My son is a transvestite

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: My son is a transvestite

#41  Postby Beatsong » Aug 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Fascinating!

HAJiME wrote:I remember a while ago seeing a TV documentary discussing transsexual brains to find a cause for transsexualism. I would imagine it has many causes, from environmental, to hormone, to something actually different physically in the brain.

This is from the wiki page on "etiology of transsexualism" and sounds like what I saw on this tv show...
"Regional gray matter variation in male-to-female transsexualism by Luders et al. in Neuroimage. 2009 Mar 30. Quote: …Results revealed that regional gray matter variation in MTF transsexuals is more similar to the pattern found in men than in women. However, MTF transsexuals show a significantly larger volume of regional gray matter in the right putamen compared to men. These findings provide new evidence that transsexualism is associated with distinct cerebral pattern, which supports the assumption that brain anatomy plays a role in gender identity."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiology_of_transsexualism.

How about this for a theory: There IS something real called "gender identification", that is separate from biological sex, sexuality, and social expectation. But it only exists in transexuals.

That is, it's not just a question of transexuals having a different subjective gender-identification to other people, but a question of them having one at all. For other people, I hypothesize, gender-identification is nothing more than the combination of their physical sex, sexuality, and the social expectations they were brought up in. There IS no separate "element" of gender "identity".

That's certainly how it is for me, and what I observe in young children. But I repeat my invitation to others: can anyone put their finger on what it means to "be" their gender, outside of these three factors?
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#42  Postby epepke » Aug 22, 2010 9:31 pm

HAJiME wrote:I think my sexuality has always been really weird. I can't even begin to explain it. I'm in a homosexual relationship, and I think I generally prefer guys. But I don't think, from a sexual perspective (as opposed to, a relationship overall perspective) think I don't really care what sex people are, but it's not the same as bisexuality - because I don't actively like both sexes... I just don't seem to... care? Which is especially odd, because it seems like other people "like that" aren't especially sexual in the first place, where as I think I am. If any of that makes any sense I'll be surprised.

The usual word for that here in the US is "pansexual." You might find it useful.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby tattuchu » Aug 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Beatsong wrote:But gender is not sexuality.

No offence to everyone, but questions about what age we started to feel attracted to the opposite sex at are rather a red herring...

Sorry to go off on a tangent, Beatsong. I was just trying to empathize with your son in that, although I don't know what it's like to want to be or feel like I'm a girl, I do know what it's like to feel different. He's not in for an easy time of it, I'm arfaid, but he's fortunate to have you as a parent at least. My father wouldn't let me do anything he considered the least bit feminine. When my sisters took up dance lessons, for example, I thought it'd be fun to do that as well. "No son of mine is going to take dance lessons!" was my father's reply :?
It's not cold in here, you're just dying.
tattuchu

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby HAJiME » Aug 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Beatsong wrote:Fascinating!

HAJiME wrote:I remember a while ago seeing a TV documentary discussing transsexual brains to find a cause for transsexualism. I would imagine it has many causes, from environmental, to hormone, to something actually different physically in the brain.

This is from the wiki page on "etiology of transsexualism" and sounds like what I saw on this tv show...
"Regional gray matter variation in male-to-female transsexualism by Luders et al. in Neuroimage. 2009 Mar 30. Quote: …Results revealed that regional gray matter variation in MTF transsexuals is more similar to the pattern found in men than in women. However, MTF transsexuals show a significantly larger volume of regional gray matter in the right putamen compared to men. These findings provide new evidence that transsexualism is associated with distinct cerebral pattern, which supports the assumption that brain anatomy plays a role in gender identity."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiology_of_transsexualism.

How about this for a theory: There IS something real called "gender identification", that is separate from biological sex, sexuality, and social expectation. But it only exists in transexuals.

That is, it's not just a question of transexuals having a different subjective gender-identification to other people, but a question of them having one at all. For other people, I hypothesize, gender-identification is nothing more than the combination of their physical sex, sexuality, and the social expectations they were brought up in. There IS no separate "element" of gender "identity".

That's certainly how it is for me, and what I observe in young children. But I repeat my invitation to others: can anyone put their finger on what it means to "be" their gender, outside of these three factors?

I think gender identity exists in everyone, because you get a real mix of people. There isn't just men who are male, women who are female and men/women who are transsexual. I have read of people who are physically male or female, but feel that they are both. Or butch females. Or feminine males. None of this has to have anything to do with sexuality. I think for everyone, gender identity is a mixture of physical sex, sexuality, social expectations AND mental health (sometimes a mental disorder, sometimes the cause of trauma, etc, etc) and hormones and... Endless things really. It's just with most people, all the parts match up.
HAJiME

Name: Joseph
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby z8000783 » Aug 23, 2010 5:41 am

Gender is a label that other people give you. The problem occurs when you believe you have to conform to that label.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Mononoke » Aug 23, 2010 7:54 am

The kid is 10 years old. I wonder how serious he's about these things, or whether this is simply a reaction to something he's experienced in his life. Have you talked to him about why he prefers to be girly.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Aug 23, 2010 8:19 am

Lots and lots of transgendered people know they're in the wrong body from the time they are absolutely tiny and it is mortifying for family and even worse for the poor children who don't entirely understand but know they are miserable. Of course, I'm referring to transgendered people who desire to have a body that is traditionally associated with their gender. Lots of transfolk are happy to be the sex that "doesn't match" their gender.

All this "He's only ten" stuff is confusing me for that reason. For someone to discover they're transgendered at ten is for them to take their time. Hell, twelve is the average age gay people "discover" they're gay and lots know sooner.

Ten really isn't young at all. It's a terrific age actually at which kids can be very thoughtful and articulate.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#48  Postby HAJiME » Aug 23, 2010 8:52 am

There are cases of people transitioning and then realising that they made a mistake, hence why it's very important that "he's only ten" and he's not "encouraged".

Being a feminine 10 year old boy doesn't make you a transsexual, or even queer. It makes you a feminine 10 year old boy. I think it's funny that people are talking about gender as a label, when we're all labelling this poor kid.

I think it would be wise to assess the situation at 15 and seek medical advice then if he feels appropriate. As far as I understand, you can't take any medication of any kind (hormones and such) in the UK for transsexualism until you are 18, except in very rare circumstances.
HAJiME

Name: Joseph
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Beatsong » Aug 23, 2010 8:58 am

I really don't think he's transgendered, at least that's not my working hypothesis yet.

I may have unwittingly exaggerated the "girls are better" stuff. He doesn't have any real revulsion about his boyhood, and doesn't have any problem dressing as a boy most of the time. And as I explained earlier, there are quite clearly discernable circumstantial reasons for the attitude appearing now. Kids often tend to latch onto things and form very absolute views to deal with what we would think are minor experiences that don't require such absolutism. He's done it about loads of things before and I think this is just another one.

I think part of it is a protection mechanism. He's become aware of not being that interested in or good at the things that are taken by other boys as "normal", and that could lead to the conclusion that he's not a "proper" boy, or is somehow defective. Instead, by saying "I'm a girl as well as a boy", and "girls are better", he validates himself as he is. It's his way of saying "I'm OK".

What he needs, IMO is to know that that's the case without having to slap absolute labels on it, and to learn that the "normal" boyhood that he thinks exists is a highly limited subset of what boyhood can be. And also time to grow into his new situation. The absolute labels are a way - as such things often are for people of all ages - of making sense of challenging experiences.

Also I've read about the kinds of children Rachel refers to, and those things are most definitely not true of him. Until this all kicked off a few months ago, he showed no sign of anything like this.

I'm working on the basis that it's just an interest in cross dressing in order to express a part of himself, and connect with a part of others, that he can't do (yet) any other way. He may do it forever, it may be just a passing stage. Only time will tell. My main concern is trying to stop him getting the shit beaten out of him along the way.

Of course I have one eye too on full-blown cases like Dory's and what that might mean. But I really think it's far too early for, and the balance of evidence doesn't point to, anything like that.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Beatsong » Aug 23, 2010 9:01 am

Oh, and for the frustrated female partners out there, he exhibits plenty of male character traits: emotionally obtuse; untidy as all hell; hopeless at finding things...

Most of which he probably gets from me. And there I was think I wasn't a masculine role model. :)
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 23, 2010 9:15 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Lots and lots of transgendered people know they're in the wrong body from the time they are absolutely tiny and it is mortifying for family and even worse for the poor children who don't entirely understand but know they are miserable. Of course, I'm referring to transgendered people who desire to have a body that is traditionally associated with their gender. Lots of transfolk are happy to be the sex that "doesn't match" their gender.

All this "He's only ten" stuff is confusing me for that reason. For someone to discover they're transgendered at ten is for them to take their time. Hell, twelve is the average age gay people "discover" they're gay and lots know sooner.

Ten really isn't young at all. It's a terrific age actually at which kids can be very thoughtful and articulate.

Very young people realise at a very early age that they are different. The sooner it can be discovered the better as treatment can start before puberty.
I was about five when I realised I hated boys and loved being with girls and being a girl but of course I could not mention it to my parents as it was the '50's and was from a very working class family.
There are special units for transgender. I found the one I went to in Amsterdam very understanding but as I was over forty when I finally discoverd who I was it was too late to do anything about it. I was glad to find out and I was able at long last come to terms with my feelings.
People are so much luckier today. You are not considered a freek or mental like you would have been in the '50's.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Loki_999 » Aug 23, 2010 9:24 am

Not any help here. I'm currently worried about my 6 year old son developing a linking of WinX and wanting the dolls and pretending he is one of the fairies.

Still, at least you do no behave like the dad in this clip (from the film Three to Tango). Skip to about 2:00
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkrJ06TLdAc[/youtube]
We are each of us a multitude - Carl Sagan
Loki_999

Name: Loki

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Aug 23, 2010 10:52 am

HAJiME wrote:There are cases of people transitioning and then realising that they made a mistake, hence why it's very important that "he's only ten" and he's not "encouraged".

Being a feminine 10 year old boy doesn't make you a transsexual, or even queer. It makes you a feminine 10 year old boy. I think it's funny that people are talking about gender as a label, when we're all labelling this poor kid.

I think it would be wise to assess the situation at 15 and seek medical advice then if he feels appropriate. As far as I understand, you can't take any medication of any kind (hormones and such) in the UK for transsexualism until you are 18, except in very rare circumstances.

Cases of people regretting having undergone permanent sex reassignment procedures are very, very unusual. In my experience, cases of people transitioning "back" for the wrong reasons (pushy families or church groups, etc) and then wishing they hadn't done so are more common. Hell, I can think of a number of people who have transitioned back but not regretted a moment they spent as the opposite sex.

I'm not in favour of hastily deeming small children transgendered and having them on hormone therapy prior to their eighth birthday. Treating children as though they're stupid though and not taking every thought and feeling of theirs into account on the basis they’re young and that somehow makes those thoughts and feelings illegitimate is wrong. If after several years of identifying as female and rejecting male gender a parent continues to tell their ten-year-old biologically male child "you're only ten", they are being extremely disrespectful toward their child's thoughts and feelings and are very likely causing them psychological harm.

I don't know if Beatsong's kid is transgendered nor have I labelled them such. I responded to the chorus of "he's only ten", which seriously bothered me on a general basis because being ten doesn’t make your thoughts or feelings less legitimate than your mom’s and dad’s.

Considering the realities of transgenderism, is utterly ridiculous to assume, because the child is small, they don’t know what they’re talking about nor do they understand their own feelings. Rejection of one’s assigned gender from a very young age is the biggest symptom of transgenderism in kidlets. Every child knows themselves better than their parents know them and their thoughts and feelings, particularly the prominent, long term ones, need to be taken into account by parents instead of simply being dismissed on the basis in the future they might regret their decision which mommy and daddy consented to. Mommy and daddy may regret the damage they imposed on their child by having discouraged them from being themselves for so many years and forcing them to experience the trauma of puberty of the sex they don’t identify as, making their later transition WAY more complicated and risky.

Again, I’m responding to the general sentiment that age qualifies a child’s feelings and thoughts as less meaningful and real than those of adults, not anything Beatsong has said.

By the time a transgendered kid hits fifteen without having been allowed to pursue the gender and body they best identify with, they have already unnecessarily suffered. Teenage girls have begun to grow beards. Teenage boys are growing tits. Can you imagine anything more traumatising than developing the wrong sex characteristics? Little girls, three and four years old, who are biologically male are known to suffer extreme anxiety over the prospect of potentially growing beards. It doesn’t have to happen either.

Allowing eleven and twelve- year-olds to undergo hormone therapy to allow them to experience some of the symptoms of puberty pertaining to the sex they identify with while blocking those their body is naturally prepared to undergo is controversial. The people undergoing the therapy are still considered too young to consent to such elective procedures. At such a young age the idea “it’s just a phase” and “they’ll grow out of it” is very real. Lots of parents (and trans kids) aren’t comfortable pursuing that avenue prior to the kid being fourteen/sixteen/eighteen. That said, the kid does NOT need to undergo the puberty their body is prepared for either, which would only make them more uncomfortable in their own skin as transgendered kids and would make their potential physical transition MUCH more difficult.

That’s what puberty blockers are for. They don’t interfere with a kid’s growth but they do ensure girls who aren’t sure they want to be girls don’t get boobs and periods and boys who aren’t sure they want to be boys don’t grow beards and develop the muscle structure of a grown man. Kids can be taken off them at any time and the puberty their body is programmed to undergo will begin. Kids can also transition from being on puberty blockers at whatever age they and their parents deem appropriate and pursue hormone therapy to block their natural puberty and simulate some of what puberty for the sex they identify with would include. Without having had to develop mature features of the sex they don’t identify with and would want gone, they can begin the puberty of their choice. Of course, if they change their mind, they can lose the puberty blockers and experience the puberty their physiology has in store for them.

And, at the risk of nit-picking:

Beatsong, do you seriously think being emotionally obtuse, untidy and struggling to find things are exclusively or even predominantly male characteristics? Really?
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Paul1 » Aug 23, 2010 10:59 am

But having a sex-change operation hardly counts as "accepting nature as it is", does it? It's siding with one side of nature (the psychological) and being willing to utterly disfigure and artificialize the other (the physical) to do so.

Well that's your opinion, your son may or may not feel otherwise later on, but at the end of the day, it's his body. If that's what makes your son happy later on in life, then I urge you to fully support him either way.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Beatsong » Aug 23, 2010 11:44 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Cases of people regretting having undergone permanent sex reassignment procedures are very, very unusual.

That's not my impression.

For one thing, there appears to be very little systematic follow up of such things, here in the UK at least. Medical authorities tend to lose touch with people who have undergone treatment and noone (AFAIK) has managed to do a proper study of long-term effects. Then there is the problem that doing such a study meaningfully would involve treating a group of transexuals while denying treatment to a control group, and there are possibly insurmountable ethical issues with that. But there are plenty of stories from people who say they regret having had surgery, or who say that it didn't provide the relief from anxiety that they expected it to.

Generally in medical treatment the onus is on the practitioners to prove, via properly followed up surveys etc, that a treatment "works" - ie, in a case like this, that it improves the happiness and well-being of most patients, to a significantly greater extent than it reduces the happiness of others. I don't think anyone has yet provided such proof about SRS. (But then it hasn't been widely carried out for very long.)

In my experience, cases of people transitioning "back" for the wrong reasons (pushy families or church groups, etc) and then wishing they hadn't done so are more common. Hell, I can think of a number of people who have transitioned back but not regretted a moment they spent as the opposite sex.

Surely there you're talking about people who have not had surgery? AFAIK there is no way to properly reverse the effects of SRS, certainly not to put things back "the way they were".

But yeah, in terms of everything short of that, I have no problem with people of any age living as any gender they want to, for as long as they want to or forever, and I can well imagine you're right about the effects of social pressure.

I don't know if Beatsong's kid is transgendered nor have I labelled them such. I responded to the chorus of "he's only ten", which seriously bothered me on a general basis because being ten doesn’t make your thoughts or feelings less legitimate than your mom’s and dad’s.

It doesn't make them less legitimate, no. But it does mean that when looking at them, we have to do so in the context of how 10 year olds typically think and make sense of their world. When a 10 year old makes an absolutist statement like "boys are crap", we shouldn't interpret that the same way as we do when an adult makes such a statement, because they haven't had the experience and education to know about the vast number of possible less-absolutist ways of expressing what they're feeling.

A typical example of this is when parents get divorced, and it's very common for children to completely demonize one parent (usually the father) and idolize the other, apportioning all the blame in a way that is completely unrealistic. Then as they grow up, learn and think and learn and think and learn and think, they come to realise that life is not as simple as that, and often being rapprochement with the estranged parent at a later age.

Considering the realities of transgenderism, is utterly ridiculous to assume, because the child is small, they don’t know what they’re talking about nor do they understand their own feelings. Rejection of one’s assigned gender from a very young age is the biggest symptom of transgenderism in kidlets.

Indeed! I don't know what you mean by "very", but a large part of my point here is that he DIDN'T show any such rejection, until he was at least 9 and a half. And "rejection" is prossibly too strong a word even there. He says "girls are better than boys" but then he also has no problem dressing as a boy most of the time and having people see him and treat him as one. If anything, I think he's more likely to be "pangender" (if that's a word?) with perfectly healthy elements of both.

By the time a transgendered kid hits fifteen without having been allowed to pursue the gender and body they best identify with, they have already unnecessarily suffered. Teenage girls have begun to grow beards. Teenage boys are growing tits. Can you imagine anything more traumatising than developing the wrong sex characteristics? Little girls, three and four years old, who are biologically male are known to suffer extreme anxiety over the prospect of potentially growing beards. It doesn’t have to happen either.

Again, there's absolutely nothing so far to suggest that his sense of gender is anywhere near as strong or polarised as what you describe here. He certainly hasn't yet voiced any kind of horror about what will happen to him during puberty, and we've talked about it a bit. I'm not saying it couldn't or won't happen, but there's no reason to think it will just because he likes wearing skirts.

Allowing eleven and twelve- year-olds to undergo hormone therapy to allow them to experience some of the symptoms of puberty pertaining to the sex they identify with while blocking those their body is naturally prepared to undergo is controversial. The people undergoing the therapy are still considered too young to consent to such elective procedures. At such a young age the idea “it’s just a phase” and “they’ll grow out of it” is very real. Lots of parents (and trans kids) aren’t comfortable pursuing that avenue prior to the kid being fourteen/sixteen/eighteen.

I'll admit I'm not.

That said, the kid does NOT need to undergo the puberty their body is prepared for either, which would only make them more uncomfortable in their own skin as transgendered kids and would make their potential physical transition MUCH more difficult.

That’s what puberty blockers are for. They don’t interfere with a kid’s growth but they do ensure girls who aren’t sure they want to be girls don’t get boobs and periods and boys who aren’t sure they want to be boys don’t grow beards and develop the muscle structure of a grown man. Kids can be taken off them at any time and the puberty their body is programmed to undergo will begin. Kids can also transition from being on puberty blockers at whatever age they and their parents deem appropriate and pursue hormone therapy to block their natural puberty and simulate some of what puberty for the sex they identify with would include.

But you're fucking around with the child's natural growth. And despite all my questions and invitations in this thread, and reading elsewhere, I'm yet to find anyone manage to define for me what this thing called "gender identity" actually IS, in a way that is as much a part of "nature" as growing tits or facial hair. The only people who appear to actually have it as a subjective awareness (as opposed to just going along with it as a social expectation) are transexuals who "knew" they were from babyhood. For everybody else as far as I can tell, there is just biological sex, sexuality/desire, and interests.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm considering a hypothesis that gender awareness itself is an extreme abnormality (I don't mean that pejoratively, just statistically) occuring only in transexuals. Because what little girls trapped in boys' bodies say about "I've always known I'm a girl" is not what little girls in girls bodies say. They just get on with life, pretty indistinguishably from boys until social conditioning takes over.

I think the link earlier about obseved brain difference between trans women and ordinary men is extremely interesting. I suspect this is, like a lot of things, to do with neurological factors that we're only at the very beginning of understanding.

All of which is to say that - IMO - something as radical as puberty blocking followed by SRS at an early age should only be considered in the most extreme circumstances, where someone has a gender identity that is totally opposite to their biological sex, and is in constant, extreme suffering because of it. That doesn't apply to my son, by a long way.

And, at the risk of nit-picking:

Beatsong, do you seriously think being emotionally obtuse, untidy and struggling to find things are exclusively or even predominantly male characteristics? Really?

No. I was being facetious and trying to inject some humour into this otherwise quite challenging thread.

I think pretty much all of what people call "male" or "female" characteristics are bunk, or social conditioning. The only things that can be proven to be male or female characteristics are bodily organs and features, and hormonal patterns (and to some extent the emotional factors that flow from them, like PMS).

That's why explicit and absolute statements of "gender identity" by transexuals don't make any sense to me.
Last edited by Beatsong on Aug 23, 2010 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Beatsong » Aug 23, 2010 11:46 am

Paul1 wrote:
But having a sex-change operation hardly counts as "accepting nature as it is", does it? It's siding with one side of nature (the psychological) and being willing to utterly disfigure and artificialize the other (the physical) to do so.

Well that's your opinion, your son may or may not feel otherwise later on, but at the end of the day, it's his body. If that's what makes your son happy later on in life, then I urge you to fully support him either way.

Agreed. Certainly if he were to make such a decision as an adult, in full awareness of all the factors involved, I would be 100% behind him.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Aug 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Beatsong wrote:
Paul1 wrote:

Agreed. Certainly if he were to make such a decision as an adult, in full awareness of all the factors involved, I would be 100% behind him.

By which point they've already missed out or suffered through an enormous portion of their lives and to an extent have "missed the boat" regarding opportunity to undergo a convincing physical transition they will be happy with. Furthermore, it will be more dangerous and will require more procedures than it would have if the child had been supported through their teens.

Beatsong wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Cases of people regretting having undergone permanent sex reassignment procedures are very, very unusual.

That's not my impression.

For one thing, there appears to be very little systematic follow up of such things, here in the UK at least. Medical authorities tend to lose touch with people who have undergone treatment and noone (AFAIK) has managed to do a proper study of long-term effects. Then there is the problem that doing such a study meaningfully would involve treating a group of transexuals while denying treatment to a control group, and there are possibly insurmountable ethical issues with that. But there are plenty of stories from people who say they regret having had surgery, or who say that it didn't provide the relief from anxiety that they expected it to.

Generally in medical treatment the onus is on the practitioners to prove, via properly followed up surveys etc, that a treatment "works" - ie, in a case like this, that it improves the happiness and well-being of most patients, to a significantly greater extent than it reduces the happiness of others. I don't think anyone has yet provided such proof about SRS. (But then it hasn't been widely carried out for very long.)

Then maybe it’s different in the UK. The case is closed in Canada, which is why public health is responsible for financing the medical aspects of transitions for people who are formally diagnosed as long-term transgendered.

In my experience, cases of people transitioning "back" for the wrong reasons (pushy families or church groups, etc) and then wishing they hadn't done so are more common. Hell, I can think of a number of people who have transitioned back but not regretted a moment they spent as the opposite sex.

Surely there you're talking about people who have not had surgery? AFAIK there is no way to properly reverse the effects of SRS, certainly not to put things back "the way they were".

But yeah, in terms of everything short of that, I have no problem with people of any age living as any gender they want to, for as long as they want to or forever, and I can well imagine you're right about the effects of social pressure.

Nope, I’m talking about people who have had genital surgery. There’s nothing “proper” about sex reassignment surgeries. A lot of the effects of them can be reversed while some can’t. That doesn’t mean those who undergo sex reassignment surgeries can’t reverse many of the readily visible effects those surgeries had and they can’t resume life as people of the sex they currently identify as. I’ve been extremely impressed by the results of several men who have transitioned back from being female.

It doesn't make them less legitimate, no. But it does mean that when looking at them, we have to do so in the context of how 10 year olds typically think and make sense of their world. When a 10 year old makes an absolutist statement like "boys are crap", we shouldn't interpret that the same way as we do when an adult makes such a statement, because they haven't had the experience and education to know about the vast number of possible less-absolutist ways of expressing what they're feeling.

A typical example of this is when parents get divorced, and it's very common for children to completely demonize one parent (usually the father) and idolize the other, apportioning all the blame in a way that is completely unrealistic. Then as they grow up, learn and think and learn and think and learn and think, they come to realise that life is not as simple as that, and often being rapprochement with the estranged parent at a later age.

Again, I haven’t commented on your child or their remark that “boys are crap”. I’m talking about small children who, over several years, continuously and prominently express they are not the gender being imposed on them and are in the wrong body.

Considering the realities of transgenderism, is utterly ridiculous to assume, because the child is small, they don’t know what they’re talking about nor do they understand their own feelings. Rejection of one’s assigned gender from a very young age is the biggest symptom of transgenderism in kidlets.

Indeed! I don't know what you mean by "very", but a large part of my point here is that he DIDN'T show any such rejection, until he was at least 9 and a half. And "rejection" is prossibly too strong a word even there. He says "girls are better than boys" but then he also has no problem dressing as a boy most of the time and having people see him and treat him as one. If anything, I think he's more likely to be "pangender" (if that's a word?) with perfectly healthy elements of both.

Again, I HAVEN’T COMMENTED ON YOUR CHILD OR ANY OF THEIR REMARKS. Why you’re applying everything I’ve said to your kid, I don’t know.

Again, there's absolutely nothing so far to suggest that his sense of gender is anywhere near as strong or polarised as what you describe here. He certainly hasn't yet voiced any kind of horror about what will happen to him during puberty, and we've talked about it a bit. I'm not saying it couldn't or won't happen, but there's no reason to think it will just because he likes wearing skirts.

I HAVEN’T COMMENTED ON YOUR CHILD OR ANY OF THEIR REMARKS. STOP APPLYING EVERYTHING I’VE SAID TO YOUR KID. I HAVE BEEN VERY, VERY CLEAR MY REMARKS ARE IN RESPONSE TO THE NOTION BEING YOUNG MAKES A CHILD’S THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS LESS LEGITIMATE THAN THOSE OF BIG PEOPLE.

Allowing eleven and twelve- year-olds to undergo hormone therapy to allow them to experience some of the symptoms of puberty pertaining to the sex they identify with while blocking those their body is naturally prepared to undergo is controversial. The people undergoing the therapy are still considered too young to consent to such elective procedures. At such a young age the idea “it’s just a phase” and “they’ll grow out of it” is very real. Lots of parents (and trans kids) aren’t comfortable pursuing that avenue prior to the kid being fourteen/sixteen/eighteen.

I'll admit I'm not.

If you’d watched your child growing up, utterly rejecting their assigned gender, experiencing extreme anxiety over the prospect of developing into a body they identify with even less than their current form, which they consider “wrong”, and witnessed them taking nail clippers at their penis at the age of two, you might feel differently.

That said, the kid does NOT need to undergo the puberty their body is prepared for either, which would only make them more uncomfortable in their own skin as transgendered kids and would make their potential physical transition MUCH more difficult.

That’s what puberty blockers are for. They don’t interfere with a kid’s growth but they do ensure girls who aren’t sure they want to be girls don’t get boobs and periods and boys who aren’t sure they want to be boys don’t grow beards and develop the muscle structure of a grown man. Kids can be taken off them at any time and the puberty their body is programmed to undergo will begin. Kids can also transition from being on puberty blockers at whatever age they and their parents deem appropriate and pursue hormone therapy to block their natural puberty and simulate some of what puberty for the sex they identify with would include.

But you're fucking around with the child's natural growth.

No, you absolutely are not. You are postponing it with the understanding allowing it to do as it's programmed to may negatively impact your child psychologically in a profound way and will interfere with their potential ability to transition physically to a convincing extent that they will be happy with in the future.

And despite all my questions and invitations in this thread, and reading elsewhere, I'm yet to find anyone manage to define for me what this thing called "gender identity" actually IS, in a way that is as much a part of "nature" as growing tits or facial hair. The only people who appear to actually have it as a subjective awareness (as opposed to just going along with it as a social expectation) are transexuals who "knew" they were from babyhood. For everybody else as far as I can tell, there is just biological sex, sexuality/desire, and interests.

I absolutely think most children are subjectively aware of their gender identity and the rightness or wrongness of their bodies, predominently as a result of social constructions that are imposed on them from birth. The extent to which every child drifts from these highly restrictive social constructions differs but some differ to the extent they identify as the gender opposite to what is imposed on them and cannot differentiate gender and sex, meaning they feel they are in the wrong body. Others are perfectly happy with their bodies though aware their gender is in contradiction with the gender that would be imposed on their body via social constructions of gender.

Just because it’s natural for someone to grow facial hair doesn’t mean it won’t have a tremendously negative psychological impact on them as a transgendered female and won’t make their potential surgical transition significantly more tedious, challenging and dangerous.

All of which is to say that - IMO - something as radical as puberty blocking followed by SRS at an early age should only be considered in the most extreme circumstances, where someone has a gender identity that is totally opposite to their biological sex, and is in constant, extreme suffering because of it. That doesn't apply to my son, by a long way.

For the last time, NOTHING I SAID WAS INTENDED TO PERTAIN GO YOUR CHILD. I said this about four times in my original post.

I have never suggested puberty blockers, hormone therapy and/or genital reassignment surgery should be used on children outside of extreme circumstances in which health care professionals thoroughly investigate all elements of the situation prior to pursuing anything. I have opposed the notion children's ideas aren't legitimate pertaining to their own gender and sexuality based on the reality of transgenderism in children and the incredible negative impact saying "he's only ten" can have on these kids.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Mononoke » Aug 23, 2010 12:44 pm

I get the feeling that this will not end well.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Paul1 » Aug 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Well as some people have suggested here, it may be more successful before the end of puberty. I really sympathise that it's hard to have your son change into a daughter, especially as parents have so many aspirations for their children. As you are asking for advice here, it's obvious that you are not a professional on the issue. Seek expert advice and educate yourself, don't let preconceptions affect what could potentially be your child's life long happiness.

In this area, both you and your child are as lost as children, so best not to banter around the word "adult" too much.

EDIT: I don't intent to frighten you, condescend you or anything else. No one likes uncertainty. Just to say: Research * 1000. No snap decisions until educated.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Paul1 » Aug 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Also, people need to be nicer to Beatsong. Imagine being faced with the same situation - whatever your views and conceptions, there are always difficult questions to answer when life-long decisions are involved, and most people only want the best for their children.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting & Education