Bernie Sanders 2016?

Senator To Announce Bid For Democratic Nomination

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Bernie Sanders 2016?

#2721  Postby NineOneFour » Apr 27, 2016 3:31 am

Doesn't matter.

Sanders is toast. Trump is about to be.

Then maybe Clinton will turn her sights on the GOP establishment. I'm hoping she Alderaans them.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#2722  Postby proudfootz » Apr 27, 2016 3:38 am

Again, the satirists seem to be better informed than the 'old pros'...

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2723  Postby crank » Apr 27, 2016 3:55 am

Comparing any of the candidates to Nixon and his CREEP are overblown. Those guys were seriously CREEPY, what an apt name, did they mean it that way? Probably. Don't forget what Watergate was, they were breaking into a psychiatrist office to steal documents in order to, well, 'dox' someone by exposing their psychiatric reports. There was more ugly BS, some worse than this. Another one I remember was ordering the IRS to basically fuck over enemies. The new guys haven't gotten that crazy, yet.

I don't know what's worse, Swiftboating or Watergate, the Swiftboating seems slimier to me, but less criminal.

Edit: The IRS thing wasn't carried out, it was a Nixon idea that his people didn't let him have carried out, if I remember it right.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#2724  Postby crank » Apr 27, 2016 4:51 am

NineOneFour wrote:
crank wrote:very classy

This from a guy who used to have an avatar that said "fuck the skull of Jesus"?

:smug:

Oh come on now, that was plenty classy, it was a crucifix FFS. Maybe a tad rude, well, it was a rude rood
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#2725  Postby crank » Apr 27, 2016 4:54 am

Brings back old times. Now, who thinks this isn't classy?
Attachments
fuck_the_skull_of_jesus-large.gif
fuck_the_skull_of_jesus-large.gif (62.78 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#2726  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 27, 2016 7:14 am

crank wrote:Comparing any of the candidates to Nixon and his CREEP are overblown. Those guys were seriously CREEPY, what an apt name, did they mean it that way? Probably. Don't forget what Watergate was, they were breaking into a psychiatrist office to steal documents in order to, well, 'dox' someone by exposing their psychiatric reports. There was more ugly BS, some worse than this. Another one I remember was ordering the IRS to basically fuck over enemies. The new guys haven't gotten that crazy, yet.

I don't know what's worse, Swiftboating or Watergate, the Swiftboating seems slimier to me, but less criminal.

Edit: The IRS thing wasn't carried out, it was a Nixon idea that his people didn't let him have carried out, if I remember it right.

Watergate began with the break in of the DNC headquarters in the Watergate building, with Nixon's guys trying to steal files. Bernie's guys just used computers for that sort of thing.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#2727  Postby Teague » Apr 27, 2016 10:21 am

Thommo wrote:
Teague wrote:I responded to the hatchet job made against Sanders in that piece by providing a reason for one of the things he did. Then you stuck your oar in for some reason. If someone wants to put up the reasons Clinton voted for it and can quote her then let's see it and compare - oh, they didn't do that in that shitty piece of journalism now, did they.

For some reason? You quoted me. Jesus.

Look, you can sit here and use epithets against the piece till the cows come home, but when you make demands like "If someone wants to put up the reasons Clinton voted for it and can quote her then let's see it and compare - oh, they didn't do that in that shitty piece of journalism now, did they." whilst sitting faced with a screen that contains the text of the article which very clearly points out she did not vote for the legislation (the first lady does not have a congressional vote after all) it just makes your argument look profoundly ill-thought out.

Yep my mistake, so let's remove the voting part and get her quotes instead. I'm sure she had no involvement as first lady at all in the decisions her husband made.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2728  Postby Teague » Apr 27, 2016 10:25 am

Shrunk wrote:
Teague wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
Teague wrote:

Really? You mean when she was for gay rights only 3 years ago? She's for the environment but supported the keystone pipeline and Fracking - ok.

Considering those are currently different positions than all three GOP candidates, are you insane?

Yeah we'll see about that after November.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that the Republican party is going to reverse its position on those issue come the election? I don't think you are. But then, what?

I'm talking about Clinton. What she says and what she actually believes and what she'll do will come out after November.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2729  Postby proudfootz » Apr 27, 2016 10:29 am

“It became clear that one of our staffers accessed some modeling data from another campaign,” Sanders’ campaign spokesperson told The New York Times. “That behavior is unacceptable and that staffer was immediately fired.”

I have a feeling the other candidate would have the guy promoted.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2730  Postby Teague » Apr 27, 2016 10:34 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
GT2211 wrote:
crank wrote:In my last post, I'm not trying to say the crime bill caused the mass incarceration, I agree there was a trend already underway, I'm saying to say it didn't make things worse can't be proven with that chart, and saying it didn't doesn't make much sense.

I agree it probably contributed, I just think its contribution was rather minor whereas Teague and others seem to be focusing on it if as it were the primary cause. And there seems to be an attempt to dissociate Sanders role in this legislation.

Well he is declared holy by Teague and can do no wrong.

Of course, you will be able to find the post where I declared him holy won't you. No, of course you won't because just like every post you make, you're full of vapidity and are unable to recognise a decent politician when you see one.

I might "seem" to be focusing on it as a primary cause whereas what I'm actually doing is drawing a character trait of Clinton and any disassociation with Sander's is more nonsense. I've already quoted him about his decision - perhaps you would like to discuss that or are we just point scoring here. "Oh look everyone Sanders also voted for that Bill!!!" Yeah, and what other stuff are in those bills that have many things in them, some good, some bad that required thought and judgement into it or is everyone trying to convince themselves now that Sander's record is as bad as Clinton's because they know they're stuck with her now?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2731  Postby proudfootz » Apr 27, 2016 10:46 am

Teague wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Teague wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

Considering those are currently different positions than all three GOP candidates, are you insane?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that the Republican party is going to reverse its position on those issue come the election? I don't think you are. But then, what?

I'm talking about Clinton. What she says and what she actually believes and what she'll do will come out after November.

If Clinton is good enough for the Koch brothers, she should be good enough for the rest of us.

Right? :ask:
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2732  Postby Teague » Apr 27, 2016 10:47 am

GT2211 wrote:Ugh, Teague, you simply aren't being intellectually honest here.

You claimed Clinton was responsible for mass incarceration, I posted evidence that contradicted your claim suggesting that whatever role the 94 bill played, it was minor.

You have now moved the goal posts to:

Teague wrote:

And that helped the Black community did it - what the Clinton's did to bring them to heel? I already addressed the other point above about his vote on that.

Now did it improve them? idk. I would lean towards no. I don't think it caused much harm neither. Though it was a bill that was pushed by many in the black community and the CBC in response to the high violence rates in their communities that started to decline shortly after(note I don't credit the 94 bill for this)

As for addressing Bernie... did you address it by noting the hypocrisy of Bernie's criticism of politicians campaigning as tough on crime while doing so himself? Or his flip flopping on the issue? Or his attempt to rewrite history?

Or did you attempt to handwave it away by saying 'sure he voted on it and touted his tough on crime record during his campaigns, but he didn't really support it'?

The main point in this election, that we're all talking about, is the effect the crime bill had on the black community. Whilst it may not have been the bill itself, when coupled with the disproportionate rates that black are arrested at, what effect do you think those two things had together?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2733  Postby Teague » Apr 27, 2016 10:54 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
Teague wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

It's basically a massive Gish-Gallop. Duane Gish would be proud.

Never the less all of Gish's accusations and arguments have been countered. I've yet to see even a slight attempt here to counter any of Alperstein's "accusations".

But thank you for the Gish Gallop comparison here because it applies to the Sanders camp and its accusations towards Hillary far more than it could ever apply to Clinton's.

I find it amusing that no one in the Bernie camp here is willing to counter any of Alperstein's accusations and opinions. You'd all rather just complain that there are to many to counter.

I'll do this one....

Sanders voted for a 1994 crime bill that he attacked Clinton for supporting.

In 1994, for example, he said that he would support it because it included the Violence Against Women Act, which helped crack down on domestic violence and rape. Sanders said:

I have a number of serious problems with the crime bill, but one part of it that I vigorously support is the Violence Against Women Act. We urgently need the $1.8 billion in this bill to combat the epidemic of violence against women on the streets and in the homes of America.

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/26/11116412/bernie-sanders-mass-incarceration

Oh, sad day for you.

Bullshit! Sanders also claims that he voted for the bill because it included the assault weapons ban, but he also voted for an earlier version that did not include the assault weapons ban or the violence against women act.

Something interesting in Bernie's excuses like this is the inconsistency. Bernie claims that he only voted for the crime bill because it had the assault weapons ban and the violence against women acts knowing full well (according to his comments at the time) that it increased death penalty offenses, and would increase sentencing for certain crimes, and would increase prison populations.

He also claims to have voted for the auto industry bailout, because without it 4,000,000 people could loose their jobs.

So far this is true, but that bill failed to pass congress. When the auto industry bailout was bundled into the the second half of the Troubled Asset Relief Program release of funds and Bernie had another chance to vote for saving the jobs of 4,000,000 people he voted against it.

In the first case, according to Bernie, he was able to sacrifice his principle for what good it could do for gun safety and protection of women from violence. But in the case of the auto industry bailout he stood on principle and was willing to let 4,000,000 people become unemployed.

The auto industry/TARP vote just seems like spite to me. Bernie hates "Wall Street" and "Big Banks" so much that he was willing to sacrifice the well being of 4,000,000 middle class Americans and their families by voting no. And in the case of the 1994 crime bill he was willing to sacrifice the lives and well being of possibly millions of young less fortunate people.

It's bullshit that there was violence against women? So what was in the 2nd Auto-bailout bill and what were his reasons for voting it down?

Over the last 4 decades and a declining middle class, how many millions of Americans do you think have lost their jobs or get paid less and how many jobs were moved overseas and how many people got fucked over from the huge crash of 08? Who gave a shit about the tens of millions around the world that were affected by that?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2734  Postby Teague » Apr 27, 2016 10:58 am

Thommo wrote:Nobody has a clear explanation of the phenomenon of the dramatic drops in violent crime, but it was observed throughout the western world, so can we stop playing party politics with it, please? Whatever the explanation is, it's not clear and it's probably not simple minded (unless it's lead poisoning after all).

That's a graph showing crime in Britain - rather unlikely to be a response to US policy, notice how the shape is similar to the US trend? That was observed in a large number of countries and has been one of the great academic mysteries of the 21st century. Whatever it was, it's way bigger than bickering between the Clinton and Sanders campaigns.

The age of Aquarius? :P
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2735  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 27, 2016 10:58 am

Teague wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
GT2211 wrote:
crank wrote:In my last post, I'm not trying to say the crime bill caused the mass incarceration, I agree there was a trend already underway, I'm saying to say it didn't make things worse can't be proven with that chart, and saying it didn't doesn't make much sense.

I agree it probably contributed, I just think its contribution was rather minor whereas Teague and others seem to be focusing on it if as it were the primary cause. And there seems to be an attempt to dissociate Sanders role in this legislation.

Of course, you will be able to find the post where I declared him holy won't you. No, of course you won't because just like every post you make, you're full of vapidity and are unable to recognise a decent politician when you see one.

I might "seem" to be focusing on it as a primary cause whereas what I'm actually doing is drawing a character trait of Clinton and any disassociation with Sander's is more nonsense. I've already quoted him about his decision - perhaps you would like to discuss that or are we just point scoring here. "Oh look everyone Sanders also voted for that Bill!!!" Yeah, and what other stuff are in those bills that have many things in them, some good, some bad that required thought and judgement into it or is everyone trying to convince themselves now that Sander's record is as bad as Clinton's because they know they're stuck with her now?

Sanders is a politician but you are unable to recognise that. For the rest once again nonsense.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2736  Postby Teague » Apr 27, 2016 10:59 am

Shrunk wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:It looks to me like more police and the arrest and locking up of more offenders of violent and other crimes such as selling drugs correlates very strongly with a precipitous drop and steady decline in violent crimes.

Much like the reduction in number of pirates correlates with increase in global warning. A closer look at the numbers suggests incarceration had, at best, a minor role in the decline:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... me/385364/

Margarine.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2737  Postby crank » Apr 27, 2016 11:08 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
crank wrote:Comparing any of the candidates to Nixon and his CREEP are overblown. Those guys were seriously CREEPY, what an apt name, did they mean it that way? Probably. Don't forget what Watergate was, they were breaking into a psychiatrist office to steal documents in order to, well, 'dox' someone by exposing their psychiatric reports. There was more ugly BS, some worse than this. Another one I remember was ordering the IRS to basically fuck over enemies. The new guys haven't gotten that crazy, yet.

Watergate began with the break in of the DNC headquarters in the Watergate building, with Nixon's guys trying to steal files. Bernie's guys just used computers for that sort of thing.

Yes, I really blew that one, mixed it up with some other part, which now my brain is too muddled to figure out, but I think maybe it was plans to do the same to Daniel Ellsberg's office. You could have legitimately if childishly gloated over that, but you couldn't resist lying, so you had to throw in the bogus charge about the 'hacking'. That smear was shown to be bogus very quickly, anyone have aware could see that just from the way it was handled.

It's funny that right after the story of Hillary pouring in a $ million to generate fake social media content that numerous Sanders supporters FB pages got attacked by a guy 'liking' the very people Hillary paid. Do I think there is something there? very likely not, but sure is an funny coincidence.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#2738  Postby Teague » Apr 27, 2016 11:13 am

crank wrote:Brings back old times. Now, who thinks this isn't classy?

I don't know what an avatar has to do with what you post or how that's even something to argue about on the forums.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2739  Postby Teague » Apr 27, 2016 11:15 am

proudfootz wrote:
Teague wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Teague wrote:

If Clinton is good enough for the Koch brothers, she should be good enough for the rest of us.

Right? :ask:

LOL maybe - we'll find out after November - she might have been pulling a double-Palpatine (Or an inverse Palpatine) all these years and she's about to kick ass.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2740  Postby Teague » Apr 27, 2016 11:18 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Teague wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
GT2211 wrote:

Sanders is a politician but you are unable to recognise that. For the rest once again nonsense.

ok.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs