The Million Gods Project

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Million Gods Project

#101  Postby trubble76 » May 30, 2014 10:50 am

JTRizzle wrote:
trubble76 wrote:
JTRizzle wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:This thread has been wikified.

Improvements to the wiki can be discussed here.

The God of Abraham (perhaps the unnamed god of intelligent design, but who knows how He did it) is NOT something that is used to explain a natural phenomena. no explanation of any natural phenomena is necessary in our (Catholicism's) definition of God. if all things about nature were known, there would be no reason whatsoever to disbelieve in God because there is no phenomenon on which He relies. now, many Christians do use God to explain the unexplained, but that has no bearing on what God really is. refer to the Catechism of the Catholic Church for more information on this matter. I think your idea is interesting, it could be a very cool read (if it is not overly biased towards any of the gods or lack of gods) but i think it would be a good idea to either change the criteria or leave the God of Abraham out of it because He does NOT fit the criteria.

I wonder if you are the only believer that thinks their god is different? :ask:

I hate to break it to you but your invisible friend is no different to all the other invisible friends. They are all silly little fairy tales, some more amusing than others.

you are incredibly cute.

Thank you. My unbelievable cuteness aside, your god is no different from any other. One made-up magical being is much like any other, they might have different X-men powers, they might have different views on the proper way to murder, torture and rape, they might have different back-stories but they are still the same comic-book characters in the end.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#102  Postby JTRizzle » May 30, 2014 11:21 am

virphen wrote:
JTRizzle wrote:
as i said, if the man was purposefully insulting you, you have every right to be insulted, but you have no right to insult him. i did not purposefully insult you, i just said your behavior was not reasonable. i have bean unreasonable many times, its not the end of the world. you simply gave me an anecdote, and i told you what i thought about it. it is hard to be convinced that atheists aren't prone to purposefully insulting Christians when every forum i go on, i am purposefully insulted continuously by atheists. now, here's the thing. Christians are every bit as prone to purposefully insulting atheists. they are every bit as wrong as the atheists who insult Christians. my point is that arguments among Christians do not contain nearly the same number of insults as arguments between atheists and Christians. why? because both sides of the argument, when both are Christian, accept that purposefully insulting someone is a sin for which there is no excuse, that the sin damns us, it is only by the grace of God that we are forgiven. we accept these notions, and have no problem pointing it out to each other, so the insults remain at a minimum.

this fact remains: you have no right to feel that a person has insulted you unless they meant to insult you. i do not mean to insult you when i say that you sin. if you are insulted by this, i am sorry, but you should not be because i am not purposefully insulting you.

Once again, all you are doing is talking over me. Your view of what constitutes an insult counts, but mine does not. This is fine for your narrative of nice polite Christians not insulting each other whereas the nasty atheists can't help but be mean, but this narrative is based on ignorance of what we find insulting about how you treat us. You no longer even have the excuse of not realising that you are engaging in this behaviour, because it has been repeatedly and clearly pointed out to you. Your response has not been for a second to take that on board, or to apologise, but to continue to launch your insults and group attacks.

You want a model where you get to fling endless amounts of shit us, but we can't respond. I politely request that you go away and examine your behaviour and remove the insulting elements of your own conduct and assess that of your peers in this light before continuing to insist that atheists are so much more prone to handing out insults.

i made no statements about arguments between atheists. i have no idea how they run. i did not say that you can't help but be mean, what i was saying is that Christians all believe that it is a sin purposefully insult someone. i can't say that about atheists, i have no idea what they all believe, or if they even have beliefs in common with each other. in what way do "we" treat you that insults you, and why do you not accept that there may be times that you feel insulted when no one was trying to insult you?

are you saying that it is right to be angry at a person for insulting you, when the person was not trying to insult you? that makes no sense.

if you've been insulted, i apologize, but i did not mean to insult you. if you are still angry for being insulted... deal with it. i really can't care at that point because that is an unreasonable position.

a Hindu may tell me that i am doing an evil thing when i eat beef. if he is an honest man, i will be able to tell that he is not purposfully trying to insult me. at that point, i will not be insulted, i will merely argue that eating beef is not evil. a christian may tell you that you are doing an evil thing by disbelieving in God. if he is an honest man, then you will be able to tell that he is not purposefully insulting you. at that point, you should not be insulted, you should merely argue that disbelief in God is not evil.
JTRizzle

Name: J

United States (us)
Print view this post

#103  Postby JTRizzle » May 30, 2014 11:23 am

Fallible wrote:I wonder if he's ever been a member at the Debating Christianity forum. It's by and large a Christian forum, set up by Otseng who is a Christian. There is a rule there of civility. If you're adjudged to have been uncivil you can get dinged for it. Needless to say Christians are constantly getting dinged for getting into heated arguments with other Christians, and the list of banned Christian members is long.

i have never been on that forum but i will check it out. i did not say Christians can't be rude, its just easier for me to convince them that they've been rude.
JTRizzle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#104  Postby JTRizzle » May 30, 2014 11:24 am

Fallible wrote:What's this? JTRizzle attempting to limit discourse so that he can continue to assert he's right?? Surely not. That's never happened before.

in what way am i attempting to limit discourse?
JTRizzle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#105  Postby virphen » May 30, 2014 11:34 am

A Christian continues to insult after being told he is being insulting is deliberately insulting people. So you're committing a sin, by your own omission.

Also, I could add, that if I were to call you a dick, and then say "I'm sorry you're a dick" that wouldn't count as an apology, either. So stop repeating your insults by simply adding the words "sorry" or "I apologise" to them.

Furthermore, the fact that people can think that standing around on street corners threatening them with eternal torture is somehow less bad than telling someone to fuck off, speaks volumes.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#106  Postby JTRizzle » May 30, 2014 11:40 am

virphen wrote:A Christian continues to insult after being told he is being insulting is deliberately insulting people. So you're committing a sin, by your own omission.

Also, I could add, that if I were to call you a dick, and then say "I'm sorry you're a dick" that wouldn't count as an apology, either. So stop repeating your insults by simply adding the words "sorry" or "I apologise" to them.

Furthermore, the fact that people can think that standing around on street corners threatening them with eternal torture is somehow less bad than telling someone to fuck off, speaks volumes.

i honestly don't know what i said that was insulting to you. perhaps you can let me know so that i can properly explain how i was not being purposefully insulting.

seriously... what insult did i repeat? i honestly have no clue...

do you believe the man was purposefully trying to insult you? is it possible that he felt he was trying to save you, or was too insane to know where he was or that he was even talking to anyone? are you really insulted that some guy on the side of the street cares for you enough to do what he believes may save you from what he thinks is eternal damnation? if the man was purposefully trying to insult you, he was wrong. when you purposefully insulted him, you were wrong.
JTRizzle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Clive Durdle » May 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Back to the OP, do we not just add drizzle's god to the list? And I am not sure I need to worry about this thread, are we getting anwhere near 9 million million?

And of course, maybe these theological arguments are solved by trying to list the names of god?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Fallible » May 30, 2014 1:59 pm

JTRizzle wrote:
Fallible wrote:I wonder if he's ever been a member at the Debating Christianity forum. It's by and large a Christian forum, set up by Otseng who is a Christian. There is a rule there of civility. If you're adjudged to have been uncivil you can get dinged for it. Needless to say Christians are constantly getting dinged for getting into heated arguments with other Christians, and the list of banned Christian members is long.

i have never been on that forum but i will check it out. i did not say Christians can't be rude, its just easier for me to convince them that they've been rude.

Unsurprising, since they have a history of being easily convinced.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#109  Postby virphen » May 30, 2014 8:18 pm

JTRizzle wrote:
virphen wrote:A Christian continues to insult after being told he is being insulting is deliberately insulting people. So you're committing a sin, by your own omission.

i honestly don't know what i said that was insulting to you. perhaps you can let me know so that i can properly explain how i was not being purposefully insulting.

do you believe the man was purposefully trying to insult you? is it possible that he felt he was trying to save you, or was too insane to know where he was or that he was even talking to anyone? are you really insulted that some guy on the side of the street cares for you enough to do what he believes may save you from what he thinks is eternal damnation? if the man was purposefully trying to insult you, he was wrong. when you purposefully insulted him, you were wrong.

No, the man was wrong for THREATENING IN PUBLIC me no matter how aware or unaware of how wrong it is, he is. Just like someone removing the clitoris of a baby girl is as wrong as you can get, no matter to what degree he thinks it's right to mutilate baby girls. It just after century on century of being so dominant, xtians still think they have the right to shit over everyone else and not get called on it.

As to insults: personally, you've accused me of sinking down to his level, as if telling someone to fuck off is in any way comparable with threatening them with eternal torture if they don't do what you want. You continue to label atheists negatively as a group. You continue to refuse to acknowledge the offensiveness of much theist behaviour towards atheists, while labelling us as a group more prone to insulting people. I'd really be amazed to find anything I'd ever said could equate to:
- threats of eternal torture
- justification of deity-commanded genocide
- the comparison of the LGBT population to paedophiles and bestialists
- implications that in not believing atheists are somehow less human for not believing in their deity

These are all examples of things that are hauled out by religionists here and in other place on a regularly basis. But we're the rude, insulting ones? Get off the fucking grass.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#110  Postby THWOTH » May 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:A stage earlier surely, an order by a Tibetan monastery for a computer? Actually, would a smart phone do now?

I feel such a geek for getting that. :geek:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#111  Postby THWOTH » May 31, 2014 3:40 pm

Fallible wrote:
JTRizzle wrote:

:lol:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Made of Stars » May 31, 2014 7:57 pm

Global warning caused by Jesus

So we have a decision to make: do we believe what an environmentalist group says and choose to live in a world where we’re attempting to make everything as clean in the air as possible, or do we believe what the Bible says, that these things were going to happen and that rather than try to clean up all of the air and solve all of the problems of the world by eliminating factories, we should start to tell people about Jesus Christ who is to return?
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#113  Postby JTRizzle » Jun 02, 2014 11:34 am

virphen wrote:
JTRizzle wrote:

No, the man was wrong for THREATENING IN PUBLIC me no matter how aware or unaware of how wrong it is, he is. Just like someone removing the clitoris of a baby girl is as wrong as you can get, no matter to what degree he thinks it's right to mutilate baby girls. It just after century on century of being so dominant, xtians still think they have the right to shit over everyone else and not get called on it.

As to insults: personally, you've accused me of sinking down to his level, as if telling someone to fuck off is in any way comparable with threatening them with eternal torture if they don't do what you want. You continue to label atheists negatively as a group. You continue to refuse to acknowledge the offensiveness of much theist behaviour towards atheists, while labelling us as a group more prone to insulting people. I'd really be amazed to find anything I'd ever said could equate to:
- implications that in not believing atheists are somehow less human for not believing in their deity

These are all examples of things that are hauled out by religionists here and in other place on a regularly basis. But we're the rude, insulting ones? Get off the fucking grass.

-the man is not threatening you with hell, he claims God is threatening you with hell.
-did he justify deity-commanded genocide? if so, how is that an insult to you?
-isn't LGBT an acronym for choices of sexual identity? in that sense, LGBT, heterosexuality, pedophilia and bestiality can be compared.
-what was his implication that you are less human? it seems he is implying that you are MORE human.

my accusation that you sunk down to his level is not an insult. everyone has sunk down to that level at some point. we are not threatening you with hell, we are all threatened with hell. all people are flawed, so i have labeled all groups negatively, including Christians.

mutilating people is objectively deplorable, disgusting, unreasonable and should be condemned by everyone. we can agree on this. here is my justification for that assumption: it is objectively wrong because the entity which creates objective morality has made it wrong. what is your justification?

also, how does God fit the criteria given for this project when God is used only to describe supernatural phenomena, as apposed to describing natural phenomena?
JTRizzle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#114  Postby JTRizzle » Jun 02, 2014 11:37 am

Fallible wrote:
JTRizzle wrote:

show me the history of my being easily convinced.
JTRizzle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#115  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 02, 2014 12:22 pm

JTRizzle wrote:also, how does God fit the criteria given for this project when God is used only to describe supernatural phenomena, as apposed to describing natural phenomena?

You do realise, don't you, that the Christian god is blamed for the creation of the universe?
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Fallible » Jun 02, 2014 12:35 pm

JTRizzle wrote:
Fallible wrote:
JTRizzle wrote:

show me the history of my being easily convinced.

If you can't even read a one-line sentence correctly, there's not much to be done for you, sadly.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Fallible » Jun 02, 2014 12:41 pm

JTRizzle wrote:
virphen wrote:
JTRizzle wrote:

-the man is not threatening you with hell, he claims God is threatening you with hell.
-did he justify deity-commanded genocide? if so, how is that an insult to you?
-isn't LGBT an acronym for choices of sexual identity?

:lol: This the next line you're casting is it?

in that sense, LGBT, heterosexuality, pedophilia and bestiality can be compared.

Now we wait for someone to bite...

-what was his implication that you are less human? it seems he is implying that you are MORE human.

my accusation that you sunk down to his level is not an insult. everyone has sunk down to that level at some point. we are not threatening you with hell, we are all threatened with hell.

Preaching. Read the fucking FUA.

all people are flawed, so i have labeled all groups negatively, including Christians.

mutilating people is objectively deplorable, disgusting, unreasonable and should be condemned by everyone. we can agree on this. here is my justification for that assumption: it is objectively wrong because the entity which creates objective morality has made it wrong. what is your justification?

Circular reasoning works because.

also, how does God fit the criteria given for this project when God is used only to describe supernatural phenomena, as apposed to describing natural phenomena?

:teef:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#118  Postby virphen » Jun 02, 2014 11:35 pm

JTRizzle wrote:
-isn't LGBT an acronym for choices of sexual identity? in that sense, LGBT, heterosexuality, pedophilia and bestiality can be compared.

Only by bigoted arseholes. Honestly, you complain about mean atheists being so insulty, and then you insist on the right to compare the relationships of gay people to fucking animals?
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#119  Postby virphen » Jun 02, 2014 11:45 pm

Can anyone tell me how I could possibly, in any way, descend to the level that JTRizzle has?

On the one hand, we have the threat of hellfire. Eternal torture. Something, if taken seriously, can haunt the nightmares of people their whole lives, and FFS they tell that to children. Me, I tell the odd person to fuck off.

The likes of JTRizzle, Mick, GWright, Lion IRC will dehumanise whole sections of the population by comparing loving, genuine relationships to having sex with animals or abusing children. What on earth could I ever, ever, ever say to reach the same level of scum-sucking bottom-dwelling arsewipery as those people? What could anyone ever say that would be so incredibly horrible as that?

These people are fucking shitstains on the smelly underpants of humanity. Fuck them all.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#120  Postby Alan B » Aug 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Does the list still exist?

When I click on the link, I get this:
Diese Präsenz ist leider nicht verfügbar.

(Apologies for waking up a zombie thread).
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism