Call for Action to Prevent Gun Violence in the United States

Interdisciplinary Group on Preventing School and Community Violence

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Call for Action to Prevent Gun Violence in the United States

#401  Postby The_Piper » Nov 01, 2023 3:10 pm

Here are some of those details-
I heard that the deputies didn't want to start a standoff from one of the law enforcement spokesperson on this news channel below. Some are different now from my last post, and pretty damning on law enforcement's failure. News Center Maine has a lot of videos on this subject.

Maine does have a yellow flag law about disarming people like the killer before shit like this happens. I bet the deputies gave him deference because he was a guardsman.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#402  Postby THWOTH » Nov 02, 2023 10:12 am

Spearthrower wrote:
THWOTH wrote:At this point I think the only option available is to make mass shootings legal.

Another crime solved!

Exactly.

You see, if mass shootings were made legal then there would be nothing to report and gossip about here, and the perpetrators would be denied the posthumous notoriety they so obviously crave. If people had a death wish and a burning desire to get into the papers they'd just have to think of creative/entertaining ways to commit suicide in order to secure a slot on the 6 o'clock news. And if mass shootings were legal then prospective mass shooters would probably organise a protest match on Washington: "Whadda we want? Mass shootings! When do we want it? NOW!" which would probably cut their numbers by at least two-thirds in a day - maybe more if there were some good guys with guns about. I tell you, it's the only way.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#403  Postby felltoearth » Nov 02, 2023 12:06 pm

Pipez, I thought of you when this started. I knew odds were you were safe but I’m guessing this shook you up a bit. Take care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#404  Postby The_Piper » Nov 02, 2023 3:10 pm

felltoearth wrote:Pipez, I thought of you when this started. I knew odds were you were safe but I’m guessing this shook you up a bit. Take care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks FTE. Lewiston is around 200 miles south. But yeah it still shook me up. Long time no see! :cheers:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#405  Postby The_Piper » Nov 17, 2023 9:46 pm

Here we go again. Obviously. :shock: :nono: I hope it's less horrific than the last one. If that's a possible possibility.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-victims-reported-shooting-new-hampshire-state-hospital/story?id=104989486
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#406  Postby The_Piper » Nov 18, 2023 12:21 pm

Well thankfully it was less horrific in that only one person was shot at the NH state hospital, who later died. A 63-year old security guard who was previously a police chief. What a way to go. :nono: The shooter was shot and killed by a state police officer assigned to the hospital. It's a psychiatric hospital. These posts aren't out of place, but I'm glad it wasn't another mass murder.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#407  Postby The_Piper » Nov 27, 2023 1:54 am

What the fuck. 3 Palestinian-American college students shot in Burlington Vermont, of all places. I've been to Burlington when I was a young man and my takeaway is that is was a pretty inclusive town. This is really awful, and I hope they catch the guy soon...It's even front page news at ABC. https://abcnews.go.com/US/college-students-palestinian-descent-wounded-vermont-shooting/story?id=105164590
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#408  Postby Seabass » Dec 27, 2023 11:01 pm

Florida teen allegedly shoots and kills sister over Christmas gift spat
The 14-year-old was then allegedly shot and wounded by his 15-year-old brother in retaliation; both are now in custody

A Florida woman holding her 11-month-old son in a baby carrier was fatally shot by her 14-year-old brother while trying to defuse an argument over Christmas gifts he was having with a 15-year-old brother who also was armed, authorities said.

The 15-year-old brother then shot his 14-year-old brother, though not fatally, for killing their sister on Sunday in Largo, Florida, which is located in the Tampa metro area, the Pinellas county sheriff’s office said in a news release.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/27/florida-teen-allegedly-shoots-kills-sister-christmas-gift
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#409  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 27, 2023 11:12 pm

A whole family of dumb fuck. And the infant pays with its life.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#410  Postby The_Piper » Dec 28, 2023 3:43 am

Jesus Christ, that's even bizarre for Florida. (Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration.) It takes a good guy kid with a gun to stop a bad kid with a gun. :confused:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#411  Postby SpeedOfSound » Jan 03, 2024 3:23 pm

My daughter was murdered by a psychotic neighbor who lived across the hall on Nov 5th 2020. She had a restraining order and the police were called in for the conflict over twenty times. Not once did they think to check for the registered .40 caliber gun he owned. To be fair, my daughter and I never thought this bat-shit crazy guy could have a gun until it was too late.

In MN two days ago we got a red flag law passed. Still only the police and family members can raise a flag and the police seem very reluctant to take guns away from nut-cakes.

I am a gun owner and have a carry permit. My daughter was working on one before she died. Problem is it would not have helped her the way it went down.

Why does common-sense get such a bad rap?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#412  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 03, 2024 4:13 pm

No parent should have to bury their child. I offer my condolences.

You describe the exact reason I do not arm myself. The vanishingly small likelihood of the need, multiplied by the vanishingly small likelihood my trusty weapon would be at hand to successfully defend against that event. Well, that’s part of it, anyway. I couldn’t figure out a way to eliminate (not merely reduce) the risk to ourselves from the mere availability of a weapon in our household.

My little brother is long dead now because a gun was at hand during an episode of severe depression and he used it to kill himself.

You know very keenly about the first situation, I know very keenly about the latter. Our lives would be better today except for the guns.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#413  Postby SpeedOfSound » Jan 03, 2024 5:03 pm

The_Metatron wrote:No parent should have to bury their child. I offer my condolences.

You describe the exact reason I do not arm myself. The vanishingly small likelihood of the need, multiplied by the vanishingly small likelihood my trusty weapon would be at hand to successfully defend against that event. Well, that’s part of it, anyway. I couldn’t figure out a way to eliminate (not merely reduce) the risk to ourselves from the mere availability of a weapon in our household.

My little brother is long dead now because a gun was at hand during an episode of severe depression and he used it to kill himself.

You know very keenly about the first situation, I know very keenly about the latter. Our lives would be better today except for the guns.

If there were a way to eliminate all of them then I am all for it. Until then I will use my carry for the unlikely event that I am trapped and have no other choice. It gives some comfort. Now had my daughter been given another ten seconds warning she may have got back into her bedroom and in that case a gun would have given her a better than 50% chance of saving her life.

And yeah. Grief for the last three years has been something that took over my life.

The thing is that there are many things we can do to compromise with the hard-liners. One problem is that those of us that want something done go too damned far. Take a look at the recent California bill. All good till they get to the point were they restrict carries from certain areas. If they make getting a carry stringent and have powerful red-flag laws then this is a restriction too far. You will not get what you want by stuffing the bills with things that give the nuts a good reason to protest.
You do that and you lose people like me that are in the middle.

Consider what common sense will get us.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#414  Postby THWOTH » Jan 04, 2024 2:11 am

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter SoS, and your brother T_M :hugs:

Such tragedies speak to so many things, not just the familial and social impact of the availability of guns and ammunition, but to social provision for those in mental health crises, the ineffectualness of the law, the absence of political will to reduce fear and improve conditions for all, as well the sense of comfort and empowerment that a lethal hand-held weapon can offer both the sensible and the insensible within a climate of fear.

As to what to do about any of that... I have absolutely no fucking idea.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#415  Postby The_Piper » Jan 12, 2024 2:54 pm

Here in Maine, this mass shooting is not just going to be forgotten. I blame, (well, Card first and foremost) the police for not making damn well sure they talked to Card and disarmed him, concurrent with state law. I hope they can live with themselves and learn from this going forward. When someone threatens a mass shooting, it's always serious and needs to be checked into. The Army Reserve also has blood on their hands. :(
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#416  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 12, 2024 3:48 pm

I’ve long ago decided that I will be forced to act if gun violence ever touches my family. The State is useless. The decision is simply that if anyone visits gun violence upon mine, I will have vengeance. I once thought it only fair I warn people. But, fuck ‘em. There is no applicable concept of fairness I owe those who would harm my family. Remorseless, calculating vengeance. Anyone who would do such things to me or mine will never do it to another.

It scares me sometimes that that monster is so close to being released.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#417  Postby The_Piper » Jan 13, 2024 2:18 pm

Gun violence actually touched my "step-family" from Illinois. I put that in quotes because my father remarried when I was in my 30's, so I don't know them too well. Anyways my oldest stepbrother was a contractor who travelled around the country setting up retail spaces, and whatever else they paid him for. While working in Florida, one of his employees got in an argument with him and left. He returned with a gun and shot him, fatally. This happened in the early stage of covid that was more dangerous and before vaccines. I didn't have a murderous rage, but I would have travelled to Florida to be in the court room when the dickhead was there, but it was a danger to my health. Covid + Florida really upped the risk. Luckily he had a lot of brothers and sisters, and some went to Florida to be there. My step-family are conservative, but not gun nuts.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#418  Postby Seabass » Feb 14, 2024 10:32 pm

US police officer shoots at unarmed suspect after mistaking acorn drop for gunshot

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#419  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 15, 2024 2:21 am

1 dead, at least 21 injured in shooting at Kansas City Chiefs' Super Bowl rally

One person was killed and up to 21 others were injured after shots were fired Wednesday afternoon outside Union Station in Kansas City, Mo., at the conclusion of a celebration for the Kansas City Chiefs' Super Bowl win, officials said.

Guns, guns, guns!
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#420  Postby The_Piper » Feb 15, 2024 5:14 am

Sing along with Mr. LaPierrre, children. "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Also some policeman are wusses, to put it nicely. An acorn. That couldn't even scare a fucking squirrel, whose weight are measured in grams.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs