Evidence for the Decline of America (retitled)

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Evidence for the Decline of America (retitled)

#1  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 12, 2010 8:26 am

I'm creating this thread to collect and discuss stories of the decline of America. The stories seem depressingly common these days. "Third World America" is the title of a new book by Arianna Huffington.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/1 ... 78840.html

UPDATE (11:24 PM Eastern): Officials now estimate that a crowd of 30,000 turned out, three times what they had originally anticipated. Some in attendance may have been accompanying actual applicants even if they were not applying themselves. 13,000 applications were handed out.

The large numbers indicate a huge demand, but there is literally no supply. The housing agency director "stressed that none of her agency's 455 housing aid vouchers is available at the moment."

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "Concern is rising that a similar scene could occur Thursday when the housing authority of this small city begins accepting the completed applications. Wednesday's event was only to hand out the paperwork. The housing authority will begin accepting applications at 9 a.m."

CONTINUED

!
MODNOTE
Thread retitled 13/08/10.
kiore.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Third World America

#2  Postby GreatApe » Aug 12, 2010 8:46 am

Here's a "terrific" photo-journal from Time magazine on the decline of Detroit, a separate article on the issue written by David Frum (whose writing I greatly admire), and a link to Cheri Gay's book on the topic (as mentioned--and criticized--in the Frum piece and available on Amazon.com). All three are quite good; even if the reality of the topic is historically tragic and even if they offer a foreshadowing of things to come in other American cities.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0 ... 89,00.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157145 ... nskepti-20

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... troit.aspx

--GA
Last edited by GreatApe on Aug 12, 2010 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------
"Quiero Saber" : Gipsy Kings
GreatApe

Name: GreatApe
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 12, 2010 9:06 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-re ... 79426.html

America's biggest -- and only major -- jobs program is the U.S. military.

Over 1,400,000 Americans are now on active duty; another 833,000 are in the reserves, many full time. Another 1,600,000 Americans work in companies that supply the military with everything from weapons to utensils. (I'm not even including all the foreign contractors employing non-US citizens.)

If we didn't have this giant military jobs program, the U.S. unemployment rate would be over 11.5 percent today instead of 9.5 percent.

And without our military jobs program personal incomes would be dropping faster. The Commerce Department reported Monday the only major metro areas where both net earnings and personal incomes rose last year were San Antonio, Texas, Virginia Beach, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. -- because all three have high concentrations of military and federal jobs.

This isn't an argument for more military spending. Just the opposite. Having a giant undercover military jobs program is an insane way to keep Americans employed. It creates jobs we don't need but we keep anyway because there's no honest alternative. We don't have an overt jobs program based on what's really needed.

CONTINUED
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 12, 2010 9:07 am

Jeffersonian-marxist wrote:http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=K9sPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=TI0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=7075,322664&dq=the+decline+of+america&hl=en

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=hq ... rica&hl=en

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=u_ ... rica&hl=en

Nice try. Do you believe in global cooling as well?
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Jeffersonian-marxist » Aug 12, 2010 9:08 am

NineOneFour wrote:
Jeffersonian-marxist wrote:http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=K9sPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=TI0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=7075,322664&dq=the+decline+of+america&hl=en

My, you're clever.
Jeffersonian-marxist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 12, 2010 9:09 am

Jeffersonian-marxist wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

My, you're clever.

Says the guy who thinks he's clever by posting three ancient newspaper clippings from the 1970s, without any previews or summaries apparently in a futile attempt to discredit the thread in the first place.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#8  Postby crank » Aug 12, 2010 9:10 am

GreatApe wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David Frum (whose writing I greatly admire)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I agree, there are a few conservatives out there who aren't in the bat-shit brigade, routinely pointing out the craziness they see all around them in their party. I can think of Frum, Mark McKinnon and David Brooks off hand. I'm relatively conservative in a lot of my views, but the name has gotten so distorted and warped I don't know what use it is other than as a synonym for crazed-willfully ignorant duplicitous douchebaggery.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Jeffersonian-marxist » Aug 12, 2010 9:11 am

I don't agree that America is devolving into a third-world country.

Therefore I think that global warming is a hoax.

Impeccable inferences.
Jeffersonian-marxist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 12, 2010 9:21 am

Jeffersonian-marxist wrote:I don't agree that America is devolving into a third-world country.

Therefore I think that global warming is a hoax.

Impeccable inferences.

Hey, both use random little articles from the 1970's to try and prove their points.

If you don't think America is devolving, why not try to post some alternative facts instead of this intellectually dishonest tactic?
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Jeffersonian-marxist » Aug 12, 2010 9:24 am

I make a habit of being skeptical of doomsayers, especially when they have been saying their doom for some time.
Jeffersonian-marxist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 12, 2010 9:59 am

NineOneFour wrote:Says the guy who thinks he's clever by posting three ancient newspaper clippings from the 1970s, without any previews or summaries apparently in a futile attempt to discredit the thread in the first place.

Fair is fair - if you're going to post contemporary diatribes from homeopaths predicting that the US is due for imminent collapse, it's entirely appropriate for someone to point out that doomsayers have been saying the same thing for more than 30 years now, a prediction that has yet to be borne out.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#13  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 12, 2010 10:15 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:Says the guy who thinks he's clever by posting three ancient newspaper clippings from the 1970s, without any previews or summaries apparently in a futile attempt to discredit the thread in the first place.

Fair is fair - if you're going to post contemporary diatribes from homeopaths predicting that the US is due for imminent collapse, it's entirely appropriate for someone to point out that doomsayers have been saying the same thing for more than 30 years now, a prediction that has yet to be borne out.

1. As far as I know, Robert Reich is not a homeopath.
2. Finding three articles claiming American decline is not much of a case.

Fair IS fair, and fair would be posting things that actually DEBUNK what I post.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 12, 2010 10:25 am

NineOneFour wrote:1. As far as I know, Robert Reich is not a homeopath.

It was a general comment about the homeopathy-loving Huffington Post.

NineOneFour wrote:2. Finding three articles claiming American decline is not much of a case.

Are you talking about your post or Jeffersonian-marxist's? :coffee:

NineOneFour wrote:Fair IS fair, and fair would be posting things that actually DEBUNK what I post.

To my knowledge, none of us has a functioning crystal ball, so it is impossible to debunk predictions of what will shortly happen.

However, in the circumstances, it's entirely appropriate to point out that every similar prediction in the past has been debunked by the passage of time.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 12, 2010 10:35 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:1. As far as I know, Robert Reich is not a homeopath.

It was a general comment about the homeopathy-loving Huffington Post.

I'm pretty sure pro-homeopathy articles have been published by the New York Times, the Washington Post, and probably the Guardian.

When I actually post pro-homeopath articles, maybe your comment will make a lick of sense.

NineOneFour wrote:2. Finding three articles claiming American decline is not much of a case.

Are you talking about your post or Jeffersonian-marxist's? :coffee:

Guess.

NineOneFour wrote:Fair IS fair, and fair would be posting things that actually DEBUNK what I post.

To my knowledge, none of us has a functioning crystal ball, so it is impossible to debunk predictions of what will shortly happen.

However, in the circumstances, it's entirely appropriate to point out that every similar prediction in the past has been debunked by the passage of time.
[/quote]

Actually, if you read the articles I post, they are not predictive; they are saying what is happening RIGHT NOW.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#16  Postby GreatApe » Aug 12, 2010 10:47 am

crank wrote:
I agree, there are a few conservatives out there who aren't in the bat-shit brigade, routinely pointing out the craziness they see all around them in their party. I can think of Frum, Mark McKinnon and David Brooks off hand. I'm relatively conservative in a lot of my views, but the name has gotten so distorted and warped I don't know what use it is other than as a synonym for crazed-willfully ignorant duplicitous douchebaggery.
+1

:clap: :clap: :clap:
--GA
---------------------------------
"Quiero Saber" : Gipsy Kings
GreatApe

Name: GreatApe
Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Jeffersonian-marxist » Aug 12, 2010 11:16 am

I typed "decline of America" into Google, and I noticed that many of the articles were concentrated in the 1970's and early 1980's. Not surprisingly, these coincided with a period of economic stagnation and recession. Flash forward to depressed 2010, and we hear similar cries of the decline of the US, and its irreversible downward spiral. I'm not saying everything that everything's fine, or that we're going into a golden American century, but I don't need to in order to "debunk" the claim that the US is becoming a third world nation.
Jeffersonian-marxist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 12, 2010 11:47 am

I typed "decline of America" into Google, and I noticed that many of the articles were concentrated in the 1970's and early 1980's. Not surprisingly, these coincided with a period of economic stagnation and recession. Flash forward to depressed 2010, and we hear similar cries of the decline of the US, and its irreversible downward spiral. I'm not saying everything that everything's fine, or that we're going into a golden American century, but I don't need to in order to "debunk" the claim that the US is becoming a third world nation.

That's great, but it's not my claim, it's Huffington's. As I stated, before you obsessively derailed the thread, I'm using this thread to post stories about the decline of America. If you don't think America is in decline, then post some articles that refute this claim.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Jeffersonian-marxist » Aug 12, 2010 12:10 pm

NineOneFour wrote:That's great, but it's not my claim, it's Huffington's. As I stated, before you obsessively derailed the thread, I'm using this thread to post stories about the decline of America. If you don't think America is in decline, then post some articles that refute this claim.

I never said it was "your" claim, I am very careful about those sorts of things. And I haven't "obsessively derailed" this thread. I, admittedly with the intention of being satirical, posted some stories about the decline of the US from decades back. It was you who called me a global warming denialist for doing so.

You seem to be confused about what it means to "refute" or "debunk" some statement. All that is necessary to do so is show why it is not reasonable to believe that statement to be true. I don't need to create a counter-narrative that seems more reasonable in order to "refute" your narrative. I don't believe what the Huffington Post is saying about the decline of the US because people have been saying the same for decades, and the people who have been saying such either make a good deal of money for doing so, or their ideology would be assuaged by such a decline.
Jeffersonian-marxist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 12, 2010 12:13 pm

NineOneFour wrote:That's great, but it's not my claim, it's Huffington's. As I stated, before you obsessively derailed the thread, I'm using this thread to post stories about the decline of America. If you don't think America is in decline, then post some articles that refute this claim.

I never said it was "your" claim, I am very careful about those sorts of things. And I haven't "obsessively derailed" this thread. I, admittedly with the intention of being satirical, posted some stories about the decline of the US from decades back. It was you who called me a global warming denialist for doing so.

You seem to be confused about what it means to "refute" or "debunk" some statement. All that is necessary to do so is show why it is not reasonable to believe that statement to be true. I don't need to create a counter-narrative that seems more reasonable in order to "refute" your narrative. I don't believe what the Huffington Post is saying about the decline of the US because people have been saying the same for decades, and the people who have been saying such either make a good deal of money for doing so, or their ideology would be assuaged by such a decline.

And, now back to the thread...
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs