President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#19661  Postby chango369 » Jul 03, 2020 5:21 pm

It is increasingly looking as if Joe Biden can beat President Donald Trump in November. The president seems more and more out of step with the national mood, from his handling of the pandemic to his response to racially biased policing, not to mention a wide array of other issues. Even in key swing states, Trump is losing ground that will be difficult for him to make up.

For Trump, there are two broad pathways to maintaining power. First, we can already see very clearly a strategy designed to suppress voter turnout with the purging of registration rolls of large numbers of mostly urban voters; efforts to suppress mail-in ballots, which are more necessary than ever, given COVID-19; a re-election apparatus that is training 50,000 poll watchers for the purpose of challenging citizens' right to vote on Election Day; and significant efforts to make in-person voting in urban areas as cumbersome as possible in order to have long lines that discourage people from exercising their voting rights.

The second pathway to subverting the election is even more ominous—but we must be cognizant of it because Trump is already laying the groundwork for how he can lose the popular vote, and even lose in the key swing states necessary for an Electoral College victory, but still remain president.

This spring, HBO aired The Plot Against America, based on the Philip Roth novel of how an authoritarian president could grab control of the United States government using emergency powers that no one could foresee. Recent press reports have revealed the compilation by the Brennan Center at New York University of an extensive list of presidential emergency powers that might be inappropriately invoked in a national security crisis. Attorney General William Barr, known for his extremist view of the expanse of presidential power, is widely believed to be developing a Justice Department opinion arguing that the president can exercise emergency powers in certain national security situations, while stating that the courts, being extremely reluctant to intervene in the sphere of a national security emergency, would allow the president to proceed unchecked.

Something like the following scenario is not just possible but increasingly probable because it is clear Trump will do anything to avoid the moniker he hates more than any other: "loser."

Newsweek: How Trump Could Lose the Election—And Still Remain President
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#19662  Postby Seabass » Jul 03, 2020 8:18 pm

:lol:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#19663  Postby The_Piper » Jul 04, 2020 1:43 am

They're playing "Cowgirl in the Sand" by Neil Young at Mount Rushmore. Prediction: Neil Young will ask them not to use his music without permission. Earlier they played "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey twice in a row. Who's running this show?
PBS Live feed -
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19664  Postby The_Piper » Jul 04, 2020 1:46 am

Hermit wrote:

Snopes: All of these images of Maxwell with Trump are real.
]
Melania was hot for Jeffery Epstein. :tehe:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19665  Postby Alan B » Jul 04, 2020 8:26 am

Grauniad
US under siege from 'far-left fascism', says Trump in Mount Rushmore speech

Standing beneath Mount Rushmore on the eve of American independence day, Donald Trump staged a defiant celebration of what critics say is white identity politics and warned the nation’s history is under siege from “far-left fascism”.

The US president defended the symbolism of statues and monuments before a packed crowd at an event that revelled in political incorrectness calculated to enflame the country’s current divisions and enrage liberal critics. There were few face masks and even fewer people of color on stage or in the stands.
Etc., etc.

How can you have 'far-left Fascism'. Far-Left is tending towards Communism while Fascism is Far-Right...

Moron.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19666  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jul 04, 2020 9:36 am

Tortured_Genius wrote:

11. Accuse the opposition of your own manifest faults. This will effectively defuse the possibility of them being used against you as they are dragged into childish argument ("No, you're the biggest crook!").

Tacit admission then (as if it were needed) that Trump is a fascist rewriting history to whitewash slavery and the extermination of indigenous people.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19667  Postby Arcanyn » Jul 04, 2020 9:36 am

Just blatant projection. The left are guilty of all his sins, no matter how little sense it makes.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19668  Postby Svartalf » Jul 04, 2020 9:58 am

Alan B wrote:Grauniad
US under siege from 'far-left fascism', says Trump in Mount Rushmore speech

Standing beneath Mount Rushmore on the eve of American independence day, Donald Trump staged a defiant celebration of what critics say is white identity politics and warned the nation’s history is under siege from “far-left fascism”.

The US president defended the symbolism of statues and monuments before a packed crowd at an event that revelled in political incorrectness calculated to enflame the country’s current divisions and enrage liberal critics. There were few face masks and even fewer people of color on stage or in the stands.
Etc., etc.

How can you have 'far-left Fascism'. Far-Left is tending towards Communism while Fascism is Far-Right...

Moron.

well, political views range along a circular graph, so you could say that hitler was somewhat left of stalin.

and of course prez frump is trying to snow us by drawing attention away from the fact that far right totalitarism is currently ensconced in the white house.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19669  Postby aban57 » Jul 04, 2020 10:39 am

aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19670  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 04, 2020 10:50 am

Why the big wheels inside the DNC couldn’t have picked someone like the former Secretary of Labor is beyond me. Well, not really. I’m not so naive as to think the DNC actually cares about the will of the people.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19671  Postby Caper » Jul 04, 2020 1:08 pm

The_Piper wrote:They're playing "Cowgirl in the Sand" by Neil Young at Mount Rushmore. Prediction: Neil Young will ask them not to use his music without permission. Earlier they played "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey twice in a row. Who's running this show?
PBS Live feed -

5 hours 23 minutes and 44 seconds!
ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL US?!?!?!
:waah: :nono:
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19672  Postby The_Piper » Jul 04, 2020 4:48 pm

Caper wrote:
The_Piper wrote:They're playing "Cowgirl in the Sand" by Neil Young at Mount Rushmore. Prediction: Neil Young will ask them not to use his music without permission. Earlier they played "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey twice in a row. Who's running this show?
PBS Live feed -

5 hours 23 minutes and 44 seconds!
ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL US?!?!?!
:waah: :nono:

It was the live feed which I linked to when it was going on. :lol:
Neil Young has already spoken out against using his music at Mount Rushmore. :picard:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19673  Postby aban57 » Jul 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Apparently, artists can't do anything against that.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/melindanew ... champions/
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19674  Postby Svartalf » Jul 04, 2020 5:17 pm

I"m not surprised shits like trump can get away with doing that kind of stuff just by buying a licence, , the licencing organization seems to be called Bowel Movement International.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19675  Postby Seabass » Jul 04, 2020 7:49 pm

A clip of his insane fascism remarks:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#19676  Postby BWE » Jul 04, 2020 7:56 pm

I know you are but what am i?
BWE

Print view this post

#19677  Postby ronmcd » Jul 04, 2020 8:19 pm

It's like a live action Peter Griffin daydream.

I can't be the first to say that about Trump, but really, that video. It's Peter Griffin.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#19678  Postby Fallible » Jul 04, 2020 10:08 pm

I know this is really very petty, but I can’t bear to watch him. He’s a walking repository of uncomfortable mannerisms.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19679  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 04, 2020 10:09 pm

Fallible wrote:I know this is really very petty, but I can’t bear to watch him. He’s a walking repository of uncomfortable mannerisms.

I won't watch or hear him.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19680  Postby The_Piper » Jul 04, 2020 11:04 pm

He's giving a sniff-laden teleprompter speech in DC right now.
Donald Jr's girlfriend has coronavirus.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs