Non-theists - why should I not believe?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Non-theists - why should I not believe?

#1521  Postby Sophie T » Jul 22, 2010 10:30 pm

Ragwortshire wrote:
Thommo wrote:Well, that's an admission that your argument is circular and unevidenced. Whereas mine isn't.

But, you said that soft evidence would factor into both sides, yet now you're in a position where soft evidence exists for one side only and you take the other view... So your earlier statements are incorrect.

If you like, I can try and argue that there is soft evidence for the existence of a loving God, without any reliance on the Resurrection whatsover. That would remove any whiff of circularity, and it would also mean my beliefs as a whole ceased to be unevidenced in the soft sense, no?

I wonder if Ragwortshire is ever coming back?
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
~ Excerpt from William Ernest Henley's Invictus
Sophie T

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1522  Postby Will S » Jul 23, 2010 8:14 am

nunnington wrote:Will S

Yet haven't slippery slopes always existed within Christianity?

Yes. But the point is that people who got on them tended to be anathematised or worse. People thought that the detail (very often the precise, piddling detail) of Christian belief actually mattered.
nunnington wrote:Thus, on the resurrection, we find in the New Testament that some groups just didn't believe in it (thus Paul: 'how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?' (1 Cor. 15: 12)), some believed in a physical resuscitation, and probably some in a spiritual resurrection (flesh and blood shall not inherit the kingdom). Or in Gnostic language, imperishability descends upon the perishable.

Of course, the hierarchy have always tried to exert a monolithic control over doctrine, yet somehow the green shoots of unorthodoxy always seem to spill out.

Well, again ... yes. But you make it sound as if the 'green shoots' are a good thing - and, of course, in one sense they are. Other Christians might call your 'green shoots' rank heresies, and say that what they require is a good dose of weedkiller - and pronto. :angel:

The basic difficulty is that if you're going to recommend Christianity to the rest of us, or if you're going to claim that Christianity it true, then you'll need to say what Christianity actually is - that is, what Christianity, as you see it, is. Can you do this? Can you say what Christianity is without being, on the one hand, vague and waffly, or, on the other, making it sound like motherhood and apple pie?

It seems to me that every Christian is in a dilemma here. Either he defines Christianity in a way which is, as I said, vague or trivial, or else he's going to have to define it in such a way as entails anathematising large numbers of his fellow Christians - and being anathematised by them.

Of course, if you put it to them, Christians will protest, 'No, no, no! That's not necessarily so! Beneath all our differences is a big, solid, important, substratum of agreement!'

Only, I'm pretty sure there isn't.
'To a thinking person, a paradox is what the smell of burning rubber is to an electrical engineer' - Sir Peter Medawar (adapted)
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1523  Postby nunnington » Jul 23, 2010 9:41 am

Will S

I would say Christianity lies in praxis not doxis. Belief is fabulously over-rated.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#1524  Postby Sophie T » Jul 23, 2010 11:57 am

I would say Christianity lies in praxis not doxis. Belief is fabulously over-rated.

Without correct belief, there can be no correct practice.

But I'll go nunnington one better and say that Christianity itself is fabulously over-rated, particularly by those who subscribe (or claim to subscribe) to it.
Sophie T

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1525  Postby nunnington » Jul 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Sophie T wrote:

Without correct belief, there can be no correct practice.

But I'll go nunnington one better and say that Christianity itself is fabulously over-rated, particularly by those who subscribe (or claim to subscribe) to it.

It is probably true that for most anti-theists, Christianity is over-rated; and possibly even this is true for some Christians; yet for others, maybe not.

It's a bit like sex, isn't it? Reading the manual is OK, but then you have to get your feet wet, or whatever turns you on.
nunnington

Print view this post

#1526  Postby Will S » Jul 23, 2010 4:24 pm

So the various Creeds, which have been recited daily in churches of most denominations for the last 1500 years or so, are ... er ... 'fabuluously over-rated'?

So on what possible grounds can you claim to be a Christian? What is it that makes you a Christian, and me a non-Christian?

(I'd be really interested in your answer to that question.)
'To a thinking person, a paradox is what the smell of burning rubber is to an electrical engineer' - Sir Peter Medawar (adapted)
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1527  Postby nunnington » Jul 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Will S

I assume that you are hostile to Christianity; whereas I am sympathetic towards it.
nunnington

Print view this post

#1528  Postby Will S » Jul 23, 2010 4:58 pm

I assume that you are hostile to Christianity; whereas I am sympathetic towards it.

So what are you saying? To be a Christian, all that's necessary is to be sympathetic towards Christianity?

If so, what an extraordinary definition! :scratch: Apart from anything else, it leaves the term Christianity undefined.
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1529  Postby tytalus » Jul 23, 2010 5:02 pm

Well, xians on some level do have my sympathies...heh.
Futurama wrote: Bender: Dying sucks butt. How do you living beings cope with mortality?
Leela: Violent outbursts.
Amy: General slutiness.
Fry: Thanks to denial, I'm immortal.
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1530  Postby nunnington » Jul 23, 2010 5:04 pm

tytalus wrote:Well, xians on some level do have my sympathies...heh.

Well, hello there. How's the kitten?
nunnington

Print view this post

#1531  Postby nunnington » Jul 23, 2010 5:06 pm

Will S wrote:

So what are you saying? To be a Christian, all that's necessary is to be sympathetic towards Christianity?

If so, what an extraordinary definition! :scratch: Apart from anything else, it leaves the term Christianity undefined.

Gee, some of you anti-theists are even more obsessive and puritanical than the fundies.

!
MODNOTE
The report for this post has been dealt with and closed.

Durro
nunnington

Print view this post

#1532  Postby tytalus » Jul 23, 2010 5:27 pm

nunnington wrote:
tytalus wrote:Well, xians on some level do have my sympathies...heh.

Well, hello there. How's the kitten?

Hey, speaking of sympathy. :)

Futurama wrote: Bender: Dying sucks butt. How do you living beings cope with mortality?
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1533  Postby Sophie T » Jul 23, 2010 5:43 pm

I think Will has asked a very fair question. Why does nunnington think of himself as a Christian? What is the difference between nunnington and Will that nunnington is a Christian and Will is not. Nunnington's defensive (slightly hysterical?)response to this is to say that we're all a bunch of anti-theists. Why are we anti-theists because we want to know what nunnington means when he says he's a Christian? It seems that nunnington's definition of "anti-theist" is as vague (or non-existent?) as his definition of "anti-theist."
Sophie T

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1534  Postby tytalus » Jul 23, 2010 5:47 pm

Oh, come on...how do you expect liberal xianity to survive, if not on such vagaries? Or is it vagueries...eh, either way. :)
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1535  Postby Sophie T » Jul 23, 2010 5:48 pm

nunnington wrote:
Will S wrote:

Gee, some of you anti-theists are even more obsessive and puritanical than the fundies.

Hmmm. . . you see? Nunnington has been asked a perfectly reasonable question, and his response is to insult the people who are asking him questions. Instead, why doesn't nunnington just answer the question. What does nunnington think is necessary to be a Christian? Can there be such a thing as an atheist Christian? How about a Christian Muslim? How about a Christian giraffe?
Last edited by Sophie T on Jul 23, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophie T

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1536  Postby Sophie T » Jul 23, 2010 5:53 pm

tytalus wrote:Oh, come on...how do you expect liberal xianity to survive, if not on such vagaries? Or is it vagueries...eh, either way. :)

Well, most liberal Christians I know will, at the very least, tell you what they mean when they use word Christian. And though it is fairly common, as far as I can tell, for liberal Christians to deny that the entire Bible is inspired by God (i.e. they'll often reject much of the OT), they, at the very least, believe in a literal resurrection and they believe that Christ "died for their sins." As far as I can tell, nunnington doesn't even believe that. What I can't figure out is why nunnington thinks of himself as a Christian at all. And nunnington himself seems to become irate when asked what he thinks it means to be a Christian, which strikes me as very odd.

By the way, the pink kitty cat is your cutest picture yet. :thumbup:

Edit: I am also curious as to whether or not the other Christians in this thread (Ragwortshire and RichieDickens) agree that nunnington is a Christian. And for that matter, I would be interested in hearing both Ragwortshire and RichieDickens tell us exactly what they believe the requirements are for becoming a Christian. For example, does RichieDickens think that a Christian can be an agnostic Christian theist, as Ragwortshire says he is. And does Ragwortshire think that a person can be a Christian even if he doesn't believe in a literal resurrection or even that any of the Bible is inspired by God, as nunnington seems to believe? If so, then does Ragwortshire believe that an atheist can be a Christian and an atheist at the same time?
Sophie T

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1537  Postby Will S » Jul 23, 2010 6:22 pm

nunnington wrote:
Will S wrote:

If your only response is to say that I'm 'obsessive and puritanical' (and could there be a more ad hominem 'argument' than that?), then I can see no constructive way of continuing this discussion.

All that I can do, in the circumstances which you have contrived, is to make some (highly unfavourable!) comments about you and your style of argument. And what would be the point of that?
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1538  Postby Sween » Jul 23, 2010 11:15 pm

tytalus wrote:
RichieDickins wrote:
Oh I'm all about credible evidence. I was laughing because, for many people on this forum, their definition of the term extends no further than physical considerations (empiricism and naturalism being very common around here). As I see it though, evidence for some claim h is something like this: any proposition d which, if true, makes the probability P of h higher than it would otherwise be . That is, d is "credible evidence" IFF P(h/d) > P(h).

I don't see any reason to outright dismiss such a construction, but I could understand not placing much value on it, or placing greater value on something more substantial than probability and statistics. Do you find such probability calculations satisfying? Making up a percentage for the sake of argument, does a 51% chance of the xian god existing satisfy your desire for evidence before worshipping the supposed entity? Can you understand why someone used to finding evidential support in reality for things existing might not be satisfied by a probability calculation alone?

Yeah I like probability calculations, Bayes Theorem is exciting. And yeah, I side with the proposition that seems most probably true. But no, I don't have any idea what "in reality" means, or why one wouldn't consider such an inductive argument to be credible evidence

RichieDickins wrote:
Hmm you might be right about the helpfulness of philosophy :smile: . Look at it this way though, either the universe began to exist or it didn't. If it did, then there has to be some time t0 such that there was no prior time tn when the universe existed. Now, I think you would agree that physical laws are only descriptions of how things in the universe behave, not abstract entities which exist independently. If so, that means no laws until the universe began to exist. If you think the universe has always existed, then all that's beside the point (but I would be curious to hear what model you find most persuasive, if you don't mind).

I don't hold a position on whether or not our universe has always existed; I don't see much reason to pick one over the other right now. That said, it doesn't seem as if the 'laws of the universe' are as easy to pin down as your description makes it seem. Again, the wiki article proves useful in pointing out some alternate possibilities.

I think the Borde Guth Vilenkin theorem gives good reason to think that the universe didn't always exist.

wikipedia wrote:Top-down cosmology

Stephen Hawking, along with Thomas Hertog of CERN, proposed that the universe's initial conditions consisted of a superposition of many possible initial conditions, only a small fraction of which contributed to the conditions we see today.[22] According to their theory, it is inevitable that we find our universe's "fine-tuned" physical constants, as the current universe "selects" only those past histories that led to the present conditions. In this way, top-down cosmology provides an anthropic explanation for why we find ourselves in a universe that allows matter and life, without invoking the current existence of a multiverse.

I've read that the laws 'break down' at the Planck epoch, though that may be too much of a layman's term, I don't know. But it may also be too simplistic to claim that they suddenly popped in out of nowhere.

I don't think I'm familiar with that theory of Hawking. I'll have to look into it, as I have no idea what it means to say that the universe selects conditions.

RichieDickins wrote:
True, I suppose in the case of most questions, possibility doesn't get you very far. It's significant here however, because if different values for the initial conditions were not possible, then it is not at all surprising that the universe has the constants and quantities it does (for it couldn't have been otherwise). But if it is possible, then just the opposite is the case.

Again, we don't know if they can vary, or if they can, by how much. The proposed infinite variation is, again, merely what is logically possible. Any result would be 'surprising.' Just like the particular series of cards dealt by a properly shuffled deck.

True, any given hand is equally improbable. So, should we not be suspicious when someone keeps getting royal flush?

RichieDickins wrote:
You want a demonstration of reality? I'd have to know what you mean by reality - are you a materialist?

After checking up on it a bit, I'm inclined to think so, yes. I could be wrong, but I wonder how it could be demonstrated. Are you planning a 'demonstration of reality' that cannot be detected by scientific investigation? Of what use would that be?

At this point, it seems clear that a series of semantic games is about to ensue. It's sad to consider how the mighty have fallen, here. It used to be so easy for the believer to point to something in reality and say 'look, there's god, that was god's doing'. Fire, lightning, earthquakes, plagues...look, there he is! And we still have these belief systems predicated on the idea. But the idea has gone extinct with the advance of science and real understanding; instead, we get dictionary wars and arguments over whose worldview e-peen is the biggest. Accusations of closed-mindedness seem nigh inevitable.

I thought when you were asking me to give a demonstration of reality that you meant a demonstration that was real/credible/reliable, as opposed to what you see as "endless philosophizing;" but in order to do that, ironically, I first had to know what sort of ontology you adhere to - you say materialism, ok thats helpful. I think there are some good arguments against materialism, but I that's another topic I suppose.

I don't find that scientific progress has at all undermined the belief in God.

Tytalus wrote:
Oh, I was definitely playing a game there, just to demonstrate the absurdity of yours. :) I just don't see the utility of a baseless claim that life-supporting possibilities are extremely narrow. Some evidential support would be great.

See: Barrow and Tipler "The Anthropic Cosmological Principle"
Paul Davies, "The Goldilocks enigma: why is the universe just right for life?"
John Leslie "The Prerequisites of Life in Our Universe"
Martin Reese "Just Six Numbers"
Ernan McMullin "Anthropic Explanatino in Cosmology"
Roger Penrose, "The Road to Reality"

As for the 25% figure, that's one of the citations here. Since it is apparently difficult to make good predictions on the possibility of a universe supporting life in great detail, scientists like Victor Stenger and Fred Adams have done math based on the possibility of star formation, which seems a useful prerequisite. Here is where the 25% figure pops up.

wikipedia wrote:Computer simulations suggest that not all of the purportedly "fine-tuned" parameters may be as fine-tuned as has been claimed. Victor Stenger has simulated different universes in which four fundamental parameters are varied (electromagnetic interaction, strong nuclear interaction, electron mass, and proton mass; tuning of other parameters such as the cosmological constant was not considered). He found that long-lived stars could exist over a wide parameter range, and concluded that "... a wide variation of constants of physics leads to universes that are long-lived enough for life to evolve, although human life need not exist in such universes".[7] Fred Adams has done a similar study, investigating the structure of stars in universes with different values of the gravitational constant G, the fine-structure constant α, and a nuclear reaction rate parameter C. His study suggests that roughly 25% of this parameter space allows stars to exist, but not necessarily to form. His analysis also does not take into account variations of other fundamental constants or considerations of habitability.[8]

Stenger's calculations on stellar lifetimes using different constants indicated over half the universes could support star lasting at least a billion years. What I found interesting about his article (a pdf from cite note 7) was that he didn't dispute that life as we know it wouldn't exist; it could be something radically different. Perhaps humanocentrism is part of the fine-tuning mindset that isn't spoken of.

Oh I see. Yes that's interesting, chances aren't too bad given just those constants I suppose. But, I don't see how there could be anything near half the universes supporting star formation given all the relevant variables - all of those that don't even contain the requisite materials, for instance, certainly couldn't.

RichieDickins wrote:
If we found another universe with different values, how would that show it to be physically possible that our own universe could have had different values than it does? Possible based on what, if nomological possibility is a factor of antecedent states of the universe and its physical laws? And why wouldn't you just say, as you have with regard to the actual universe, that it may be physically necessary that this second universe's constants and quantities are what they are, too?

Not necessarily variance in our universe in particular; in general. An example of another, different universe would show that these constants can vary at all.

Unless there are broader physical laws which govern each of the two universes (or however many there may be), then I think we would have to call variance metaphysically possible, but not necessarily physically
Sween

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1539  Postby Sween » Jul 24, 2010 12:56 am

Sophie T wrote:
tytalus wrote:Oh, come on...how do you expect liberal xianity to survive, if not on such vagaries? Or is it vagueries...eh, either way. :)

Well, most liberal Christians I know will, at the very least, tell you what they mean when they use word Christian. And though it is fairly common, as far as I can tell, for liberal Christians to deny that the entire Bible is inspired by God (i.e. they'll often reject much of the OT), they, at the very least, believe in a literal resurrection and they believe that Christ "died for their sins." As far as I can tell, nunnington doesn't even believe that. What I can't figure out is why nunnington thinks of himself as a Christian at all. And nunnington himself seems to become irate when asked what he thinks it means to be a Christian, which strikes me as very odd.

By the way, the pink kitty cat is your cutest picture yet. :thumbup:

Edit: I am also curious as to whether or not the other Christians in this thread (Ragwortshire and RichieDickens) agree that nunnington is a Christian. And for that matter, I would be interested in hearing both Ragwortshire and RichieDickens tell us exactly what they believe the requirements are for becoming a Christian. For example, does RichieDickens think that a Christian can be an agnostic Christian theist, as Ragwortshire says he is. And does Ragwortshire think that a person can be a Christian even if he doesn't believe in a literal resurrection or even that any of the Bible is inspired by God, as nunnington seems to believe? If so, then does Ragwortshire believe that an atheist can be a Christian and an atheist at the same time?

First as I've said (or rather, what I've said implies) that I think the question of what one believes is much more interesting than that of whether or not one is a Christian. This is because the meaning of words are determined by how they're used - different people use "Christian" differently. So when you ask "Is x a Christian?" I'm inclined to respond, "With respect to which language-game?" (btw, while I'm more or less on the same page with Wittgenstein with respect to language, I certainly don't share his religious views).

Another thing - you said that the liberal Christians you know believe that, minimally, the Resurrection was a literal event:
That's very surprising to me, I guess we just have different definitions of "liberal Christian." When I hear the term, I think of people like Paul Tillich, John Dominic Crossan, Markus Borg, John Hick, and so on - these are people who consider themselves Christians, but believe that Scripture is to be interpreted metaphorically, as "existential" truths rather than "historical" truths. They may or may not believe that God exists ("God" defined as something like a literal being that created the universe and has the tradition superlative qualities). Often times, from my experience at least, such people are much better at living or behaving consistent with how a Christian ought to (and yes this is very ironic in light of the following).

That said, what do I think the necessary condition are for a person to be a Christian, as I understand the term? I guess I would say that belief in the literal occurrence of the Resurrection is necessary. This is because, if one takes it to be just a metaphorical truth, or if one just thinks that Jesus is a good role model, or an all-around fabulous chap, or whatever it may be, then one would potentially end up including all sorts of people, even some atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, etc into the category of "Christian," and that seems like a bit of a stretch.

By implication, belief that God exists is also necessary (again, atheists aren't Christians), and that God is a Trinity (distinguishes Christianity from all of the other world's religions).

Does a Christian have to believe that the Bible is inspired by God? I don't know what you mean by inspired. A Christian doesn't have to be an inerrantist, no. Does he have to believe that God had something to do with it? Yeah, but that would be true of most things.
Sween

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1540  Postby Will S » Jul 24, 2010 8:20 am

RichieDickins wrote:First as I've said (or rather, what I've said implies) that I think the question of what one believes is much more interesting than that of whether or not one is a Christian. This is because the meaning of words are determined by how they're used - different people use "Christian" differently. So when you ask "Is x a Christian?" I'm inclined to respond, "With respect to which language-game?" (btw, while I'm more or less on the same page with Wittgenstein with respect to language, I certainly don't share his religious views).

Another thing - you said that the liberal Christians you know believe that, minimally, the Resurrection was a literal event:
That's very surprising to me, I guess we just have different definitions of "liberal Christian." When I hear the term, I think of people like Paul Tillich, John Dominic Crossan, Markus Borg, John Hick, and so on - these are people who consider themselves Christians, but believe that Scripture is to be interpreted metaphorically, as "existential" truths rather than "historical" truths. They may or may not believe that God exists ("God" defined as something like a literal being that created the universe and has the tradition superlative qualities). Often times, from my experience at least, such people are much better at living or behaving consistent with how a Christian ought to (and yes this is very ironic in light of the following).

That said, what do I think the necessary condition are for a person to be a Christian, as I understand the term? I guess I would say that belief in the literal occurrence of the Resurrection is necessary. This is because, if one takes it to be just a metaphorical truth, or if one just thinks that Jesus is a good role model, or an all-around fabulous chap, or whatever it may be, then one would potentially end up including all sorts of people, even some atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, etc into the category of "Christian," and that seems like a bit of a stretch.

By implication, belief that God exists is also necessary (again, atheists aren't Christians), and that God is a Trinity (distinguishes Christianity from all of the other world's religions).

Does a Christian have to believe that the Bible is inspired by God? I don't know what you mean by inspired. A Christian doesn't have to be an inerrantist, no. Does he have to believe that God had something to do with it? Yeah, but that would be true of most things.

From my point of view (as an atheist), that's a very interesting post - for, as far as I can see, I agree with every word of it. :angel:

I like the way in which you actually give us something definite to discuss and, of course, to disagree about. :clap:
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism