Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#7061  Postby ronmcd » Apr 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Cabinet Office confims govt has tonight laid a Day of Poll Order needed for Euro elections: “As a responsible Government today we have taken the necessary steps required by law should we have to participate."

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/11 ... 7380050944
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7062  Postby Beatsong » Apr 08, 2019 5:33 pm

tuco wrote:I guess I am gonna post the clock like Scot Dutchy

Oh please do. Then it will be twice as clever.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7063  Postby tuco » Apr 08, 2019 5:35 pm

lol

It seems easier to just write it

4:3:24:30

---
edit: nah I changed my mind, I am free person

Lets check this pinacle of cleverness, IQ 200

Beatsong wrote:And to clarify in relation to Hermit's questions above - I don't think any of this would be in the "interest of the country", even if Labour could achieve it. I can't really see the point of exchanging an immediate disaster for a long term, drawn out disaster, which has the additional disadvantage of destroying the only realistic parliamentary opposition, leaving the country even more open to being arse-raped by the Tories, and quite possibly just ending in the same disaster anyway, after referendum no. 3 or 4.

I'm coming round to thinking the best thing for the country at this point is to get on with a full, hearty, proper English Brexit, so we can suffer the consequences and noone can complain that it didn't get a chance to prove itself. Then when things get bad enough and when enough of the old bigots have died off, stick our pathetic tail between our legs and beg to go back in.

Yah, noone can complain, best for the country, proper English Brexit and lets suffer - read I will not suffer too much but lets make suffer those who fucked it up - because its best for the country. Let's wait 20 years.

If people like you vote no wonder democracy looks like it does.

edit1: What you gonna say now? Clever lol
tuco

Print view this post

#7064  Postby Beatsong » Apr 08, 2019 9:08 pm

What do you want me to say? I didn't vote for the fucking car crash in the first place. I opposed it with every fibre of my being, just as I've opposed all the stupidity, narrow-mindedness, bigotry, racism and short-sightedness that led to it.

But I lost. We lost. Fine: I get that. Sometimes different people in a country see things in very different ways. There has to be a conversation, a debate, and if necessary a vote. Sometimes some of those people (ie, me) have to suck it up and say "oh well, I gave it my best shot. I put my case. I didn't have the numbers. We lost".

So I've done that. Now tell me: Having done that, having sucked it up and resigned myself to suffering the consequences of other peoples' stupidity (and I don't know where you get the assumption that "I will not suffer", because I fucking well will), why in Fuck's name should I then not only have to LOSE the vote, but have my side held responsible for bailing out and saving the morons who WON it?

Jesus Christ, you couldn't make this up. You want to tell me that everything I've ever learnt about tolerance, equality, open-mindedness, generosity and forward-thinking internationalism counts for nothing, because we've decided to put the country's future in the hands of a bunch of bigoted idiots? I can deal with that, just. I'm not happy about it, but I'll get by, But don't then turn around and tell me that when those same fucking idiots have to look face to face at the consequences of their idiocy, the idiocy that I tried everything I could to talk them out of and avoid, the idiocy that we're BOTH going to have to suffer for despite the fact that it wasn't MY fucking choice to put it into law: Don't then turn around and tell me that I - and my party, who had the honesty, integrity, sense and dignity not to fall prey to that idiocy in the first place - are somehow duty-bound to save those idiots from the consequences of their own idiocy, even at the cost of our own self-annihilation.

Fuck that. I challenge anyone to show me how that makes any sense whatsoever. If people didn't want a referendum they could have voted for the party that had the sense not to offer a referendum. If people wanted to Remain they could have voted Remain. You want to fuck your own life up and mine and the rest of the country while you're at it? Go nuts. But don't come crying to me and tell me how my party leader should be making it all better for you, so you can then get on with having a good life thanks to all the things my party has fought to win for the country, and then turn around and vote for the bigots again.

Own your fucking mistakes. They're not mine.
Last edited by Beatsong on Apr 08, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7065  Postby Matt_B » Apr 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Beatsong wrote:Interesting perspectives on whether Labour should push for a second referendum here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... a-de-piero

I still don't know what I think! I think probably, the part I agree with most is de Piero's point that "there has been no seismic shift of opinion". I know a lot of hardline Remainers who manage to convince themselves that the country is now hugely more pro-Remain, basically because it makes so much sense to themselves that they can't imagine it not making sense to other people. But everybody I know who actually lives or works among Leavers says the oppposite. Polls are inconclusive...

That being so, I think there's a real danger of the most dangerous and difficult result - a tiny majority for Remain. I don't think such a referendum would help. If parliament are prepared to overturn Brexit because the country is divided "about 50/50" then they can do that without a referendum (and face the consequences) because we know that already.

A second referendum only solves one problem, and it's that Parliament don't have to own what's going to be a widely unpopular decision whichever choice they make.

In terms of making the right choice for the country, it's up there with tossing a coin.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#7066  Postby Thommo » Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm

ronmcd wrote:LOL

(this lol was brought to you courtesy of Scotland is too poor to be independent :grin: )

But let's not get in to that.

Fascinated as I am by this now long-term vein of posting, I looked up the providence of the accusation that "Scotland is too poor to be independent" and it appears to be attributable to pro-independence SNP politician John Swinney.

One wonders how that is relevant to any thread, post or view expressed by a ratskepper ever, as it appears the SNP members here (like John Swinney himself, and indeed, apparently every other living human) don't agree with that hypothetical view.
Thommo

Print view this post

#7067  Postby tuco » Apr 08, 2019 10:08 pm

@Beatsong What I want you to say? If you don't recognize yourself your "thought" was certainly not clever, then nothing.

From lets human point of view I can understand, after your explanation, I think. Not only you are tried and frustrated, and want this to be over with regardless of outcome, and turn TV on and dont hear about Brexit no more and move on with your lives. But I did not evaluate your post on human level but on content level.

From where I sit, a politician should do the right thing even if the cost of pursuing it is high and not to hoard votes like a corporation hoards money. We can only speculate how history will interpret current events but interpretation: He destroyed his own party (if that was to even happen) for the greater good of the nation .. does not sound that bad to me. Yeah sure, I dont do politics. Exactly because I believe in doing the right thing even if the cost is high.
tuco

Print view this post

#7068  Postby Thommo » Apr 08, 2019 10:15 pm

tuco wrote:He destroyed his own party (if that was to even happen) for the greater good of the nation .. does not sound that bad to me.

As an abstraction I agree, doing the right thing at the expense of some particular party politics sounds like a good deal.

The problem is it's not clear what "the right thing" here is (democracy? unity? economics? long termism?) or just how "right" it is in comparison to the other choices.
Thommo

Print view this post

#7069  Postby tuco » Apr 08, 2019 10:17 pm

Well, if it's not clear to those concerned, I concede the point. To me its clear.
tuco

Print view this post

#7070  Postby Thommo » Apr 08, 2019 10:20 pm

Out of interest, what is the answer that's clear to you? Brexit with customs union at expense of Labour unity?
Thommo

Print view this post

#7071  Postby tuco » Apr 08, 2019 10:23 pm

A second referendum.
tuco

Print view this post

#7072  Postby Thommo » Apr 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Fair enough. I can't see a second referendum splitting the Labour party (any further) anyway.
Thommo

Print view this post

#7073  Postby ronmcd » Apr 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Thommo wrote:
ronmcd wrote:LOL

(this lol was brought to you courtesy of Scotland is too poor to be independent :grin: )

But let's not get in to that.

Fascinated as I am by this now long-term vein of posting, I looked up the providence of the accusation that "Scotland is too poor to be independent" and it appears to be attributable to pro-independence SNP politician John Swinney.

One wonders how that is relevant to any thread, post or view expressed by a ratskepper ever, as it appears the SNP members here (like John Swinney himself, and indeed, apparently every other living human) don't agree with that hypothetical view.

Just a reference to this post:
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p2690067

Also, the form of words I used, "Scotland is too poor to be independent", was entirely my own and was not in fact a quote, or meme, or otherwise attributable to anyone else. Simply an abstraction from Svartalf's post.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7074  Postby ronmcd » Apr 08, 2019 11:35 pm

And to explain my original post, I had posted "LOL" on it's own. I realised with others posting between Svartalf's post and my LOL, I best explain what I was laughing at.

An accidental derail.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7075  Postby Hermit » Apr 09, 2019 1:40 am

ronmcd wrote:

What birdbrain wrote the last sentence? Would they be able to consider applications received after the deadline if the timescale were longer? And how would you shorten or lengthen a timescale anyway?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#7076  Postby GrahamH » Apr 09, 2019 7:59 am

Matt_B wrote:A second referendum only solves one problem, and it's that Parliament don't have to own what's going to be a widely unpopular decision whichever choice they make.

In terms of making the right choice for the country, it's up there with tossing a coin.

You are right to an extent, it transfer ownership of the issue from government / Parliament to the electorate. That latter is the more important bit. So some MPs may say "it wasn't our fault" but anyone might say of the voters "it's what you (we) said you (we)wanted".
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#7077  Postby Matt_B » Apr 09, 2019 8:59 am

GrahamH wrote:
Matt_B wrote:A second referendum only solves one problem, and it's that Parliament don't have to own what's going to be a widely unpopular decision whichever choice they make.

You are right to an extent, it transfer ownership of the issue from government / Parliament to the electorate. That latter is the more important bit. So some MPs may say "it wasn't our fault" but anyone might say of the voters "it's what you (we) said you (we)wanted".

I don't think it's really transferring ownership of the issue though. It's not like the public will be offered a range of indicative votes that they can keep gaming until new ones come along and regular briefings about the realistic chances of the EU accepting any potential deal in the same way that Parliament have been.

Rather, they'd just be offered a binary choice and a shitload of misleading propaganda, with no guarantee that the government wouldn't just Mulligan the result if they didn't like it.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#7078  Postby tuco » Apr 09, 2019 9:15 am

3:11:45:23

sad mediocre thumb giving bunch that is what you are
tuco

Print view this post

#7079  Postby GrahamH » Apr 09, 2019 10:15 am

This is a surprise to no one
Germany’s EU affairs minister has complained that “absolutely nothing has changed” in Westminster, 24 hours before the bloc’s leaders come together to decide on a possible Brexit delay.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/c ... spartandhp
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#7080  Postby GrahamH » Apr 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Journolist Peter Oborne has changed his mind.

Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs