On social justice and social justice warriors

Split from 'Television Shows you're currently Enjoying'

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: On social justice and social justice warriors

#121  Postby felltoearth » Jul 06, 2020 11:27 am

OMG! Sex signalling!!!!!11!1!1! BEWARE A DANGEROUS WOMAN IS ON THE LOOSE USING HER SEXINESS!!!1!1!1!!!1!1!1!1111!!!!

I’ve seen some stupid sexist shit here in my time, but man.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#122  Postby Svartalf » Jul 06, 2020 11:37 am

Animavore wrote:I don't know why people keeps saying Captain Marvel is a Mary Sue when it's clear she had military training at home and advanced training from the Kree in space. She doesn't fall into the category at all.

To me, the premise of that movie is weird... I'm not familiar with the later (post 80s) comics biography of Carol Danvers, but as she was conceived early, she was neither a fighter pilot, (she was originally introduced as the top security officer at the Marvel answer to Cape Canaveral, and far too young to be a retired pilot... not that there were any female pilots then), nor Kree trained (she had tight ties to Mar Vell, but he became outcast from the Kree pretty early in the plotline).

So I have no certitude about it being Captain Mary Sue , but it sure tramples the nature of the character as I knew her and thus is an abomination for which quesada and the disney staff shall be crucified and made to sing Always look on the Bright Side of Life.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Mike_L » Jul 06, 2020 11:54 am

Hermit wrote:
Mike_L wrote:A lot of exaggerated self-preening and overall smugness in that performance...

Mike_L wrote:She's sex-signaling to the audience...

Do you have any idea, Mike_L, what impression you create of yourself when you resort to commenting on a person's demeanour without simultaneously coming up with a single valid criticism about the substance of what they said?

She wants movie reviews subject to race-based, gender-based quotas. Her wish list is largely superfluous, because the majority of formal movie critics are already sufficiently woke to review on the basis of how many SJW boxes are checked. Fortunately, audiences know better...

rotten_to_the_core.jpg
rotten_to_the_core.jpg (170.24 KiB) Viewed 687 times

felltoearth wrote:OMG! Sex signalling!!!!!11!1!1! BEWARE A DANGEROUS WOMAN IS ON THE LOOSE USING HER SEXINESS!!!1!1!1!!!1!1!1!1111!!!!

She's a hypocrite. She panders to the Patriarchy by shaving her armpits, then indulges herself in a display of virtue signaling.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#124  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jul 06, 2020 11:59 am

No no, dig UP.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#125  Postby LucidFlight » Jul 06, 2020 12:39 pm

Mike_L wrote:
She's a hypocrite. She panders to the Patriarchy by shaving her armpits, then indulges herself in a display of virtue signaling.

If she were a real feminist, she'd grow a moustache.

[Edit: added quote for context.] :shifty:
Last edited by LucidFlight on Jul 06, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#126  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Mike_L wrote:
She wants movie reviews subject to race-based, gender-based quotas.

Says the guy who can't deal with anything not sufficiently white cis hetero male :lol:

virtue signaling

ironylulz
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Fallible » Jul 06, 2020 12:57 pm

Mike_L wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Mike_L wrote:A lot of exaggerated self-preening and overall smugness in that performance...

Mike_L wrote:She's sex-signaling to the audience...

Do you have any idea, Mike_L, what impression you create of yourself when you resort to commenting on a person's demeanour without simultaneously coming up with a single valid criticism about the substance of what they said?

She wants movie reviews subject to race-based, gender-based quotas. Her wish list is largely superfluous, because the majority of formal movie critics are already sufficiently woke to review on the basis of how many SJW boxes are checked. Fortunately, audiences know better...

rotten_to_the_core.jpg

felltoearth wrote:OMG! Sex signalling!!!!!11!1!1! BEWARE A DANGEROUS WOMAN IS ON THE LOOSE USING HER SEXINESS!!!1!1!1!!!1!1!1!1111!!!!

You do know there are other reasons for shaving pits, right? And you’re just typing this puerile crap because you want to get a rise out of everyone, right? If not, then I’m sorry to inform you that you have become lost in about 1985, when the uninformed spat out questions starting ‘can you be a feminist and...’ like one of those mechanical tennis ball servers. ‘Can you be a feminist and wear high heals? Can you be a feminist and wear lipstick? Can you be a feminist and do the housework? Can you be a feminist and shave your pits? You appear to think the answer is ‘no’. Watch everyone reel in pure disbelief when it turns out you don’t have a very good understanding of this topic. Allegedly.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#128  Postby OlivierK » Jul 06, 2020 1:19 pm

Mike, sometimes what you post is funny. Sometimes what you post is thought-provoking, and on the rare occasions when you're not trolling, often clever.

But this? This is just shit. I don't get it. Maybe you think you're getting a rise, but I'm pretty confident everyone's just waiting for you to bugger off, because what you're posting is stupid, and boring beyond belief.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Mike_L » Jul 06, 2020 1:24 pm

She's perpetuating a stereotype beloved by the Patriarchy... that female superheroes must be smooth.
Furthermore, hirsutism is a means by which leftist women can demonstrate their hatred for Donald Trump.
How can you be sure that the clean-shaven Brie Larson is not, in secret, a Trump supporter?
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#130  Postby Fallible » Jul 06, 2020 1:31 pm

Let me know when it’s your bed time so I know when to log back on.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#131  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 06, 2020 1:44 pm

Mike_L wrote:She's perpetuating a stereotype beloved by the Patriarchy... that female superheroes must be smooth.
Furthermore, hirsutism is a means by which leftist women can demonstrate their hatred for Donald Trump.
How can you be sure that the clean-shaven Brie Larson is not, in secret, a Trump supporter?

Oh ha ha ha ha, oh ho ho ho, ah ha ha ha ha!

Okay, you can go back to bed now, grandpa. Make sure you change your Depends first, seems they're full.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Mike_L » Jul 06, 2020 2:00 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:...
Okay, you can go back to bed now, grandpa. Make sure you change your Depends first, seems they're full.

Ageist bigotry. Reported.

(No, not really).
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#133  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 06, 2020 2:06 pm

You realize you've only got one joke, right?

(Preemptively self-reported for bigotry towards the humor-disabled)
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 06, 2020 4:22 pm

Animavore wrote:I don't know why people keeps saying Captain Marvel is a Mary Sue when it's clear she had military training at home and advanced training from the Kree in space. She doesn't fall into the category at all.

They just can't seem to fathom the notion of a woman superhero, no matter the background.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#135  Postby laklak » Jul 06, 2020 4:30 pm

Look, IF a woman wants to grow pit hair it's her business. I'd suggest some tasteful Bo Derek style beads and braids for formal occasions, but I am a bit of a traditionalist.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Svartalf » Jul 06, 2020 5:05 pm

I like hair natural, you have to love a woman's natural scent, and armpit hair is the best place to preserve that.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#137  Postby arugula2 » Jul 06, 2020 5:36 pm

Your two avatars are perfect for this. It's like a planetary alignment.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#138  Postby laklak » Jul 06, 2020 5:39 pm

Apparently there is a big alignment thingy happening right now. It's cosmic, man.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#139  Postby arugula2 » Jul 06, 2020 5:41 pm

Yeah, I tried looking for info on it, but then I realized I didn't care. :whine:
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Animavore » Jul 06, 2020 5:47 pm

Svartalf wrote:

To me, the premise of that movie is weird... I'm not familiar with the later (post 80s) comics biography of Carol Danvers, but as she was conceived early, she was neither a fighter pilot, (she was originally introduced as the top security officer at the Marvel answer to Cape Canaveral, and far too young to be a retired pilot... not that there were any female pilots then), nor Kree trained (she had tight ties to Mar Vell, but he became outcast from the Kree pretty early in the plotline).

So I have no certitude about it being Captain Mary Sue , but it sure tramples the nature of the character as I knew her and thus is an abomination for which quesada and the disney staff shall be crucified and made to sing Always look on the Bright Side of Life.

Like all the Marvel Cinematic Universe characters she draws influence form multiple versions. I think a lot of them more recent.

You could say the same about all the MCU characters. To the point now that many comic fans have resigned themselves to accepting that the MCU and the comics are two separate entities to avoid disappointment.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion