Is evolution just a hunch and a line of reasoning?

Logic applied

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Is evolution just a hunch and a line of reasoning?

#581  Postby mindhack » Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:
chairman bill wrote:I'm still reeling from the thought that Atheistoclast is a product of my mind. I'm going to try really, really hard to think him out of existence. brb

You can't, because the Creator....

where?

....has implanted the thought...

How?

...of my existence in your mind....

Don't be silly. You're typing considerable nonsense on rational skepticism.org for people to read

I dwell in your mind and you in my own.

Your nonsensical ramblings are skimmed through and labeled as nonsense, then, after hilarity (if any) has settled, thown into the "useless-info' bin. No atheistoclast is dwelling in anyone's mind.

I am here to stay. Sorry.

(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#582  Postby Varangian » Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:
chairman bill wrote:I'm still reeling from the thought that Atheistoclast is a product of my mind. I'm going to try really, really hard to think him out of existence. brb

You can't, because the Creator has implanted the thought of my existence in your mind. I dwell in your mind and you in my own.

There's a cure.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#583  Postby chairman bill » Dec 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Right. All thoughts of wotsisname are gone from my head. Where were we?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#584  Postby ramseyoptom » Dec 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:

If you want to be taken seriously by a peer-reviewed researcher like myself, then you have to either publish or perish.

And just because something is published in a peer-reviewed journal still doesn't mean to say it is not complete crap. I will just remind you of three letters "MMR" - and looked how that turned out for the author.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#585  Postby Atheistoclast » Dec 12, 2011 1:46 pm

ramseyoptom wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:

If you want to be taken seriously by a peer-reviewed researcher like myself, then you have to either publish or perish.

And just because something is published in a peer-reviewed journal still doesn't mean to say it is not complete crap. I will just remind you of three letters "MMR" - and looked how that turned out for the author.

I will be interested if Calilasseia will decide to join the big league of science and submit a manuscript to Evolutionary Ecology. I think he is capable of writing a perspective, review or commentary even if he is not in a position to do research.
Nothing in biology makes sense when you include evolution.
Atheistoclast
Banned User

Name: Joe

Iran (ir)
Print view this post

#586  Postby Agrippina » Dec 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:For the benefit of Calilasseia I am making a helpful suggestion:

If you have really read over 2,000 papers on evolutionary biology, then you are at a stage where you ought to commit this knowledge as a perspective or review article. Given your fascination with fish and their ecology, I think the following journal run by Professor John Endler is a good place to submit a manuscript (there are no author charges):

Evolutionary Ecology (published by Springer-Verlag)

http://www.springer.com/life+sciences/e ... rnal/10682

*Waiting with bated breath for the response to this post* :what:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#587  Postby Agrippina » Dec 12, 2011 3:34 pm

O-M-G!!!! I can't wait. The an-ti-ci-pa-tion is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#588  Postby Regina » Dec 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Athie wrote:
You can't, because the Creator has implanted the thought of my existence in your mind. I dwell in your mind and you in my own.

So you are just a thought? I guess I can deal with that. But if you have no material form, how do you write your papers? Do you live inside your computer's hard drive, perhaps?
Last edited by Regina on Dec 12, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#589  Postby ramseyoptom » Dec 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:
ramseyoptom wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:

I will be interested if Calilasseia will decide to join the big league of science and submit a manuscript to Evolutionary Ecology. I think he is capable of writing a perspective, review or commentary even if he is not in a position to do research.

Neatly swerved!
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#590  Postby mindhack » Dec 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Regina wrote:
Athie wrote:

So you are just a thought? I guess I can deal with that. But if you have no material form, how do you write your papers? Do live inside your computer's hard drive, perhaps?

Ah! True Transhumanism, finally.
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#591  Postby Zadocfish2 » Dec 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Please direct us to your own peer-reviewed papers, A.
User formerly known as Falconjudge.

I am a Christian.
Zadocfish2

Name: Justin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#592  Postby jaygray » Dec 12, 2011 5:11 pm

falconjudge wrote:Please direct us to your own peer-reviewed papers, A.

Oh he will. Be prepared though, Atheistoclast's idea of 'peer-review' is not necessarily anyone else's. All in the mind, you see. :crazy:
'Now, there are some who would like to rewrite history - revisionist historians is what I like to call them.' - George W. Bush
jaygray

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#593  Postby Agrippina » Dec 12, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm imagining that I'm waiting to see what happens while I'm waiting to hear what happens next.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#594  Postby Atheistoclast » Dec 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Please follow the links to 3 of them. They were all rigorously peer reviewed by experts in the field:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 5/abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21550380

http://www.springerlink.com/content/q767h613177m34r1/

Another 2 are due to be published in the next few weeks. We live in exciting times.
Atheistoclast
Banned User

Iran (ir)
Print view this post

#595  Postby Atheistoclast » Dec 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Agrippina wrote:

Cali is all huff and puff. If he is so interested by evolutionary biology, he ought to write up and submit an appropriate manuscript (review, perspective or commentary). He could even write a research article based on the fish he keeps at home. I know he has taken many photos of them and observed their behavior. Evolutionary Ecology is a good journal. John Endler, the EIC, is one of Cali's heroes.
Atheistoclast
Banned User

Iran (ir)
Print view this post

#596  Postby Shrunk » Dec 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:

Please follow the links to 3 of them. They were all rigorously peer reviewed by experts in the field:

Another 2 are due to be published in the next few weeks. We live in exciting times.

Two of those are in non-biology journals, and the third does not question evolutionary theory at all.

Still, credit where it's due, you did get them published.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#597  Postby Agrippina » Dec 12, 2011 6:53 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Cali is all huff and puff. If he is so interested by evolutionary biology, he ought to write up and submit an appropriate manuscript (review, perspective or commentary). He could even write a research article based on the fish he keeps at home. I know he has taken many photos of them and observed their behavior. Evolutionary Ecology is a good journal. John Endler, the EIC, is one of Cali's heroes.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh boy, this is going to be a lot of fun.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#598  Postby Rumraket » Dec 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:

Two of those are in non-biology journals, and the third does not question evolutionary theory at all.

None of them question evolutionary theory, they just argue that it's constrained by certain factors. In fact, several of them contain various passages asserting that evolution works. There's a big difference between what Clastie says on forums such as these and what his papers contain.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#599  Postby Nebogipfel » Dec 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Regina wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:

Science allows us to observe the work of the Creator. Anatomists of the early 19th century studied the body in all its intricacy and complexity because it provided a direct insight into the mind of the Creator. The more we delve, the more we see just how intelligent this mind truly is. Science is a profoundly religious experience for many people.

Hang on for a sec:
The work of the Creator? Are you by any chance talking about entities that vanish the second you stop perceiving them? Which naturally includes the Creator, doesn't it? So you are the Creator of the universe, aren't you? Because your perception creates the Creator?

Vejur is that which seeks the Creator. :levi:
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#600  Postby Atheistoclast » Dec 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Shrunk wrote:

No. 2 of them are in cross-discipline journals which are read and reviewed by biologists.

The other one does question both positive selection and evolutionary divergence by gene duplication.

Anyway, my next papers are in genetics and molecular biology journals. I am getting very friendly with some of the editors.
Atheistoclast
Banned User

Iran (ir)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism