Is evolution just a hunch and a line of reasoning?

Logic applied

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Is evolution just a hunch and a line of reasoning?

#641  Postby z8000783 » Dec 13, 2011 11:58 pm

Varangian wrote:
sennekuyl wrote:And Jesus said, "Free will! In Heaven? Over my dead body!" Gospel of John 45:82

Where has Robert Buyers gone?

Gate-crashed a conference on polar bears, perhaps?

Wow, I bet that scared the shit out of them.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#642  Postby Oldskeptic » Dec 14, 2011 3:42 am

z8000783 wrote:
Varangian wrote:
sennekuyl wrote:And Jesus said, "Free will! In Heaven? Over my dead body!" Gospel of John 45:82

Where has Robert Buyers gone?

Gate-crashed a conference on polar bears, perhaps?

Wow, I bet that scared the shit out of them.

John

No, it just turned a whiter shade of pale.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#643  Postby byofrcs » Dec 14, 2011 5:11 am

Atheistoclast wrote:
Regina wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:I am tempted to appeal to Amnesty International to ask them to persuade PZ Myers to free all the prisoners of conscience, including myself, from the "dungeon" that exists at his site.

I actually think it makes a lot of sense. Atheistoclast is, after all, just a thought. That's what he says, at any rate.
So being incarcerated in a virtual dungeon must be like imprisonment in the county jail for real people.

I feels real enough to me. I feel I have been gagged and handcuffed. I take freedom of speech very seriously.

Well it costs you nothing to create a blog account on blogger or youtube etc so my guess is that you don't actually take freedom of speech that seriously but just want to force people to listen to you.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#644  Postby MrFungus420 » Dec 14, 2011 5:59 am

Atheistoclast wrote:I am tempted to appeal to Amnesty International to ask them to persuade PZ Myers to free all the prisoners of conscience, including myself, from the "dungeon" that exists at his site.

Demonstrating once again your incredible ignorance...
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#645  Postby MrFungus420 » Dec 14, 2011 6:00 am

Rumraket wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:
Regina wrote:
I actually think it makes a lot of sense. Atheistoclast is, after all, just a thought. That's what he says, at any rate.
So being incarcerated in a virtual dungeon must be like imprisonment in the county jail for real people.

I feels real enough to me. I feel I have been gagged and handcuffed. I take freedom of speech very seriously.

Trolling, spam and violations of posting rules aren't "freedom of speech".

+1
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#646  Postby Made of Stars » Dec 14, 2011 9:34 am

Atheistoclast wrote:It is the first joint conference between European and North American evolutionists. All the big names will be there. It is a perfect opportunity to seize the day and take the Darwinian bull by the horns. I will be the ultimate gatecrasher and party pooper.

Like Borat at a realtors convention. :coffee:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#647  Postby Agrippina » Dec 14, 2011 9:37 am

Creationists are such wonderful comedians.! :lol:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#648  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Dec 14, 2011 10:23 am

!
MODNOTE
Atheistoclast, your post here contains a clear personal attack. As you know, personal attacks are not allowed under our FUA.

Also, your post here contravenes Section 1.5 of the FUA which covers preaching/proelytising. Specifically, it states, "In particular you may not overtly or covertly imply that other members are sinners or that they are likely to experience religious or other supernatural consequences for their thoughts, words, or actions."

As you have been advised against such posting behaviour several times in the past, I am issuing you your third active warning and a one week suspension. Hopefully you will use the time off to review the FUA and revise your posting behaviour.

If anyone wishes to comment on this note, please either PM a moderator or start a Feedback thread. Crocodile Gandhi.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#649  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Dec 14, 2011 10:33 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
rustynuts II, your post here previously referred to Atheistoclast as 'Asshat-oclast'. Please do not to change forum users' names in order to provoke or inflame them. The moderation staff has noted that you have since edited your post and would suggest that you display a similar level of thoughtfulness in the future.

If you wish to comment on this note, please either PM a moderator or start a Feedback thread. Crocodile Gandhi.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#650  Postby Rumraket » Dec 14, 2011 2:48 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:Rumraket,

Learn the difference between data and information.

Your hard drive can store copious amounts of data (binary digits or bits). However, it can presently contain no information. 2 Gigabits of data with all "0s" has no information value.

'Information value' is a very subjective term. 2 Gigabits of 0's still takes a couple of bits to describe, like "2x109 zeroes" That in itself is information and can have information value. It could form a set of measurements, which would make it very valuable depending on what was measured and so on.

Atheistoclast wrote:But such a large amount of space can potentially contain lots of useful information. However, we cannot quantify the value of any information. There is no definitive measure as to how much information something has. Hence, information is qualitative in nature. Generally, however, there is a positive correlation between data and information.

Which is why it's meaningless to declare that evolution can't produce "biological information" in the form of DNA sequence coding for sequence motifs, because you haven't really said anything about what it is evolution can't produce. You've just called it "information" and stopped there.
Purely from a chemistry standpoint, you're claiming single nucleotide insertions can't happen and be selected for, which is hilariously wrong of course.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#651  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 15, 2011 6:08 am

Add to this of course, that like other creationists, he thinks information is a magic entity, and therefore needs a magic man. Turing, Shannon, Kolmogorov et al, tossed that notion into the bin years ago. Indeed, Turing's work, upon which the modern digital computer is founded, established two basic concepts, even if he didn't couch them in these terms, namely:

[1] Information is simply the observational data available, about the current state, out of many possible states, of a system of interest;

[2] Ascribed meaning is simply the interactions performed by another system, when that system receives the data covered in [1] above.

I've cited an apposite example from the world of microprocessors that encapsulates this. Basically, set up a stream of memory bytes with a specific set of values, and pass that stream of bytes to a number of different CPUs. Each of those CPUs will treat those bytes as having a different 'meaning', in the sense that for those CPUs, those bytes will encode different instructions. But since we're dealing with the same sequence of byte values, the information content thereof is the same for each instance thereof. Therefore conflating information content with ascribed meaning, as creationists frequently do in their apologetics, is erroneous.

Of course, I expect the usual apologetics to be erected at this point, to the effect that those CPUs, courtesy of their nature as human artefacts, were "designed" (which I don't dispute, but that's because we have evidence that they were designed), and that therefore, those interactions that constitute 'ascribed meaning' for those CPUs were the product of "intelligence", and therefore the same holds for biological entities. The last part of said apologetics, of course, being a mere blind assertion, and one that isn't supported by any real evidence. Indeed, we have much evidence to the effect that biological entities didn't require a magic man to produce them, no matter how much fetishists for 3,000 year old myths engage in wishful thinking to this extent.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#652  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:For the benefit of Calilasseia I am making a helpful suggestion:

If you want to be taken seriously by a peer-reviewed researcher like myself, then you have to either publish or perish.

:lol:

Fucking comedy gold!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#653  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:
falconjudge wrote:Please direct us to your own peer-reviewed papers, A.

Please follow the links to 3 of them. They were all rigorously peer reviewed by experts in the field:

Just not a relevant field! :lol:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#654  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 16, 2011 5:23 pm

z8000783 wrote:Yes, what is light?

John

It's the absence of heavy.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#655  Postby Agrippina » Dec 16, 2011 7:04 pm

:lol:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#656  Postby Made of Stars » Dec 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:
falconjudge wrote:Please direct us to your own peer-reviewed papers, A.

Please follow the links to 3 of them. They were all rigorously peer reviewed by experts in the field:

Just not a relevant field! :lol:

These guys are also experts in the field, therefore, qualified to comment:

Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#657  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Is evolution just a hunch and a line of reasoning?
Logic applied

Logic applied, but clearly was rejected as an unnecessary complication.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism