Top American TV comedies

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Top American TV comedies

#41  Postby Darkchilde » Dec 29, 2011 11:12 am

I find most comedies stupid, and rarely I find a comedy series or even a comedy movie with which I can laugh and not be like: WTF is this shit???

Now, the one American comedy series I really am into it, maybe because it relates to my geekiness and nerdiness, is The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon rules!!!!
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2011 11:15 am

ED209 wrote:And, Family Guy is still tops.

Really! Well I see that now and again if that is tops I would hate to see the bottom :shock:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby mindhack » Dec 29, 2011 11:51 am

Darkchilde wrote:I find most comedies stupid, and rarely I find a comedy series or even a comedy movie with which I can laugh and not be like: WTF is this shit???

I agree, though I really like southpark and to a lesser degree third rock from the sun
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2011 11:54 am

mindhack wrote:
Darkchilde wrote:I find most comedies stupid, and rarely I find a comedy series or even a comedy movie with which I can laugh and not be like: WTF is this shit???

I agree, though I really like southpark and to a lesser degree third rock from the sun

On which channel do watch that?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#45  Postby mindhack » Dec 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
mindhack wrote:

pfoe, has been a while back. I don't really watch tv anymore. I believe 3rd rock was on comedy central. I watched southpark online http://www.southparkstudios.com
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2011 12:02 pm

mindhack wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
mindhack wrote:

pfoe, has been a while back. I don't really watch tv anymore. I believe 3rd rock was on comedy central. I watched southpark online http://www.southparkstudios.com

Ok I thought it might have shown on Dutch television.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#47  Postby natselrox » Dec 29, 2011 12:16 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:I watched a few episodes of The Big Bang Theory when it first started and I thought it was a bit shit.

I watched the first season. It got repetitive after that. :yawn:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#48  Postby z8000783 » Dec 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Had the same characters in it you mean?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#49  Postby natselrox » Dec 29, 2011 12:26 pm

z8000783 wrote:Had the same characters in it you mean?

Yep. Didn't even change the costumes.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#50  Postby z8000783 » Dec 29, 2011 1:12 pm

They seem to live in the same apartment every week as well.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#51  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Dec 29, 2011 5:33 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Most of the programmes mentioned here are barely amusing to me. You guys have to have some hidden gems out there. Something off the main network. C'mon, don't be holding out on me. I know you must have something more than these feel good sitcoms.

I have never seen a funny American show. They are not popular where as Britsh comedy show go down a treat and the Dutch cant get enough of them.

Americans always do the same. Get a good formula then milk it wrotten.

For for the most part, that is sadly true. Most of my favorite sitcoms have been British. Father Ted, Faulty Towers, Red Dwarf. But there are a few American gems that brake the mold, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Wilfred (Australian transplant). If you consider animated series as sitcoms there is The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park and Futurama.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#52  Postby aban57 » Dec 29, 2011 6:40 pm

Now, the one American comedy series I really am into it, maybe because it relates to my geekiness and nerdiness, is The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon rules!!!!

My exact point of view !

And The IT Crowd is quit good too, but english I'm afraid...
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Animavore » Dec 29, 2011 6:43 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Most of the programmes mentioned here are barely amusing to me. You guys have to have some hidden gems out there. Something off the main network. C'mon, don't be holding out on me. I know you must have something more than these feel good sitcoms.

I have never seen a funny American show. They are not popular where as Britsh comedy show go down a treat and the Dutch cant get enough of them.

For for the most part, that is sadly true. Most of my favorite sitcoms have been British. Father Ted, Faulty Towers, Red Dwarf. But there are a few American gems that brake the mold, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Wilfred (Australian transplant). If you consider animated series as sitcoms there is The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park and Futurama.

Irish people aren't British :cry:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Darkchilde » Dec 29, 2011 6:46 pm

aban57 wrote:

My exact point of view !

And The IT Crowd is quit good too, but english I'm afraid...

I find British comedies much more to my liking. And have heard good things about the IT crowd. Will try it at some point.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Mazille » Dec 29, 2011 8:36 pm

As always, my lovely colleague here is spot on.
Edit: Although I have to add that season 4 was by far the weakest of them and season 5 is only starting to get better again since the last four or five episodes.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#56  Postby aban57 » Dec 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Darkchilde wrote:
I find British comedies much more to my liking. And have heard good things about the IT crowd. Will try it at some point.

You really should, some scenes are unforgettable

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDA1HUmuuJo[/youtube]

or
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXww8aizAM[/youtube]
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#57  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Dec 29, 2011 10:42 pm

Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Irish people aren't British :cry:

I'm well aware of that. But British comedies about Irish parishes are British. :P

I'm not sure if the designation of country for a comedy depends on the country of the production company or the country where it is set, but if I got that wrong my apologies.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Nostalgia » Dec 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

:shock:

If it wasn't for the wee stars-n-stripes I would assume you were Canadian getting your own back an Ani. :naughty2:

I have to agree, with the exception of some brilliant cartoons (add King of the Hill and Bob's Burgers to the list above) US comedies on average aren't as good as British (and Irish). Personally, I've thought about this before and I think there are three main causes to this.

1. In all fairness, there are many more American shows made so obviously there's going to be loads of shit ones. Also, pretty much all of them will be transported to Britain and other nations whilst America will only get the pick of the crop of British shows.
2. The writing culture is different in the States, partially because it is a more money driven and business-like industry (once again, thank you BBC). This can be seen in how many American comedy shows are written. You'll get a dozen people sitting around a table shouting ideas and gags at each other. Only one or two British shows are written like this afaik (the horrendous My Family being one of them). Most others are written more organically with one or two writers.
3. TV execs underestimating their audience, or maybe not but pandering to the lowest common denominator. If they think 'Middle America' won't get a show they shit themselves because of the potential loss of cash. This would be akin to a BBC producer worrying that Devon wouldn't get a show. Even if the BBC had to worry about advertising this wouldn't be an issue.

But I must say that I feel this trend is reversed when it comes to many types of drama shows, particularly science fiction.

Animavore wrote:Irish people aren't British :cry:

Not yet. :cigar:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Nostalgia » Dec 29, 2011 11:59 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:I'm not sure if the designation of country for a comedy depends on the country of the production company or the country where it is set, but if I got that wrong my apologies.

Neither. It's the nationality of the writers. And they were Irish. I know this because I've seen them on TV and they had funny high pitched accents... :shhh:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#60  Postby I'm With Stupid » Dec 30, 2011 12:03 am

Beavis and Butthead has just come back. And the fact that they now comment on shit MTV shows makes it even funnier.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV