XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

#441  Postby Ironclad » Jun 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Reported over at Giantbomb too. (link removed)

Multiple sources inform me Microsoft will announce what amounts to a complete reversal on its DRM policies for Xbox One today.

What does this mean?

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#442  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 19, 2013 9:46 pm

:grin:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#443  Postby willhud9 » Jun 19, 2013 9:50 pm

However seeing how a buggy giantbomb link is the only verification of that source material, we shall see.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#444  Postby tuco » Jun 19, 2013 9:53 pm

purplerat wrote:
tuco wrote:/me pets purplerat

Gotta be vocal I guess .. remember Lenin.

Fuck it, I'll just stick with the PC. It took Sony and MS most of a decade to make the last gens financially viable enough to put out another gen and there was speculation early on that one or both might even drop out. If they continue to drag their feet it's inevitable that consoles as we know them will get technologically passed by and made obsolete. Most likely true cloud gaming will be here before the end of this gen of consoles and neither company seems to be position itself favorably for that shift, nevermind actually trying to usher it forward.

Pyrrhic victory but as before MS could be just trolling us. DRM of downloaded content is an issue whether we realize/like it or not. To end the debate by restating status quo does not solve much. Still a couple of months to launch and terms, unlike hardware, can change at will. Disk in the tray .. who loves to roam, may lose his home.
tuco

Print view this post

#445  Postby Ironclad » Jun 19, 2013 10:42 pm

willhud9 wrote:However seeing how a buggy giantbomb link is the only verification of that source material, we shall see.

OK Will, here it is from the horse's mouth.

I removed that failed link above, ta.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#446  Postby willhud9 » Jun 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Ironclad wrote:
willhud9 wrote:However seeing how a buggy giantbomb link is the only verification of that source material, we shall see.

OK Will, here it is from the horse's mouth.

I removed that failed link above, ta.

Thanks! I also just saw that after posting what I did was like man I feel foolish :P
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#447  Postby Mazille » Jun 19, 2013 11:25 pm

So 24-hour check-ins, restrictive DRM and all that other shit wasn't actually necessary for anything, like this mystical "Cloud" I keep hearing about? Why, I never... :coffee:
As far as I can see, HAL 9000 is still required for the thing to run, though, right?
Last edited by Mazille on Jun 19, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#448  Postby Animavore » Jun 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Yep.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#449  Postby Mazille » Jun 19, 2013 11:39 pm

They really must think everyone else is just a big, drooling heap of retards.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#450  Postby tuco » Jun 20, 2013 12:34 am

The show must go on .. ?

The Xbox One Believers

I came to E3 this year in search of good news about the Xbox One. By week’s end, I found a few men able to tell me some.

[snip]

Kotaku: There was a sense of anxiety about privacy and Kinect? You feel though that this Kinect is going to be something that gamers like.

Spencer: That's why I explicitly wrote the paper on privacy. You are going to control the data that Kinect is capturing. You are going to control where that data goes. That's important to us.

Kotaku: Ultimately how do you think this is going to play out? You have people thinking, Sony is a hundred dollars cheaper, Microsoft has built up a lot of negative reaction, that this is going to be a troubling launch over you. I'm sure you have moments of doubt, but what do you expect to have play out for you guys?

Spencer: I don't know if you'll like the answer. Because I'm the content guy, I start with the content we put forward. Gamers play games. And I think we have, and this isn't really a first-party comment, but I'll look all up at the content we showed on stage, I think we have an incredibly strong library of content.

And we built a box and the capability that makes that content unique to our device and our ecosystem, whether it's supporting Kinect, whether it's online and how the gameplay like Titanfall happens, if it's functionality around SmartGlass and connection to other devices.

I see the creators interested in the platform that we're putting forward. We have Ted Price on our stage for the first time. He knows the platform we're building. Vince, he knows the platform we're building. And I think gamers play great games and I feel really good about the games we're putting forward.

We do need to tell our complete story. Policy is not the reason somebody goes out and buys something. They fall in love—hopefully they fall in love—with the value prop that you have. We need to tell that story completely. I think when we tell that story completely, people will understand the advantages.

We're trying to manage the transition, because we understand console gaming is physical today, for the most part. Secondary is important. People want to be able to gift their discs. I understand the lending scenario is important as well, so we're working through that transition. But I just look at the world of any other device that I own, and the digital media to me has advantages. As I think about a box that is going to be in the market for a long time, I need to think forward about the ecosystem and how it's going to turn out. We need to make the right trade-offs.

[snip]

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-believers-513819282

Whatever.
tuco

Print view this post

#451  Postby aban57 » Jun 20, 2013 5:37 am

bande de guignols...

sorry, I don't know any expression pejorative enough in English...
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#452  Postby mraltair » Jun 20, 2013 6:37 am

That actually makes the xbone worth considering. Shame I have already decided to go with the PS4. Maybe in a few years time when they release the 4th version of the xbone I'll consider getting it.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#453  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jun 20, 2013 9:03 am

Hmm... that throws things slightly more open. No way I'm touching it or the PS4 until Thief, Witcher 3, and Elder Scrolls Online have been released though. When I see how much it would cost to run those near enough fully speced on a PC I'll make my call.

Not that it's a huge loss, but with Dragon Age 3 announced I'd loose my old save game data for bioware games if I jumped ship, that's only an issue assuming there's some way of transferring that data to the Xbone.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#454  Postby DoctorE » Jun 20, 2013 3:19 pm

DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#455  Postby Animavore » Jun 20, 2013 3:26 pm

"Any chance of getting a 'fuck off' button, Sony?" :lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#456  Postby tuco » Jun 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Xbox One re-overtakes PS4 on Amazon bestseller charts

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one ... ts/0117431
---

I am not sure what to think of those hmm pre-orders.
tuco

Print view this post

#457  Postby mraltair » Jun 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Finally MS did something beneficial for all parties involved. I doubt it will hurt the PS4 much though.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#458  Postby Mazille » Jun 21, 2013 8:23 pm

I don't read or watch this guy's stuff all that often and when I do, I usually half-agree with him at best. Sometimes though, he produces a gem.
Well said, my man. Well said. :clap:
Well, that didn't take long.

After weeks of standing staunchly behind a set of decisions and plans for their Xbox One console that were so bafflingly, brazenly, obtusely anti-consumer that it even stood out in the videogame industry and drew fire even from pretty much everyone, Microsoft has backed down. The Xbox One has dropped, among things, its draconian anti-used games restrictions, its various DRM schemes and - perhaps most egregious - it's de facto always online requirements.

[...]

This is, for a change, not a victory of one soulless corporate machine over another. This is a victory for the gamers - for the consumers. Let's be perfectly clear about this. The draconian anti-consumer measures that were up until about two days ago encoded into the very DNA of the Xbox One are all measures that would be incredibly beneficial to both console manufacturers and the mainstream, big budget AAA publishing model that sustains them. It's not for nothing that a certain Gears of War honcho been all over social media and the gaming press stumping for it. Sony may have (correctly) intuited that gamers were going to revolt against Microsoft for actually pulling the trigger on this horror show, but make no mistake; if they thought they could get away with it, they'd have done the same thing (so would Nintendo, assuming they could bring themselves to acknowledge that The Internet exists).

[...]

Source
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#459  Postby tuco » Jun 21, 2013 8:43 pm

Indeed, honcho :)

'Sony forced Microsoft's hand, not the internet whining', says Bleszinski

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/41 ... leszinski/
---

Apparently, opinions vary. I have yet to learn how to measure these things .. perfectly clear .. what a dream come through to know. Whether or not the policy was anti-customer is irrelevant to the fact that some customers have lost benefits offered by initial terms. Its the digital customers who did not have problem being online, but we've been through this several times. Its also those customers who do not care either way or/and do not follow, those millions, but lets not go there. Essentially, all interpretations are fiction.

Anyone thinking MS did not have plan B and probably C and lets make this perfectly clear is naive. Make no mistake MS will get their money either way and so will their evil comrade EA and also their mascot leprechaun GameStop. Anyone thinking s/he won anything except an empty box knows nothing about honchos.
tuco

Print view this post

#460  Postby Mazille » Jun 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Cliffy "Fullofshit" B? Fuck him too. I'm sure he now regrets having Microsoft's cock up his ass for this long, but in the end he was fine with that for years.

And what benefits exactly have costumers lost?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games