Without Hope for an Afterlife, What Are We Living For?

If we have no hope, what are we living for?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Without Hope for an Afterlife, What Are We Living For?

#1081  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:17 am

thaesofereode wrote:This question contains its own answer.

We are living for the best, most wonderful life we can have here. Now. Precisely because there is no afterlife.

:doh:

The best? Like what? Let's see a list.
carl

Name: carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1082  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:19 am

Arjan Dirkse wrote:What are we living for? For me the answer is simple: I live for life. Not for afterlife. I live to live a good, meaningful life. The fact that it ends does not make it worthless. Death is not some unimagineable horror that negates every good thing that happens in life.

Good? Meaningful? Can you list those things which you hope for that are good and MOST meaningful to you? Thank you.
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1083  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 11:20 am

carl wrote:

We are living for the best, most wonderful life we can have here. Now. Precisely because there is no afterlife.

You have already been presented with a long list of things to live for, by many members of this board.
That you continue to pretend otherwise only demonstrates that you have no desire to discuss this honestly, never mind rationally.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1084  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 11:21 am

carl wrote:
Nebogipfel wrote:
carl wrote:
Nebogipfel wrote:

Tell that to the Amalekites. Who (supposedly) were wiped out by divine edict.

ok, but have you ever hurt anyone else?

Sure. On numerous occasions. Some of which still make me cringe when I think of them.

Likewise. I know of many many instances where I 'got away' with it. This is also why I laugh when I hear some skeptic say they 'take responsibility for their own actions'. No they don't.

And since no-one has expressed that, this is yet another of your asinine red herrings.

carl wrote:And to follow-thru, this is precisely why I believe many of us are also offended when we read some text about God holding us accountable in the future. It's offensive to be told I will be held to account someday even though I temporarily 'got away' with it.

Wrong.
People aren't offended by it, because they do not believe it's true in the first place.
They will, however, point out that it's irrational, without needing to appeal to emotion.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1085  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 11:23 am

carl wrote:
ADParker wrote:
carl wrote:
ADParker wrote:

ok, but have you ever hurt anyone else? just asking.

Of what possible relevance is that question?
But if you must know; yes I have hurt other people, not even remotely as many as God has though... if you believe the stories that is. :roll:

Lets' look at your sense of justice: How have you 'taken responsibility' for your actions in each and every case where you hurt someone?

Answer the question carl. How is this remotely relevant to the OP?
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1086  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 11:24 am

carl wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
carl wrote:
whenever we look at the date we are using His Birthday as a reference point

Wednesday - named after the Norse god Wodin
Thursday - named after the Norse god Thor
Friday - named after the Norse goddess Frigg
Saturday - named after the Roman god Saturn

January - named after the Roman goddess Janus
March - named after the Roman god Mars
July - named after the Roman emperor Julius
August - named after the Roman emperor Augustine
October - named after the Roman emperor Octavius

Mercury - named after the Roman god of the same name
Venus - named after the Roman goddess of the same name
Mars - named after the Roman god of the same name
Jupiter - named after the Greek god of the same name
Saturn - named after the Roman god of the same name
Uranus - named after the Greek god of the same name
Neptune - named after the Roman god of the same name

Just curious, are the months based on their date of birth too?

How is that fucking relevant?
The BC/AD dating certainly isn't based on the supposed birth year of Jesus. Nor is Christmas.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1087  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:28 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Also why pray at all or live a devout life, if God has already decided whether you got heaven or hell.

God decided?

1) I have free will to choose God and to be thankful for the life He gave me or...
2) I can be unthankful and spend my energies telling others He doesn't exist.

The worst thing my own child can tell someone is that his own dad doesn't even exist as far as he's concerned. Now that's pure hatred.
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1088  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:33 am

Cody wrote:Theism holds that God gave us freewill. Right? Theists have to say this otherwise they will have to acknowledge that God is responsible for evil in the world as well as good.Freewill is the essential ingredient needed to make sense of Theism.
That having been said, there surely is no place for predestination in Theism. Freewill and predestination would be very strange bedfellows.

This is a mystery for theists, freewill and predestination. I do wonder about it on occasion but will have to wait until all things are revealed on that day when He returns.

In the meantime, do I need all of the answers to believe?

I am like the one who chooses to believe in the natural origin of the universe, life on earth, etc....I take it by faith in the meantime.
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1089  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 11, 2015 11:37 am

carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Also why pray at all or live a devout life, if God has already decided whether you got heaven or hell.

God decided?

1) I have free will to choose God and to be thankful for the life He gave me or...
2) I can be unthankful and spend my energies telling others He doesn't exist.

The worst thing my own child can tell someone is that his own dad doesn't even exist as far as he's concerned. Now that's pure hatred.

What a fucking load of crap but we are used to it hé carl.

We dont waste energy on telling about something does not exist because we dont say it does not exist. All we say there is no evidence for its existence. We leave that up to theists to waste their energy.

You dont know if your son will disown you. Never say never.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1090  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 11:37 am

carl wrote:

God decided?

FFS carl stop with this dishonest bullshit.
This is my entire post:

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
RealityRules wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I had a chat with my older sister about this yesterday. She said she "fears" death, so I asked exactly what is it she "fears" about being dead, she won't know that she's dead. When we reached the end of the conversation, she felt a lot better because we figured out that it's not the idea of being dead that bothers her, it's the manner of her death: pain, suffering, indignity. Fair enough, I think most of us would like a clean death, i.e. to just die in our sleep, or drop dead while boogeying the night away with a joint in one hand and a martini in the other. It's not going to happen, we can't know the manner of our death, so why obsess about it?

I used to read the Guardian UK's Comment-is-Free Belief section a few yrs ago (when it was quite active) and there was a regular poster there who used to work in geriatric & palliative care. He said those that feared death the most were the devout Christians - they were scared stiff of what their 'afterlife' might be; and increasingly so in their last days.

Yeah that always confuses me. Why don't the deeply devout just die? Why do their families spend fortunes on medical care to keep them alive? Surely if the afterlife is what you want, you should just skip this one and shuffle off to the "better" place. :roll:

This is especially odd with Presbytarians others who believe in predestination.
Why heal/fix any illness or wound? Isn't having those what God wants/plans for you?
Why help a cow out of a ditch and mend it's broken leg, but not fix your own injuries or illnesses?
Also why pray at all or live a devout life, if God has already decided whether you got heaven or hell.

As you can clearly see, I was talking about people who believe in predestination specifically.

carl wrote:1) I have free will to choose God and to be thankful for the life He gave me or...

It won't matter though, since in this case God has already decided where you'll go, before hand.
There's no point in praising or hating him.

carl wrote:2) I can be unthankful and spend my energies telling others He doesn't exist.

If that's what you want to do, go for it.
I have expressed nothing of the sort however, so stop with this pathetic and desperate straw-manning.

carl wrote:The worst thing my own child can tell someone is that his own dad doesn't even exist as far as he's concerned. Now that's pure hatred.

Difference being that you have evidence of the exitence of your father, even if he died before you were born.
You and your theist brothers have yet to present a single shred of evidence for the existence of any god, let alone yours.
Also, if your father is such an abusive parent as the God of Abraham is said to be, it would be perfectly valid to denounce him.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1091  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:38 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
carl wrote:
ADParker wrote:
carl wrote:

ok, but have you ever hurt anyone else? just asking.

Of what possible relevance is that question?
But if you must know; yes I have hurt other people, not even remotely as many as God has though... if you believe the stories that is. :roll:

Lets' look at your sense of justice: How have you 'taken responsibility' for your actions in each and every case where you hurt someone?

Answer the question carl. How is this remotely relevant to the OP?

ok, it is off-topic so I rescind the question.
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1092  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 11, 2015 11:40 am

Yep it is about time the mods cleared the mess up and sweep into one dog-pile.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1093  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 11:42 am

carl wrote:
Cody wrote:Theism holds that God gave us freewill. Right? Theists have to say this otherwise they will have to acknowledge that God is responsible for evil in the world as well as good.Freewill is the essential ingredient needed to make sense of Theism.
That having been said, there surely is no place for predestination in Theism. Freewill and predestination would be very strange bedfellows.

This is a mystery for theists, freewill and predestination. I do wonder about it on occasion but will have to wait until all things are revealed on that day when He returns.

Translation: I cannot adress this logical contradiction within my faith, so I will just ignore it.
It's irrational and demonstrates your faith is indefensible.

carl wrote:In the meantime, do I need all of the answers to believe?

You need to be able to rationally defend the claims made by your religion in order for your believe to be rational.

carl wrote:I am like the one who chooses to believe in the natural origin of the universe, life on earth, etc....I take it by faith in the meantime.

Except that isn't faith, since we have evidence pointing to natural origins. We have none, zilch, nada, 0, for the existence, much less involvement of any god(s).
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1094  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:44 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
carl wrote:

You have already been presented with a long list of things to live for, by many members of this board.
That you continue to pretend otherwise only demonstrates that you have no desire to discuss this honestly, never mind rationally.

I am asking thaesofereode. I hope you are not implying everyone has the same definition of 'the best life' or that no one else has anything else to add.
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1095  Postby Sendraks » Jan 11, 2015 11:49 am

carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
carl wrote:

I am asking thaesofereode. I hope you are not implying everyone has the same definition of 'the best life' or that no one else has anything else to add.

as has been said, you've bren presented with enough information in this thread already. Insisting that only one poster provides your answers is both evasive and dishonest.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#1096  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 11:50 am

carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
carl wrote:

No, I'm saying you've been presented with plenty of examples of reasons to live, for your OP question to be answered.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1097  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:53 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Except that isn't faith, since we have evidence pointing to natural origins.

You said "pointing"?

To bridge the gap from "pointing" to 'scientifically confirmed', your faith is used. This shows you are human and have biases and personal desires directing your stand just like the rest of us.

Thomas Nagel: "I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that.”(”The Last Word” by Thomas Nagel, Oxford University Press: 1997).
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1098  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 11:56 am

carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Except that isn't faith, since we have evidence pointing to natural origins.

You said "pointing"?

Yes and I know that you were going to wibble about that.

carl wrote:To bridge the gap from "pointing" to 'scientifically confirmed', your faith is used.

Except I haven't said it is scientifically confirmed.
Stop lying about other peoples positions in a desperate attempt to straw-man them carl. It's against the FUA and only serves to point out your total disinterest in the truth or rational discussion.

carl wrote: This shows you are human and have biases and personal desires directing your stand just like the rest of us.

Utter arsewater. It's digusting how dishonest and weasely you keep acting in this and your other threads carl. :yuk:

carl wrote:Thomas Nagel: "I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that.”(”The Last Word” by Thomas Nagel, Oxford University Press: 1997).

I already adressed this piece of shite.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1099  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:56 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:You need to be able to rationally defend the claims made by your religion in order for your believe to be rational.

Please stop using the term 'rational' as if humans can be completely objective and rational 100%. You and I have our obvious biases - just look at our posts. Are you blind?
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1100  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 11:58 am

carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:You need to be able to rationally defend the claims made by your religion in order for your believe to be rational.

Please stop using the term 'rational' as if humans can be completely objective and rational 100%. You and I have our obvious biases - just look at our posts. Are you blind?

Please shove this asinine black&white assertion where the sun doesn't shine and adress the point being made.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism