President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#16961  Postby Alan C » Jun 26, 2019 8:47 pm

The Orange Fuhrer continues to shit on any science that is counter to the bullshit he spews on climate and the environment;

Team Trump doesn't follow the science

The Trump administration has refused to publicize dozens of government-funded studies that carry warnings about the effects of climate change, defying a longstanding practice of touting such findings by the Agriculture Department’s acclaimed in-house scientists.

The studies range from a groundbreaking discovery that rice loses vitamins in a carbon-rich environment — a potentially serious health concern for the 600 million people world-wide whose diet consists mostly of rice — to a finding that climate change could exacerbate allergy seasons to a warning to farmers about the reduction in quality of grasses important for raising cattle.

Emphasis mine. I'd heard that, at least with some plants, higher CO2 isn't going to be the boon some deniers claim it will be. This appears to add some detail.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#16962  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 26, 2019 9:04 pm

There's also the problem that plants absorb less CO2 in warmer temperatures. One of those dangerous feedback loops.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013 ... 1219683110
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16963  Postby proudfootz » Jun 26, 2019 10:21 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:I don't come up against Consortium News much, but a quick check of all the comments from my leftist groups on Twitter tells me it's deep into red-brownism, publishes the work of Caitlin Johnstone and Max Blumenthal, and pushes many of the same lines as RT. All red flags for me.

Obviously I'll read the pieces if they're of interest and try to keep an open mind, but eish! Eish!

As I don't get much of my new from Twitter I guess I'm out of the loop in which color of leftism passes the purity test.

I get lots of my news from Twitter, usually in the form of links to other media. I also get rich and varied commentary. I've got a nice big selection of leftists, and even centrists, of many different types (socalists, communists, feminists, LGBTQIA+ writers and journalists, and so on) with whom I agree on some things and disagree on others. I follow over a thousand people. :shifty: The twitter histories of all these folks are at my disposal: I can check when they've butted up against certain resources, names, all of it. It works great to vet various resources and see where battle lines have been drawn.

I'm of the internationalist social justice table though, so we love purity tests. They help us weed out bad actors and the fash-curious. Anyone stanning red-brownism and complaining about idpol in common terms can't sit with us. It's been pretty interesting though. I've seen how the SJWs' hyper focus on the oppressed stalls a lot of red-brownism on the international stage; it leads people's sympathies to the victims and people of the state and their struggles, rather than to the state itself. I suspect it's in some ways why often the pro-Putin and pro-Assad left finds common ground with the rightwing in disparaging "identity politics".

Like you I get my news from a variety of sources. Like you I agree with some and disagree with others.

I find it's healthiest for me to have access to several points of view with which to engage.

I don't disparage 'identity politics' as it seems to me simply a survival skill to pool resources and defend as a group when attacked as a group.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16964  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 26, 2019 11:43 pm

Spearthrower wrote:There's also the problem that plants absorb less CO2 in warmer temperatures. One of those dangerous feedback loops.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013 ... 1219683110

And seasonally. In hottest summer, when green is largely absent, not a lot of photosynthesis is occurring. Same when the landscape is frozen.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16965  Postby proudfootz » Jun 27, 2019 3:18 pm

Mike_L wrote:(Vlad and I are very disappointed that he hasn't lifted the sanctions).

Worst. Puppet. Ever.

Vlad should be asking for a refund...
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16966  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 27, 2019 3:46 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Mike_L wrote:(Vlad and I are very disappointed that he hasn't lifted the sanctions).

Worst. Puppet. Ever.

I get it now. You have an incredibly simplistic grasp of the entire affair, thus words like 'no collusion' keep popping out of you, and that's why, from that very limited grasp of the situation, you keep making these silly non-sequiturs.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16967  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jun 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

Worst. Puppet. Ever.

I get it now. You have an incredibly simplistic grasp of the entire affair, thus words like 'no collusion' keep popping out of you, and that's why, from that very limited grasp of the situation, you keep making these silly non-sequiturs.

when you assume it wasn’t sarcasm, that comment is actually quite funny.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#16968  Postby proudfootz » Jun 27, 2019 5:16 pm

Mike_L wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

Worst. Puppet. Ever.

:lol:
Indeed, he should! :thumbup:

Love the face on that puppet!

The simple-minded 'Putin Puppet' meme deserves all the mockery it gets.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16969  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jun 27, 2019 5:54 pm

* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#16970  Postby Alan C » Jun 27, 2019 6:43 pm

Trumpenfuhrer tried to lift sanctions on day one, he had his people show up at the state department to try and push this through. So yes, he is a puppet, failing to lift the sanctions wasn't for lack of will or effort on his part.

Former diplomats; Trump team sought to lift Russia sanctions

He said State Department colleagues approached him, "concerned that the Trump administration, the incoming team was going to unilaterally rescind the sanctions on Russia, which had been placed there because of Russia's aggression on Ukraine. And it was further said by these people that there would be no action required from Russia."

If only he was more transparent about, say, his one-on-ones with Putler [sometimes without ANY other Americans present] there might be less allegations of him being Putler's submissive? :ask:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#16971  Postby Animavore » Jun 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Trying to use the census to flush out immigrants. Facism creeps.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16972  Postby Caper » Jun 27, 2019 7:15 pm

As per Ani above: "Facism creeps." (And picks up speed.)

Mick Mulvaney fires all 25 members of consumer watchdog’s advisory board

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/bus ... a7e1a9555b
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16973  Postby Caper » Jun 27, 2019 7:21 pm

Sorry, that's an old story - perhaps it's been covered here already.
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16974  Postby Animavore » Jun 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Oops! Wrong picture on the last post.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16975  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 27, 2019 8:43 pm

proudfootz wrote:

The meme you introduced into the conversation? :)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16976  Postby Tero » Jun 28, 2019 1:45 am

How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#16977  Postby proudfootz » Jun 28, 2019 8:41 am

Spearthrower wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

While it's flattering you think I have that much power to influence posters here, I'm afraid I'll have to decline that honor.

newolder wrote:Tell me Skinny Puppy, when your glorious Putin Puppet says that Russian interference in American elections is/was a good thing, how does that make you feel inside?

Alan C wrote:Seems Trump's biggest gift to his puppet master is for the US to pull out of NATO. I'll say it again, his father should have pulled out.

The meme has been also in meatspace, just in case you imagine Real Important People aren't also spreading this around.

You may have Clinton to thank for that, as I wasn't one of her handlers then.

Another pratfall for you. Oh Dear!

:coffee:
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16978  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 28, 2019 10:18 am

proudfootz wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

While it's flattering you think I have that much power to influence posters here, I'm afraid I'll have to decline that honor.

You still introduced it into this conversation.

proudfootz wrote:
The meme has been also in meatspace, just in case you imagine Real Important People aren't also spreading this around.

May well be true, but you still introduced it into this conversation.

proudfootz wrote:You may have Clinton to thank for that, as I wasn't one of her handlers then.

May also be true, but still doesn't dispute the point that you introduced it into this conversation.

proudfootz wrote: Another pratfall for you. Oh Dear!

Perhaps, or it could be that you're doing exactly as I already said: failing to engage in honest discussion.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16979  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 28, 2019 10:23 am

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p2702428

Spearthrower wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
I guess I'm damned if I answer, and damned if I don't.

So it goes.

That tends to happen when you're not engaging in a discussion honestly.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p2702443

Spearthrower wrote:Proudfootz - level please.

Yes or No - have you read the Mueller Report?

The one thing that is true here is that you are damned if you have read the report and damned if you haven't, because if you haven't read the report then it exposes that you're borrowing all your opinions of it from somewhere else, and if you claim to have read the report then you are guilty of misrepresenting it to a perverse degree.

I expect that may well have something to do with why you haven't answered a yes/no question.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16980  Postby proudfootz » Jun 28, 2019 2:59 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

You still introduced it into this conversation.

proudfootz wrote:

May well be true, but you still introduced it into this conversation.

proudfootz wrote:You may have Clinton to thank for that, as I wasn't one of her handlers then.

May also be true, but still doesn't dispute the point that you introduced it into this conversation.

proudfootz wrote: Another pratfall for you. Oh Dear!

Perhaps, or it could be that you're doing exactly as I already said: failing to engage in honest discussion.

Funny how that works - everything I say is true, yet you keep accusing me of dishonesty.

Maybe you should just stop embarrassing yourself and let the adults talk.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs