Plain old Trump (inmate P01135809) Watch.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Plain old Trump Watch.

#341  Postby The_Piper » Apr 19, 2023 1:35 am

It's good for Dominion, but not the rest of us. It's not going to put Fox out of business, not even close. I wanted all of the allegations that have been coming out to have been spoken openly in a trial, and a jury finding Fox guilty. That didn't happen. Fox still took a beating because they had all of those allegations we heard about in the public sphere, and had to pay tons of legal fees right up to the point of trial, then pay out something like 10x the value of Dominion's company. I'm guessing this isn't the end of Fox' legal troubles though. Trump came out yesterday in an all caps rant slamming Fox for not saying the election was stolen. Schadenfreude. :rofl: (obviously hoping Trump gets burned in and out of court someday after he burns everyone else who stood up to protect or enable him, like scumbag Bill Barr.)
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#342  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 19, 2023 1:37 am

don't get me started wrote:
It seems that repeated, provable and egregious lying should have serious consequences for any broadcast media that self-describes as 'news'.

Which is why the content is is described as "opinion journalism" designed for entertainment purposes rather than actual news. Legally (in the US at least) the channel is an entertainment rather than a news channel so is protected by "freedom of speech".

(Elsewhere they can't get away with shit like that and Fox was dropped in the UK because "it wasn't commercially viable" and not because Ofcom were getting twitchy at all. As far as I can tell, outside of countries whose governments are suzerainties of the Murdoch Empire, Fox's availability is patchy).
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#343  Postby The_Piper » May 01, 2023 11:49 pm

Just a commemoration of the day Trump recommended bleach and powerful light for solving the pandemic. Because the doctors might have overlooked that, right? Trump genius has a knack for this stuff. He needs a smack for this stuff. :lol: It's still surreal. This is still surreal. This man held a position of highest power in the world.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#344  Postby Spearthrower » May 02, 2023 3:28 am

And still a significant percentage of Republicans believe this mumbling idiot was the greatest president in U.S. history.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#345  Postby Alan C » May 02, 2023 10:26 am

And CNN are giving him a town hall session. I don't think they should, fuck any concerns about cancel culture or deplatforming, not only is he a proven unrepentant liar but an insurrection inciter as well.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#346  Postby The_Piper » May 02, 2023 1:52 pm

Alan C wrote:And CNN are giving him a town hall session. I don't think they should, fuck any concerns about cancel culture or deplatforming, not only is he a proven unrepentant liar but an insurrection inciter as well.

Oh Jesus, that's depressing. Not that I hold CNN in high regard, but I still thought they were better than platforming such a scumbag again. Maybe they're hoping it casts him in an even more negative light and it will be constructive.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#347  Postby Seabass » May 02, 2023 2:01 pm

The_Piper wrote:Maybe they're hoping it casts him in an even more negative light and it will be constructive.

Nope.

https://www.vox.com/2022/8/26/23322761/cnn-john-malone-david-zaslav-chris-licht-brian-stelter-fox-peter-kafka-column
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#348  Postby Seabass » May 02, 2023 2:07 pm

Platforming Trump now seems a lot like platforming Hitler after the Beer Hall Putsch.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#349  Postby Tortured_Genius » May 02, 2023 11:01 pm

A more detailed perspective:

Could easily be suicide for CNN.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#350  Postby Alan C » May 11, 2023 9:13 am

From accounts it really was an utter clusterfuck, which should have not surprised anyone with eyes, ears and functioning longterm memory. He got no pushback or fact-checking and he had an audience full of his drooling imbecilic sycophants. The interviewer was on a hiding to nothing before stepping into the room.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#351  Postby Animavore » May 17, 2023 9:00 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#352  Postby The_Piper » May 17, 2023 6:46 pm

Animavore wrote:

I listened to that yesterday. It was good, but it could have gone into even more detail. But it gets the point across, the guy is a menace to society. In so many ways.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#353  Postby THWOTH » May 17, 2023 7:24 pm

Jeez. That was grim viewing.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#354  Postby THWOTH » May 24, 2023 10:08 am

Having been found guilty of assault and defamation he goes on the telly the next day to defame and liable again.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#355  Postby Alan C » May 25, 2023 8:50 am

Apparently Carrol's lawyer can basically keep tacking these new libel issues onto the existing successful case without having to go through repeat trials? Knowing him his mouth will keep writing out checks because he can't change his behaviour.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#356  Postby Spearthrower » May 25, 2023 10:45 am

I admit I don't really understand how this works because 'normal' people just don't behave like this - is Carrol simply going to sue again for libel? Because it's surely obvious that she'd win, and because of the wide viewing platform of CNN, she could conceivably suggest that the on-going damage done to her name is of even higher pecuniary liability than last time. Trump doesn't even have the kooky distraction that it's Presidential speech and thus protected.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#357  Postby Alan C » May 26, 2023 8:31 am

I believe she is going to sue him again, based on what I recall from a Politicon podcast.

Reuters has something on it;

https://www.reuters.com/legal/e-jean-ca ... 023-05-22/
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#358  Postby Spearthrower » May 26, 2023 10:38 am

She could make a good livelihood out of it if he just can't learn to moderate himself.

The worst part of the public exposure is already over for her, so these attacks can't really cause her more personal pain, but they do unquestionably harm her reputation when a former President calls her a 'whack job' on T.V. with millions watching.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#359  Postby Alan C » Jun 01, 2023 11:16 am

Meanwhile; oh lordy there might be another tape, this time one showing that Agolf Twittler claimed to have some classified documents about an attack on Iran, knew he couldn't share it because it was classified.
It's been suggested that he's lying about the document mentioned because of some association with General Milley but it could go towards intent if it turns out he knew he had classified documents. That he knew he couldn't just automatically declassify anything, regardless of his public blithering about this.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#360  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 01, 2023 11:24 am

Everyone still treats Trump as if he's a mentally normal and competent person, but he's really not. He didn't calculatingly take classified documents - he took them on a whim because he wanted to. When accused of having them, he lied because he can't do bad things and can't handle any form of criticism. If accused now, it will be the same thing, even calling the recording a fake if pushed, even if he knows really he did it that's not what's really at question in his mind. Basically, Colonel Cathcart captures him best - Trump processes the world in what's good for him and what's not good for him, and nothing more. He's not actually capable of anything more, or at least has given no public indication of it that I've ever seen.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs