UK EU Referendum

It's on

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK EU Referendum

#4261  Postby Warren Dew » Oct 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Well then it is probably likely that Parliament will get the vote on Brexit.

Parliament 'very likely' to be asked to agree Brexit deal

The three wells.

I'd interpret that as Parliament voting on the post-Brexit negotiated trade deal with the EU, if any. If they vote "no", then hard Brexit, as I wouldn't think the EU would allow the UK to remain two years after triggering Article 50. I could be missing something.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#4262  Postby mrjonno » Oct 18, 2016 9:06 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Well then it is probably likely that Parliament will get the vote on Brexit.

Parliament 'very likely' to be asked to agree Brexit deal

The three wells.

I'd interpret that as Parliament voting on the post-Brexit negotiated trade deal with the EU, if any. If they vote "no", then hard Brexit, as I wouldn't think the EU would allow the UK to remain two years after triggering Article 50. I could be missing something.

That's definitely what it means and parliament voting no would not only mean WTO rules exit it would mean the fall of the government and considering the state of country quite possibly complete economic collapse
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4263  Postby ronmcd » Oct 20, 2016 10:46 am

Just fyi

.@ScotGov ministers @FionaHyslop & @Feorlean meet @GuyVerhofstadt in Brussels - the EU lead Brexit negotiator who supports #ScotlandInEurope

https://twitter.com/GrayInGlasgow/statu ... 1987367936

ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4264  Postby Byron » Oct 20, 2016 11:35 am

Screw their self-imposed rule about the request coming from national governments: to avoid Project Fear 3, the EU needs to give Scotland cast-iron guarantees about her place in the bloc post-independence; and particularly, shoot down the Spanish veto bogeyman. Hopefully this glad-handing will be a step towards that.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#4265  Postby mrjonno » Oct 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Byron wrote:Screw their self-imposed rule about the request coming from national governments: to avoid Project Fear 3, the EU needs to give Scotland cast-iron guarantees about her place in the bloc post-independence; and particularly, shoot down the Spanish veto bogeyman. Hopefully this glad-handing will be a step towards that.

But its got to be trade off, if the EU offers membership it should require membership of the Euro so that Scotland can show its not just little England and is dedicated to the project.

Membership of the Euro is far better than we will make it up what will will do at a later date, some people won't like it but not that many on the independence side
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4266  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 20, 2016 12:53 pm

Entirely agree. Member of the EU plus member of the Euroland should be the minimal offered.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4267  Postby mcgruff » Oct 20, 2016 1:07 pm

Scotland might have to agree in principle to join the Euro but will be left to proceed at its own pace - like Sweden.
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4268  Postby mrjonno » Oct 20, 2016 1:24 pm

mcgruff wrote:Scotland might have to agree in principle to join the Euro but will be left to proceed at its own pace - like Sweden.

That's a bit reasonable, you should be Prime Minister :).
Point is might want to as much as possible reduce any unknowns , that's going to include things people don't like
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4269  Postby ronmcd » Oct 20, 2016 1:29 pm

mrjonno wrote:
mcgruff wrote:Scotland might have to agree in principle to join the Euro but will be left to proceed at its own pace - like Sweden.

Point is might want to as much as possible reduce any unknowns , that's going to include things people don't like

It's not that Scotland would be required to join euro as some (who argue against scottish independence) argue. It's that Scotland wouldnt qualify to join the euro initially, and there is no method to impose it on us.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4270  Postby mrjonno » Oct 20, 2016 1:55 pm

I would just put all the cards on the table and embrace the political side of Europe as well (something England never has)

The EU will fund Scotland during a transition but it will be at a price (spending controls, austerity etc). The EU isn't a rich man clubs its a capitalist club that works with countries to become rich.
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4271  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 20, 2016 2:02 pm

ronmcd wrote:
mrjonno wrote:

It's not that Scotland would be required to join euro as some (who argue against scottish independence) argue. It's that Scotland wouldnt qualify to join the euro initially, and there is no method to impose it on us.

I never realised the Scottish economy was in such bad shape.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4272  Postby mrjonno » Oct 20, 2016 2:06 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
ronmcd wrote:
mrjonno wrote:

Better than Greece but you wouldn't let Greece in if they applied now. Independence would involve a lot of pain (but not as much as staying in the UK). Presumably Scotland economy is probably better than Poland was 10 years ago.
The advantages of Scotland joining for the EU isn't really about economics its about politics, Hey look are the UK ,only countries that have completely lost the plot want to leave the EU etc
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4273  Postby ronmcd » Oct 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
ronmcd wrote:
mrjonno wrote:

That's not the reason, Scotland just wouldnt meet the criteria. Wouldn't have in 2014 either, when our deficit (so-called deficit, which doesnt actually exist) was relatively low.

The entry requirements are explained here:
http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2013/11/5894/15
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4274  Postby ronmcd » Oct 20, 2016 3:23 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
ronmcd wrote:
mrjonno wrote:

Scotland's economy is fine, could be better of course. We're a wealthy modern diverse economy.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4275  Postby mrjonno » Oct 20, 2016 3:27 pm

Scotland's economy is fine, could be better of course. We're a wealthy modern diverse economy.

But the UK is trying to fix that with Brexit, my main concern about Scottish independence is it will now be on the basis of them being completely pissed of with the English which they have ever right to be rather than more positive things which is bad if you are English and want to live there
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4276  Postby ronmcd » Oct 20, 2016 4:05 pm

mrjonno wrote:

But the UK is trying to fix that with Brexit, my main concern about Scottish independence is it will now be on the basis of them being completely pissed of with the English which they have ever right to be rather than more positive things which is bad if you are English and want to live there

That's bollocks, with big hairy bollocks on top.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4277  Postby The Hanging Monkey » Oct 20, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm English and go to Scotland a lot. I've never been made to feel anything but totally welcome.

I love Scotland, it's a great country. I prefer it to England.
The Hanging Monkey

Name: Michael
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4279  Postby Byron » Oct 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Yup, via a handy loophole, while joining the Euro's theoretically mandatory absent an opt-out (like Denmark's), joining ERM II's optional, which Sweden's taken full advantage of.

If Scotland can inherit the UK's membership*, opt-outs and all, even better.

* On one theory, since the UK only came into existence with Union between England and Scotland, if Scots vote to dissolve it, the UK ceases to exist. Either both are successor states, or neither is.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#4280  Postby ronmcd » Oct 20, 2016 7:37 pm

Byron wrote:
* On one theory, since the UK only came into existence with Union between England and Scotland, if Scots vote to dissolve it, the UK ceases to exist. Either both are successor states, or neither is.

Interestingly, I think in the 2014 referendum everyone (for different reasons) wanted to avoid talking about this point. The UK govt wanted to say LA LA LA NOT LISTENING LOOK OUR LAWYERS SAY WE'RE CONTINUING STATE and the Scottish govt wanted to keep it in their back pocket for the negotiations. Because the whole currency/oil/debts/assets discussion becomes very interesting in a legal and practical sense when Scotland is breaking a union of equals compared to leaving a continuing state.

The argument may resurface soon.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs