'Everyone can believe in God.'

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 'Everyone can believe in God.'

#301  Postby z8000783 » Mar 07, 2011 6:42 pm

God gets exasperated? You know this?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#302  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2011 6:44 pm

z8000783 wrote:
michael^3 wrote:
z8000783 wrote:I am still not clear if you are saying that every realisation you have is due to God communicating with you or do you have some of your own?

John

What does it mean to have "your own" realisation. Do you compute them, or do they happen to you? I am not sure about this.

You said earlier that when you have insights then that was God communicating with you. I was asking you if, every time you have some sort of insight, whatever that may mean to you then, that was down to God or whether there were occasions when you have insights, as we all do at some time or another, and it was not due to God talking to you?

Hope that's clear now.

John

I believe, but this is just a belief so please don't shoot me for it, that if you ask god earnestly about the questions that really bother you, he will set up circumstances that enable you to have the insight that you want.
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#303  Postby Paul » Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm

z8000783 wrote:God gets exasperated? You know this?

John

I know sometimes I fucking get exasperated, and right now is one of those times!
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#304  Postby z8000783 » Mar 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Paul wrote:

John

I know sometimes I fucking get exasperated, and right now is one of those times!

So I have some evidence for that then.

John
Last edited by z8000783 on Mar 07, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#305  Postby Fallible » Mar 07, 2011 6:49 pm

God getting exasperated...huh...it's almost like he doesn't anticipate us doing the stuff we do, almost like he doesn't know everything.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#306  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Fallible wrote:God getting exasperated...huh...it's almost like he doesn't anticipate us doing the stuff we do, almost like he doesn't know everything.

I do know everything, including the fact that I don't exist. trust me.

[Delievered though the medium of Darwinsbulldog]. :) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#307  Postby z8000783 » Mar 07, 2011 6:55 pm

michael^3 wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

What does it mean to have "your own" realisation. Do you compute them, or do they happen to you? I am not sure about this.

You said earlier that when you have insights then that was God communicating with you. I was asking you if, every time you have some sort of insight, whatever that may mean to you then, that was down to God or whether there were occasions when you have insights, as we all do at some time or another, and it was not due to God talking to you?

Hope that's clear now.

John

I believe, but this is just a belief so please don't shoot me for it, ...

I don't have a problem with you having a belief I am simply curious as to what your justification is for having it, that's all. Beliefs are the things that we hold to be true so I assume that like me, you don't hold your beliefs lightly or for no reason.

michael^3 wrote:... that if you ask god earnestly about the questions that really bother you, he will set up circumstances that enable you to have the insight that you want.

Fair enough that's clear however, what I was asking was whether there are occasions when you have insights that result from something you are doing but where you didn't ask God to help you?

John
Last edited by z8000783 on Mar 07, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#308  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2011 6:57 pm

John

Well he gets 4000 prayers for the ball to drop into the goal, and 4700 prayers for the ball not to drop into the goal. So what is god supposed to do when people ask conflicting things?
michael^3

Print view this post

#309  Postby z8000783 » Mar 07, 2011 6:59 pm

And as a result of that decision he has to make, you know that God gets exasperated?

I am really intrigued to know how you know this.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#310  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 07, 2011 7:03 pm

michael^3 wrote:

John

Well he gets 4000 prayers for the ball to drop into the goal, and 4700 prayers for the ball not to drop into the goal. So what is god supposed to do when people ask conflicting things?

Neither, he kills a baby and gives someone cancer. The he gives the word in a believer's ear to pogrom some rival religion. Or he just gets bored and rolls the dice. Or it could just be nature...but that is just too mundane, people need a ripping yarn. :lol: :lol:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#311  Postby Paul » Mar 07, 2011 7:25 pm

michael^3 wrote:

John

You had asked
michael^3 wrote:You can pray as surely as you can push a chair or recite a poem. It's an action.

and I gave an example of an utterance that some would call prayer and I call wishful thinking, to illustrate that a prayer does not have to be to god.

you then (in a response to Fallible) said
michael^3 wrote:Is there anything else you can pray to, except god?

so I pointed out my earlier post.

The point was, and still is, that people do things that can be called praying, without believing in gods.

Talking about god being exasperated had fuck all to do with the points being addressed and is just a crass attempt to avoid the issue. It was not "why does prayer not work" it was "prayer does not equate to belief in gods".
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#312  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2011 7:33 pm

z8000783 wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

I don't have a problem with you having a belief I am simply curious as to what your justification is for having it, that's all. Beliefs are the things that we hold to be true so I assume that like me, you don't hold your beliefs lightly or for no reason.

I have no evidence for God. But I enjoy believing in God, and I think that my believes have no inconsistency or evidence against them. That's basically the only apology I have to offer.

michael^3 wrote:... that if you ask god earnestly about the questions that really bother you, he will set up circumstances that enable you to have the insight that you want.

Fair enough that's clear however what I was asking was whether there are occasions when you have insights that result from something you are doing but where you didn't ask God to help you?

John

Yes of course. Atheists get insights too.
michael^3

Print view this post

#313  Postby z8000783 » Mar 07, 2011 7:40 pm

michael^3 wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

I have no evidence for God. But I enjoy believing in God, and I think that my believes have no inconsistency or evidence against them. That's basically the only apology I have to offer.

Do you have anything that justifies it though as opposed to believing that the creator of the whole universe, who can listen to and answer any one of six billion people potentially talking to him and for whom you structure your life, actually exists other than because it seems enjoyable?

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#314  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2011 7:48 pm

z8000783 wrote:
michael^3 wrote:
z8000783 wrote:

Do you have anything that justifies it though as opposed to believing that the creator of the whole universe, who can listen to and answer any one of six billion people potentially talking to him and for whom you structure your life, actually exists other than because it seems enjoyable?

John

Would you rather have me take the option that I don't enjoy? And what do I have to justify anyway? Are you the Spanish Inquisition?
michael^3

Print view this post

#315  Postby Animavore » Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm

What an odd turn this thread has taken. I certainly wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#316  Postby michael^3 » Mar 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Animavore wrote:What an odd turn this thread has taken. I certainly wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

looks expectingly at the door...
michael^3

Print view this post

#317  Postby Fallible » Mar 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Is that 'no'?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#318  Postby z8000783 » Mar 07, 2011 7:54 pm

michael^3 wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

John

Would you rather have me take the option that I don't enjoy?

Are they the only choices you have for how you support the things that you think are true in the world and beyond?

michael^3 wrote:And what do I have to justify anyway?

To yourself perhaps, to ensure that the things you hold to be true are valid rather than being incorrect and if so, to find better explanations and change them.

michael^3 wrote:Are you the Spanish Inquisition?

It was a question and this is a forum, you can answer it or not answer it however you like. No one is forcing you to be here.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#319  Postby z8000783 » Mar 07, 2011 8:02 pm

michael^3 wrote:
John wrote:

Fair enough that's clear however what I was asking was whether there are occasions when you have insights that result from something you are doing but where you didn't ask God to help you?

Yes of course. Atheists get insights too.

And does God ever provide insights for you when you haven't asked him?

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#320  Postby sennekuyl » Mar 07, 2011 9:27 pm

michael^3 wrote:

I believe, but this is just a belief so please don't shoot me for it, that if you ask god earnestly about the questions that really bother you, he will set up circumstances that enable you to have the insight that you want.

I did what you suggest for nearly a decade. Passionately. I was horrified at how nonchalant Christians were about the effects the "world" (understanding it to be sinful) had on Christianity. I fought it endlessly as best I could in my sphere of influence.

How long should I have waited? Or should I take comfort that my prayerful questions seemed to lead me to the answers eventually ending them by becoming an atheist, is what God wanted me to understand? As I see it now, there was no God to answer so my questions were meaningless.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity