Shadow cast over the success of the Rosetta Mission

By a shirt

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Shadow cast over the success of the Rosetta Mission

#581  Postby kennyc » Nov 21, 2014 10:16 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Boyle wrote:Patriarchy - 1
Feminazi's - 0

Checkmate.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drunk:

I can quite categorically state, right here and now, Kenny, without a shadow of a doubt, that I don't believe you actually understand the true meaning and sentiment behind this comment.

And this is without communicating with Boyle about it in any way whatsoever. He can verify this.

If I am wrong about it, then I will eat my dog. She's very, very large, so that may be quite a challenge.

:cheers:

That fits quite well with your understanding of the the entire issue then.

Eat up.

It's a wrap people.

/thread
:lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#582  Postby Fallible » Nov 21, 2014 10:17 pm

So...which time of the moth were you referring to?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#583  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 21, 2014 10:18 pm

kennyc wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Feminazi's - 0

Checkmate.

I can quite categorically state, right here and now, Kenny, without a shadow of a doubt, that I don't believe you actually understand the true meaning and sentiment behind this comment.

And this is without communicating with Boyle about it in any way whatsoever. He can verify this.

If I am wrong about it, then I will eat my dog. She's very, very large, so that may be quite a challenge.

Eat up.

It's a wrap people.

/thread

OMFG.......

You go in the same box as Ed205, or whatever the hell he's called.

God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#584  Postby kennyc » Nov 21, 2014 10:19 pm

Fallible wrote:So...which time of the moth were you referring to?

Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#585  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 21, 2014 10:21 pm

Fallible wrote:So...which time of the moth were you referring to?

He doesn't know, Fall, he doesn't know. Month or moth, it's all the same to his sexist, ignorant, bigoted mind.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#586  Postby Pulsar » Nov 21, 2014 10:25 pm

:box:
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#587  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Pulsar wrote: :box:

Do you understand Boyle's comment, Pulsar?

This post of yours seems to indicate that you might actually have a clue.
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#588  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 21, 2014 10:40 pm

kennyc wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Feminazi's - 0

Checkmate.

Eat up.

It's a wrap people.

/thread

Go on then, Kenny.

Tell us all what Boyle meant.

I can't wait to see your philosophical explanation of it.

I'm sure there are others waiting with bated breath too.

After all, you are such a.....

I'm sorry, but words fail me.....
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#589  Postby kennyc » Nov 21, 2014 10:57 pm

As I said. :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#590  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 21, 2014 11:03 pm

kennyc wrote:As I said. :D

You said fuck all, Kenny.
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#591  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 21, 2014 11:18 pm

A short musical interlude might be in order at this point. Just while we wait for Kenny to formulate a proper response, you understand.

Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#592  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Nov 21, 2014 11:59 pm

That's the most intelligent thing that's been posted in this thread. Thank you, DD.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#593  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Nov 22, 2014 12:10 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:
Thommo wrote:
It wasn't. I used it to say that people here aren't doing it (post #435). That's it. That's the sum total of its use (and I'm not even on the other side), prior to Rachel deliberately "quoting" it (post #440) out of context to escalate the confrontation.

Not quite, Thommo, not quite. And I'm sorry, but if we're going to be picking nits, then what you've said here isn't quite correct, and is an unfair representation of Rachel's post.

I've looked back, so help me, and you said, in the midst of your otherwise excellent post
Thommo wrote:I'm sure nobody here will be hounding him further

which could be read as meaning that you think people here have been hounding him. The addition of the word 'further' is what gives weight to that reading. Which is unfortunate. You may have meant that people here weren't doing it, and that the 'further' referred to elsewhere, but that isn't how it reads.

Rachel's response is perfectly understandable when seen in this light, and as far as I can see is perfectly acceptable and is in no way designed to 'escalate the confrontation'.

So there. Daffodils rule!

That's the most likely explanation given the least number of assumptions are involved in it. Obviously though presuming malice is more reasonable.

And I'm the one escalating confrontation? Give me strength. This is just nitpicking. I have no qualms with the given explanation but, if the intention wasn't to present those criticising Matt Taylor's choice as "hounding", which I accept, referring to further hounding, which implies past hounding, was a pretty sloppy way to present matters.

You can throw your hands up and say you're being unfairly picked on and someone is "deliberately" (give me a break - you'll have to do better than mere accusation in order to determine deliberateness) being confrontational OR you can take it as an opportunity to hear insight on how what you see reads to other people and reflect on how you express yourself.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#594  Postby laklak » Nov 22, 2014 12:11 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:That's the most intelligent thing that's been posted in this thread. Thank you, DD.

Well, up till now.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#595  Postby ED209 » Nov 22, 2014 12:13 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:That's the most intelligent thing that's been posted in this thread. Thank you, DD.

:lol: and the five most active posters to this topic:

Who posted?
This is a list of all members who posted in this topic.
Username Posts
Doubtdispelled 119
Evolving 59
Rachel Bronwyn 41
kennyc 38
Skinny Puppy 32
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#596  Postby NuclMan » Nov 22, 2014 12:15 am

Wow, I can't believe I only just started reading this thread today. I read more of the other thread, avoiding this one thinking it was referring to shadowy figures on the comet itself :lol:
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#597  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 22, 2014 12:16 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:
Thommo wrote:
It wasn't. I used it to say that people here aren't doing it (post #435). That's it. That's the sum total of its use (and I'm not even on the other side), prior to Rachel deliberately "quoting" it (post #440) out of context to escalate the confrontation.

Not quite, Thommo, not quite. And I'm sorry, but if we're going to be picking nits, then what you've said here isn't quite correct, and is an unfair representation of Rachel's post.

I've looked back, so help me, and you said, in the midst of your otherwise excellent post
Thommo wrote:I'm sure nobody here will be hounding him further

which could be read as meaning that you think people here have been hounding him. The addition of the word 'further' is what gives weight to that reading. Which is unfortunate. You may have meant that people here weren't doing it, and that the 'further' referred to elsewhere, but that isn't how it reads.

Rachel's response is perfectly understandable when seen in this light, and as far as I can see is perfectly acceptable and is in no way designed to 'escalate the confrontation'.

So there. Daffodils rule!

That's the most likely explanation given the least number of assumptions are involved in it. Obviously though presuming malice is more reasonable.

And I'm the one escalating confrontation? Give me strength. This is just nitpicking. I have no qualms with the given explanation but, if the intention wasn't to present those criticising Matt Taylor's choice as "hounding", which I accept, referring to further hounding, which implies past hounding, was a pretty sloppy way to present matters.

You can throw your hands up and say you're being unfairly picked on and someone is "deliberately" (give me a break - you'll have to do better than mere accusation in order to determine deliberateness) being confrontational OR you can take it as an opportunity to hear insight on how what you see reads to other people and reflect on how you express yourself.

Thommo has asked me to look at this matter again, Rachel, which I will do. Until then I think we should hang fire.

FWIW, we are not in total disagreement about it.
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#598  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Nov 22, 2014 12:16 am

BTDubz, I'm fucking terrified of moths so I'm GTFOing.

ED209 wrote:

:lol: and the five most active posters to this topic:

Who posted?
This is a list of all members who posted in this topic.
Username Posts
Doubtdispelled 119
Evolving 59
Rachel Bronwyn 41
kennyc 38
Skinny Puppy 32

Some of us can laugh at ourselves,
Last edited by Rachel Bronwyn on Nov 22, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#599  Postby Rumraket » Nov 22, 2014 12:17 am

Evolving wrote:And all of us on this side of the argument (in this thread) have been at pains to stress that.

I for one never got the impression that any of the people I have been arguing with, had any issue about what Matt Taylor personally thinks of women.

My gripe has been with the people who maintain that the shirt symbolizes a systemic view on women as nothing but sex objects (or that such views are particularly over represented in STEM fields), or that wearing the shirt reinforces this misconception. I think the only point that has some merit is the last one, that the shirt might reinforce this view. But then instead of complaining about the shirt, I think it should be explained that it is in point of fact not what these people take it to be.

It seems to me this perceived symbolism is forcefully extracted through some highly unwarranted extrapolations. I get the impression that things are being assumed about what naked or scantily clad women symbolise in general, combined with the well-known fact that there is male-favoring inequalities in things like leadership positions and financial rewards/salary(and more). But this is where I think the complaint about the shirt disconnects from reality, because it is taken as some sort of symptom of this latter problem.

As I wrote earlier in the thread, in hindsight it is rationally undeniable that wearing the shirt was a bad PR decision given the response it has produced, but ultimately I think the fault lies with the people who became outraged or turned off by it, because in my view they have a skewed picture of reality with respect to what such a shirt symbolizes.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#600  Postby Rumraket » Nov 22, 2014 12:20 am

NamelessFaceless wrote:Uh, yeah, Pulsar that's not the same thing.

It wasn't the way he was dressed. It was the subtle - or not so subtle - message contained on his clothing. It's his message that's being criticized, not the style.

So that message contained on his clothing, what is that and how do you know that?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs