presentation.
[...]
Several viewers sporting 360s with connected Kinects discovered the device was responding to commands being spoken by Microsoft representatives during the live stream. Responses to the commands varied from the video being paused to the console itself being shut down.
[...]

Source

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#122  Postby mattthomas » May 23, 2013 12:14 pm

My biggest issue with games consoles turning into multi-media platforms is how they want to lock down the way you handle your media to their preconceived notions of how you should be doing it. Open up the platforms like android and to a lesser extend iOS and windows 8, let us develop our own apps.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#123  Postby Animavore » May 23, 2013 12:43 pm

mraltair wrote:I don't want to be on the phone while watching a film/TV/playing a game.

And let's not forget the elephant in the room here. When they say phone I'm presuming they mean their piece of crap phone.

They're trying to monoplise plain and simple.

I was in Gamespot today putting more money toward my PS4 and I asked the girl behind the counter if they'd seen a surge in PS4 pre-orders since Tuesday and sure enough, they had. Also as I waited for my turn in the queue her and the fella in front of me were taking the piss out of the One.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Jumbo » May 23, 2013 12:47 pm

From my understanding of RAM GDDR5 is good for gaming, hence the G. So I expect the PS4 to blow Microsoft away with graphics, but I also guess devs will make a game that works on the Xbox and then tweak it for the PS4 to keep a standard feel to the game leaving similar graphics for each release. Unless developers can afford to run two teams making the game that reaches the limit of both consoles individually.

The g stands for graphics. It doesn't mean the PS4 will blow any other machine away though. it depends upon how the software is written. if the game is CPU limited via a bottleneck in the code then the memory being great for graphics becomes irrelevant.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#125  Postby tuco » May 23, 2013 12:50 pm

mraltair wrote:
tuco wrote:Well yes, we all think something, we even present our reasons. We do not know HW specs, we've seen a couple of presentations without real substance, the consoles were not tested head to head and do not even sell yet and one of the giants lost battle already? Maybe battle, marketing battle, but not war. Lets get back to this thread in few years.

Actually, we know quite a lot about the Xbox and what sort of capability it will have. PS4 is still mostly unknown, we have numbers and a brief idea of process but from what we know, looking at the hardware, the Xbox has lost out. They have aimed towards a multimedia centre at the expense of gaming and we aren't even sure the TV capability will be that good. From what I've seen there is no DVR control, so you would have to switch to your set-top box to record or play anything you recorded.

Here's a good summary of the Xbox One specs.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... s-xbox-one

Yes, informative article and thanks for that. I guess I am no visionary then since I do not see why next XBOX will lose to PS4 so badly as some in this thread seem to like to believe. /shrugs
tuco

Print view this post

#126  Postby Animavore » May 23, 2013 12:52 pm

mraltair wrote:

From my understanding of RAM GDDR5 is good for gaming, hence the G. So I expect the PS4 to blow Microsoft away with graphics, but I also guess devs will make a game that works on the Xbox and then tweak it for the PS4 to keep a standard feel to the game leaving similar graphics for each release. Unless developers can afford to run two teams making the game that reaches the limit of both consoles individually.

Well the exclusives certainly will blow them out of the water. Looking forward to games from Guerilla, Santa Monica Studios and Naughty Dog in NextGen.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#127  Postby mraltair » May 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Jumbo wrote:

The g stands for graphics. It doesn't mean the PS4 will blow any other machine away though. it depends upon how the software is written. if the game is CPU limited via a bottleneck in the code then the memory being great for graphics becomes irrelevant.

A greater graphics capability gives developers more to play with. The Xbox One has less than the PS4, meaning if developers want to create graphically intensive games they will make them exclusive to the PS4 leading to the PS4 having the best looking and graphically intensive games. The CPUs are rumoured to be similar so whatever the One can do the PS4 can do just as well with the added benefit of a meatier GPU.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#128  Postby mraltair » May 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Animavore wrote:
mraltair wrote:I don't want to be on the phone while watching a film/TV/playing a game.

And let's not forget the elephant in the room here. When they say phone I'm presuming they mean their piece of crap phone.

Skype I believe, yes. I also doubt they will allow any other VOIP product on the Xbox without paying through the nose for the privilege. Skype is the product to use for online calls though so I doubt anyone will care about that.

Microsoft has had a lot of practice in creating monopolies.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Animavore » May 23, 2013 1:55 pm

mraltair wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Skype I believe, yes. I also doubt they will allow any other VOIP product on the Xbox without paying through the nose for the privilege. Skype is the product to use for online calls though so I doubt anyone will care about that.

No, I mean when they say it integrates with your phone (I think you can even control stuff with your phone) they mean phones using Windows, which no one buys.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#130  Postby mraltair » May 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Animavore wrote:
mraltair wrote:
Animavore wrote:

No, I mean when they say it integrates with your phone (I think you can even control stuff with your phone) they mean phones using Windows, which no one buys.

Ah, I see. I hadn't heard that.

So you can control the TV, using your phone, through your Xbox? Why not use the remote. MS aren't even trying to make sense anymore.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#131  Postby Jumbo » May 23, 2013 2:07 pm

A greater graphics capability gives developers more to play with. The Xbox One has less than the PS4, meaning if developers want to create graphically intensive games they will make them exclusive to the PS4 leading to the PS4 having the best looking and graphically intensive games. The CPUs are rumoured to be similar so whatever the One can do the PS4 can do just as well with the added benefit of a meatier GPU.

The main difference between DDR and GDDR is bandwidth. For quite a lot of types of games that may not be as relevant as many other factors. My CPU point is that if a game has a bottleneck that is due to some CPU process then the other factors are irrelevant. AI and a variety of other elements are becoming increasingly important and will make up a ever increasing element of a games performance. GDDR isn't going to help that all that much. When you have a CPU or other bottleneck the meatier GPU stands idle and provides no extra benefit. Its not a case of automatically giving developers more to play with.

If developers want to make graphically intensive games they will do so on whatever platform their publisher tells them to. They might have to be more inventive in technique on one platform or another but no publisher will ditch making money on a given platform if there is even a sniff of cash there. When there have been exclusives for one platform or another the reasons are business driven rather than technology driven when you look at platforms of a similar generation.

2. Think very hard.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#132  Postby mraltair » May 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Jumbo wrote:

The main difference between DDR and GDDR is bandwidth. For quite a lot of types of games that may not be as relevant as many other factors. My CPU point is that if a game has a bottleneck that is due to some CPU process then the other factors are irrelevant. AI and a variety of other elements are becoming increasingly important and will make up a ever increasing element of a games performance. GDDR isn't going to help that all that much. When you have a CPU or other bottleneck the meatier GPU stands idle and provides no extra benefit. Its not a case of automatically giving developers more to play with.

If developers want to make graphically intensive games they will do so on whatever platform their publisher tells them to. They might have to be more inventive in technique on one platform or another but no publisher will ditch making money on a given platform if there is even a sniff of cash there. When there have been exclusives for one platform or another the reasons are business driven rather than technology driven when you look at platforms of a similar generation.

I agree with all of that. I just mean having the extra helps. Of course if your bottleneck isn't graphics or memory related then the two platforms will react the same regardless of their differences in those areas.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Animavore » May 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Apparently the PS4 has no performance bottlenecks, if the guy from Guerilla Games is to be believed.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/killzone_ ... loper.html

Don't know if this is related to what you're talking about.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Jumbo » May 23, 2013 2:28 pm

What i am talking about is where the demands (to the hardware) of the software in one area mean that other bits of hardware sit idle.

The article makes the point that the hardware is balanced. So its not a case of a screaming fast graphics system attached to a knackers old 70s TI calculator or anything like that. The issue comes though when software is written. Having balanced hardware means you don't have to work around deficiencies in any particular area which is nice. Its still possible to introduce bottlenecks though.

I'm more familiar with PC games so will give an example from there. Falcon 4.0 was (and still is) an immense game. For the time its graphics were fantastic. One of the issues it did have was an occasional stutter in frame rate. People spent ages trying to figure it out and people got bigger and better graphics cards only to find things no better. It turned out the problem was a CPU bottle neck. The game simulated a war on the whole Korean peninsula. Obviously as you flew you had to be able to see individual trucks etc. But simulating those over all over Korea was impossible. What the game did was outside of your 'bubble' it just simulated groups of vehicles but when you got near it then divided the simulated groups up making individual vehicles etc. This was a very cpu intensive process and would stall the rendering of the next frames for a few milliseconds or so. Having the greatest graphics hardware in the world wouldn't stop it. DDR or GDDR would make little difference. Of course its better to have it than not but i think too often in comparisons of consoles people compare hardware in a check list fashion and if one element is better than the other consoles then it automatically means one is far superior. The system as a whole is the thing that matters and if the article you linked to is correct and the hardware plays nicely together then the PS4 looks set to do very well.

2. Think very hard.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Animavore » May 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Ah, I see. Having an example does help :thumbup:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Animavore » May 24, 2013 10:10 am

:shock:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-exte ... ge/0116138
ExtremeTech reports that Microsoft has filed for a patent that allows Kinect to monitor the number of viewers in the room. It then cross-checks this with the maximum number of viewers permitted by the licence that a user agrees to when purchasing or renting content.

If it is deemed that too many people are present, the user will be prompted to pay an additional fee to upgrade the licence.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#137  Postby trubble76 » May 24, 2013 10:17 am

Animavore wrote::shock:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-exte ... ge/0116138
ExtremeTech reports that Microsoft has filed for a patent that allows Kinect to monitor the number of viewers in the room. It then cross-checks this with the maximum number of viewers permitted by the licence that a user agrees to when purchasing or renting content.

If it is deemed that too many people are present, the user will be prompted to pay an additional fee to upgrade the licence.

Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Play the DVD, HAL.
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
What's the problem?
I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#138  Postby Mazille » May 24, 2013 10:57 am

It doesn't help the fact that the Kinect looks like HAL with a black contact lense.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Animavore » May 24, 2013 10:57 am

Animavore wrote:Image
A most evolved electron.