'Everyone can believe in God.'

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 'Everyone can believe in God.'

#401  Postby sennekuyl » Mar 13, 2011 1:30 am

Walk into a room and turn right 7+n times. N is determined by how many rooms are in the house.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#402  Postby pawiz » Mar 13, 2011 1:32 am

sennekuyl wrote:Walk into a room and turn right 7+n times. N is determined by how many rooms are in the house.

The number of my rooms = the square root of 1. I guess I'm screwed.
It is my deeply held belief that (insert name of favored deity here) is a complete fuckwit. Please respect my beliefs.
pawiz

Name: Paul
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#403  Postby CookieJon » Mar 13, 2011 1:49 am

NineOneFour wrote:
michael^3 wrote:
It is still the case that believing in God greatly reduces your risk of burning in hell

Nice twist on Pascal's wager but still lame...

Does he really mean "reduces" your risk? Some Chritians have told me that not believing in God was no-risk straight to Hell. I wish they'd get their story straight amongst themselves; having many inconsistent versions of the one true religion makes it so time-consuming to pick all their beliefs apart, but nevertheless...

Apart from the fact that Michael is wrong about belief being some sort of celestial fire insurance scheme, let's assume for a moment he's not...

1. Michael says non-belief carries greater risk of eternal torture.
2. Michael says that not everyone is able to believe.
3. Therefore, according to Michael's religion, some people are simply born, through no fault of their own, destined for eternal torture.

Hardly the hallmark of a just deity, let alone one worth worshipping.

Unless, of course, Michael believes in Karma or someting. Perhaps he feels that people incapable of belief are born so because of some sin accrued in a past life when they were able to believe but chose not to or something. This begs the question, though, why they weren't simply sent to the torture chamber straight away instead of having to live again, but I'm absolutely sure Michael can invent some lame reason to hand-wave that away as well.

Pastafarianism is so much simpler than this Christian schtick. I'd switch to the FSM if I were you Michael - it requires much less cognitive dissonance effort to explain away, and the transubstantion is so much more delicous.

Confused.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#404  Postby Latimeria » Mar 13, 2011 2:24 am

michael^3 wrote:
Latimeria wrote:So, michael-cubed, I'm assuming you would kiss Hank's ass?

Whether you would or not, please explain why in as much detail as you can. I think it would help me to understand your position.

Thanks.

This all rests on the old "believe in god or you'll burn in hell" idea which I don't believe. So the whole thing is pretty much irrelevant to me.

Did you not catch the bits about incentives/rewards for believing? Did you consider that the whole proposition sounds really nice and that the guy thought it was something worth doing "if it's legit"? The implications regarding wanting to believe something and the potential conflict when assessing its plausibility? Any of that?
" [This space is for rent to "which ever version of POOF creates the largest cloud of obnoxious smoke following the POOF."[1] "- God
Works Cited:
[1] - theropod. Parsimony of the Miraculous. RatSkep Peanut Gallery Press, 2011.
Latimeria
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#405  Postby MattHunX » Mar 13, 2011 7:43 am

michael^3 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

This all rests on the old "believe in god or you'll burn in hell" idea which I don't believe. So the whole thing is pretty much irrelevant to me.

You don't? Then what is the point of believing or not believing? Does this mean I can finally have sex with my girlfriend without fearing divine judgement? I mean if God is real but does not send you to hell for not believing in him, I think I can manage on my own...

It is still the case that believing in God greatly reduces your risk of burning in hell

If you don't believe the old "believe in god or you'll burn in hell" idea , then why even worry about it or if not worry, then why even mention it?

If you don't subscribe to that part of scripture and aspect of the faith, then there is no risk for you, from it.

And as it was pointed our, your statement, though only a reduction of the chance of burning in hell, is still essentially Pascal's Pathetic and Morally Bankrupt Wager.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#406  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Mar 13, 2011 8:08 am

If an invisible flying Panda rotating around Venus touched your soul, what would you expect to feel?
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#407  Postby michael^3 » Mar 13, 2011 8:46 am

NineOneFour wrote:
michael^3 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

You don't? Then what is the point of believing or not believing? Does this mean I can finally have sex with my girlfriend without fearing divine judgement? I mean if God is real but does not send you to hell for not believing in him, I think I can manage on my own...

Nice twist on Pascal's wager but still lame. Belief in WHAT god? Maybe there are multiple gods and if you don't believe in them, you're going to Hell.

It's just that believing in god may help some people to get their moral act straight.

But if you can do this without god, and many people can, then you don't have to believe in any god to avoid hell.
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#408  Postby Latimeria » Mar 13, 2011 9:08 am

Is there a comprehensive set of objective standards of morality that everyone is expected to understand and follow, or does God just want everyone to follow their own conscience, or (insert other options as needed)? I believe I have a well developed set of morals, but they do not always coincide with Biblical morals, and in fact there are some areas in which I am in direct opposition to many mainstream Christian moral teachings.

Do I go to hell?
" [This space is for rent to "which ever version of POOF creates the largest cloud of obnoxious smoke following the POOF."[1] "- God
Works Cited:
[1] - theropod. Parsimony of the Miraculous. RatSkep Peanut Gallery Press, 2011.
Latimeria
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#409  Postby CookieJon » Mar 13, 2011 9:31 am

michael^3 wrote:But if you can do this without god, and many people can, then you don't have to believe in any god to avoid hell.

You're just making this all up as you go along.

I said before somewhere that there are almost as many religions as there are individuals on the planet, and you're proving this point beautifully with every post you make.

Willhud's wonderful word writ large with you, isn't it!
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#410  Postby michael^3 » Mar 13, 2011 9:52 am

Latimeria wrote:Is there a comprehensive set of objective standards of morality that everyone is expected to understand and follow, or does God just want everyone to follow their own conscience, or (insert other options as needed)? I believe I have a well developed set of morals, but they do not always coincide with Biblical morals, and in fact there are some areas in which I am in direct opposition to many mainstream Christian moral teachings.

Yes I think that basically you have to follow your own conscience.

Do I go to hell?
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#411  Postby willhud9 » Mar 13, 2011 10:19 am

Latimeria wrote: and in fact there are some areas in which I am in direct opposition to many mainstream Christian moral teachings.

Mere curiosity, such as?

and what is mainstream Christian, moral teachings?
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#412  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 13, 2011 10:33 am

michael^3 wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

Nice twist on Pascal's wager but still lame. Belief in WHAT god? Maybe there are multiple gods and if you don't believe in them, you're going to Hell.

It's just that believing in god may help some people to get their moral act straight.

You mean like pedophile priests? Yeah, I'm sure it's worked for them.

Not one person has become more moral by believing in god. Not one.

But if you can do this without god, and many people can, then you don't have to believe in any god to avoid hell.

Define 'moral'. I bet yours is slightly different from mine.

And, morality is the way to escape hell? Citation needed.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#413  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 13, 2011 10:34 am

michael^3 wrote:
Latimeria wrote:Is there a comprehensive set of objective standards of morality that everyone is expected to understand and follow, or does God just want everyone to follow their own conscience, or (insert other options as needed)? I believe I have a well developed set of morals, but they do not always coincide with Biblical morals, and in fact there are some areas in which I am in direct opposition to many mainstream Christian moral teachings.

Yes I think that basically you have to follow your own conscience.

Do I go to hell?

Like Westboro Baptist Church?
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#414  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 13, 2011 10:34 am

willhud9 wrote:
Latimeria wrote: and in fact there are some areas in which I am in direct opposition to many mainstream Christian moral teachings.

Mere curiosity, such as?

And....where does he get his morality from, if not Christianity...?
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#415  Postby willhud9 » Mar 13, 2011 10:59 am

NineOneFour wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

Mere curiosity, such as?

I do not understand the intent of this question. I was merely asking Latimeria which areas were in direct opposition and what mainstream Christian moral teachings were.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#416  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 13, 2011 11:08 am

willhud9 wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

Mere curiosity, such as?

I do not understand the intent of this question. I was merely asking Latimeria which areas were in direct opposition and what mainstream Christian moral teachings were.

Where do you think morality comes from?
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#417  Postby willhud9 » Mar 13, 2011 11:25 am

NineOneFour wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

Personally, as a theist I believe the bare essentials, a skeleton if you will, for morality comes from God. The meat and flesh of that morality is toned due to social, cultural, and ethnic surroundings. But that is personal speculation and philosophy.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#418  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 13, 2011 11:31 am

willhud9 wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

Personally, as a theist I believe the bare essentials, a skeleton if you will, for morality comes from God. The meat and flesh of that morality is toned due to social, cultural, and ethnic surroundings. But that is personal speculation and philosophy.

How can any of morality stem from God, if there are different Gods?
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#419  Postby willhud9 » Mar 13, 2011 11:38 am

NineOneFour wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

How can any of morality stem from God, if there are different Gods?

Depends on your belief as a theist which God is real and which is not.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#420  Postby redwhine » Mar 13, 2011 11:39 am

michael^3 wrote:
Latimeria wrote:So, michael-cubed, I'm assuming you would kiss Hank's ass?

Whether you would or not, please explain why in as much detail as you can. I think it would help me to understand your position.

Thanks.

But you do expect a payoff, don't you? (Kiss Hank's ass - get big money; kiss god's ass - get eternity in heaven.)
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity