President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#20121  Postby quas » Sep 17, 2020 11:12 am

Trump is not the problem. The Media is the problem.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... es/616222/
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#20122  Postby aban57 » Sep 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Trump is not the problem. Of course, the president turning his country into fascism is not the problem.

Sure :roll: :roll:
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20123  Postby Thommo » Sep 17, 2020 1:32 pm

The thrust of the article is that Trump is such a massive problem the media can't respond in the way it has before, and that this is true across many other US institutions as well.

It decidedly does not say or imply that Trump is not the problem.
Thommo

Print view this post

#20124  Postby scott1328 » Sep 17, 2020 3:27 pm

I saw this posted on the Feminist News Facebook page.

The question was posed, "Why do people continue supporting Trump no matter what he does?" A lady named Bev answered it this way:

You all don't get it. I live in Trump country, in the Ozarks in southern Missouri, one of the last places where the KKK still has a relatively strong established presence. They don't give a shit what he does. He's just something to rally around and hate liberals, that's it, period. He absolutely realizes that and plays it up. They love it. He knows they love it. The fact that people act like it's anything other than that proves to them that liberals are idiots, all the more reason for high fives all around.

If you keep getting caught up in "why do they not realize this problem" and "how can they still back Trump after this scandal," then you do not understand what the underlying motivating factor of his support is. It's fuck liberals, that's pretty much it.

Have you noticed he can do pretty much anything imaginable, and they'll explain some way that rationalizes it that makes zero logical sense? Because they're not even keeping track of any coherent narrative, it's irrelevant. Fuck liberals is the only relevant thing.

Trust me; I know firsthand what I'm talking about. That's why they just laugh at it all because you all don't even realize they truly don't give a fuck about whatever the conversation is about. It's just a side mission story that doesn't matter anyway.
That's all just trivial details - the economy, health care, whatever.

Fuck liberals.

Look at the issue with not wearing the masks.

I can tell you what that's about. It's about exposing fear. They're playing chicken with nature, and whoever flinches just moved down their internal pecking order, one step closer to being a liberal. You've got to understand the one core value that they hold above all others is hatred for what they consider weakness because that's what they believe strength is, hatred of weakness. And I mean passionate, sadistic hatred. And I'm not exaggerating. Believe me. Sadistic, passionate hatred, and that's what proves they're strong, their passionate hatred for weakness. Sometimes they will lump vulnerability in with weakness.
They do that because people tend to start humbling themselves when they're in some compromising or overwhelming circumstance, and to them, that's an obvious sign of weakness.

Kindness = weakness.
Honesty = weakness.
Compromise = weakness.

They consider their very existence to be superior in every way to anyone who doesn't hate weakness as much as they do.
They consider liberals to be weak people that are inferior, almost a different species, and the fact that liberals are so weak is why they have to unite in large numbers, which they find disgusting, but it's that disgust that is a true expression of their natural superiority.

Go ahead and try to have a logical, rational conversation with them. Just keep in mind what I said here and be forewarned.”

I believe Bev's assessment of the Trumpists in her region. And I personally know some Trumpists who are very much like what she describes.

however, I don't think it describes all or even most Trumpists. But I do believe the less extreme Trumpists give cover and empower the worst of the bunch.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20125  Postby Tortured_Genius » Sep 17, 2020 5:18 pm

Kindness = weakness.
Honesty = weakness.
Compromise = weakness.

They consider their very existence to be superior in every way to anyone who doesn't hate weakness as much as they do.
They consider liberals to be weak people that are inferior, almost a different species, and the fact that liberals are so weak is why they have to unite in large numbers, which they find disgusting, but it's that disgust that is a true expression of their natural superiority.

That's pure unadulterated Nazi ideology.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20126  Postby quas » Sep 17, 2020 5:53 pm

Thommo wrote:The thrust of the article is that Trump is such a massive problem the media can't respond in the way it has before, and that this is true across many other US institutions as well.

If not for the media, Trump couldn't have won the election.
quas

Print view this post

#20127  Postby felltoearth » Sep 17, 2020 6:06 pm

quas wrote:
Thommo wrote:The thrust of the article is that Trump is such a massive problem the media can't respond in the way it has before, and that this is true across many other US institutions as well.

To Thomas’s point, the two aren’t mutually exclusive so stop mischaracterizing the point.
Trump is problem, he saw the soft underbelly of the media, the other half of the problem, and took advantage of it.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20128  Postby quas » Sep 17, 2020 6:32 pm

felltoearth wrote:
quas wrote:

To Thomas’s point, the two aren’t mutually exclusive so stop mischaracterizing the point.
Trump is problem, he saw the soft underbelly of the media, the other half of the problem, and took advantage of it.

Much as Mueller didn’t recognize these realities in time, neither did much of our print, broadcast, and cable media four years ago. Networks ran Trump’s rally speeches endlessly from mid-2015 onward, giving him free airtime valued at some $2 billion. Why his speeches, and not Hillary Clinton’s or Bernie Sanders’s? Because they were deemed great TV, and the channels’ own ratings went up when the rallies were on. As the race continued, cable channels demonstrated their supposed balance by stocking political discussion panels not with representatives of conservative viewpoints but rather with tribalists and die-hard team members, people who would defend whatever Trump had done or said. (One of these people is now the White House press secretary, and her press briefings are like her old cable hits.) The choice of panelists did not reflect a range of policy viewpoints; it was sitcom casting, with people playing their predictable, recognizable parts.

Also in pursuit of the ritual of balance, the networks offset coverage of Donald Trump’s ethical liabilities and character defects, which would have proved disqualifying in any other candidate for nearly any other job, with intense investigation of what they insisted were Hillary Clinton’s serious email problems. Six weeks before the election, Gallup published a prophetic analysis showing what Americans had heard about each candidate. For Trump, the words people most recognized from all the coverage were speech, immigration, and Mexico. For Clinton, one word dwarfed all others: EMAIL. The next two on the list, much less recognized, were lie and Foundation. (The Clinton Foundation, set up by Bill Clinton, was the object of sustained scrutiny for supposedly shady dealings that amount to an average fortnight’s revelations for the Trump empire.) One week before the election, The New York Times devoted the entire top half of its front page to stories about FBI Director James Comey’s reopening of an investigation into the emails. “New Emails Jolt Clinton Campaign in Race’s Last Days” was the headline on the front page’s lead story. “With 11 Days to Go, Trump Says Revelation ‘Changes Everything,’” read another front-page headline.

I agree with everything here, except for the first sentence where it says the media only failed doing its job since 2015/2016. Trump didn't invent new ways of manipulating the media, he exploited pre-existing flaws in the media system. It's like how COVID-19 exposes pre-existing weaknesses in the healthcare systems worldwide. The media has always been shit at reporting news stories. This has been going on since a long ass time. Remember Iraq War, Brexit, bla bla bla... that's the media fucking up.
quas

Print view this post

#20129  Postby chango369 » Sep 17, 2020 11:53 pm

This podcast with Noel Casler gives an alleged peek behind closed doors. It all sounds sooo plausible.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/41681186
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#20130  Postby Hermit » Sep 18, 2020 2:47 am

Tortured_Genius wrote:

Kindness = weakness.
Honesty = weakness.
Compromise = weakness.

That's pure unadulterated Nazi ideology.

Nazi ideology and practice insisted on kindness and honesty - among each other.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#20131  Postby Seabass » Sep 18, 2020 8:27 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#20132  Postby chango369 » Sep 19, 2020 10:52 pm

Trump says to a crowd in Minnesota that they've got good genes and compares them to racehorses.

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#20133  Postby Alan C » Sep 20, 2020 1:24 am

His incoherent ramblings at his Nuremberg rallies are getting more incoherent. Even going on about a journalist hit with a canister [actually it was a rubber bullet] and talking about an executive order to stop Biden becoming president. Although it looks like America will land the first astronaut on Nars so there is that.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#20134  Postby Svartalf » Sep 20, 2020 10:01 am

Well, he's got Nuremberg rallies now, I'm waiting for his Nürnberg trial :popcorn:
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20135  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 20, 2020 5:12 pm

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/19/media/trump-velshi-msnbc-shot/index.html

Trump mocks MSNBC anchor Ali Velshi for getting shot with rubber bullet

President Donald Trump on Friday mocked an American news anchor for being shot with a rubber bullet during George Floyd protests in May, calling it a "beautiful sight" during a political rally in Minnesota.
While speaking of the protests against racial injustice that swept the country earlier this year, Trump recalled the moment that police fired on MSNBC anchor Ali Velshi and his crew as they were reporting from Minneapolis.
"I remember this guy Velshi," Trump said. "He got hit in the knee with a canister of tear gas and he went down. He was down. 'My knee, my knee.' Nobody cared, these guys didn't care, they moved him aside."

"And they just walked right through. It was the most beautiful thing," Trump said. "No, because after we take all that crap for weeks and weeks, and you finally see men get up there and go right through them, wasn't it really a beautiful sight? It's called law and order."
The crowd then erupted in applause and cheers.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20136  Postby Svartalf » Sep 20, 2020 5:18 pm

I'll mock trump if he ever gets shivved while on a clinker toilet.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20137  Postby Caper » Sep 21, 2020 6:32 pm

My nomination for Youtube comment of the week:
(This could go in several threads.)

"It was a typo. The Mayans meant 2020."
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20138  Postby chango369 » Sep 21, 2020 9:17 pm

Caper wrote:My nomination for Youtube comment of the week:
(This could go in several threads.)

"It was a typo. The Mayans meant 2020."

What is interesting about the end of this year, is that there is a Great Conjunction occurring exactly on the day of the Winter Solstice. :priest:

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#20139  Postby Alan C » Sep 22, 2020 4:25 am

So we'll be needing some Witchers then? [ok, I happen to be playing through Witcher III]
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#20140  Postby Evolving » Sep 22, 2020 6:06 am

Which is the greatest conjunction, in fact? They tend to be quite short. “Because” and “whether” are the greatest ones that I can think of, off the top of my head.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs