'Everyone can believe in God.'

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 'Everyone can believe in God.'

#281  Postby CookieJon » Mar 07, 2011 9:53 am

Fallible wrote:
michael^3 wrote:
z8000783 wrote:

Well, that's all the advise I had to give really. Talking to god is an act of belief. So you just do it, and see where it leads you.
Rather than giving advise perhaps you could tell something about your experience to help us understand.

John

They were nothing remotely spectacular. Just insights into myself that made life easier for me.

So you had a perfectly normal everday experience that believer and non-believer alike have all the time, and have decided that this was from God. You thought, apparently, that adding another layer of complexity to your experience helped you somehow. Good for you. Once again, that is because you interpreted your mundane experience a certain way, and you interpreted it that way and no other due to your already existing belief. That means everyone can do it how?

And I can believe insights into Michael would be nothing remotely spectacular, as he says. :mrgreen:
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#282  Postby z8000783 » Mar 07, 2011 9:55 am

That's uncalled for.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#283  Postby Fallible » Mar 07, 2011 9:57 am

Hey come on now, let's keep the blows above the equator.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#284  Postby CookieJon » Mar 07, 2011 10:34 am

Yes that didn't really help did it. What was I thinking? :nono:

Sorry Michael, it was a very cheap shot.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#285  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Fallible wrote:So you had a perfectly normal everday experience that believer and non-believer alike have all the time, and have decided that this was from God. You thought, apparently, that adding another layer of complexity to your experience helped you somehow. Good for you. Once again, that is because you interpreted your mundane experience a certain way, and you interpreted it that way and no other due to your already existing belief. That means everyone can do it how?

You're right that this does not answer the question of the OP "can anyone believe in God?"

To return to this question... even if you have a hard time believing that god is real, you can still talk to god (i.e. pray), which is an act of belief. The moment you pray, you are believing in god.
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#286  Postby Fallible » Mar 07, 2011 1:39 pm

michael^3 wrote:
Fallible wrote:So you had a perfectly normal everday experience that believer and non-believer alike have all the time, and have decided that this was from God. You thought, apparently, that adding another layer of complexity to your experience helped you somehow. Good for you. Once again, that is because you interpreted your mundane experience a certain way, and you interpreted it that way and no other due to your already existing belief. That means everyone can do it how?

You're right that this does not answer the question of the OP "can anyone believe in God?"

To return to this question... even if you have a hard time believing that god is real, you can still talk to god (i.e. pray), which is an act of belief. The moment you pray, you are believing in god.

I see. So even if you cannot believe, you just believe. Thank you for that gem, michael.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#287  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Fallible wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

I see. So even if you cannot believe, you just believe. Thank you for that gem, michael.

You can pray as surely as you can push a chair or recite a poem. It's an action.
michael^3

Print view this post

#288  Postby chairman bill » Mar 07, 2011 1:51 pm

michael^3 wrote:... The moment you pray, you are believing in god.

Er, not quite. For instance, I might choose to act as if I believed, as an experiment to see whether one or other claim about the power of prayer was justified. For instance, if a believer told me that prayer was always answered, and that if I called on God, he would answer, I might try it out of curiosity, without any belief beforehand.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#289  Postby Paul » Mar 07, 2011 1:55 pm

michael^3 wrote:You can pray as surely as you can push a chair or recite a poem. It's an action.

That does not demonstrate belief, just wishful thinking.

I can watch a penalty kick being taken in a rugby match and utter under my breath "please go in", but I'm not uttering a prayer to any sort of god, just hope for the desired outcome. It doesn't indicate any form of belief on my part that some omnipotent 'thing' is going to move the trajectory of the ball to achieve the desired result.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#290  Postby Fallible » Mar 07, 2011 1:55 pm

michael^3 wrote:
Fallible wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

You can pray as surely as you can push a chair or recite a poem. It's an action.

But you said that when you pray you believe in God. So what you are saying is that if you cannot believe in God, just believe in God.

Of course this is aside from the fact that prayer is not belief in a god. It's just another word for contemplation, meditation and so on, and anyone, whether believer or not, can do it. It is simply that pesky ole interpretation of yours which has prayer pinned as something with a specific meaning which requires a pre-existing belief in God.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#291  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Fallible wrote:
michael^3 wrote:
Fallible wrote:

But you said that when you pray you believe in God. So what you are saying is that if you cannot believe in God, just believe in God.

Of course this is aside from the fact that prayer is not belief in a god. It's just another word for contemplation, meditation and so on, and anyone, whether believer or not, can do it. It is simply that pesky ole interpretation of yours which has prayer pinned as something with a specific meaning which requires a pre-existing belief in God.

Is there anything else you can pray to, except god?
michael^3

Print view this post

#292  Postby z8000783 » Mar 07, 2011 6:13 pm

I am still not clear if you are saying that every realisation you have is due to God communicating with you or do you have some of your own?

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#293  Postby MattHunX » Mar 07, 2011 6:19 pm

michael^3 wrote:
Fallible wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

Sure there is. :)

Thousands of other gods and guardian animal spirits.

Of course, praying to any of those, including your specific god, will have the same result. NOTHING. If the troubled person manages to sort out their problems, however, they will likely convince themselves that their prayers were answered, and instead of patting themselves on the back and getting some self-esteem, they grovel on their knees some more, and revel in make-belief and the comforting fantasy that supposed maker of the universe cares about their personal life (when millions of children die from famine and disease).

It's interesting how such beliefs make one both arrogant (arrogant enough to think they're so important in the eyes of a supposed creator), but still pathetic enough to plead for favors at the same time. Go figure. :dunno:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#294  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2011 6:29 pm

z8000783 wrote:I am still not clear if you are saying that every realisation you have is due to God communicating with you or do you have some of your own?

John

What does it mean to have "your own" realisation. Do you compute them, or do they happen to you? I am not sure about this.
michael^3

Print view this post

#295  Postby Paul » Mar 07, 2011 6:30 pm

michael^3 wrote:Is there anything else you can pray to, except god?

I thought I'd answered that, two posts before you asked it. :dunno:
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#296  Postby Fallible » Mar 07, 2011 6:34 pm

michael^3 wrote:
Fallible wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

We're back to your interpretation again. You think prayer involves appealing to a creator being because that is what you already believe. 'Prayer' is essentially the same as meditation or contemplation or wishing on a fucking star. Any 'answers' that you receive are interpreted by you to come from God, but the reality is probably that you came up with them yourself. So unless we all believe as you do, what you say prayer is has no bearing on anything.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#297  Postby Fallible » Mar 07, 2011 6:36 pm

michael^3 wrote:
z8000783 wrote:I am still not clear if you are saying that every realisation you have is due to God communicating with you or do you have some of your own?

John

What does it mean to have "your own" realisation. Do you compute them, or do they happen to you? I am not sure about this.

Perhaps when you answer his question, he will answer yours.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#298  Postby z8000783 » Mar 07, 2011 6:37 pm

michael^3 wrote:

John

You said earlier that when you have insights then that was God communicating with you. I was asking you if, every time you have some sort of insight, whatever that may mean to you then, that was down to God or whether there were occasions when you have insights, as we all do at some time or another, and it was not due to God talking to you?

Hope that's clear now.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#299  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2011 6:40 pm

Paul wrote:
michael^3 wrote:You can pray as surely as you can push a chair or recite a poem. It's an action.

That does not demonstrate belief, just wishful thinking.

I can watch a penalty kick being taken in a rugby match and utter under my breath "please go in", but I'm not uttering a prayer to any sort of god, just hope for the desired outcome. It doesn't indicate any form of belief on my part that some omnipotent 'thing' is going to move the trajectory of the ball to achieve the desired result.

Can you imagine how exasperated god sometimes becomes when he sees all those prayers come in for totally stupid things like rugby scores? :lol:
michael^3

Print view this post

#300  Postby Fallible » Mar 07, 2011 6:42 pm

:picard:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity