"Ground of all Being"?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: "Ground of all Being"?

#1781  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Kafei wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Kafei wrote:Although, they've also shown if an atheist undergoes a "complete" mystical experience, he/she will no longer identify as an atheist after this event.

I doubt they've shown anything of the kind, and you're reduced to making ex recto assertions. What you've written confirms the tautology between one brand of "complete mystical experience" and "ceasing to identify as an atheist". Semantics for the win.

One of the many Youtube clips is of a lecture where someone was describing something (it was over an hour long, so I didn't track back and find out all the details) where 64% of atheists stopped identifying as atheist after a mystical experience. That's not insignificant, if the sample size was large enough and the procedure was rigorous enough, but it's certainly not the case that atheists who have a mystical experience will change their mind, especially since it appeared this was one of the many experiments run by a true believer who selected their participants.

Try 70-80%. These are significant numbers.

Yes, maybe you can hit that success rate if you hand-pick your subjects carefully enough, but any failures begin to look pretty grim to a skeptic. The other side of that coin is naming your target after you've let fly the arrow. Get a bullseye every time.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1782  Postby Thommo » Sep 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Kafei wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Kafei wrote:Although, they've also shown if an atheist undergoes a "complete" mystical experience, he/she will no longer identify as an atheist after this event.

I doubt they've shown anything of the kind, and you're reduced to making ex recto assertions. What you've written confirms the tautology between one brand of "complete mystical experience" and "ceasing to identify as an atheist". Semantics for the win.

One of the many Youtube clips is of a lecture where someone was describing something (it was over an hour long, so I didn't track back and find out all the details) where 64% of atheists stopped identifying as atheist after a mystical experience. That's not insignificant, if the sample size was large enough and the procedure was rigorous enough, but it's certainly not the case that atheists who have a mystical experience will change their mind, especially since it appeared this was one of the many experiments run by a true believer who selected their participants.

Try 70-80%. These are significant numbers.

See, this is what makes it hard to take you seriously. If it matters enough to correct, then you should make sure you're actually getting it correct. Especially since it was your bloody link in the first place and you're making such a song and dance about people not understanding or not reading carefully enough, and contrasting it with yourself, who you claim has a superior understanding and has been far more meticulous.

Kafei wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bu3q3GMHfE#t=34m36s

Anyone who really cares for accuracy and honesty might notice that 64% is correct for those taking Psilocybin and the overall total is 65%.

Really, this is just beyond lazy and sloppy. Which is a pretty good reason not to waste time on it. I was literally accurately reporting something you posted in what's rapidly becoming a Gish Gallop, and you've now contradicted yourself in your attempt to gainsay me.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1783  Postby Thommo » Sep 23, 2018 6:30 pm

Incidentally Cito, the video does state exactly what those percentages are from if you go back to about the 31:00 mark. It's respondents to an internet survey asking for people who have had an experience of capital-G God or an angel or something similar like a higher power.

So yeah, of the people who would answer that they experienced God, most were now religious. Truly stunning stuff. I'm sure you're as blown away as I am.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1784  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Thommo wrote:
Kafei wrote:http://www.atpweb.org/jtparchive/trps-41-02-139.pdf

Like your previous link you're quoting selectively. The very next paragraph explains what the author regards as the scientific version:
For research purposes at Johns Hopkins, we consider a complete experience of mystical consciousness as a state of human awareness that, when expressed and content-analyzed or measured by psychometric instruments, can be found to include all six categories. One also could formulate a category of ‘‘incomplete mystical consciousness’’ that may not include the complete transcendence ofthe ego, or noteworthy noetic content.

That is a mystical experience is one in which a participant reports the following six conditions are met:
(a) Unity, approached either internally with closed eyes or externally through sense perception,
(b) Transcendence of Time & Space,
(c) Intuitive Knowledge (the noetic quality),
(d) Sacredness or Awesomeness,
(e) Deeply-Felt Positive Mood— love, purity,peace, joy, and
(f) Ineffability and Paradoxicality

None of which appears to remotely guarantee anything divine. It's also an unfortunate circularity that those who have mystical experiences are defined as those who experience unity and other qualities that are definitive of the perennial philosophy, and therefore anyone who has a transcendent experience of a different nature is simply not counted as having had a mystical experience.*

It's not like multiple people pointed this to him before.... :roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1785  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Thommo wrote:Yeah, you've got nothing, except vapid personal attacks.

Given that's the way you respond, there's clearly no point reading further and giving detailed replies including quotes from your own sources to establish what the science actually shows. You're far too emotionally invested and this approach is incredibly closed-minded. The fact that your first response in every instance is simply attacking your interlocutors, projecting your own bias and investment onto them (seriously, 99% of your posts are in this one thread) says it all.

Yep, a strong combo of the Emperor's New Clothes and projecting his own emotional investment and lack of understanding unto his interlocutors.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1786  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 23, 2018 10:32 pm

As expected, just like on AE, Kafei continues to dodge the question:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Kafei wrote: Perhaps if he'd given me a chance,

You have a chance right now; present rigorous definitions of the following terms:
- god
- mystical

Definitions, not rambling stories about perennialism or scientific studies, definitions.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1787  Postby Kafei » Sep 24, 2018 3:40 am

Keep It Real wrote:I estimate I've taken psylocybin around half a dozen times and I'm still an atheist.

Half a dozen times? Have you learned how to spell it yet? I really doubt you had what these researchers are referring to as a "complete" mystical experience. You see, they're using doses quite high in this research, akin to what Terence McKenna called a "heroic dose." There's many people who've taken this stuff recreational hundreds of times, not simply half a dozen, and they never approach what these professionals are talking about. That's an important point to emphasize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_6Wf8Xuq70&t=8m55s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYFS3zwN14#t=9m43s

Thommo wrote:Anyone who really cares for accuracy and honesty might notice that 64% is correct for those taking Psilocybin and the overall total is 65%. Really, this is just beyond lazy and sloppy. Which is a pretty good reason not to waste time on it. I was literally accurately reporting something you posted in what's rapidly becoming a Gish Gallop, and you've now contradicted yourself in your attempt to gainsay me.

I haven't contradicted myself. Recall, this is a double-blind study, there's two groups, the majority of atheists after this event the majority of these atheists in both groups no longer identified as atheists (64% and 74% in psilocybin and non-drug groups, respectively). When I said 70-80%, I'm referring to the overall studies done at Johns Hopkins, this is the overall rate of volunteers who will meet criteria for the so-called "complete" mystical experience.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#1788  Postby Kafei » Sep 24, 2018 3:43 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:As expected, just like on AE, Kafei continues to dodge the question:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

You have a chance right now; present rigorous definitions of the following terms:
- god
- mystical

Definitions, not rambling stories about perennialism or scientific studies, definitions.

I've explained that the divine is defined within the context of Perennialism which is aligned with the scientific research, they've also defined the "complete" mystical experience quite concretely over decades of research and refining this term.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#1789  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 24, 2018 6:32 am

Kafei wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:As expected, just like on AE, Kafei continues to dodge the question:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

- god
- mystical

I've explained that the divine is defined within the context of Perennialism which is aligned with the scientific research, they've also defined the "complete" mystical experience quite concretely over decades of research and refining this term.

Continued dodging noted.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1790  Postby Thommo » Sep 24, 2018 6:54 am

Kafei wrote:
Thommo wrote:Anyone who really cares for accuracy and honesty might notice that 64% is correct for those taking Psilocybin and the overall total is 65%. Really, this is just beyond lazy and sloppy. Which is a pretty good reason not to waste time on it. I was literally accurately reporting something you posted in what's rapidly becoming a Gish Gallop, and you've now contradicted yourself in your attempt to gainsay me.

I haven't contradicted myself. Recall, this is a double-blind study...

No it isn't. What are you even talking about?

That's an internet study, it says it right in your clip. It doesn't show 100% of atheists converting, or 70-80% of atheists converting, both your first two attempts to describe the result were wrong and now you're getting the methodology wrong.

Have you even watched your own clip? Here's a still from the description of that study (hint: he talks about more than one):

This was an internet survey that recruited participants by asking them (Clearly shown in your own video at 31:10) whether they had an experience of encountering something that they might call "God", "Higher Power", "Ultimate Reality", or an Aspect or Emissary of God.

What it showed was not that 64% of atheists who took psilocybin would cease to be atheists, nor that 64% of atheists who had a mystical experience would cease to be atheists, but rather that 64% of people who had an experience of God and said they were previously atheists were no longer atheists. This is completely, unrecognisably different. It would be perfectly possible for there to be a 0% or 1% conversion rate of atheists (to the nearest whole percent) and to get this result. Although I hasten to add I do not claim that it is 0% or 1% in reality.

Kafei wrote:there's two groups, the majority of atheists after this event the majority of these atheists in both groups no longer identified as atheists (64% and 74% in psilocybin and non-drug groups, respectively). When I said 70-80%, I'm referring to the overall studies done at Johns Hopkins, this is the overall rate of volunteers who will meet criteria for the so-called "complete" mystical experience.

Well you haven't got a clue what you're talking about then. You've described this study's methodology incorrectly, its results incorrectly and now you've linked another result from a different study that also relates in no way whatsoever to the claim that 70-80% of atheists who have a mystical experience cease to be atheists.

F-
Thommo

Print view this post

#1791  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 24, 2018 7:08 am

Kafei wrote:there's two groups, the majority of atheists after this event the majority of these atheists in both groups no longer identified as atheists (64% and 74% in psilocybin and non-drug groups, respectively).

I don't understand this - it looks to me like you're saying 74% of atheists were no longer atheists after the procedure, and that those ex-atheists didn't have any psilocybin (being part of the non-drug group). Confusing presentation at least...

I'm going to weigh in on the framing effects and demand characteristics of these studies. I mean there's even a statue of Buddha in the mock-up living room where the trips take place, not to mention all the meditation sessions etc I mean really, FFS :roll:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#1792  Postby Thommo » Sep 24, 2018 7:25 am

Keep It Real wrote:I don't understand this - it looks to me like you're saying 74% of atheists were no longer atheists after the procedure, and that those ex-atheists didn't have any psilocybin (being part of the non-drug group). Confusing presentation at least...

So this is the section of the video that is under discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bu3q3GMHfE#t=31m07s

It describes one of a series of studies into the active ingredient of Magic Mushrooms, a drug called psilocybin, that are being carried out at Johns Hopkins University.

This particular study was conducted by asking people questions over the internet. They recruited people who would say they had previously had an experience of God (1985 participants in total). 58% of those recruited had had an experience of God after taking psilocybin, and 42% had had an experience of God without taking a drug.

So of these people who would state that they had experienced God, some would also say they were atheists. This was about 231 of the people who said they experienced God while on Magic Mushrooms, and about 25 of the people who said they had experienced God without taking any drug.

So what the statistics show is that of the people who experienced God and had taken drugs to do so and had previously been atheists about 148 said they were no longer atheists and 83 said they were still atheists. Of the people who experienced God and had not taken drugs to do so and had previously been atheists about 19 said they were no longer atheists and 6 said they were still atheists.

The bigger suprise here is that anyone at all would say they had experienced God, but did not believe in God.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1793  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 24, 2018 7:29 am

Thommo wrote:The bigger suprise here is that anyone at all would say they had experienced God, but did not believe in God.

All that this requires is a little post-experiential introspection about one's experience. I mean, somebody either chooses to believe in God based on an experience of God or one does not. It's a subtle point for some people to master. The way it looks to me is: it's as if Baba Ram Das puked, and I slipped on the puddle of puke and fell down, and called that an experience of God.

Another way to put this is that you either go into your experience pre-disposed to consider the possibility that it may lead to an experience of God, or you do not. In the case where the predisposition is present, slipping on some puke and falling down may be enough, at least in some rare cases.

Again I say: It's a subtle point to master. Some people apparently think it is unfair to lock the door, so to speak, prior to anything that is purported by some to produce an experience of God. You have to consider the source when people purport that something is prone to giving an experience of God.

This is an extension of my sermon on the goat-roasters, whose dumb-ass myths predispose many people to expect the possibility of an experience of God. You either recognize they were a bunch of ignorant slobs, or you a priori decide that an experience of God is possible.

Perhaps all that is required in order to hang on to your atheist union card is to keep schtum about any experiences of God you may or may not be having, have had, or hope to have. (Voice of Alexander Dane: Is this shit ever going to end? No, it isn't.)
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1794  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 24, 2018 11:54 am

Cito di Pense wrote:Another way to put this is that you either go into your experience pre-disposed to consider the possibility that it may lead to an experience of God, or you do not. In the case where the predisposition is present, slipping on some puke and falling down may be enough, at least in some rare cases.

All the meditation and spiritual classes (up to 36 hours of them!) the participants went through, along with the strong possibility the experimenters said circa "We're investigating mystical experiences when taking psilocybin - lots of people have said they experience the Perrenial philosophy while tripping, experience God, basically - feelings of oneness and universal love". Combine this with the fact the experimenters are figures of authority, especially to the educated and atheist participants, being highly qualified nominal scientists, and then such predisposition/priming/demand characteristics are unavoidable and extremely strong. Then there's the Buddha statue in the experimental "living room".

Cito di Pense wrote:This is an extension of my sermon on the goat-roasters, whose dumb-ass myths predispose many people to expect the possibility of an experience of God. You either recognize they were a bunch of ignorant slobs, or you a priori decide that an experience of God is possible.

Not just the goat roasters, their flock too and their descendants. There's even one in the Whitehouse. I'd be interested to see what results came out of a more secular society.

ETA: :this: is in reference to the lab studies. Thanks for explaining the internet study Thommo; just watched the vid. Agree with your last sentence. How totally unremarkable that a high percentage of people who said they had had an experience of god now believe in god.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#1795  Postby Kafei » Sep 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Thommo wrote:The bigger suprise here is that anyone at all would say they had experienced God, but did not believe in God.

All that this requires is a little post-experiential introspection about one's experience. I mean, somebody either chooses to believe in God based on an experience of God or one does not. It's a subtle point for some people to master. The way it looks to me is: it's as if Baba Ram Das puked, and I slipped on the puddle of puke and fell down, and called that an experience of God.

I wouldn't equate slipping on Richard Alpert's puke an "experience of God" the way that a "complete" mystical experience is being described as one.

Cito di Pense wrote:Another way to put this is that you either go into your experience pre-disposed to consider the possibility that it may lead to an experience of God, or you do not. In the case where the predisposition is present, slipping on some puke and falling down may be enough, at least in some rare cases.

I really doubt these atheists were primed to lose their atheism, if that's what you're suggesting. This is something that could potentially happen to you, and cause you to discard your atheism.

Cito di Pense wrote:Again I say: It's a subtle point to master. Some people apparently think it is unfair to lock the door, so to speak, prior to anything that is purported by some to produce an experience of God. You have to consider the source when people purport that something is prone to giving an experience of God.

The "complete" mystical experience by its very nature has always been divine. This is precisely why they're creating survey data to assess the divine nature of these experiences. To quote Griffiths, ". We are writing up some interesting survey data about God encounter experiences that people report either after taking a psychedelic drug or in absence of any history of psychedelic exposure. Those that take the psychedelic are most likely to use “ultimate reality” as the best descriptor of what they encountered. Those who did not take a psychedelic are most likely to use “God” as the descriptor. Despite that difference, the attributes of that which was encountered and the claimed enduring effects are very similar between the two groups." - R. R. Griffiths

Cito di Pense wrote:This is an extension of my sermon on the goat-roasters, whose dumb-ass myths predispose many people to expect the possibility of an experience of God. You either recognize they were a bunch of ignorant slobs, or you a priori decide that an experience of God is possible.

An a priori experience of God is possible, and that's what has been demonstrated by this research.

Cito di Pense wrote:Perhaps all that is required in order to hang on to your atheist union card is to keep schtum about any experiences of God you may or may not be having, have had, or hope to have. (Voice of Alexander Dane: Is this shit ever going to end? No, it isn't.)

You can go ahead and assume that, but it's quite obvious you've not had a "complete" mystical experience for yourself, and therefore do not know how to relate or even judge the experience, and so you make these very naïve assumptions about it.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#1796  Postby Kafei » Sep 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Kafei wrote:

I haven't contradicted myself. Recall, this is a double-blind study...

Thommo wrote:No it isn't. What are you even talking about?

I'm talking about the fact that these are double-blind clinical trails that are taking place at Johns Hopkins to investigate "mystical experience" via psilocybin in a pill. What are you talking about?

Thommo wrote:That's an internet study, it says it right in your clip. It doesn't show 100% of atheists converting, or 70-80% of atheists converting, both your first two attempts to describe the result were wrong and now you're getting the methodology wrong.

You seem heavily confused. The internet thing was a survey that added to the measures they're using in the research after the psilocybin sessions had taken place. The two sessions showed 64% and 74% in psilocybin and non-drug groups, respectively. What they mean by psilocybin group and non-drug group is that the non-drug group couldn't have any experience with psychedelics whatsoever, while the other group has admitted to having some experience with psychedelics. The 70-80% statistic I've mentioned is the rate at which volunteers will meet criteria for the so-called "complete" mystical experience in each one of these studies.

Thommo wrote:Have you even watched your own clip?

Of course, I follow this research quite diligently, and have seen all these lectures of which I've posted in their entirety. I don't post these links for my own convenience, I post them for yours, to aid in your understanding of the research. I've read all the peer-reviewed material, I've seen the lectures, some more than once, etc. I post these links, let me be clear, for your convenience and others throughout the thread who are unfamiliar with this research.
Last edited by Kafei on Sep 24, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#1797  Postby Thommo » Sep 24, 2018 6:15 pm

I really love the PeeWee Herman stuff. But generally when you're saying things like "have you even watched your own clip?" it requires someone to have actually posted one. I reposted your clip, to make clear what you were referring to. I didn't post a clip.

I've no idea why you're suggesting I'm confused while incorrectly describing the section of the video you posted, for the umpteenth time in a row. If you spend even a cursory amount of time watching the section where those results are quoted you'll see that it's not, as you suggest a result from a double blind experiment, it's a result from a completely different experiment involving ~2,000 online participants. Again - not a complex concept, they conducted more than one experiment, but one guy gave a talk describing those multiple experiments.

I won't dispute that 70-80% of people who take psilocybin meet the arbitrary 60% score across 6 measures to qualify as having had a mystical experience*. But on the other hand we weren't discussing that claim, we were discussing this one:

If you're so unable to parse the logical structure of your own posts, that you can't understand the difference between the number of atheists that when given psilocybin will have a "mystical experience" and the number of atheists that if they have a "mystical experience" will cease to consider themselves atheists then it's probably a waste of time explaining further.

Kafei wrote:Of course, I follow this research quite diligently...

Patently not. Diligence does not involve repeatedly, even after correction, getting basic details like number of participants, methodology, and results wrong.

*And pre-empting the objection here, I've taken that language and criterion from your own video, yet again.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1798  Postby Kafei » Sep 24, 2018 6:35 pm

Thommo wrote:I really love the PeeWee Herman stuff. But generally when you're saying things like "have you even watched your own clip?" it requires someone to have actually posted one. I reposted your clip, to make clear what you were referring to. I didn't post a clip.

I've no idea why you're suggesting I'm confused while incorrectly describing the section of the video you posted, for the umpteenth time in a row. If you spend even a cursory amount of time watching the section where those results are quoted you'll see that it's not, as you suggest a result from a double blind experiment, it's a result from a completely different experiment involving ~2,000 online participants. Again - not a complex concept, they conducted more than one experiment, but one guy gave a talk describing those multiple experiments.

You're obviously just being introduced to this stuff. Yes, the initial survey was done on the internet with people who claimed to have profound experience with psychedelics, and so they're also integrating these surveys as part of their measures for their laboratory volunteers. I've actually e-mailed Griffiths concerning this, and here's his response, "We are writing up some interesting survey data about God encounter experiences that people report either after taking a psychedelic drug or in absence of any history of psychedelic exposure. Those that take the psychedelic are most likely to use “ultimate reality” as the best descriptor of what they encountered. Those who did not take a psychedelic are most likely to use “God” as the descriptor. Despite that difference, the attributes of that which was encountered and the claimed enduring effects are very similar between the two groups." - R. R. Griffiths

Thommo wrote:I won't dispute that 70-80% of people who take psilocybin meet the arbitrary 60% score across 6 measures to qualify as having had a mystical experience*. But on the other hand we weren't discussing that claim, we were discussing this one:

If you're so unable to parse the logical structure of your own posts, that you can't understand the difference between the number of atheists that when given psilocybin will have a "mystical experience" and the number of atheists that if they have a "mystical experience" will cease to consider themselves atheists then it's probably a waste of time explaining further.

It's not a waste of time. I believe you simply doubt that the efficacy of psilocybin to cause an atheist to cease being an atheist. What I was attempting to point out here is that the ratio of atheists who no longer identify with atheism after this event corresponds approximately to the ratio of individuals who meet criteria for the so-called "complete" mystical experience.

Thommo wrote:
Kafei wrote:Of course, I follow this research quite diligently...

Patently not. Diligence does not involve repeatedly, even after correction, getting basic details like number of participants, methodology, and results wrong.

Again, I feel you're simply being introduced to this research, and so you've projected these misconceptions upon myself.

Thommo wrote:*And pre-empting the objection here, I've taken that language and criterion from your own video, yet again.

Yeah, and you either have misunderstood what I've said or you're simply intellectually set-up to doubt this stuff by virtue of your prolonged identification as an atheist.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#1799  Postby Thommo » Sep 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Honestly.

:lol:
Thommo

Print view this post

#1800  Postby Kafei » Sep 24, 2018 6:43 pm

Keep It Real wrote:

All the meditation and spiritual classes (up to 36 hours of them!) the participants went through, along with the strong possibility the experimenters said circa "We're investigating mystical experiences when taking psilocybin - lots of people have said they experience the Perrenial philosophy while tripping, experience God, basically - feelings of oneness and universal love". Combine this with the fact the experimenters are figures of authority, especially to the educated and atheist participants, being highly qualified nominal scientists, and then such predisposition/priming/demand characteristics are unavoidable and extremely strong. Then there's the Buddha statue in the experimental "living room".

The 36 hours was dedicated to meditative practices. They wanted to see what was more profound, the mystical experiences induced through long-term meditation or the mystical experience induced by psilocybin. The living room setting, by the way, is to avoid a cold hospital bed with banal surroundings. They had various religious symbols in surround that represent the major religions, but the purpose is to create more of a therapeutic setting as opposed to a laboratory setting. The participants were directed to lie down on a couch and wear a blindfold, anyway. So, I think you're pouring too much emphasis on the fact that they had a Buddha statue in the room. What's wrong with that? Are you so atheist that you cringe at a religious symbol? If you don't mind, I'd like to quote an article that I believe somewhat sums up this research:

In case you hadn’t noticed, we’re in the middle of a psychedelic renaissance. Research into the healing potential of psychedelics has re-started at prestigious universities such as Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and Imperial College London, and is making rock stars out of the scientists carrying it out. Their findings are being reported with joy and exultation by mainstream media – on CNN, the BBC, even the Daily Mail. Respectable publishers such as Penguin are behind psychedelics bestsellers such as Michael Pollan’s book How To Change Your Mind (2018), which was reviewed enthusiastically across the political spectrum. Silicon Valley billionaires are putting their blockchain millions into funding psychedelics research, and corporates are preparing for a juicy new market. The counterculture has gone mainstream. Turn on, tune in, sell out.

The renaissance involves the resurrection of many ideas from the first ‘summer of love’ in 1967, in particular, the mystical theory of psychedelics. This idea was introduced by Aldous Huxley in his classic The Doors of Perception (1954). Having studied mystical experiences for more than a decade without really having one, Huxley took mescaline, and felt that he’d finally been let in to the mystics’ club. Other 1960s gurus such as Alan Watts, Ram Dass and Huston Smith were also convinced that psychedelics led to genuine mystical experiences, and would be a catalyst for Western culture’s spiritual awakening.

The mystical theory of psychedelics has five key tenets. The first is that psychedelics lead to a mystical experience of unitive, non-dual consciousness, in which all is one, you are united with It, God, the Tao, Brahman, etc. This experience is timeless, ineffable, joyful and noetic (you know that it is true).

Second, that the psychedelic experience is the same as the experience of mystics, found in all religions. Different religions use different terms for ultimate reality, but all mystics are really having the same non-dual experience. This is the theory of the ‘perennial philosophy’, promoted by Huxley and other perennialists. It’s known in religious studies as the ‘universal core of religious experience’ theory.

Third, that the mystical experience previously occurred mainly to ascetics such as St Teresa of Ávila, and was somewhat rare and unpredictable, therefore scientists dismissed it as ‘ego-regression’, ‘psychosis’ and so forth. But now psychedelics have revealed a predictable and replicable route to mystical experiences, so scientists can study them in the lab. They can measure them using brain-scans, or questionnaires such as the Hood Mysticism Scale, developed by the American psychologist Ralph Hood, which measures to what extent a person’s experience maps onto the ‘universal core’.

Fourth, that this scientific research will create an empirical spirituality or ‘neuro-theology’. It will prove, or at least make more credible, the transcendent insights of the mystics.

And finally, that this will change the world. Humanity will join a new scientific religion of mystical experience, beyond differences of language, nation, culture, religion, class, gender or ethnicity. We will all become liberal environmental progressives. We will all overcome our fear of death. After four centuries of materialism, Western culture will be re-enchanted, but in a predictable, rational and replicable way. Homo sapiens will be upgraded.

These ecstatic ideas are back with a vengeance. The present psychedelic renaissance was started in 2006 by the Johns Hopkins’ psychedelic lab, with a paper called ‘Psilocybin Can Occasion Mystical-Type Experiences Having Substantial and Sustained Personal Meaning and Spiritual Significance’. This paper repeated the claim of Huxley et al that psychedelics (in this case, psilocybin or magic mushrooms) reliably lead to a unitive mystical experience which ‘may be foundational to the world’s ethical and moral systems’. It measured the depth of people’s mystical experiences using the Hood Mysticism Scale. Subsequent Johns Hopkins studies found that the stronger the mystical experience induced by psilocybin, the more people were freed from addiction, depression, even the fear of death.

https://aeon.co/essays/is-psychedelics- ... to-science
Last edited by Kafei on Sep 24, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking