XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

#101  Postby Animavore » May 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Shit! I just realised something. If you have to install a game to your HDD and activate it to play it then that means you can't use an XBOX without d'internet surely!
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Mazille » May 22, 2013 8:00 pm

It said that it needs to check in every 24 hours anyway. So no internet connection, no Xbone for you, matey.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Animavore » May 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Dumb-assses!
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#104  Postby tuco » May 22, 2013 8:03 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
Jumbo wrote:
So apparantly, all games have to be installed onto the HDD. And each game is tied to only one Xbox Live account. And if the game finds itself being played on a different Xbox Live account, then that person has to pay a fee.

Reminds me of steam on a PC apart from the bit about being able to play it on a 2nd account for a fee. Steam doesn't let you play at all on another account.

As far as I understand the Xbox One will allow you to play on the same machine as the Live Account is tied to.

I.e. My girlfriends account which is tied to the same Xbox will not have to pay a fee. My mate with another xbox will not have to pay a fee if I download my account to play locally with him. As soon as I log off, he may have to pay a fee.

Microsoft and Sony are both being well cagey regarding this, with the honest answer when you read between the lines being "we've yet to strike a deal with publishing companies over this." And there's nothing, nothing, to stop either Sony or Microsoft welshing 6 months after launch on any agreement not to charge a fee for pre-played games. It may come down to certain publishers will turn your physical game into a shiny beermat once you've played, others will be more forgiving. One thing is for certain it's only in the retailers and the gamers interests to leave things as the status quo.

My guess, both companies will dither and give no real information trying to force the other to make the statement first. It's just a case of calculating the risk of profits from resale against losing console sales to your competitor.

Well said in my opinion. They could even be trolling us, gathering feedback. There is big money involved. In the US the rental/used game market is huge and without control. Trying to sell next gen while giving away what kind of milking they have in mind would not be business wise.
tuco

Print view this post

#105  Postby tuco » May 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Here's What People in Japan Think of Xbox One

[snip]

"I wonder how Americans are gaming at home. Whenever I'm playing a game, I never feel like I want to watch TV, so the ability to switch between the two makes no sense to me."

[snip]

As mentioned above, one of the nicknames for the "Xbox One"—a nickname that seems to have started on Twitter—is the Japanese word for "divorced". The shortened "X1" can be read as "batsuichi" (バツイチ), which is literally "one x" and means "once divorced".

[snip]

http://kotaku.com/heres-what-people-in- ... -509246328
tuco

Print view this post

#106  Postby Animavore » May 23, 2013 7:52 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Mazille » May 23, 2013 8:01 am

Funny how Iran seems to be the only Xbone country I can see.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Animavore » May 23, 2013 8:03 am

I should point that on Tuesday the scores were fairly even. That bit's important.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#109  Postby mraltair » May 23, 2013 9:28 am

Mazille wrote:Funny how Iran seems to be the only Xbone country I can see.

Also, Nicaragua, Sri Lanka, Albania and Macedonia.

M$ has won this gen then. :grin:

ETA: Not a single Xbox country now.

http://uk.gamespot.com/twitter-battle/xbox-vs-ps4/
Last edited by mraltair on May 23, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#110  Postby Mazille » May 23, 2013 9:30 am

You're right. Didn't see them. The picture is quite small.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#111  Postby tuco » May 23, 2013 9:32 am

The only thing important is how both consoles will sell and if they will sell according to those graphs I will convert to Seventh-day Adventists ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#112  Postby mraltair » May 23, 2013 9:46 am

Well I was on the fence till I had seen the Xbox reveal and it just confirmed me to get a PS4. I have a TV already, I have a remote to change between my TV, PC and console, I don't want to be on the phone while watching a film/TV/playing a game. The Xbox One has nothing that interests me in the slightest. Even their boasts of the same amount of RAM as the PS4 is weak because developers get access to 2GB less* than they do for the PS4, it's slower RAM too, and I believe a weaker GPU?

In my opinion and for my situation the Xbox One has lost out to the PS4 in every single round. I know from a few other forums and friends that this is a common feeling and MS have lost many 360 owners for the next gen. I guess they are hoping for people that haven't owned a 360 or PS3 to buy the Xbox One for all it's TV crap. But why would they by a games console if they aren't interested in games?

It makes no business sense to me. Microsoft seem to not care any more, judging by them abandoning their bread and butter market in enterprise OSes with the release of Windows 8 and now them abandoning gamers in the gaming market.

*Xbox One reserves 3GB for OS, PS4 1GB.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Mazille » May 23, 2013 9:48 am

They just so desperately want to be Apple.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#114  Postby tuco » May 23, 2013 9:59 am

Well yes, we all think something, we even present our reasons. We do not know HW specs, we've seen a couple of presentations without real substance, the consoles were not tested head to head and do not even sell yet and one of the giants lost battle already? Maybe battle, marketing battle, but not war. Lets get back to this thread in few years.
tuco

Print view this post

#115  Postby OnkelCannabia » May 23, 2013 10:08 am

mraltair wrote: it's slower RAM too.

DDR3 has less bandwidth but better latency. It depends on each individual situation which one s faster, but GDDR5 is the better choice for most (after all they paid a lot of money to have GDDR5).
OnkelCannabia

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#116  Postby mraltair » May 23, 2013 10:10 am

tuco wrote:Well yes, we all think something, we even present our reasons. We do not know HW specs, we've seen a couple of presentations without real substance, the consoles were not tested head to head and do not even sell yet and one of the giants lost battle already? Maybe battle, marketing battle, but not war. Lets get back to this thread in few years.

Actually, we know quite a lot about the Xbox and what sort of capability it will have. PS4 is still mostly unknown, we have numbers and a brief idea of process but from what we know, looking at the hardware, the Xbox has lost out. They have aimed towards a multimedia centre at the expense of gaming and we aren't even sure the TV capability will be that good. From what I've seen there is no DVR control, so you would have to switch to your set-top box to record or play anything you recorded.

Here's a good summary of the Xbox One specs.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... s-xbox-one
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Jumbo » May 23, 2013 10:13 am

Animavore wrote:
Microsoft won't let indies self-publish on Xbox One

In contrast to Sony with its PlayStation Store, Nintendo with its eShop and Valve with Steam, Microsoft won't let independent developers self-publish on Xbox One.

Thats another pretty craptastic move IMO.

They have gradually been moving away from independant developers and especially the people who are one man bands knocking up games. We used to have XNA a rather nice library from writing games simply and then could publish XBox and PC games via MS online content delivery stuff. Well they ditched XNA altogether and future Direct X support for some languages sounds like it might be all over the place.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#118  Postby mraltair » May 23, 2013 10:15 am

OnkelCannabia wrote:
mraltair wrote: it's slower RAM too.

DDR3 has less bandwidth but better latency. It depends on each individual situation which one s faster, but GDDR5 is the better choice for most (after all they paid a lot of money to have GDDR5).

From the article I just linked to they mentioned exactly that. It also mentions MS were expecting the PS4 to have 4GB, leaving the type of memory irrelevant.

From my understanding of RAM GDDR5 is good for gaming, hence the G. So I expect the PS4 to blow Microsoft away with graphics, but I also guess devs will make a game that works on the Xbox and then tweak it for the PS4 to keep a standard feel to the game leaving similar graphics for each release. Unless developers can afford to run two teams making the game that reaches the limit of both consoles individually.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#119  Postby aban57 » May 23, 2013 11:49 am

aban57 wrote:No retro-compatibility, meaning you'll have to pay a second time to play the games you already own. And they dare to complain about second-hand games...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/22/don-mattrick-backwards-compatibility/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

How can you not hate Microsoft with this kind of policy ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#120  Postby DarthHelmet86 » May 23, 2013 12:07 pm

aban57 wrote:
aban57 wrote:No retro-compatibility, meaning you'll have to pay a second time to play the games you already own. And they dare to complain about second-hand games...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/22/don-mattrick-backwards-compatibility/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

How can you not hate Microsoft with this kind of policy ?

What the guy said is stupid, it not being backward compatible isn't. The architecture is just too different to really allow it to be.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games