Global Atheist Convention - Melbourne 2010

List your event or idea to invite your local forum members.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Australian Atheist Convention, Melbourne 12-14 March

#121  Postby xrayzed » Mar 10, 2010 2:56 am

Praxis wrote:@xrayzed - So just the avatar, forum name and real name?

Do you want the URL of this forum as well?

Sorry, I presumed the last one was a given. Definitely yes. :thumbup:
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#122  Postby Praxis » Mar 10, 2010 3:28 am

xrayzed wrote:Sorry, I presumed the last one was a given. Definitely yes. :thumbup:

Did it last night. All done.

They look pretty good, if I do say so myself 8-)

It's so exciting - some are on planes now, some have already arrived in Melbourne and are whinging about the cool weather (hey, don't knock it!) but the forecast for the weekend looks perfect: 24c Friday, 25c on Sat and Sun.

:dance:
The Global Atheist Convention. March 12-14 2010. I was there!!
(in case you were wondering who I am - I used to be Aesthetic Atheist :) )
Praxis

Female

Print view this post

#123  Postby Goldenmane » Mar 10, 2010 3:35 am

Praxis wrote:
xrayzed wrote:Sorry, I presumed the last one was a given. Definitely yes. :thumbup:

Did it last night. All done.

They look pretty good, if I do say so myself 8-)

It's so exciting - some are on planes now, some have already arrived in Melbourne and are whinging about the cool weather (hey, don't knock it!) but the forecast for the weekend looks perfect: 24c Friday, 25c on Sat and Sun.

:dance:

I'm packing now, and just looked at the forecast.

Beautiful.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#124  Postby ginckgo » Mar 10, 2010 5:30 am

If people are still interested in a quick tour of our fossil collections, it seems the timetable would allow for either a session on Friday arvo (between lunch and registration?), or on Sunday arvo after it all winds up at about 5pm.

Another option at least for the Melbournians is to do it another weekend - wait, that means I'd have to go to work on a weekend, ugh.
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#125  Postby starr » Mar 10, 2010 6:11 am

VanYoungman wrote:Let me know how many kisses you steal Starr and have a splendiferous time. Wish I were there.

Will do Van :hugs:
stijndeloose wrote: A wise decision that anyone can make: if you feel tempted to attack a RatSkep member, take a break.

starr
RS Donator

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Faithfree » Mar 10, 2010 12:25 pm

ginckgo wrote:If people are still interested in a quick tour of our fossil collections, it seems the timetable would allow for either a session on Friday arvo (between lunch and registration?), or on Sunday arvo after it all winds up at about 5pm.

Another option at least for the Melbournians is to do it another weekend - wait, that means I'd have to go to work on a weekend, ugh.

Hi ginckgo,

I'd be quite keen on the tour if it's on. Friday would be best for me as I'm at a loose end all day until the registration time. I fly over early tomorrow morning and not sure how frequent my internet access will be so will PM you some contact details if it eventuates. Looks like Made of Stars is also interested (a couple of pages back).
Faithfree
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#127  Postby Goldenmane » Mar 10, 2010 5:03 pm

ginckgo wrote:If people are still interested in a quick tour of our fossil collections, it seems the timetable would allow for either a session on Friday arvo (between lunch and registration?), or on Sunday arvo after it all winds up at about 5pm.

I'm in either way.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Goldenmane

Print view this post

#128  Postby Goldenmane » Mar 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Currently 0245 hours Thursday. My flight leaves at 0030 Friday, so in roughly 22 hours. I'm bloody tired, will get about 5 hours sleep if I'm lucky tonight, and I'm working from 1400 to 2130 tomorr.. oh, hell, today. I think I'm done packing. Fortunately, I'm only visiting a strange and foreign city rather than a country, and I'm assured that shit like shops that sell food and socks are abundant (though no real iced coffee. Seriously, Victoria (and all other states) you need to get that shit fixed.)

So here's the drill: Awake sometime in the morning. Hopefully don't realise that you've forgotten something absolutely vital. Shit, shower, consider shaving. Have last minute panic over whether the airline cunts want you to bring some bullshit proof that you are who you say you are, other than a driver's license. Realise it doesn't matter anyway, as the moment you could have fixed that shit is past. Regret not bringing a camera. Give up on that shit because you have to go to work. Go to work.

Reflect, for the next 7-or-so hours, on the fact that apparently people around here think that not believing in god/s means something completely different to what it seems to me to mean, to whit: why the fuck are people shocked at the fact that I don't goddamn believe believe in gods? It's not like any of these cunts actually act on a belief in god/s. Be mildly reassured by the fact that all the people who engage on the topic realise in pretty short order that "atheist" really only means "someone who doesn't believe in god/s", and that for the most part they shut the fuck up pretty quickly when they actually fucking think about what I'm saying.

Finish work, race home, shit, shower, and probably refuse to shave, then get taken to the airport. On my way.

Spend the weekend with people who won't spaz out if I use words like abiogenesis, cladistics, or fucktangularity. Bliss.

This may well be my last post for the next few days. Sorry, but I've got a date with people I loves. I'll report back soonish, possibly when the welts heal.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Goldenmane

Print view this post

#129  Postby Alnilam » Mar 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Well at least your having a nice time and not stressing about it :)

angelo wrote:The words of Enoch Powell will come to haunt Western society.

:insane:
Alnilam
RS Donator

Print view this post

#130  Postby Praxis » Mar 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Well it sounds like your bowel habit is at least night and regular Geoff :lol:

I'm working onsite today, hair appointment at 4 pm then will sort through clothes tonight. One luxury of living in the city it's being held in, is that I don't have to actually pack until Friday morning. Then I can saunder in calmly (calm? Who am I kidding! :shock: ) and be all chilled and zen by the time I meet up with you all at 12.30 pm.

Oh, and I agree totally about people's reactions to the whole thing. I've had some pretty odd ones myself recently!

Have a good day at work. Try to get some sleep.

See you ... TOMORROW :o :dance: :cheers:
Praxis

Female

Print view this post

#131  Postby Durro » Mar 11, 2010 12:19 am

I had my hair done for the conference too. Claire-bear, my 7 year old ran the clippers over me and decided to continue on down my shoulders and back, so I'm even a little less cro-magnon looking for the event, heavy monobrow aside.

:shifty:
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#132  Postby xrayzed » Mar 11, 2010 12:46 am

I'll be on my plane in 24 hours. I'm really starting to look forward to it.
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Praxis » Mar 11, 2010 1:10 am

It's very exciting! Some behind-the-scenes people arrived in Melbourne yesterday (Protium is in charge of tech thingies) and Davo, stage manager got here from Qld yesterday too. I believe they enjoyed *ahem* a beer or two, judging by one text I received which read simply "beer! ... feck! ... girls!" :lol:

An AFA member landed yesterday from Qld and immediately posted "it's 14c WTF?!" :lol:

I have butterflies in my tummy, which is really silly I know, but ... I'M EXCITED :dance: :dance: :dance:
Praxis

Female

Print view this post

#134  Postby ginckgo » Mar 11, 2010 2:08 am

Right. Before everyone is off the grid, I'll try and finalise tomorrow's impromptu fossil collections tour. Could everyone who wants to come to the tour, and who hasn't PMed me yet, please do so. Like I said, I can only do about 10-12 people, so first in best lithified.

EDIT: I'll PM people who are coming the details of how to get to us (I'm probably overly cautious, but someone might object to the details being out in the open)
Last edited by ginckgo on Mar 11, 2010 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#135  Postby xrayzed » Mar 11, 2010 2:24 am

Praxis wrote:An AFA member landed yesterday from Qld and immediately posted "it's 14c WTF?!" :lol:

I guess said member never heard the saying, "Melbourne: four seasons in one day".

The weather is notoriously unpredictable. Interstate travellers: you have been warned.
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#136  Postby starr » Mar 11, 2010 2:29 am

I'm packing now.... :grin:
stijndeloose wrote: A wise decision that anyone can make: if you feel tempted to attack a RatSkep member, take a break.

starr
RS Donator

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#137  Postby ginckgo » Mar 11, 2010 2:34 am

xrayzed wrote:
Praxis wrote:An AFA member landed yesterday from Qld and immediately posted "it's 14c WTF?!" :lol:

I guess said member never heard the saying, "Melbourne: four seasons in one day".

The weather is notoriously unpredictable. Interstate travellers: you have been warned.

They would have had fun last weekend :shock:
Cape illud, fracturor

ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#138  Postby Praxis » Mar 11, 2010 2:47 am

ginckgo wrote:They would have had fun last weekend :shock:

Don't mention the war :shock: :lol:

I'll let you know asap about the tour - thanks heaps for organising it. I'm trying to get hold of JimC as I reckon he'd be super interested in this. Need to hear from Durro as well.

Will be in touch!
Praxis

Female

Print view this post

#139  Postby Antipotheosis » Mar 11, 2010 4:13 am

Are any of us meeting tomorrow for the first day of the convention? - I've missed a lot recently...
Antipotheosis

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#140  Postby ginckgo » Mar 11, 2010 4:23 am

Praxis wrote:
ginckgo wrote:They would have had fun last weekend :shock:

Don't mention the war :shock: :lol:

I'll let you know asap about the tour - thanks heaps for organising it. I'm trying to get hold of JimC as I reckon he'd be super interested in this. Need to hear from Durro as well.

Will be in touch!

Cheers! I'm sure they could be kept entertained if I juggle a couple of Burgess Shale oddities :grin:
Cape illud, fracturor

ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Events